Customer Video Review     Length:: 9:52 Mins
Published 9 months ago by Davey B.

2.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY if you use WD USB 3 hard drives
More details are available on the Western Digital forums and at goo.gl/yFlA4f. The Fresco Logic USB 3 chips do not work well with devices that don't support link power management (LPM, USB 3 power saving) and unlike the USB 3 chips from Renesas (NEC) and Intel, LPM cannot be disabled on the FL100x or FL1100. There is a solution of sorts on the link I posted above for...
Published 12 months ago by Mark Olive

5.0 out of 5 stars Installation Video for Inateck's USB 3.0 PCI-E Expansion Card - a great performer in a well-rounded package, 6 Mar 2014
Length:: 9:52 Mins

The physical installation of this card was an extremely simple affair. Inateck included accessories in the box to accommodate several different system configurations. For providing power directly to the card instead of letting it draw through the motherboard, there is a SATA power splitter along with a 4-pin Molex to SATA y-adapter harness, which allows you to connect to both old and current generation power supplies. A standard mounting bracket comes pre-installed on the card, but a short bracket is also included in the box for small form factor cases. The card also has a 20-pin USB 3.0 header on its rear for connecting other USB expansion ports to it (such as a front panel device).

Being a PCI-E 1x card, you can install this into any available PCI-E slot in your system regardless of size, from 1x to 16x. Installing the card into a larger slot won't provide any additional speed, but it will still work just fine.

Speaking of speed, I performed both synthetic and real-world benchmarks to compare this expansion card to the built-in USB2.0 ports in my system. My test system was a Dell XPS9100 tower (i7-930 processor with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) in conjuction with a Western Digital My Passport 500GB USB 3.0 portal hard drive.

Using CrystalDiskMark 3.0.3a, I obtained the following results:

Inateck USB3.0 Sequential Read, 1000MB: 49.34 MB/s
Inateck USB3.0 Sequential Write, 1000MB: 48.75 MB/s
Inateck USB3.0 Random Read, 512KB: 25.05 MB/s
Inateck USB3.0 Random Write, 512KB: 12.88 MB/s

The synthetic benchmarks show an increase in speed using the Inateck USB3.0 expansion card, especially for sequential reads and writes, but it's not as large of a margin as I was expecting. Of course, synthetic benchmarks are just that; they don't necessarily indicate real-world performance. As they say, that's why we run the races. For a more realistic test, I transferred some 10GB and 15GB files back and forth to the drive. The below figures are from each test after the transfer speeds leveled out. For the write tests going from the Desktop to the Portable Drive, I've also listed the initial speeds from the first few seconds of the transfer in parentheses after the leveled out speeds.

Dell USB2.0 10GB file, Read: 31.9 MB/s
Inateck USB3.0 10GB file, Read: 86.4 MB/s

Dell USB2.0 15GB file, Write: 42.7 MB/s (initial speed: 86.4 MB/s)
Inateck USB3.0 15GB file, Write: 73.3 MB/s (initial speed: 170 MB/s)

As you can see, there is a much greater difference between the USB3.0 and USB2.0 speeds in the real world file transfer tests. The Inateck USB3.0 expansion card has been a breath of fresh air for moving large files between my portable drive and my desktop computer. More and more external hard drives on the market these days are using USB3.0, so making the small investment to upgrade your computer with USB3.0 connections will help you make the most of your hard drive purchase by enabling it to use the maximum transfer speeds possible.

My only minor issue with this package at all was with the instructions - specifically, the support page link. A driver disc is included in the package, but I always recommend visiting a manufacturer's website to get the most up-to-date drivers for your system when installing new hardware. In the instructions, it tells you to visit a website to obtain the current drivers, but the website address has a typo in it ("dirvers" instead of "drivers"), and the link given is also for the German version of the website. I instead went to the "Inateck.com" English website, which I found much easier to navigate. I also found newer versions of the drivers listed there than on their German page.

I used the drivers on the included disc during my initial installation of this card, but I had problems with my USB drive disconnecting and reconnecting during my tests. Uninstalling those drivers and installing the newest drivers from the website (listed in the comments section of this review) solved my problem. At the time of this review, the newest Windows 7 driver is Version 3.5.106.0.

All in all, I was very impressed with the performance increase I saw after installing this card and using it with my USB3.0 portable hard drive. Inateck's package is well thought out and easy to install; I would highly recommend this card to anyone looking to upgrade their computer with USB3.0 support.

