Edition: Y Edition|Change

on 4 November 2013
Just as i expected and more. This game is very very good value for money since there is so much to do! It is quite reasonable to expect hundreds of hours of fun from this game.
There are hundreds of Pokémon to capture and gym leaders to beat... But, don't stop there! The endgame is raising your team of champs and battling people online! So many people leave the gane after beating the elite 4.
I love the 3d effects of this game, since it's the first title I've seriously played since Ruby. The game had so many new additions and old nostalgia too with the reintroduction of previous pokemon. It's never a dull sight when you throw your pokeball and a Blastoise emerges!

This is a must buy! I am 23 years old and I'm not afraid to admit i love this game!
on 22 October 2013
I'll be honest with you - this wasn't even on my radar until release day.

The last Pokemon game I played was the original Red back in the day. Since then I have moved on to new franchises, even new gaming platforms (predominantly PC gaming nowadays). I only picked this up when I was trading in my Xbox 360, when I didn't really know what to use my store credit on.

I'm pretty much blown away. I haven't had as much fun playing a game in a while. I'm about 9 hours in, and about 7 of these hours were played non-stop on Saturday whilst the girlfriend was at work.

The graphics are fantastic, the art style complimenting the bright, vivid Pokemon and environments. I also want to mention how great the world looks, especially when the perspective of the camera changes as you play (for example, Lumiose City) which really add a whole other level of immersion.

My only negative so far would be the difficulty: I know this game is probably aimed towards a younger audience, and I'm only 9-ish hours in so can't really comment on the "late game", but I haven't really faced a challenging opponent as of yet, but am hoping this changes.

If you are familiar with Pokemon games, this will all be familiar to you. There is enough to warrant you playing through the newest version. If you are completely new to Pokemon, or even an old codger like me (I'm 30 years young!) there is still enough here to see and do to keep you entertained for many, many hours.

Pokemon has rekindled my love for fun like no other recent game has, and does so with it's simple, addictive gameplay.

Go catch them all!
on 24 December 2013
I have to say, This was the Pokemon game I was waiting for! Haven't we all dreamed of a 3D Pokemon game? With a more interesting take on the idea of the Crime Syndicate (Team Flare), awesome battling systems and Mega Evolution! What's not to like?
The answer: Not a lot. The story is an interesting one, with Team Flare wanting to kill the world to make it nice and pretty, and the story actually is significantly more mysterious, with the addition of AZ, a wandering 'giant'. Although it's not as great as the ORIGINAL team plasma storyline, it's still an interesting one.
The region is much better than the previous generation. Although they fixed the problem with Unova in B2W2, it still didn't stop the fact that BW made you ALWAYS go on the beaten track, so this was a pleasant surprise.
One problem I have with the game is that there is a VERY limited aftergame, with only the mega stones and Mewtwo to find, as well as those infuriating roaming birds!
Mega Evolution is a bit of a dubious point for me. Whilst I think that it is pretty good, bringing some Pokemon like Absol, Medicham, Gengar and Alakazam up to a power level of Over 9000, I still think that GameFreak were a bit stupid to give Pokemon like Garchomp and Tyranitar Megas because of how already overpowered they already are. And also to give Pokemon like Mewtwo and Blaziken Megas, as the body behind pokemon competitive tiers decided that they were so stupidly overpowered! It's because of Mega Evolution that I dropped a star, as a lot of them have VERY bad designs! (Yes, I'm looking at you Mega Manectric!)
But enough of all that! The graphics are absolutely superb! GameFreak really put the hard work into this! And if you are a Diehard or new pokemon fan, this game will appeal to you!
on 3 May 2014
For me this game has been the most enjoyable since D/P/PL. It's very engaging and is extremely easy to spend half a day playing solidly, especially once you begin trading with and battling other people online. There are minigames you can play with your Pokemon to permanently raise their stats and increase (or decrease) their affection towards you, which in turn affects their capabilities in battle (a couple of examples are them fighting through and curing themselves of status conditions and surviving attacks which would otherwise be knockouts). You can customise your appearance and the appearance of certain Pokemon with clothing and hair boutiques in some cities. There are so many different habitats to explore that it's possible to spend hours ignoring the storyline while looking around, and you can find battle encounters in some surprising places.

Pokedex-wise there are quite a large number of early-gen Pokemon around which weren't present in the last couple of games, and there is a new Pokemon type (Fairy) which might not sound like much but is surprisingly resilient against some other types.

One thing I've really appreciated is the fact that quite often your rivals will allow you to turn down their inevitable and frequent requests to battle, so you can heal your team before going back for the fight.

The only slightly negative thing (if it can be seen that way) is that not too far into the game you begin to receive items which could potentially make the game a little too "easy" to beat, such as the modified EXP. Share which gives experience to your entire team even if only one member was involved in fighting which leads to extremely rapid levelling. I spent most of the game at least 10 levels above everyone else which didn't make for much of a challenge. This particular item can be turned off via selecting the option in your bag so it's not exactly game-breaking, but there are other items which may not be so easily circumvented.

Another mild annoyance is that you still can't sell TMs and they are never used up (essentially making every TM a HM), which seems to be a permanent thing in the series now.

