on 23 April 2013
If you live in the USA and you care about what you eat (and if you live in the USA you BETTER care about what you eat, because the FDA and USDA don't!) then read this book.

But not until you have read the Caltons' Naked Calories, which will give you the background education you need to understand why you need this book.

You may think that you live in the world's most advanced nation and that if there is food on the shelves of the supermarket, it must be good for you. Nothing could be further from the truth. For instance, in Mountain Dew (how innocuous does that sound? Mountain Dew!) there is an ingredient that is banned in 100 countries around the world. In Singapore if you were to put that ingredient in food you would get 15 years in prison.

In most countries in the world, food producers have to prove their products are safe for human consumption. In the USA, by and large food is assumed to be safe unless someone proves otherwise. Well, the Caltons are the people you need to go to if you want to be able to distinguish between what is safe and nutritious on the supermarket shelves, or what decidedly isn't!

I do have a problem with the book: it is 100% USA focused. I spend part of every year in the USA and it will guide us round the shelves while we are there. The rest of the year I live in the UK (although as I write this I am in Crete!) where things aren't quite so bad, but are still far from perfect. I have in mind to produce a UK addendum to the book (but, until I do that, I recommend the produce of Laverstoke Park Farm in Hampshire, and anything that has the Soil Association logo on it!)
on 3 December 2014
This book is an eye opener. I didn't realise that such stuff went into 'food'. I have been eating Primal for some years now and felt the health benefits, and since reading this book, I certainly don't feel like cheating by eating pizza or ice cream, especially vanilla flavoured! It's time that some of the 'food' companies are treated like the criminals they are.

Knowledge is power and I shall certainly spread the news around.

Thank you for an extremely well researched book.
on 4 April 2014
full colour, easy to read and follow, simple guidelines to keep you safe while navigating the food aisles, many thanks for this book
on 6 July 2015
Highly recommend this straight forward and insightful delivery of what not to eat and why not.
on 29 August 2014
Real information about real food. If you want health this is essential reading
on 18 October 2014