Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.23

on 11 May 2012
After four years at university, I used to pride myself on being able to write clear and comprehensive reports. Over twenty years later, I began to wonder why my website wasn't creating the interest it should and why my marketing literature failed to generate the clients I was seeking. It eventually dawned on me that if I wanted more clients, I would have to change the style of my writing and adopt a sales-oriented approach as opposed to one that had its roots in academia.

I spent a considerable time researching the vast number of copywriting books on the market before deciding to purchase Write To Sell by Andy Maslen. I have not been dissapointed. Andy demystifies the whole process of writing copy that will sell and presents his ideas in a well-structured and concise manner. Whether you want to re-write the content of your website, produce an engaging sales leflet or even re-design a menu, everything you need to know is in this book.

Andy is the founder and owner of Sunfish, a copywriting agency set up in 1996, so he has a wealth of experience upon which to draw.

If you only buy one book on copywriting, I recommend Write To Sell; it does exactly what it's designed to do.
on 26 November 2008
I have to write a lot of copy at work for everything from web pages to press advertising. My employer hasn't given me much training - they just told me to "buy a couple of books". Well I'm glad I bought this one. Andy Maslen takes a very straightforward, no-nonsense approach with loads of practical examples of what to do (and what not to do!). There are lots of books out there but most of them are too American or direct mail focused. You have to wade through loads of padding to get to the good stuff. Write to Sell is 100% usable advice from someone who earns his living as a top copywriter. Whatever level of copywriter you are, I'd recommend this as a must-have.

*****
on 9 December 2008
I spent ages working out whether to get this or another, similarly titled, book. I'm very glad I got this one.

It's clear why Maslen is a professional copy writer, as his style is so easy to digest.

He gives you all the tools you need to build, step-by-step, far better and more effective copy. My copy writing has markedly improved, and it really wasn't hard to do as a result of this book.

If you see any room for improvement in your own sales writing, this book will help you fill that room.
on 4 September 2009
Andy Maslen has produced a beautiful book on how to write well. His compact, easy- to-read guide offers plenty of useful information. Though designed for advertising copywriters, it will help anyone in business who must communicate with others in writing, that is, nearly everyone. Maslen outlines the basics of effective written communication: Employ the active voice, be brief, use short words and sentences and so on. Throughout the book, Maslen provides numerous examples to show what he means. This is a high-quality book, though not a perfect one. Maslen presents a great number of acronyms - perhaps one too many. And, the formatting of his guide may seem slightly messy to those who prefer a simple, clean page to one peppered with bold print, italics and emphatic capitalization. Other than a few similar minor gaffes, however, this is an outstanding book. getAbstract recommends it to anyone who wants to become a better writer.
on 23 March 2009
I found this book, Write to Sell, to be very useful. As a publications manager, I praise and recommend that book. It is one of the best writing guides that I have seen (and I have read several). The author's advice on customer focus is eye-opening, even for those who have studied marketing and business, as I have. It is an ideal short introduction to copywriting and business writing in general, I feel. Give it a try - you will probably not be disappointed.
on 3 January 2009
I bought this book as I wanted to gain more confidence when writing direct mail letters and brochures. I have worked in marketing for a few years and even though I have had training in the past, this book really helped me to structure my writing and think aboutthe person who would be reading my letters etc.

It's written in an easy to read format and is a very handy size. This book really is an invaluable resource and I would recommend to anybody who wants to gain additional copywriting skills.
on 3 March 2009
I'm still reading this book but so far it has proved to be concise, well written (as it should be!) and a great resource for anyone interested in marketing, advertising, and even general persuasive writing. Recommended.
on 1 April 2012
I was a little skeptical when I purchased this book initially. I'd read a particular review stating that this is pretty standard stuff and there was nothing new in here. That's completely wrong if you're new to copy-writing.

I currently run a retail company, with an ecommerce store as part of that mix. This book has helped tremendously in structuring written content, from press releases through to online copy on product pages.

There's a lot of actionable stuff in here. I keep coming back to it as a ready reference to ensure my copy is as good as it can be. My copy could probably do with some further improvement, but, as the author states, everything takes practice. This book helps you plan your copy. There's no silver bullet approach in here, but there IS a lot of usable guidance that you can apply differently to most scenarios you'd face in a business.

If you want to get away from your current scatter-gun approach to copy writing, i'd suggest you give this book a go.
on 26 November 2008
This is a great book. No B.S., concise, straightforward and crammed with very useful tips for sales writers. So much in this book and great value.
on 28 March 2010
This is a clear and highly effective guide to the basic principles of effective copywriting. In a handy format of less than 200 pages. And done with a refreshingly light touch.

But the subtitle "the ultimate guide to great copywriting" is misleading. Something that's probably publisher's hype rather than the author's fault. To be that it would need to address the different media and formats that can carry copy, carry loads of examples of good copywriting, deal with the offer, have a little about testing... and so on. There's also much more to be said about the differences between print and online copy than the author maintains.

So a great little book in terms of what it actually does. But watch out for that subtitle.