Pokémon X (Nintendo 3DS)
Edition: X EditionChange
Price:£29.32+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 12 October 2013
I've played for about 25 hours so far and feel like now's a pretty good time to leave my review.

Pokémon X is one of the first games in the 6th generation of the series, adding around 70 new Pokémon as well as some mega-evolutions to old favourites. The presentation, first off, is stunning. As someone who has played the previous games extensively the shift to 3d models over sprites is a welcome change, the models and animations all look excellent and the music is better than ever with the higher capacity of the 3ds cartridge. The 3d effect is unavailable in the overworld, an odd choice that I don't understand but that's what it is. In battle however, it adds some nice depth as you'd expect from the 3ds but is nothing special. You're not missing out playing it on the 2ds. I have even noticed some minor frame rate drops when using 3d in larger battles but it was still playable. So all in all, the 3d effect is not a selling point of the game (as you probably would expect) but this does not detract from the presentation at all.

Gameplay wise, I'm comfortable in saying gamefreak did very well. From large changes like the addition of a new type (Fairy) which balances the game and will significantly change the teams in player-vs-player, to small changes like setting hidden power to a constant 60 base power making it far more useful in the main game and (hopefully) less common in competitive battles. All the changes seem very well thought out from a balance and fun perspective and allow for a very wide variety of pokémon to use through the main story. The new pokémon themselves are, in my opinion, some of the best designs in the series. I've found almost no designs I disliked and the smaller number of new Pokémon seems to have allowed for more interesting additions. My only issue with the main game is that it's slightly too easy, but this is coming from someone used to playing black2 on challenge mode and with a lot of experience, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Pokémon-Amie is a nice touch, with some surprisingly fun minigames but doesn't seem to affect very much. A far more interesting minigame addition is super training. Super training is a minigame where you have to dodge balls being shot towards you and shoot balls into the opposing goals. It can be quite fun and has the effect of raising your Pokémon's stats slightly (for those in the know, it's EV training). It gives you a clear indication of how much the stats can be improved and is a very nice addition making the competitive metagame a lot more accessible for new players. Probably wont be used by those already EV training as it seems slower, but time will tell.

Then we get to the elephant in the room, Mega-Evolution. Some old favourites (maybe a couple of dozen Pokémon? not sure how many yet) have gained new forms in mega evolution. Unlike the normal evolutions, these are temporary transformations that you can choose to activate in battle and end once the battle is over. They confer new forms, new abilities, better stats- generally improvements in all areas as far as I can tell. The downside being you can only have one mega evolution per team and they have to hold the appropriate item to mega-evolve, removing their capacity to hold other items. I have to say, I was not a big fan of the concept when it was first revealed but have found they fit the game very well. There's not much else to say on the matter except that Mega Blastoise is the best thing ever.

There is currently no way to transfer Pokémon to this game from the previous generations. This may well be a deal breaker for some, but there is going to be a new 3ds app released in December that will allow you to store 3000 Pokémon online and transfer Pokémon from the recent DS games to the new generation. It will be a paid service with a free trial allowing you time to transfer from old games without paying, I will update this review when it is released with more information.

So all in all, Pokémon X is an excellent step forward in the series, good for new fans and old ones alike. It is already my favourite 3ds game and I will be playing it for months to come.

Gotta catch 'em all, y'know?

EDIT: As of 25/10/2013 The 1.1 Patch has been released on the eShop. It fixes the save hang glitch that broke many players game saves. If you get stuck saving in Lumiose city, make sure to grab the patch!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 14 October 2013
I've been a lifelong fan of the Pokémon franchise - received Blue for my then-new Gameboy Color in 1998 and have played every generation since. However, Generation V (Black/White and Black/White 2) really turned me off the franchise with their bland new Pokémon, boring region and cut-and-paste story-line, so I have to admit I approached X/Y with some trepidation. I needn't have worried. X/Y, with their Kalos region, new Fairy type and line-up of furry critters raring to go is absolutely fantastic. I've spent a while wondering how to leave a review for it, and I think the best way is to highlight the ten things I enjoy the most about the game. Here goes:

1) The graphic engine is stunning, and rather than just being a hardware demo for the 3DS's graphic chip, it fits in with the feel of the game. Kalos, based on real-life France, is a region that focuses on beauty both spiritual and physical, and the design of the overworld fits right in. In many of the places I was running around and looking at how lovely and well-designed everything was.

