5.0 out of 5 stars An older gamer's perspective...
I'll be honest with you - this wasn't even on my radar until release day.

Published 10 months ago by Evan Jenkins

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost brilliant.
As much as I enjoyed the new game play updates - full 3D Pokemon Stadium/Colosseum-esque battle scenes and a beautiful overworld to explore - it didn't quite do it for me. There were a few things that just left me feeling a bit disappointed.

Published 9 months ago by Angus Parks

5.0 out of 5 stars An older gamer's perspective..., 22 Oct 2013
Evan Jenkins (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pokémon Y (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
I'll be honest with you - this wasn't even on my radar until release day.

The last Pokemon game I played was the original Red back in the day. Since then I have moved on to new franchises, even new gaming platforms (predominantly PC gaming nowadays). I only picked this up when I was trading in my Xbox 360, when I didn't really know what to use my store credit on.

I'm pretty much blown away. I haven't had as much fun playing a game in a while. I'm about 9 hours in, and about 7 of these hours were played non-stop on Saturday whilst the girlfriend was at work.

The graphics are fantastic, the art style complimenting the bright, vivid Pokemon and environments. I also want to mention how great the world looks, especially when the perspective of the camera changes as you play (for example, Lumiose City) which really add a whole other level of immersion.

My only negative so far would be the difficulty: I know this game is probably aimed towards a younger audience, and I'm only 9-ish hours in so can't really comment on the "late game", but I haven't really faced a challenging opponent as of yet, but am hoping this changes.

If you are familiar with Pokemon games, this will all be familiar to you. There is enough to warrant you playing through the newest version. If you are completely new to Pokemon, or even an old codger like me (I'm 30 years young!) there is still enough here to see and do to keep you entertained for many, many hours.

Pokemon has rekindled my love for fun like no other recent game has, and does so with it's simple, addictive gameplay.

Go catch them all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable value for money!, 4 Nov 2013
This review is from: Pokémon Y (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
Just as i expected and more. This game is very very good value for money since there is so much to do! It is quite reasonable to expect hundreds of hours of fun from this game.
There are hundreds of Pokémon to capture and gym leaders to beat... But, don't stop there! The endgame is raising your team of champs and battling people online! So many people leave the gane after beating the elite 4.
I love the 3d effects of this game, since it's the first title I've seriously played since Ruby. The game had so many new additions and old nostalgia too with the reintroduction of previous pokemon. It's never a dull sight when you throw your pokeball and a Blastoise emerges!

This is a must buy! I am 23 years old and I'm not afraid to admit i love this game!

5.0 out of 5 stars My return to my childhood, 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: Pokémon Y (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
So I grew up with Pokémon Red, Blue and eventually Yellow and I also invested days in Pokémon Gold and Silver, but as I grew up I kind of forgot about this franchise and disregarded it as child's merchandise which for the most part is true, but how many franchises can claim to bridge the gap between two vastly different generations?
Well I wouldn't know the number on that one, but I can tell you that Game Developer, Gamefreak succesfully pulled that off.

I feel it's important for the reader to understand that I actually went all out and bought my 3DS for the sake of this game so I had massive expectations and right off the bat I can happily inform you that it lived up to 'em and even surpassed some of them.

What is Pokémon X/Y ? It's the same recipe as usual
8 gyms - 8 badges to win
defeat the elite 4 and finally, the Pokemon Champion.
65 new pokemons and a new region for you to explore.

Now the amount of new pokemon is peculiar, usually we seem to get around 100, so what's the reason behind the lack of new playables?

Well for one thing, this is kind of a "Pokémon - greatest hits" kind of game.
You have 65 new monsters, but the addition of Pokemon from former instalments is MASSIVE.

On top of this you get TWO starter pokemons, one from the new selection and one of the starters from the good old days of Kanto
(First Pokemon games)

As a completely new addition, every single Pokémon has been fully animated 3D model scale and that includes attacks as well.
That's right, the age of sprites for the Pokémon franchise is over, and for the better.
There is still work to do, the good foaks at Gamefreak did a great job, but the scale of the battles does come at the price of a bit of drop in framerates at times, specifically when you are standing idle, which fortunately isn't too often.
This is battle only, by the way!

Another new addition that will please many fans is the addition of customizing your character.
While it is relatively limited, there is still enough options for one to feel like you are adding your own unique touch to the character.
You can also buy clothes and hats among other merchandise for your character and these will be represented fully animated both in battle and outside of it.

Trainers oddly enough though, have been replaced with sprite images, which is a step in the wrong direction, but I expect future Pokemon instalments to deal with this.

