4.0 out of 5 stars Far better than expected!
I LOVE Sophie Mckenzie's books but I've never been a fan of this series. I thought the first book was slightly slow, dull and predictable and totally unlike any of her other action-packed series! However, I hated thinking that there is a Sophie Mcenzie book out there that I haven't read! So I took the plunge and purchased it.

I was very thankful that Mckenzie...
Published 19 months ago by ghybjkl

3.0 out of 5 stars None
this is a quick and enjoyable read. only criticism is the cliffhanger ending which i hated. next book casting shadows is out 4th july 2013 on kindle
Published 18 months ago by el

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Far better than expected!, 4 Jan 2013

I was very thankful that Mckenzie was able to give a brief summery of what happened in the last book as I'd forgotten, and so I was able to get into the book fairly quickly, and a few chapters in... I was hooked. This book had tons more action than the previous and I started to like River a lot more and I could totally understand her decisions. I empathised with Flynn one second and hated him the next. Each character seemed to have their own little piece in this book and it was nice getting to know the characters a bit better.

I do have a small criticism however... although I felt this book had a much better and more interesting plot I did feel everything was a bit repetitive... it was like 'They fall out, they make up, they fall out, they make up etc etc' and I started to find myself getting frustrated and thinking 'Just get on with it!!' but I really can't complain too much as like I said the plot was much better.

The ending REALLY annoyed me. There were tons of moments when Mckenzie could have appropriately ended the book... but no, she ended it on the WORST cliff hanger EVER which leaves me dying to read the next book in the series... however I do feel that by the time the next book in the series is out I would have forgotten all about what happened in this book!

Overall I was really surprised and pleased that this book was so good. It was a total step up from Falling Fast and I can now safely say I am hooked on this series just from reading this one book in the series... In fact I wish I'd skipped Falling Fast and just started with this book! So if you find yourself wondering if you should buy this because you didn't enjoy Falling Fast... DO IT. I've totally changed my opinion now. I was up into the early hours reading this book and I wouldn't put it down until it was finished. I have to say this is still nothing compared to Mackenzie's other book's such as the 'Missing' series and the 'Blood Ties' series but I have to say it was a much needed improvement on the first book in this series. I hear Mckenzie is bringing out a totally new thriller called 'Split Second' which I'm dying to read... but I can now safely say I'm also looking forward to the next book in this series 'Casting Shadows'... and that's something I never thought I'd say!

4.0 out of 5 stars Burning Bright, 6 Jan 2013
This is the second book in Sophie McKenzie's series about the teenage romance between River and Flynn. Yet again it has a gorgeous cover which is beautiful and made me itch to pick it up and start reading.

The story follows Flynn and River and their volatile relationship. River loves him wholly and completely but struggles to deal with Flynn's explosive temper. Her parents and friends don't approve of him either but she can't imagine living without him. McKenzie depicts the intensity of their relationship which quite often seems to be stifling and claustrophobic. They are together as much as they can be but don't often give each other any space without one or the other of them feeling jealous. River trusts Flynn but he doesn't always seem to give her good reason to and some of his actions in the book thoroughly test her patience and her loyalty.

I liked the realistic aspect of the story, which shows that true love doesn't always run smoothly. A lot of obstacles are placed between River and Flynn and it was interesting to see how they handled these. River has to face her mother's disapproval of her choice of boyfriend and Flynn has home problems of his own with his father appearing back on the scene. He also has to finally acknowledge that he may have the same unpredictable temperament as the father he hates which threatens to come between him and River.

This was a quick read and I finished it in one evening, in part to the fact that the story was so enjoyable I couldn't put it down. I'm looking forward to finding out what will happen next in the third book in the series 'Casting Shadows'.