2) The battle sequences are, likewise, stunning. The camera angles are constantly changing, showing all sides of the battlefield, each Pokémon sprite is rendered fully 3D for the first time on a handheld, meaning that every Pokémon from the past five generations is a new revelation when you run into them again.

3) Rather than having a One Rival, One True Rival system that's been in place since Generation III, you are now surrounded by a group of kids of differing personalities. This makes the job that you're running for Professor Sycamore feel more important; rather than just being handed a Pokédex and being told tally-ho, your quest fits directly with the game's developing story.

4) Each town is different. Rather than just being 'town with purple roofs' or 'town with the big statue', every own is set geographically apart from the others. This makes them far more memorable, and a lot of them don't even have Gyms - making exploration a more key factor in the gameplay.

5) For the first time ever, you can customise your trainer sprite. You can change hats, hair styles, clothing and bags, and for the first time ever as well you can play as a black trainer - something that is well overdue. This isn't all available right away; you're given a bog-standard trainer sprite of differing ethnicity and gender at the start, and as each town goes by you'll discover different clothes shops and salons. Foufrou, a new Normal-type Poodle-like Pokémon, can also be styled in different ways.

6) Speaking of Foufrou, the new Pokémon introduced in Generation VI are, for the most part, a solid bunch. Generation V really went all over the place and didn't have a focused style (an ice cream? Really?) but Generation VI has clearly thought about France's culture and animals, and introduced a whole range of varied and interesting 'mons. You'll also find that some existing ones have been upgraded to part-Fairy type.

7) The music. As mentioned above, it is gorgeous. In some places I have plonked my trainer down somewhere and turned the volume up just so I can listen to it.

8) The online element. As long as you have a wi-fi connection, you can trade, battle, and swap O-Powers (timed perks) to your 3DS friends so long as you're both playing the game online at the same time. And rather than having to haul yourself to the nearest Pokémon Center and interrupt your game to do so, you can simply do it at any time from the bottom touch-screen. You can also voice-chat in the same way.

9) Likewise, you can also 'Wonder Trade' at any time from the bottom touch screen. If you've caught a Pokémon you don't want, you can blind trade it with anyone in the world, selected randomly, for a mysterious swap.

10) And finally, callbacks to the old games: the upgraded Exp Share is appreciated, there are loads of narrative similarities without it being a rehash (Snorlax on a bridge! The memories!), NPCs will mention other regions with careless abandon, and, one of my personal favourite changes - the cries have been upgraded. Raichu no longer sounds like your Gameboy's sound card has crashed, but more like a living, breathing creature.

I could go on, but I don't want to spoil anything and you really need to experience X/Y without knowing as much as possible. It's a great game for old fans who were wishing for a franchise change, and also for welcoming new fans to the fold - without the tutorial sections being dull or repetitive as they have been in the past. I'm currently 16 hours in and still have two badges to get and the main story-line to solve (yet alone filling up my Pokédex), so for £32 - £40 the game is an absolute steal.