So even if you have no internet connection available, there will still be me plenty of hours to train, level and explore your way through, but ! It does come at a steep price that may not be apparent if you are blissfully unaware, but the amount of stuff you can do with an internet connection is just amazing.

First of all there is the new addition of "Wonder Trade" which is a function that allows you to give away any pokemon at any level and recieve something that was likewise thrown in.
Obviously people tend to exploit this, so don't expect a Blastoise, but occasionally the good person does add a proper Pokemon to the grid and you might just be lucky enough to recieve that one.
Also, if you are going to use this option, please do everyone, yourself included a favor and only put up Pokemon that you yourself would like to recieve. Show a little respect please, otherwise it will just maintain its garbage reputation.

As always, you can bring your skills and pokemon to the test and fight others online from all over the world.
Yes, that's right. The servers are worldwide, so you'll be battling kids from all over the planet.

But the real diamond of the internet options is the GTN or - Global Trade Network.
GTN is a feature that allows you to upload a pokemon of your choice and request a pokemon you want in return.
This means that you can have all 3 starters of the new region or the Kanto.
Heck, you can even go ahead and do what I did which was starting a new game and upload a starter for a more rare dragon type for a starter (Bagon, in case you wanted to know)
The only condition is that you always have at least 1 pokemon in your party.
In my case I caught a Pidgey and uploaded my Froakie.
A few days later someone interested in my Froakie traded his Bagon and there I was with a Level 1 rare dragon type for a starter instead of the generic new one which I had already maxed out in level.

And with the addition of the relatively recent Pokémon bank, all sorts of pokemon from former generations are now on the grid and are getting traded around, expanding the amount of Pokémon available and effectively, potentially! making it the biggest pokemon game yet in terms of monsters available.

Also, the moment you catch a Pokémon, it checks it as "caught" which means that if you are interested in maxing out your Pokedex and claim to have owned every Pokémon in the existence, you can do that without having to keep them around.

Trade that Tyrranitar for that Entei you have yet to check off of your list.

So what made a 20 year old dude (soon 21) pick up a game system for a kids game?
Well... The fact that the most awesome Pokemon game of all time was announced little over a year ago was more than enough reason for me to get back into it.
And it was worth every penny.
I've invested +70 hours, two playthroughs and I still have plenty of stuff yet to complete.

This is the perfect game for someone who picked up a 3DS, and even more so if you like collecting, and playing RPG-esque games.

Your kids will love it, your teenager will love it.
Heck I'm sure that even the most hardened adult will love this game if there's even a fraction of interest for games.

and yes, you can get both Legendary Pokemons through the global trade network.

This is definitely... BY FAR!
The best Pokémon game yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't get enough, 5 Jan 2014
Shaun Dowdall "Shaun Dowdall" (York, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pokémon Y (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
When I decided to give the Pokemon franchise another go my expectations weren’t particularly high. I remember the days of playing Pokemon Blue and how much fun that was, nothing would compare to that. So with that in mind I powered on the latest instalment, wary that any of the newer Pokemon games id played had grown old fast.

The first thing that shocked me was just how well the art style has transitioned across into a fully fledged 3D game. We are no longer playing a pixelated sprite game, everything about this looks great. Walking around the house you start up in just feels so much more immersive, its actually fun to take a look around and explore the building unlike previous generations where you are in a small boring room.

You set off on your journey and straight away you can run… No slow walking, no having to wait forever to move a little faster. Also the old classic fetch a parcel or egg or something random quest has gone, you just set off on your journey and dive straight into the good stuff.

Theres a massive range of pokemon to catch and collect right at the beginning and almost immediately you pick up an exp share which shares out exp from a battle with your entire squad putting less pressure on you to chose who will be your lead pokemon.

So far the game really feels like something new unlike previous generations which have felt like the original game just with small tweaks. The world is fleshed out and due to the new art style and graphics its just great fun to explore. Theres a whole host of small tweaks but ill touch on those when I give a more detailed impression of the game.

So far I've sunk only a few hours in but for the first time since Blue I really cant wait to power the game back on and waste a good portion of my life playing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost brilliant., 10 Nov 2013
Angus Parks "Pianist rocker." (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Pokémon Y (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)

The first I should mention is the storyline. It follows the blueprint of every Pokemon game that came before it if you strip them all down to their simplest forms, but this one lacked any real depth. Without giving away an spoilers, the evil organisation of this generation just seemed to be thrown in without any regard for character development of their leader or the mysterious, incredibly tall, character; it just did not get me involved. If you compare the story of X and Y to that of Black(2) and White(2), it just looks so rushed. I am still confused as to how the Legendary Box Art Pokemon ties in to the plot.

