There is so much good stuff in this book it's hard to pick a place to start.

If you are at a place where your ideas are not getting completed, then this book will give you some great tips to addressing that issue.

The book is a collection of themes and each one is written by a different author.

One of the things I was hoping to get out of...
Published 17 months ago by Stephen Luff

1.0 out of 5 stars Only buy if you're a creative
Published 7 months ago by Mumvpbucks

1.0 out of 5 stars Only buy if you're a creative, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Manage Your Day-to-Day: Build Your Routine, Find Your Focus, and Sharpen Your Creative Mind (The 99U Book Series) (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book based on the first 3 statements of the title: manage your day to day, build your routine, find your focus. Unfortunately the book is entirely focused on creativity. I gave up reading it about two thirds in as not only was the content mostly tips and insight I'd read elsewhere (or was already doing), but the way the content is presented is not engaging. Maybe if you are suffering from writers block this book may be of use, but there are much better books out there that cover the subject matter of this book's title.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for those with frustratingly unfinished projects!, 12 Jun 2013
Stephen Luff "Stephen L" (Worthing, Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There is so much good stuff in this book it's hard to pick a place to start.

One of the things I was hoping to get out of this book is understanding how to get the most out of the time I have for my projects that are outside my weekly, scheduled work.

Understanding the importance of regularly visiting your project, even for a few minutes daily, allows one to maintain a familiarity with the project. I was making the mistake of allocating 2 days a week to the project and nothing in between. What this caused was a loss of momentum and built in confusion when those 2 days were intercepted by outside events, leaving 14 days or even more before revisiting the project.

Letting go of perfectionism was a good chapter for me too. Yes I want my project to be the best it can be but it also needs to be able to breath with at least a first draft.

When you see a chapter entitled "Finding Focus in a distracted world" how could one not be drawn to reading and consuming the advice?

I believe I found insight in every chapter. Its all really good and delivers on the promise of getting ones current ideas completed before concerning oneself with even more ideas.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars doesn't mean it's BAD. Just not very wide ranging., 10 Aug 2013
Pallus (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
-WHO IS IT FOR?

The sub-heading inside the cover of this title says:

"Build Your Routine, Find Your Focus, and Sharpen Your Creative Mind".

The 'Creative Mind' part of this is the only clue that the book is partly aimed at writers. Indeed, most of the contributors to the book are authors themselves of one kind or another (columnists, bloggers etc.). This isn't particularly surprising as they are all peers of Jocelyn K who herself leads the '99U' and oversees the associated website 99U.com.

That doesn't mean that the guidance isn't also useful for us regular office workers but it would be especially useful to (budding) authors.

-AND WHAT IS IT?

It's a 'self-help' book giving guidance about how to prioritise one's work to achieve more. The book makes surprisingly narrow suggestions as to how to go about this. These few suggestions are then re-iterated in turn by the various contributors. I understand that this may be a way to affirm the points but it does get a bit repetitive.

-IS IT WORTH BUYING?

Overall, despite the book sometimes seeming like an excersise in drumming the same few points home, it IS definitely very useful advice. If nothing else, it will cause the reader to question how they work and how they can achieve more for themselves. With a little imagination, this can be used as a springboard to developing one's own ideas by questioning other aspects of one's working day/life.

However, if you already have a few of these types of books, I'm not sure you'll be learning much new here; this is more of a starting point than an exhaustive guide.

[My Ref: That book about how to respond to emails/distractions Aug 13]

4.0 out of 5 stars tried and tested, 13 Jun 2013
Adam Smith (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
you will not find anything within the covers of this book that is earth shatteringly new. It is a series of insights into better managementvof yourself in a world which is frequently frenetic and focused on the short term. So for example, it asks "do we or should we always be connected to the web or your phone? how and when do we seek to become creative eg standing in line, do we muse, or do we dive for the smartfone? Are we seeking perfection, when what we got is good enough for purpose? Do we really believe we can multitask- think again. These essays by different authors, are quite short and snappy, some just a couple of pages or so, and yes, can be read standing in line for the bus, or train, or a coffee.

They are useful hints and thought provoking, and no less valuable because you will already be aware of most of them, consciously or sub consciously.

Definitely useful- only gave it a four star because most of this is well known and around in one shape or form already- but this is a handy and useful read. Having read it, you could dip into it for profit on a weekly basis just to remind yourself how to be more effective.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Most of us spend too much time on what is urgent and not enough time on what is important." Stephen Covey, 26 Nov 2013
Robert Morris (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Jocelyn Glei edited this volume to which she and 20 others contributed their "insights on making things happen," as did Scott Belsky, CEO of Behance, who also wrote the Foreword, "Retooling for a New Era of Work." In fact, this is one of the first volumes in the 99U Box Series published by Amazon. Visit the 99U by Behance website and you will encounter this brief explanation: "For too long, the creative world has focused on idea generation at the expense of idea execution. As the legendary inventor Thomas Edison famously said, 'Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration.' To truly make great ideas a reality, we must act, experiment, fail, adapt, and learn on a daily basis. 99U is Behance's effort to provide this "missing curriculum" for making ideas happen. Through our Webby Award-winning website, popular events, and bestselling books, we share pragmatic, action-oriented insights from leading researchers and visionary creatives. At 99U, we don't want to give you more ideas--we want to empower you to make good on the ones you've got."

