5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!
Landon is a pretty average guy. And this story starts with his death.
Published 14 months ago by Miss K Marsden

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great!
A good read with an excellent storyline.However, the writing and characters lack depth.Enjoyable and I look forward to finishing the series.
Published 7 months ago by stephen thomas

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 4 Jun 2013
This review is from: Balance (The Divine, Book One) (The Divine Series 1) (Kindle Edition)
Landon is a pretty average guy. And this story starts with his death.
We follow him to Purgatory, and to the revelation of his destiny. To be a champion for humankind, and be able to wield all manner of magic and bend the world to his will. The downside - he's not fighting for good or evil; he's in fact fighting to make sure there is no outright winner, because if either side wins, humans will pay the price. Which means that both sides consider him the enemy, and he has no allies.

Landon is sent back to earth to restore the balance. The war is currently tipping in the demons' direction, and he needs to find a way to set them back.
This involves angels, vampires, weres and marines.

I downloaded this for free from Amazon a while ago, and eventually got round to reading it. I'll be honest, I wasn't overly drawn to it by the description, and I am always sceptical of high reviews, but thought I'd give it a go.
The first couple of chapters were ok, but I felt like I was reading the book accompaniment of 'The Matrix', which was only compounded by references to the film. I was worried that the rest of the book would continue to rely on established media. And do you know what, it did - but I am going to have to eat my words; because as it went on, the little references to The Matrix, Star Wars, Captain America (and any others I might have missed) were all really funny and made my geek side smile.
As soon as Landon is sent back to earth, he stumbles along from one incident to another, gradually learning what he is capable of and how to control it. He gathers an unlikely team to help him, as we learn more about his enemies.

Balance is a perfect mix of action, adventure, angels and demons. It is a thrilling ride as Landon tries to keep some sense of direction in the war he has been thrown into the middle of. There is magic, sword fights and gun battles, and they are all expertly written, never feeling clumpy or overdone.

So all in all, I turned from a sceptic to being absolutely blown away. It was so exciting that even my usual glass of wine was completely neglected as I was so wrapped-up in reading just one more chapter. I'm not sure how that translates into Amazon stars, but I'm going to give it a 5 without doubt.

I cannot wait to read the rest of the series and see how it all unfolds for Landon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 30 Jun 2013
I can't rate this highly enough. The story and characters gripped me from the start. Really enjoyable. This has a very different slant on life and that beyond it. Get this and you won't regret it !!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 1 April 2013
Its an amazing book that grips you right from the start, with an interesting take on science and religion it is well worth buying. I enjoyed every page of it!!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great!, 30 Dec 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 29 Dec 2013
P. Walsh "Patsy Donegal" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
Kept me enthralled from the start. Can't wait to read the second one. And the third. Romantic fantasy, yet humorous.

5.0 out of 5 stars A unique and intriguing story., 30 May 2014
A very absorbing book with unputdownability. The plot had me, I couldn't guess where it was going and when it got there it was jaw dropping.
Will read the next and the next and I believe the next,
I recommend highly

3.0 out of 5 stars An easy read, 9 May 2014
Landon advances through the levels like a fantasy roleplaying character on nitro. The concept is a bit of a rehash of stuff that's been done before, albeit in a new take. Fun, exciting, a lot of rich action - and there's some great bitsof truly original imagination in there - it's an easy read. I'd love to see Forbes's writing style mature, his plot and characters realised in more depth, and really wish he'd kept this series in his back pocket until he'd done that as I think it had more to offer. Actually I think Forbes in general has more to offer, not sure I'll take up the rest of the series, but I'll defintiely keep an eye out.

Having said that - great to see an author launching themself on this platform successfully, keep writing!

2.0 out of 5 stars Derivative and obvious, 6 May 2014
This is not badly written although a little wooden and lacking in zest but is very similar to many other books like it and really doesn't have surprises.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable., 3 April 2014
It took me a while to get into this book after the first few pages caught my attention but i'm glad i stuck with it as the characters started to get a lot more interesting as the story unfolded.

Would recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid fantasy debut, 23 Mar 2014
Readable, enjoyable urban fantasy. I plan to purchase the next book in the series but it is a level below the best series in this space

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›