Following on from the story, the player's campaign to become the Pokemon Champion is, in my opinion, the easiest out of all six generations. Even after all these years, if I find myself playing any of the previous games, I will stock up on Full Restores, Full Heals and Revives in preparation of the Elite 4. They are strong teams that are prepared for countering their type disadvantages. I did just that for X/Y, and ended up not needing a single item. I strolled through the Elite 4 and Champion's teams. My Pokemon team's levels matched the Champion's, but the entire Pokemon League lacked any dimension that I only needed to use one Pokemon per-member of the Elite 4. It was a hollow victory.

My final mention is more personal and even just me being picky. What I found hard to deal with in Black and White, but which Game Freak sorted in B2/W2, was the lack of previous generation Pokemon. In X and Y, I found that there were too many! I think fewer than 70 new Pokemon were included in these games. That is the fewest since Gold and Silver, and as with that generation, this one also introduced a new Type. You would think that with the introduction of a new Type in mind, they would design more new Pokemon than that; In Gold and Silver, they released 100 new Pokemon AND added TWO brand new Types. I know there is an argument that Mega-Evolutions are new Pokemon, but I disagree. Mega-Evolutions are just a new battle mechanism to keep it interesting. They're new temporary designs of current Pokemon. More accessible alternative-form Pokemon like Shaymin and Girantina.

Maybe the more than likely Z version will come with much needed improvements.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pokemon X and Y - High up on the axes of power!, 24 Dec 2013
This review is from: Pokémon Y (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
I have to say, This was the Pokemon game I was waiting for! Haven't we all dreamed of a 3D Pokemon game? With a more interesting take on the idea of the Crime Syndicate (Team Flare), awesome battling systems and Mega Evolution! What's not to like?
The answer: Not a lot. The story is an interesting one, with Team Flare wanting to kill the world to make it nice and pretty, and the story actually is significantly more mysterious, with the addition of AZ, a wandering 'giant'. Although it's not as great as the ORIGINAL team plasma storyline, it's still an interesting one.
The region is much better than the previous generation. Although they fixed the problem with Unova in B2W2, it still didn't stop the fact that BW made you ALWAYS go on the beaten track, so this was a pleasant surprise.
One problem I have with the game is that there is a VERY limited aftergame, with only the mega stones and Mewtwo to find, as well as those infuriating roaming birds!
Mega Evolution is a bit of a dubious point for me. Whilst I think that it is pretty good, bringing some Pokemon like Absol, Medicham, Gengar and Alakazam up to a power level of Over 9000, I still think that GameFreak were a bit stupid to give Pokemon like Garchomp and Tyranitar Megas because of how already overpowered they already are. And also to give Pokemon like Mewtwo and Blaziken Megas, as the body behind pokemon competitive tiers decided that they were so stupidly overpowered! It's because of Mega Evolution that I dropped a star, as a lot of them have VERY bad designs! (Yes, I'm looking at you Mega Manectric!)
But enough of all that! The graphics are absolutely superb! GameFreak really put the hard work into this! And if you are a Diehard or new pokemon fan, this game will appeal to you!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good... But not great..., 9 Dec 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Pokémon Y (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
Ok, so I've pretty much played every pokemon game from Leaf Green onwards (including Colosseum and Gale of Darkness on GameCube), and I pretty much loved them all. This game has a lot of things that stand in its favour: the graphics, the new designs and character customisations. At this point, I really have to point out that the design of the game is simply beautiful. However, I can't help but feel that the creators are relying on these points to make the game good...

The storyline for this game is by far the weakest of the franchise. In fact, for the vast majority of the game I would argue there ISN'T a story line at all... Team Flare continue to pop up here and there for no apparent reason, and do things that don't really seem to match up with their overall goal - by the way, their overall goal is pretty rubbish too. In past games, the leader for the Teams aren't introduced until the middle of the game at least, and usually pack a pretty good punch when you battle them. You can immediately tell, unless youre a few sandwiches short of a picnic, who the big boss in this game is supposed to be. The villains in this game, even the other trainers and gym leaders, are all just push overs that can be beaten with one or two good pokemon.

The legendary in this game is incredibly easy to catch. In other games (such as leaf green, emerald, diamond/pearl etc.) you usually have ascend a spire or mountain to get to the legendary. The one in this game is just... There...

