5.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying 3DS for!
Fire Emblem series is renowned for its good strategic gameplay and notorious for its difficulty. Fire Emblem: Awakening keeps (and enhances) the gameplay, while giving a player options to alleviate the pain of losing a team member forever.

Published on 19 April 2013 by Shepherdess

3.0 out of 5 stars Who's leading this army?
Please read the other reviews for more comprehensive breakdowns. I'm going to focus on one major flaw I feel is important.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I love strategy games. Controlling your units to achieve a desired goal is great; and that's the reason I think this is a flawed (if still...
Published 7 months ago by thatguyjoe

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying 3DS for!, 19 April 2013
This review is from: Fire Emblem: Awakening (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)

For those new to the series: Fire Emblem is a strategic RPG, but it is more similar to Advance Wars than to Final Fantasy Tactics. At the start of the battle your units are placed on the map, and while in there they serve a different purpose depending on their class (e.g. knights are good at melee combat but unable to use ranged attacks, healers help with keeping your units alive but are very weak and thus are an easy target for the enemy). Each map has its own objective and fulfilling it will move the story forward. AI in the game is very good and most times you can bet that if you make the slightest mistake, your opponent will use it against you. That is why in FE:A you can choose a casual mode at the beginning of the game in which your units will not be gone forever when their HP fall below 0, as they do in the classic mode.

As I've mentioned before the latest installment in the series brings some nice enhancements to the gameplay, my favourite being 'support' option. The characters who stand next to each other raise their support level which increases the chance of blocking the enemy attack or even attacking together with the 'supported' unit. This feature is very useful and absolutely essential if you want to play on the classic mode and/or on higher difficulty levels. Other new feature is the concept of children: when two units raise their support level to maximum, a child is born which has got the combined skills of both parents available for disposal. Even if you get them slightly late in the game it is still worth aiming for it because the support dialogues between characters can be very entertaining.

The game takes about 40-50 hours to beat (especially if, like me, you like the gameplay so much that you take on most random battles) and that doesn't include DLC maps which are available from the eShop. The graphics is gorgeous and the battle animations don't get boring even after many hours of looking at them (but you still have got an option to skip them if you wish). In my opinion that game alone is worth getting a 3DS for and with so many good games on the horizon you definitely won't regret the purchase.

Just one final tip: whenever you see two random enemies bunched together on the map, take them on first, and you will get some extra money and the reward for getting rid of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars System seller., 19 April 2013
This review is from: Fire Emblem: Awakening (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
To preface this, FE:A is one of the few non-port 3ds games that are worth getting. I know a lot of people are still undecided on the 3ds, but this game is exactly why you should have one.

OK, Fire Emblem is an (extremely) long running series, where battles take place in a turn based grid (very similar to advance wars) with terrain advantages and different units. This is where the comparisons end.

Fire Emblem as a series is generally well regarded, with some excellent games and some... not so great ones. Awakening is hands down the best of the bunch in my opinion. The old formula returns with just enough in the way of new mechanics to keep it fresh and scare me (A long time fan) on the higher difficulties. The combat is better than ever with the new support mechanics replacing the old rescue. Your units are different classes, each focusing on different weapons, spells, whatever. They are unique in the way they move across the battlefield and engage foes, archers cannot tackle foes up-close, Pegasi can fly- that sort of thing. You move your units around the grid exploiting advantages of the rock-paper-scissors weapon triangle and terrain or support advantages to kill the opposing force. It seems simple as anything at first but when you get further in the complexities are the difference between life and death- If like me you play on classic, the death of any character is permanent. That's it. Gone. You've been leveling him for 20 hours and got killed by a crit? Doesn't matter. I would still recommend new players to try classic though, it gives a sense of urgency and worry you just don't get if you can lose half your force each fight only for them to come right back. Gameplay is a solid experience and will give you a serious mental workout at times. Oh, and Lunatic mode is as bad as it sounds. It's properly hard.

Aesthetically, I was unsure about the translation to the 3ds screen, but it looks gorgeous. The character models look a little off in my opinion when you're just standing around in the barracks talking, but in battle they look excellent and have a great range of combat animations- something the older games were sorely lacking. Having 3d on makes a lot of the levels look amazing, especially when fighting enemies on a hill. It gave a sense of depth I really liked and it made maps slightly easier to understand. The character illustrations are excellent as always, with detail and personality to spare. Speaking of the characters, they're frequently stereotypical game characters but still charming and funny with their snappy dialogue and snippets of very good English (or Japanese if you so wish) voice acting. Improvements to the support system and the addition of a marriage and generations system has made the characters even more fun, with the ability to have as many 'A' ranked supports as you can get allowing you to hear hundreds of extra, often funny conversations between characters. Story is grand in scale, if a bit predictable at times, but it does have you legitimately care about some of the characters.

This all leads into an immense game I feel like I could play for hundreds of hours, plenty of missions in the story and a load of side missions as well as random (optional!) battles. DLC maps are on the way too, the game has been out for a year in Japan so expect them to come thick and fast if it sells well (which it will, there were widespread stock shortages when it came out in the U.S earlier in the year).

I'm sure I've missed some important things, but get this game if you are even remotely interested in turn based tactical fights, even if you aren't there's a free demo on the 3ds E-Shop to whet your appetite. 5 stars any day of the week.

