5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book
Published 22 months ago by bexr

3.0 out of 5 stars What has love stolen from you?
Published 18 months ago by Fiction_Fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 25 Jun. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm always a bit sceptical when "adding a new author" to my list, but I'm thrilled to say that Claire Garber is now in my top 5 of chick-lit type authors. Although there is still "the will-they won't-they get together" thread that runs through this story, and yes, you are willing Kate to hook up with her childhood friend and crush, Peter Parker (yes, that's his name!), the main theme of the story is one that does make you think a little deeper. What has falling in love stolen from you? What would you be doing if you hadn't fallen in love, hadn't become part of 2 rather than 1. What are your "love's stolen dreams"? I REALLY love the author's writing style - witty, clever, sharp, emotional - and the depth to her writing is extremely enjoyable. I had to admit that I tend to skim-read a lot of chick-lit type books, and although I don't want to sound like I'm some above my station, some of them don't really need a lot of concentration. It is refreshing to read what is essentially a love story, but with a great and unique insight into something that maybe a lot of us hadn't really thought about or analysed. I would wholeheartedly recommend this book and I really can't wait until the next Claire Garder novel comes out - I shall certainly be buying it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outrageously Laugh Out Loud, 27 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Love is a Thief (Kindle Edition)
This was a very heart warming and hilarious chick-lit.

I like the cover, but feel it could have been more enticing. It seems a little plain for the ride that the story really is.

This book had a good pace and plenty of hilarious points. I really enjoyed this book.

It's full of fantastic philosophical advice on life and love. It made me laugh out loud a lot, and I don't think I've ever read more profanities in a whole book than I've read in a single page of Love Is A Thief. But it WORKS. The characters are a wide mix of personalities, with a few stereotypes thrown in. What would a chick-lit be without a gay best friend or the office busy-body who everyone else loves? And of course there has to be a love lost somewhere, or several in this case.

There were a few "OH MY GOD" moments in this book, when I sat gobsmacked and unable to think properly, which was great. There is passion and life in this book.

This book really made me stop and think about my life. What has love stolen from me? How different would my life be without love? What have I given up for love? It's not often a book has me questioning most aspects of my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars love is a thief, 21 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Love is a Thief (Kindle Edition)
A fantastic book from a new author. It is witty, and a compelling read for all. I really enjoyed this. Well done looking forward to the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and thought-provoking, 8 July 2013
What an enjoyable book!
The characters and brilliantly written and so, so funny, Federico being a particular fave. This is one of those books where you can see all the action taking place clearly in your mind as you read. I also loved the main character and found her very relatable and saw a lot of myself in her.
It is definitely a chick lit book, but the wonderful idea of love stealing your own dreams and aspirations from you really gets you thinking as well. It makes you want to sit down and figure your own love stolen dreams and encourages you to get them back, something I've NEVER thought about before.
Thank you for a fantastic read and inspiring me to go traveling a bit more in the near future (my love stolen dream!)

3.0 out of 5 stars What has love stolen from you?, 1 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Love is a Thief (Paperback)
The idea behind Love is a Thief was fantastic. How many times have I given something up because of being with a certain boyfriend... I could absolutely relate to protagonist Kate. She moved to France and lived with her ski instruction (who she thought was her soul mate) there only to break up and be forced to move back home. Kate felt as though she had wasted so much time being who her boyfriend wanted her to be instead of doing things for herself. The worst thing is, she works for a magazine called True Love; how much of a bummer must that be when you've got a broken heart?

So, she writes an article without permission about what love stole from her and what she wanted to do about that. The response she gets from women all over the country is phenomenal and even though the magazine aren't happy about what Kate has done, they can't ignore what their readers want. Not only does the book follow Kate and her lost dreams, but also those of people around her and those of others. I really enjoyed reading about the range of things that people thought love had stolen from them and how they intended to go about fixing that.