The last thing I dislike about this game - I recognise that it seems like I complain a lot by this point, but it must be said - is that there isn't really much of a post-game. In other games, you can unlock areas that were previously inaccessible like Black City/White Forest, the orange islands or the whole Kanto region, but in X/Y the story ends with the Elite 4. They don't even power up the second time you play them... No new unlockable areas, no interesting side quests like cleaning up the rest of team rocket, team aqua, team plasma or team galactic (unless you count being Looker's sidekick for a while as interesting...) no new battles. All your left with is a bunch of mega stones to collect.

All in all, I played this game, up to and including the E4, with only three loses - Two of those were Sky battles, and sadly I only had one flying type...

I was pleased with the graphics and scenery (which as I said were stunning), but I hope future games build upon the actual story of the game and, although I recognise it is aimed at kids who haven't a clue what they're doing, make the game a bit more challenging for us slightly more developed folk...

Hope this helped :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Mandatory game for every 3DS/2DS owner !, 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: Pokémon Y (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
Besides the huge amount of graphical details that make the game to be quite beautiful, the online features are the things that really deserve to be praised. It's so easy to battle and trade pokémon with other players at any place, at any time. As the title says, every 3ds owner should get this game.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best., 12 Oct 2013
This review is from: Pokémon Y (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
I have played every major Pokemon game. Red and Blue, Gold and Silver, Emerald, Platinum, White/White2 and now I am onto the 6th generation of Pokemon. I got this game earlier than the release date, and I have gotten far enough that I can give my review on game mechanics, layout, game play, the new Pokemon, and so forth.

The game, I was very excited to see this appear at my house a day early, and I played it non-stop for eight hours. I am now playing it while I write this and am very impressed with the new mechanics Nintendo have put in. People said the newer games felt boring, I didn't feel that, but for anyone that did, X and Y brings in a breath of fresh air that the franchise arguably needs.

There are I believe 68 new Pokemon. I chose Fennekin as my starter, and I have checked out each of the 68 Pokemon through sites like Serebii. I was impressed with the majority. I love the X and Y legendaries, and a few of my favourites include Delphox, Diggersby and Tyrantrum.

The game offers new gameplay mechanics which are new to the franchise. You can roller-skate through towns, walk diagonally, and interact with others like never before. This game honestly feels like a Pokemon version of Animal Crossing, you can dress up your character with what you choose, you even can give your actual character a nickname with your name, all these new changes are welcome to the Pokemon franchise.

If you skipped Black and White, now's your chance to get back into Pokemon with the new generation that is generation six. For any long fans like myself, you will not be disappointed. Great job Nintendo and Game Freak.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite a lot to do, but is sometimes OP, 3 May 2014
This review is from: Pokémon Y (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
For me this game has been the most enjoyable since D/P/PL. It's very engaging and is extremely easy to spend half a day playing solidly, especially once you begin trading with and battling other people online. There are minigames you can play with your Pokemon to permanently raise their stats and increase (or decrease) their affection towards you, which in turn affects their capabilities in battle (a couple of examples are them fighting through and curing themselves of status conditions and surviving attacks which would otherwise be knockouts). You can customise your appearance and the appearance of certain Pokemon with clothing and hair boutiques in some cities. There are so many different habitats to explore that it's possible to spend hours ignoring the storyline while looking around, and you can find battle encounters in some surprising places.

Pokedex-wise there are quite a large number of early-gen Pokemon around which weren't present in the last couple of games, and there is a new Pokemon type (Fairy) which might not sound like much but is surprisingly resilient against some other types.

One thing I've really appreciated is the fact that quite often your rivals will allow you to turn down their inevitable and frequent requests to battle, so you can heal your team before going back for the fight.

The only slightly negative thing (if it can be seen that way) is that not too far into the game you begin to receive items which could potentially make the game a little too "easy" to beat, such as the modified EXP. Share which gives experience to your entire team even if only one member was involved in fighting which leads to extremely rapid levelling. I spent most of the game at least 10 levels above everyone else which didn't make for much of a challenge. This particular item can be turned off via selecting the option in your bag so it's not exactly game-breaking, but there are other items which may not be so easily circumvented.

Another mild annoyance is that you still can't sell TMs and they are never used up (essentially making every TM a HM), which seems to be a permanent thing in the series now.

Despite a couple of minor complaints, overall this is a brilliant game with much to recommend it even if you haven't been that impressed by other Pokemon titles.

Pokémon Y (Nintendo 3DS)
Pokémon Y (Nintendo 3DS) by Nintendo (Nintendo 3DS)
Ł31.99