5.0 out of 5 stars India, Spirituality, Medicine and America
These are four reasons why I found this book interesting.
The fifth reason would be that it is written by two brothers who tell from their own view in alternative chapters, how their lives began in India, how they both chose medicine and both emigrated to America, where each of them has become very successful in different ways.

I had read some of Deepak...
Published 19 months ago by elsie purdon

3.0 out of 5 stars Medical book alongside autobiography.
I was very interested in this book given I have read some of Deepaks work and am interested in the mind body spirit thing.
This is an autobiograpy written by Deepak and his brother Sanjiv, a liver doctor.
Alternative chapters are written about there upbringing in India and how they came to USA and their medical career.

I found the book well written...
Published 18 months ago by Thinker

5.0 out of 5 stars India, Spirituality, Medicine and America, 17 Jun. 2013
elsie purdon "reads too much" (dorset uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are four reasons why I found this book interesting.

I had read some of Deepak Chopra's books and thought it would be interesting to know more about him, in fact in this book I found his younger brother Sanjiv just as interesting. Both have followed in their father's footsteps by becoming doctors but they are clearly quite different kinds of people.

Deepak has become famous for his deep beliefs in the mind/body connection and his own way of combining modern science with the ancient beliefs of India, and the Indian healing methods of Ayurvedic practices.

Sanjiv is a professor of medicine and faculty dean at Harvard Medical School.
What makes this book so interesting is the viewpoint of India by two men who grew up there but are now very Westernised. You are getting both points of reference, the Eastern and the Western at the same time. This is rare if not unique.
Also their experience of emigrating to America and building their lives there. Neither set out with the intention to not return to India.
The brothers have always been close and the book has some wonderful stories of their childhood. Some times the same story from each of them giving the reader a feeling of getting to them both far more than a regular memoir or biography would.

After a while you can tell who wrote which chapter just by their differing personality showing in their writing styles.
I really liked Sanjiv's way of direct and simple communication.
Deepak is somehow more circular and slippery even. I remembered that I could never really take to his philosophy though, as if somehow the core of it remained elusive. In this book I found out that both the brothers were deeply into TM mediation.

This is a fascinating book and contains a lot of information on many topics. It is well written by both brothers and is definitely a book I will reread.
Very definitely recommended read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Medical book alongside autobiography., 30 July 2013
Thinker - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I found the book well written and interesting but I have to say for me it could not be above 3 stars purely because it was way more medical than had expected or hoped, not my thing for reading about and the book started on a very moving but very graphic tummy turning event that put me off the book soon as I started reading.

I found it hard to remember which of the brothers I was reading about as the writing style to me was very similar -hearing about their children helped to identify whose chapter it was and we did get to know the family a little.
I also liked to hear Sanjivs views on Deepak and how he is.

If your tummy is stronger than mine and you like a medical read, then this is a thoughtful, interesting book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Read, 3 Jun. 2013
Miss M. L. English "Mary English" (Bath, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I certainly enjoyed reading this book. I don't usually read biographies but I like Deepak's other writing and his stance on mind-body, so I was interested enough to choose this.

It charts the two brothers journey from India to America, with a vast amount of personal detail. It made me see a side of the Chopra's I hadn't known about before. It tells us their inner thinking, their likes and dislikes and the reasons they made the choices that they did.

I did feel as I was reading it, that it was as if they wanted to chart 'their' version of their 'story' before anyone else did, and before they get too old or infirm to do it themselves....

The book is split into chapters, one from each brother.

Sanjiv the younger brother writes in true Virgo-style (I'm an astrologer so this remark is only for people that use astrology...) in a clear linear fashion, rarely deviating from what seems to be an honest account of events. He writes without making any criticisms and is helpful and thankful for the new life that America offered him.

Deepak writes in a much stranger way. He leaps about time-wise (in true Pisces Ascendant style, even though he's a Libra), adds in lots of his philosophies, explains why he made drastic life-changes and about turns...going from being a 'regular' doctor to one involved in the mind, transcendental meditation, healthy life-styles etc....so by the time I got to the end of the book, I felt as if I knew the pair of them quite well.

They both come from privileged backgrounds, this is not a rag-to-riches story, more a riches to extra riches tale but you learn how much hard work they have put into their lives to be where they are now.

I don't live in the USA so I can't comment about their experience of American life, but I can say this is an enjoyable read, one I wanted to get to the end of and is well thought out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 23 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Brotherhood: Dharma, Destiny, and the American Dream (Kindle Edition)
I have been a fan of Deepak Chopra for around fifteen years, have seen him speak several times and have read many of his books. This one is a fascinating insight into how his work evolved and reveals a committed physician and a very human man. I didn't know much about his brother prior to reading this book, but he also comes across in the same light. They both give a great deal of credit to their parents and speak of their loving extended family. Celebrity biographies hold no interest for me generally, but these two sensitive, caring brothers have much wisdom to impart to us all.

5.0 out of 5 stars insight into India and the West through the Dopra brothers, 22 Jun. 2013
Fascinating. Each famous brother writes a chapter each in turn and evokes the old India they knew and the Western world they live in.
A must-read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating insight, 31 May 2013
Having trained as an orthodox doctor and then after being a full time GP for thirty years changed to a medical herbalist and experiencing the bias towards male doctors this book was a compelling read

3.0 out of 5 stars and beyond dharma ?, 22 Oct. 2014
A not too innocent duo of the famous Chopra brothers, famous both as writers and as high calibre specialised doctors.
It reflects a very clanic reading of personal and familial history, not lacking of charm though. A lot of nostalgia is infused which makes the whole exercise of introversion more palatable and digestible.
Apart from the family history and the Dharma, widely expounded as their career success in the western hemisphere, one is rewarded with numerous and interesting insights in Hinduism and Indian complex society. I had pleasure reading those chapters.
All this for that ? We are left without a conclusion of general interest though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Chopra book in 20 years, 20 July 2014
Fascinating autobiographical account of the intertwined lives of the two Chopra brothers, both highly successful in their personal and public lives. The chapters are written turn about by the brothers, and reveal much about their characters, development and family life. The story of how Deepak split with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi is objectively explained.
Both brothers are at the top of their professions, and both reveal a deep commitment to improving medical care in all its aspects for everyone. A really good read, highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull and pompous, 6 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've struggled with Deepak Chopra's writing in the past. I find it pompous and isolating which is strange because I greatly admire his work.

This book was my attempt at another chance to relate to him. Total washout unfortunately. I could not finish the book as it's very self-congratulatory. Deepak and his brother write in alternate chapters and if they can say something in 20 words, they'll choose to go with 1400 words...

Not my cup of tea and I think I'll stop trying to make his writing talk to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed the 2 brothers writing this book with alternate chapters, 26 Sept. 2014
I enjoyed the 2 brothers writing this book with alternate chapters. It gave good perspectives from both sides, and believe me they are different viewpoints yet they meet so often. I liked the historical facts of growing up in India and later moving to America.
I have followed Deepak's writing and teachings for a while now, but this book gave me a very human insight to the man, I didn't even know he had a brother!
Highly recommend this book...buy it and relax into another world.