The characters in this book were very varied and provided quite a lot of comedy; this was mainly due to the fact that there were a fair few large and loud personalities. What made the characters so great in this book though is that they were so real. The objectives planned by women throughout the book are more than reasonable and I could certainly relate to what some of them wanted to do. It also showed just how different people are and the things that people tend to miss out on in life.

Unfortunately, the romance is quite lacking in Love is a Thief. There is a love interest for Kate in the form of Peter Parker (no, not like Spiderman). While there was so much that could have been done with this pairing, it always fell quite short. Just when I thought something was going to happen, it didn't. The two have a bit of a history as they were friends when they were children and then something happened to make Peter move away without a word. This was the most interesting thing about Kate and Peter and without this, there wouldn't really have been much point to Peter's character.

Overall, Love is a Thief is a pretty good book. There could have been more romance but the actual plot and subject of the story was really captivating.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vaguely Unbelievable, 30 Oct. 2013
Brett H "pentangle" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After the breakup of a lengthy and torrid relationship Kate Winters feels that her life is in ruins. She fears she will never find Mr Right and have the family she wants. After being forcefully removed from Heathrow Airport by mental health professionals, she decides to devote her life to helping people reclaim the dreams that their love relationships have stolen from them.

This is soon a national campaign helped by the fact that Kate works for a woman's magazine called True Love. This is basically a story of that quest which untimately results Kate achieving her own love-stolen dreams. It is enlivened by the enigmatic Peter, whom Kate clearly has a thing for, and Kate's grandmother who raised her and is a colourful lady who has clearly taken to heart the maxim `When I am old I shall wear purple'. The editorial staff of True Love and Kate's various friends who are all real characters also enrich the main story line with their various relationships and life crises. Kate's weird parents make a cameo appearance which threatens Peter and Kate's blossoming relationship.

This is a silly, sweet, funny novel which has many engaging and well drawn characters. If you enjoyed the Shopaholic series of novels by Sophie Kinsella and are a big fan of Sue Townsend's Adrian Mole; the Cappuccino years then you will probably love this novel. Whilst I enjoyed the characterisation and the references to the 80s and 90s TV programmes, I found the basic story line vaguely unbelievable which rather limited my enjoyment.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Laugh Riot!, 16 July 2013
This review is from: Love is a Thief (Paperback)
There comes a time in all of our lives when we question everything that we've ever done. When we wonder... what happened to all those dreams I had? Did I give them up? But for what? For some thing, or worse, for someone? Did someone steal my dreams? When I've given up my dreams, what is it that I have for myself at the end of the day?

After being dumped by her French fiance whom she thought was 'the one', Kate Winters finds herself thinking these exact thoughts. Maybe love took these away from her? With even the mention of his name or a sympathetic 'Oh, I heard what happened' bringing on the waterworks, Kate is definitely not at the top of things. And the irony of her tragic story is that she is now working at a magazine called True Love of all things! Yeah, life certainly isn't kind.

This gets her thinking of all the other women around the world who have also had to give up something for love. And so she launches a campaign 'Love Stolen Dreams' inviting all readers to join her in her journey of taking back her dreams by sending in their love stolen dreams, suggesting what she should do next, and maybe going on their own Love Quests.

I'll tell you one thing. It is humanly impossible to read this book and not burst into laughter (no matter where you are) atleast once. The author's writing style is very candid and conversational. You may think that's part of the package, since the story is written in first person, but there are several books that dont give you that 'in' into the character's ( (though sometimes, the characters just keep going on and on, and just dont stop) head like Love is A Thief does. For a debut author, she's done a marvelous job of it!

What I loved about this book was how unique it is in it's approach to love. Yes, it starts out with Love as the enemy, stealing dreams left and right, and something you've got to fight against. As the book went on, I wondered, though, that maybe it was taking this 'Love stole my dreams' idea a bit too far. It could have been the person themselves who maybe grew out of the dream, or maybe the dream was not a correct fit for them, or maybe the fault lies in themselves for not pursuing their dreams. Why blame Love or their partners? These questions were put to rest later, as the author addresses these issues as the story progresses.