The brief but insightful essays are divided within four sections: Building a Rock-Solid Routine, Finding [and Sustaining] Focus in a Distracted World, Taming Your Tools, and Sharpening Your Creative Mind, followed by a Coda in which Steven Pressfield responds to this question: "How Pro Can You Go?" Each of the four sections includes a Q&A:

o Seth Godin on Honing Your Creative Practice
o Dan Ariely on Understanding Our Compulsions
o Tiffany Shlain on Reconsidering Constant Connectivity
o Stefan Sagmeister on Tricking Your Brain into Creativity

These are among the dozens of explanations special interest and value to me, also listed to indicate the scope of the book's coverage. The prefix for each is "How to..."

Lay the Groundwork for an Effective Routine, Mark McGuinness (25-29)
Make Room for Solitude, Leo Babauta (59-62)
Banish Multitasking from Our Repertoire, Christian Jarrett (81-85)
Learn to Create Amidst Chaos, Erin Rooney Doland (99-104)
Use Social Media Mindfully, Lori Deschene (133-138
Reclaim Our Self-Respect, James Victore (161-164)
Training Your Mind to Be Ready for Insight, Scott McDowell (183-189)
Let Go of Perfectionism, Elizabeth Grace Saunders (203-209)

With regard to the reference to "a new era of work," Belsky explains: "The biggest problem we face today is 'reactionary workflow.' We have started to live a life pecking away at the many inboxes around us, trying to stay afloat by responding and reacting to the latest thing: e-mails, text messages, tweets, and so on...I urge you to build a better routine by stepping outside of it, find [or recover] your focus by rising above the constant cacophony, and sharpen your creative prowess by analyzing what really matters most when it comes to making your ideas happen."

In other words, "a new era of work" is there for the taking but it will not be given. It must be seized.

3.0 out of 5 stars read it a month ago - don't remember anything useful from it, 11 April 2014
read it a month ago - don't remember anything useful from it. Repeating advices that you've already heard. But if you need an inspirational push, not new insights, this can work for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brief and Useful, 26 Nov 2013
clahain (Las Vegas, Nevada) - See all my reviews
If "procrastinator" isn't my middle name, it's only because my parents didn't want to embarrass me. I am a strange hybrid--a creative person who is also a type A++ personality. I do not perform at my best without some sort of structure. When I left graduate school for the life of a freelance writer, I found myself drowning in "free" time with little sense of how to reach my ever-growing (because I never actually reached one and got to cross it off!) list of goals. It took me years to develop the discipline and solid work habit that came to me so naturally as a student.

MANAGE YOUR DAY-TO-DAY isn't a long or exhaustive exploration of time management and life balance. It's a tiny, targeted little primer full of good advice on building a solid work routine, focusing creative energy, surviving constant connectivity, and generating new ideas. Each section includes short articles by working artists and contemporary thought leaders that get straight to the meat of the given topic such as Harnessing the Power of Frequency, Making Room for Solitude, Learning to Create Amid Chaos, and Using Social Media Mindfully. At the end of each section is are specific "Key Takeaways"--action steps the reader can take NOW to improve his or her day-to-day.

What's great about such a little dynamo of a book, is that I can revisit it whenever I feel my old habits (or lack thereof) sneaking up on me. The result is immediate and relatively painless course correction. The way I see it, the only people who won't profit from this book are the producers and stars of reality television. I know my viewing hours of popcorn television have gone down...and my writing output has gone way up!

3.0 out of 5 stars OK self-help manual, 14 Aug 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an easily digestible, OK self-help book. As with most of the efforts in this genre the core message and info isn't that new or particularly ground breaking but this particular book is well written and nicely presented in digestible, short chapters. Albeit that you can probably get most of what's presented in this book across the internet with little effort, this is a handy little book to have if you want the various self-help strands explored here collected in one place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loads of good tips, inspirational and informative, 10 Aug 2013
Does what it says on the tin, helps you to focus (in my case refocus) and gives you loads of advice on how to keep that focus. Routine is king! Now get back to work!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Straight to the point - easy to understand, 13 Jun 2013
This book shares stories on how to manage things that may come your way in an easy to understand, straight to the point kind of way, and I really liked it.
The various people who contributed what they do to stay focused do it in a well written way, but never claim theirs is the best way, instead just giving some inspiration for those of us that aren't as well organized. These stories are interwoven with facts and other tips from the author, and each chapter ends with some key notes to take away from.

What might separate this book from the scores of other books just like it? It's not too long - and like stated above, straight to the point- , and it has a lot of different points of view because of the various contributors.