5.0 out of 5 stars An unputdownable read., 4 Jan 2013
Originally posted on [...]
This is the second book in Sophie McKenzie's four part romance series and I have to say that with each book this series just get better and better. Seriously, I was left feeling desperate for the third book, Casting Shadows. An unputdownable read.
The emotional intensity of the relationship between River and Flynn is at times dazzling, as well as stifling. Flynn reminded me of a younger version of Travis from Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire. Only Flynn is on the verge of complete melt down; his temper is finally taking its toll on all of his relationships, putting his romance with River on the edge of finishing. All around Flynn, life grows intolerable as rumours are spread. Yet River never stops loving him; her loyalty to him would win an award.
River changes in this book though. Her emotional arc leads her towards the first steps of maturity, as she realises she can no longer live with Flynn's volatile temper. It's like her eyes have been cleared and she sees sense for the first time.
This book deals very heavily with teenage anger and the different ways to deal with it. Teenager's emotions are so complex and abundant that the least little thing can cause a major melt down. It is very rare for them to look at the situation from another person's angle, especially an adult, and I think the author captures that extremely well. This book shows that anger management isn't just for adults; I wonder sometimes whether it should be taught as an extra curricular activity in schools.
The author has an uncanny knack of hitting on past events and situations that arose within my own teenage years. I find myself nodding at the story unfolds, remembering similar things happening. We were an angry bunch of teens who thought we knew better than the adults. It's quite funny when you reflect and look back.
This book is a very real look at love - nothing is made pretty and held back. Just a true relationship that occurs among the teenagers of today. The author has captured the intensity of teenager relationships as they cross the boundaries into adult territory. Sophie McKenzie knows how to write about real teenage lives.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good..., 29 Dec 2012
This book is really good I've only had it for a couple of days and I've already finished it. Burning Bright grips you from the start and you can't put it down. It also really relates to teenage problems nowadays. However it doesn't end how you would've thought it would and I think the ending is very good because it has a good cliffhanger and it leaves you wanting to find out what happens next. I think this book is excellent (if you like romantic books) and it keeps you wanting to read to the end and I am definitely going to buy the next two books after Burning Bright when they come out (Casting Shadows) and the one after that. I hope this review helped you and I hope you enjoy reading the book as much as I have. I would definitely recommended Burning Bright!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I really liked tis book, 5 April 2014
This review is from: Burning Bright (Kindle Edition)
A really enjoyable read. I found that I connected well with the characters in the book and enjoyed the writer's style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Burning Bright (Kindle Edition)
This book was simple wonderful! I enjoyed having the sequel to the first book and really got into this story! Sadly my maths homework will have to wait because I`m onto the next book

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 11 Mar 2014
This review is from: Burning Bright (Kindle Edition)
I love the way Sophie McKenzie writes. Everything in this book I could imagine happening in my head, her imagery is outstanding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Flynn book 1, 4 Mar 2014
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Burning Bright picks up River and Flynn's story several months on from the end of Falling Fast, they are still head over heels in love with each other but that doesn't mean their problems have gone away. Flynn is still having issues with his temper and as much as he tries not to take it out on River he can be very snappish with her and he's also getting into trouble at school for fighting. River's friends are wary of him because of the rumours about his behaviour and even her mother is against them seeing each other but River is determined not to let anyone get in their way.

Sophie McKenzie has done a fantastic job of capturing the emotions teenagers feel, this series takes me straight back to the days of my first boyfriend and reminds me how obsessed I was with him and how convinced I was that he was "the one". River can be a little naive at times but it doesn't annoy me because I can so clearly remember being exactly like her when I was her age. What I really like about her is that even though she is crazy about Flynn that doesn't make her blind to his behaviour and she is prepared to call him on it when he doesn't treat her right. So many YA and NA books seem to glorify the bad boys and romanticise behaviour that is basically little more than stalking so it is refreshing to see a series that shows this behaviour as wrong and encourages teenage girls not to put up with it.

Just as I did in the first book I still have mixed feelings about Flynn. I feel terrible for the things he went through as a child, nobody should have to witness the way his father treated his mother or take the brunt of his father's anger just to protect his sisters so of course I hate that Flynn had those experiences. I can understand where his anger issues come from and it's easy to see how he ended up with that huge chip on his shoulder but that doesn't justify his behaviour. His anger out and out terrifies me and if he doesn't do something about it then he's going to end up killing someone. Thankfully I'm not the only one who sees that and River is encouraging him to get help with his issues. He can be such a sweet boy and I'm sure that if he takes the initiative and gets the counselling he needs he will be able to turn things around.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next in Casting Shadows. I feel invested in the outcome of the story, I want to see River continuing to stand strong and I want to see Flynn prove that he deal with his issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, 19 Feb 2014
Mollie Vander (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Burning Bright (Kindle Edition)
This was fantastic and I think that this should be the best of all the books. And I THINK THAT IT IS STUPID THAT YOU HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE

5.0 out of 5 stars Burning bright, 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: Burning Bright (Kindle Edition)
amazing. definitely for teenage girls but brilliant and romantic.
such a good book. seriously read this book. you will love it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›