Every chapter begins with a short story. Either a love story dream or two, or a story from Kate's past. The love stolen dreams make for interesting and insightful reading, though there are some pointless and hilarious ones thrown in as well.

In her stories, Kate divulges a bit about her childhood best friend Peter Parker, who has now returned to London with a Ph.D., after 15 years of radio silence.

Peter Parker is an intriguing character. He kind of, kind of reminded me of Darcy. There's that same restraint in him, of words and emotion, and he seems to hold himself the same way too, a little aloof from his fellow mortals. Because of which, when he unwinds enough to express his feelings, it makes for a very intense scene. Though there is plenty of attraction between the two right from the start, the focus is more on the LSD, with this playing only a side role.

I loved how the author made Kate question her ideas of love, and herself, and come up with answers that were probably the ideas she thought she had, but ended up with her coming the really know herself.

I was sad to see this book end, but I was happy about the ending, which wasn't exactly a happliy-ever-after in the conventional sense, but a happily-ever-after nevertheless.

Bottomline: Love is A Thief can double as chick lit and self help, with it's hilarious and head on approach to live and love. Claire Garber has succeeded in writing a book that will provide comfort, laughter and lessons to women everywhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love has a lot to answer for..., 14 Feb. 2014
Petra "I love to read" "book addict!!!" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Love is a Thief by Claire Garber for me was a great read which I thoroughly enjoyed once I actually accepted Kate as a character who was quite sane! Kate is one character who I wont forget as she tries to as accept that the man she put her heart and soul into their relationship now has decided he does not Love her anymore. Add the fact that Kate works for a magazine which concentrates on the subject of true love really adds to the story as "Pirate Kate" writes an article asking their readers what they have lost in their lives because of falling in love. This is when the action begins as Kate involves herself in the lives of those who write in with stories of lost hopes and dreams, which do involve the odd sad story but for me I was constantly stealing time to get back to reading about Pirate Kate and her own lost dreams.
This book for me is the perfect movie as it creates a lot of laughs and chuckles add a large dollop of cringing as Kate tries her hardest to claim back what she has lost plus what her readers have lost to being in love. Add in a best friend called Peter Parker, but I promise not a web is involved within this excellent storyline...
Love is a thief written by Claire Garber is a great read which I am happy to recommend as a very entertaining read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Gave up, 3 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Love is a Thief (Paperback)
I had to give this up halfway through - it made absolutely zero sense to me. Such disorganized writing.

Her friend Federico suddenly appeared and I just hoped he'd go away. Other characters were just as irritating. The story seemed to jump around here there and everywhere. I had no idea what she was talking about.

A shame - as the blurb and cover looked promising - but I just couldn't face reading any more of this nonsense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love really is a thief....think about it....., 6 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Love is a Thief (Paperback)
This book is about knowing yourself, knowing what you are without love, and recognising that love changes who you are.

I found this book to be inspiring, unique and funny. I loved the characters, who are so wonderfully defined. Kate's grandma and the other residents of Pepperpots are fabulous. I adored Peter Parker (and I challenge you not to!), and his wonderfully unique story (I didn't see the twist, and was totally engrossed at the potential catastrophe ). I even loved Chad, who some of you will hate....but his constant use of the word 't**t' or 't***ting' as every other word in a sentence did make me laugh.

This story is based on real life heartbreak, yet at the same time it is full of uplifting moments. It makes you think about your own life - "If you knew you were going to spend the rest of your life alone, you would never fall in love, never settle down, never have children, what would you want to do? What would make you happy? What would fill up your time, your heart, your soul for the rest of your days? Are you currently doing that thing?"

Ultimately, it made me smile, it made me laugh and it made me want more.

Love is a Thief