5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent power
There are people who write to tell a story; some who write to put across a point of view; and some use the process of writing to discover things about themselves that they did not know. This last category contains many examples of hopeless self-indulgence and self-deception, but on rare occasions an honest and painful struggle is expressed in clear liquid prose that not...
Published 8 months ago by Martin Ternouth

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I was expecting.
I was attracted by Africa but the book was all about herself and her confusion and the few people she meets along the way. Pretty grim part of Africa, barren, inhospitable with little habitation. Clearly somewhere to be avoided.
At the time she was there it was relatively peaceful with only rumblings of trouble but since then it has erupted with the Islamic threat...
Published 7 months ago by BJO Tucker

3.0 out of 5 stars It passes the time, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: To the Moon and Timbuktu: A Trek Through the Heart of Africa (Kindle Edition)
The book is well enough written and feels as if it has potential but I found that it dragged a bit and was a bit depressing at times. It's not the kind of book that I haven't been able to put down.but it is a nice enough read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love travellers who spill thier guts, but this was really special., 27 Dec 2013
What can I say. Done with the book but with the heat of Africa racing throung my body I e-mailed my 3 sisters & 3 neices/nephews in Australia, my 2 best friends in USA and same same in Brazil - to without delay get a I-Pad / Kindle download of this enchanting biography.

Read it, love it, be horified, have faith in dreams.

I often read a book and forget the authors name. I will never forget the name or story of Nina Sovich.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting travel writing, 25 Dec 2013
G (Canterbury, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
An unusual mixture of travel writing with personal events. Well written giving a taste of Africa ,the sounds smells and atmosphere of the culture.

4.0 out of 5 stars Patient Husband, 24 Dec 2013
Brave maybe but entirely selfish even if she endured hardship. Did she imagine that her absence from reality was a good thing or turning your back against real responsibility?

5.0 out of 5 stars A startling read, 22 Dec 2013
Mrs B A Weller (WESTCLIFF ON SEA, Essex, GB) - See all my reviews
Not what I expected. A travel book which says says little about travel but a lot about getting there. It is a series of reflections on life, on women, on marriage. A wonderful restful book which I imagine dipping into and out of a lot. You can open the book anywhere and will have a satisfying read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait to finish this, 17 Dec 2013
Oh, finding time to read is so difficult. I've only read a couple of chapters of this book but so far I love it. It's me! I've travelled rough, but in the Middle East. However I know what it's like and I'm dying to read how she gets on. Going to Timbuktu has always been on my "must-do-before-I-die" list but, approaching 80 when Mali is in turmoil, makes this a non-option now. I'll do it vicariously with Nina's book. I know she won't let me down.,

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes you want to go there!, 16 Dec 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed this book which is eons away from what I usually read. Nina makes you feel as though you are travelling with her and it is somewhat disappointing when her African journey comes to an end.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, 18 Mar 2014
This was an interesting book, and follows the journey of a women on her travels through Africa. The descriptions of the various places visited is excellent but I found the narrator of the book at times a bit annoying and a touch arrogant. I have given it 3 stars as this book was about self discovery but not sure that this was quite achieved.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ann-Kent, 29 Jan 2014
Mrs. A. P. Kelly (Kent) - See all my reviews
I was expecting more from this book. I couldn't understand how the author could spend so much time away from her husband, and him being so understanding about the length of absence. It didn't really give any really good reason why she would want to trek around Africa ..It was disappointing.

2.0 out of 5 stars I have no idea what this book was about!, 28 Jan 2014
This is the worst book I have read in years. There was no story, in my opinion the author came across as totally patronising and I have no idea at all what message she was trying to convey other than ' What a clever girl I am enduring hardship when I was pregnant'