*note* This was written prior to official release, and as such I did not have access to the free DLC map which can be exploited and make the game markedly less challenging. I would strongly recommend playing to the final mission before accessing any of the spotpass or DLC content for the best experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible., 26 April 2013
This review is from: Fire Emblem: Awakening (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
Fire Emblem: Awakening is my first time playing a game in the Fire Emblem series & I'm now left wondering why I had never played a game in the series before. Having never played a Fire Emblem game before, I played on Normal difficulty which I felt was just about right to ease me into the series. The enemies were beatable but any ridiculous mistakes on my part would be punished. I didn't do any grinding & the battles were still winnable which is always a plus in my book when it comes to RPGs. There is a Newcomer mode available if you prefer a more reckless style of play but I played on Classis as the permadeath feature is what I most commonly assosciated the Fire Emblem series with. It's an incredible gameplay mechanic and there's nothing more painful than wincing your way through fights, hoping your favourite characters all make it out alive. However it makes victory feel all the more sweet.

I beat the game in five days (admittedly spending 25 hours on it!) but I feel it definitely gives you great value for money as I am seriously considering a second playthrough which rarely happens to me with video games. The 3DS is in for a cracking 2013 & Fire Emblem: Awakening will definitely be one of the gems in the 3DS' crown.

5.0 out of 5 stars A game that is perfect to a fault, 23 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Fire Emblem: Awakening (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
A game that is perfect to a fault. Fans of the series will definitely enjoy the journey through the game. You, the player, follow Chrom, Prince of Ylisse as he struggles to prevent a dark future. Many will also recognize the World Map that originated in The Sacred Stones, making the management of your army easy and efficient. The Support System from most previous games in the series also returns, and will be absolutely vital to maintain a presence in the game. Players have the option to begin the game on the Classic or Newcomer modes. Classic mode works very much like previous titles in the series, where if your units are defeated in battle, they cannot be used for the remainder of the game, so use them wisely! Newcomer mode welcomes new players to the series by allowing fallen units to be used again after the end of the battle in which they fell. Overall, this game is a superb addition to the series, with a great plot, interesting characters and character development, making you actually care for the units in your army, and top of the range game play. I would recommend this game to anyone that is a fan of the Strategy genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best 3DS game so far, 3 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Fire Emblem: Awakening (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
Absolutely the best 3DS game so far and without a doubt the best Fire Emblem in a long time! LOVE IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding game, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Fire Emblem: Awakening (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
I bought a 3DS almost solely to play this game, after hearing such great reviews about it. I haven't been disappointed.

The game has a very nice story, and the characters are unique and loveable and stand out from each other in terms of their personalities and quirks. There's a lot of humour in it, while still feeling like quite a solid and serious story.

Gameplay is excellent, especially if you play on Classic mode, which really makes every decsion count. The free bonuses available over Spotpass are very nice, and the extra maps and heroes available as DLC are well worth a look.

Translation is very good, cut scenes are gorgeous, and the character designs are wonderful and charming.

I fully recommend this game to anyone who wants to try out a turn-based strategy RPG.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never played this series before, now I can't get enough!, 10 May 2013
This review is from: Fire Emblem: Awakening (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
I've never been into turn based strategy games more complex than pokemon but on a fervent recommendation from a friend, I bought this (from the nintendo e-store, not amazon) and was most surprised.

The graphics are beautiful and take full advantage of the 3D capabilities of the 3DS. The plot is engaging and the characters are brilliantly represented.

The gameplay took me a while, as a beginner, to get into. The complexity was overwhelming at first but as you get into it, you find yourself understanding and planning rather than just throwing people into a battle and hoping for the best. It's sort of like the Sid Meier's Civilization games with the turn-based and grid land combat.

I can't compare it to other games in the series but I do fully recommend for first time players. It's not suitable for under-12s due to the certificate but I agree. For one, the dialogue and gameplay is a bit violent at times. Also, the strategy may go over the heads of younger kids (though my 9-year old nephew likes to watch over my shoulder and gives me pretty good pointers).

All in all, I love it and think it's a fab buy for hours of rewarding gameplay. Go get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 10 May 2013
This review is from: Fire Emblem: Awakening (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
Got the package delivered just on time, couldn't help but load my 3DS XL up as soon as i opened it! Still haven't put it down :P Brilliant game! recommended to every 3DS owner!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Game!, 8 May 2013
This review is from: Fire Emblem: Awakening (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
This game arrived, on the release date, and I loved it. A good solid 35 hours of gameplay, and that was on the easiest setting, without doing the side-quests. So much game to play, and the style of class system gives it great replay value! If you have ever play an FE game, give this one a go, because it is fantastic. Really enjoyable, great characters, funny without being cheesy, and generally good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome game., 7 May 2013
This review is from: Fire Emblem: Awakening (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
Just really want reiterate what everyone else has said about this game. It's the first Fire Emblem I've played even though I love RPG's (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Advance Wars etc). I was a bit dubious about buying it, but all the good reviews it was getting I soon caved in. I have been stupidly addicted to it ever since. About a week now, haven't even used my PC, which is very unusual for me. The flow of gameplay is brilliant and battles are very fun and can be quite time consuming. I have got it on normal difficulty without the perma death. I have had quite a few units die on me already so I'm glad I don't have the perma death on. Might do that after I've completed it. I don't really have the time to sit there for an hour at a time planning a battle. Saying that though they still take me 10-15 mins and I'm sure that will increase as the game progresses. All in all I agree with what other reviewers say, this is one of the best, if not the best game out on the 3DS at the minute. I've probably played more DS games on my 3DS recently. Namely Dragon Quest IX, which I've just completed (60+hours).

Fire Emblem Awakening is a top game. If you like strategy/RPG's you won't be disappointed. Trust me!

Fire Emblem: Awakening (Nintendo 3DS)
Fire Emblem: Awakening (Nintendo 3DS) by Nintendo (Nintendo 3DS)