on 29 December 2013
a must read for all lady travellers who love Africa, you will be with Nina every step of the way. She demonstrates how experiences in childhood effect our adult life.
on 24 March 2014
It brought to life what it might be like to travel beyond Morocco on the road to Timbuktu and gave an insight into all we really need in life.
on 31 December 2013
I was attracted by Africa but the book was all about herself and her confusion and the few people she meets along the way. Pretty grim part of Africa, barren, inhospitable with little habitation. Clearly somewhere to be avoided.
At the time she was there it was relatively peaceful with only rumblings of trouble but since then it has erupted with the Islamic threat and suggestions it will be the new Al Qaeda front.
Nevertheless, I enjoyed the read and now know a bit more about that part of Africa.
on 5 October 2014
Very good book.but because I am disabled I could not have read more.but I well when I am bater
on 22 June 2015
Not just a travel book but a coming to terms with disquiet feelings from childhood and newly married in slightly alien Paris finding ,adjusting ,challenging ,pushing herself through her travels through West Africa a challenge in its self .....so enjoyed this book
on 12 January 2014
Easy to read.
A wonderful way of blending in genuinely interesting travel writing with a rarely self-indulgent reflection of her life. I can relate to her story at several points (though, not sure if that is simply because I am a women of a similar age!).
on 27 March 2015
A fairly enjoyable book. The main character had some interesting and exciting adventures. I never quite understood why she wanted to be away from her husband for so much of her time when she purported to love him. Life is strange sometimes.....
on 12 January 2014
It was an interesting read, although I couldn't understand why the author found it necessary to go back to Africa when she was pregnant, particularly after the exhausted state she was in when she returned to Paris after the first trip!!
on 27 December 2013
The book is well enough written and feels as if it has potential but I found that it dragged a bit and was a bit depressing at times. It's not the kind of book that I haven't been able to put down.but it is a nice enough read.
on 16 December 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed this book which is eons away from what I usually read. Nina makes you feel as though you are travelling with her and it is somewhat disappointing when her African journey comes to an end.