Despite a couple of minor complaints, overall this is a brilliant game with much to recommend it even if you haven't been that impressed by other Pokemon titles.
on 11 February 2014
For someone who is a fan of Pokémon, even a bad Pokémon game becomes by default good. However, that is not the case with Pokémon Y.

I will just pinpoint the good points and the bad points about the game. The obvious selling points are all the Pokémon created so far will be available in 3D and there is a new pokémon type - Fairy. However, this game gives you so much more than it advertises:

Pros:
- When you start, besides the Kalos starter Pokémon, you are offered Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle and a Mega stone to see how it works!
- Grinding for gym challenges reduced a LOT.
- Easy to understand Effort Value training - for those interested in training their pokémon.
- Basically a nintendogs for Pokémon, with Pokémon Amie.
- Stay in touch with other pokéfans from all over the world with an easy to access to all of them! the PSS is amazing and you'll find yourself using O-powers all the time when online.
- 1 second saving time, it doesn't matter what you have done before, saving has never been faster.
- Changes to breeding Pokémon makes it easier to have your perfect Pokémon.
- More aftergame challenges, including the comeback of "Looker", the detective.

Cons:
- No Move tutors :( (except the normal ones, dragon, special pokémon and starters)
- In order to transfer Pokémon from previous generations you will need Pokébank. It is free for 30 days after activation, after which you will have to pay something like 5 dollars a year to transfer your pokémon. However, this service does give you a free Celebi (previously unnatainable outside of events) and 100 boxes with 30 spaces for Pokémon each. I consider this a con because of payment, but I suppose they have to keep the servers online!

If you enjoy pokémon, you will love this game. If you're new to it, as long as you keep yourself connected to the community and enjoy putting your cute little pets against your enemies, Pokémon is the game for you!
When I decided to give the Pokemon franchise another go my expectations weren’t particularly high. I remember the days of playing Pokemon Blue and how much fun that was, nothing would compare to that. So with that in mind I powered on the latest instalment, wary that any of the newer Pokemon games id played had grown old fast.

The first thing that shocked me was just how well the art style has transitioned across into a fully fledged 3D game. We are no longer playing a pixelated sprite game, everything about this looks great. Walking around the house you start up in just feels so much more immersive, its actually fun to take a look around and explore the building unlike previous generations where you are in a small boring room.

You set off on your journey and straight away you can run… No slow walking, no having to wait forever to move a little faster. Also the old classic fetch a parcel or egg or something random quest has gone, you just set off on your journey and dive straight into the good stuff.

Theres a massive range of pokemon to catch and collect right at the beginning and almost immediately you pick up an exp share which shares out exp from a battle with your entire squad putting less pressure on you to chose who will be your lead pokemon.

So far the game really feels like something new unlike previous generations which have felt like the original game just with small tweaks. The world is fleshed out and due to the new art style and graphics its just great fun to explore. Theres a whole host of small tweaks but ill touch on those when I give a more detailed impression of the game.

So far I've sunk only a few hours in but for the first time since Blue I really cant wait to power the game back on and waste a good portion of my life playing.
on 4 January 2015
I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the new generation, being quite disappointed with both Diamond/Pearl and Black/White. However the 3D aspect added a certain charm that had been lacking and made battles enjoyable for a change.

The new Pokemon added in this entry are a worthy addition, though the new typing of 'Fairy' is now the bane of my life.

This, or X, is a must buy, you won' regret it.
on 16 May 2015
Ive sunk over 80 hours into this game in the past 2 weeks. Its amazing, although I will admit that the game was very easy for me as traded pokes get an XP boost when battling so the pokemon I traded from Black 2 version using the Pokebank application on the E-Shop made it easier. By the time i was battling the champion i was 10 levels above her, this is unusual for most players. The endgame is ok but gets very grindy to level up new pokemon you trade using the "Wonder Trade" function. I currently spend time breeding pokemon and training them for Wi-Fi battles with random people on the internet and my friends. It is very nostalgiac seeing the old Kanto starters and Mewtwo back in the game.

I would reccomend it to anyone, but after beating the League Champion it does get very boring if your not into training Pokemon and battling over Wi-Fi
on 7 February 2016
I loved this game. I am a 23 year old and have grown up with pokemon since i was a few years old. I had all the games up until recently when i grew tired of the same repetitive formula. This game is however brought me back into it. Now thats not to say that this game breaks the mould in every way, but it is enough to refresh it for me at least.
Is it the same story as all the other games since red/blue, Yes. But it does add some more pokemon, which comes with each new generation, but integrated them nicely into the old pokemon. The 3d is great, it gives the game a new depth. And the 3d battles are fantastic and reminds me of the old Colosseum games except with a story mode built in which is great! Thsese new pokemon designs hold up to some of the older ones and do a much better job than some of these previous generations.
on 29 January 2015
An excellent game, with some great concepts and features. Has the same style of story line as the other games, however, there are a lot more characters and plenty of interesting things to do, plus some incredible new moves. This game also introduced the fairy type and some cool new pokemon, which is a bonus.