Highly recommended.
on 14 December 2013
Pokemon Y is a great game overall. It's fun, it's addicting and rewarding. You can connect to people all around the World to trade, have battles with or maybe become friends! Not going to lie, this is my first ever Pokemon game, and I'm 23 years old. This game was the reason I bought the 3ds XL, and haven't had this much fun with a game since Skyrim! I finished the main quest in 72 hrs, mind you I did train a lot in that time, so I can imagine it can be finished a bit sooner tho, but where would be the fun in that? it's also great that you can claim a Pokemon if you buy the game new; one that you cannot catch in the game. It's also great that you can customise your appearance, and just go around the towns and fields whenever you want and to just look around. It's not complicated at all; all ages could play with this game easily, even if you haven't played any Pokemon games before! My boyfriend did say that it resembles greatly the previous games and they kept many things fans loved about it, just upgraded it to the next level finally! There are a few downsides tho...The game only allows one save-game at a time, meaning if you have a brother-sister-friend who wants to try it out, unfortunately they can't. I think it's something that should have been allowed, because let's face it, who would buy two consoles so both their kids could play Pokemon? That is a bit inconvenient in my opinion. Another minor thing is, that you have to have a hat on your character at all times! I personally don't like it, but honestly, this is such a small thing, it doesn't matter or effect the game at all! This is a great game overall, probably one of the best of 2013!
on 10 March 2014
Bought for my little boys birthday, he was very pleased and plays it all the time. He has had no problems with it and constantly rells me to look at the wicked pokemon he has caught and trained
on 15 January 2014
Came very quick good service plus a very happy 8 year old son who's had no problems with the game :-)
on 11 March 2014
Pokémon X was a gift I gave to my son in the Christmas 2013. The best game he'd played, he told me after few hours playing the game.
on 10 March 2014
never played pokemon before, but this game is amazing, i love it, i would recommend you should buy it now
on 17 January 2015
I so uld 100% recommend this as a starting point for people who want to try out Pokemon, or someone who hasn't played since the first couple of games.

As for fans like me who've played every game in the series: making the jump to 3D is totally worth it. This game has a lot to offer visually, both in the special effects and the extra features that have been added to make use of the bottom screen. There's a city that's so large it actually takes a lot of getting used to before you can remember your way around. Plus there's plenty of awesome new Pokemon with a few weird new evolution methods (including holding your 3DS upside down!)
on 16 May 2014
This blows the earlier Pokemon games right out of the water!! I cannot bring myself to say just how awesome this game is. Nintendo and Game Freak have really outdone themselves on this one. The graphics are beautiful; it's Nintendo so pixels are not a priority but the overall charm and aesthetic feel of the game is superb. There are some stunning locations, such as the 3D cave with blue stalactites.

Pikachu is available early on in the game as well as a Kanto starter of your choice. Pokemon Amie lets you build bonds with your Pokemon that help them dodge attacks, cure themselves of status conditions, and gain more experience. Super Training is something I don't play with too much, it's more for the serious gamers who care about EV's and things. But I did train my Vaporeon that way once and it's special attack at Lv. 100 went through the roof! And with Mega Evolutions (which can completely turn the tide of battles, both in game and online) the battle dynamics have been made more complex and more interesting. The online features are a blessing. No longer do you have to go into those silly portals in the Pokemon Centre every time you want to trade or battle someone- you can interact with everyone who's online. I also like the fact that you can now choose a darker skinned sprite, which feels more inclusive.

The storyline is mediocre but let's be honest, the perks of a Pokemon game isn't really its plot. Possibly the only downside is the lack of post- game content. Once you defeat the League there's not much to be done except more battling, collecting Mega Stones, etc. It's not like the post game content of White 2, which was more satisfying. Lumiose City can also be a little hard to navigate, and I don't know if I'd count this as a negative but it's so easy to spend all your money on clothes!

Overall, though, this is an excellent entry into Generation 6. It's clear that they've put more effort than ever before into making Pokemon feel new and exciting again, and it pays off.
on 22 March 2014
Well to start off I love Pokemon but upon hearing about this game I wasn't too sure what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised, it contains the same experience as the other games where your character catches Pokemon to fill the pokedex, win gym badges and defeat the elite 4

The new graphics are nothing short of stunning, I find the 3d effect doesn't add much depth so I tend not to use it but it takes nothing away from the experience, it's much easier to feel a part of the experience rather than just watching on from above.

The plot of this game I found was the best yet, I was fully emersed in it and didn't find it tedious as I had in previous games.

One of the main things I was worried about was the addition of new Pokemon. In black and white the new Pokemon were just terrible, but it seems again I was pleasantly surprised, the new additions don't look so pixelated as in black and white and are all loveable and great designs with some of the old favourites thrown in. This allows for older players to recognise some of the old Pokemon and create a great familiarity.

This game is nothing short of flawless, the character customisation and new 3d aspects create a better game experience and help to make the player feel part of the game. The battles are also much more fluid and the use of backgrounds and more visual attacks create a more realistic experience.

Overall this game is definitely my favourite 3ds game by far, it holds all the familiarity of past Pokemon games but is the breath of fresh air the series needed.