Review disclosure: I was provided a sample of this product for the purposes of examination and review. No review or particular rating was promised in return, and the opinions expressed here are my own following my first-hand experiences with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inateck Superspeed 4 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expansion Card, 17 Jan 2014
Antoine Camilleri - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Inateck Superspeed 4 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expansion Card - Interface USB 3.0 4-Port Express Card Desktop with 15 pin SATA Power Connector, [ Include with A 4pin to 2x15pin Cable + A 15pin to 2x 15pin SATA Y-Cable ] (Accessory)
Having gone through some reviews, I was cautious that the Inateck would have compatibility issues with my external WD drives. So once mounted I immediately connected my 3 WD external drives, including the latest 2TB My Passport Ultra, and am pleased to report that I have no problems whatsoever.

Installing the card is very easy, and no force is needed to secure it in place. The bundled accessories come in very handy, as the USB card needs to be powered via the included cable in order to function. A set of mounting screws are also included for those with older style cases.

The comprehensive English only, (I hate going through a manual with a zillion languages) well laid out colour user guide should be read prior to proceeding with the installation.
It specifically mentions "Please make sure the hardware is installed before installing the driver". The mentioned driver is on an included CD.

Supported systems are Windows XP/Vista/7/8 (32&64 bit)

My Windows 7 64bit recognised and installed the corresponding drivers in a jiffy.

I have had no problems whatsoever with this USB3 card, and definitely give it the thumbs up. Great buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, absolutely perfect, 26 Oct 2014
Length:: 3:37 Mins

So a while ago, I unboxed and installed the Inateck USB 3 0 PCI E Card, and it's been really awesome ever since. So come and watch this review of the Inateck USB 3.0 PCI-E Card, and I hope you'll enjoy it.

The video is available on my youtube channel, along with many more videos about this product and other products, as well as tech in general, so come check me out at youtube.com/JoeRichardsonYT

5.0 out of 5 stars Great speed improvements over USB2.0 and easy to install., 21 Dec 2014
This products was easy to fit as it comes with power connectors so no need to order anything else. The CD had the latest manual, as on their website and I just chose to download the latest drivers but the ones on the disk would probably have been fine.
I've only tried some hard drive speed tests to my ATA drive and although faster than USB2.0 it settled to around 60MBps rather than around 37MBps on USB2.0, which doesn't seem impressive but it could be the ATA drive and I need another external hard drive to try USB3 to USB3 drive transfers. The transfers to the ATA drive started at over 230MBps on USB3.0 so looked like they had great promise - so not sure if that was cache that supported the initial peak but clearly this product supports much higher speeds. Copying to and from the same USB 3.0 drive also maintained 50MBps. This was reading and writing the data over the same USB3.0 - which I think is to be expected as reads and writes are over separate wires in USB3.0. The theoretical speed of USB3.0 is 5Gbps so much higher and the hard drives are probably the limiting factor. So very impressed by the product and it's ease of installation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great speed, build quality and overall performance!, 28 Oct 2014
I was always lacking additional USB 3.0 ports on my Alienware Aurora stationary PC and found myself adding external USB Hubs. Since I prefer a very clean setup this Inateck Expansion Card seemed like the perfect accessory!

All you need is a free slot in your case as well as an PCI-E expansion slot on your motherboard. Installation is very easy and fast. Just open your case, insert the Expansion Card, connect the wires and boot up your system. Windows 8 immediately recognized the new hardware and there was no additional driver installation needed. I would always choose a powered expansion card (like this one) over a non-powered one since some USB devices require extra power.

The speed is exactly the same compared to the USB 3.0 ports on my motherboard. So far all my USB devices were recognized without any problems. Thanks to this expansion card I was able to get rid of an external USB Hub and clean up my setup. Big thanks to Inateck for providing this Expansion Card for review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to fit and a significant performance improvement, 4 Dec 2014
This expansion card was very easy to fit in my computer, although I had to use quite a lot of force to push the Molex connectors together. Having done that I downloaded the driver from Inatak's website, installed it and switched the computer off and on. To my surprise everything worked! I compared the file transfer speed to an external USB3 drive using either the new USB3 connector or an existing USB2 connector.
1) A folder with 391 files in 44 folders, size 4 GB, took 2m23s compared with 4m50s with my USB2
2) A 1.2GB video file took 20sec, compared with 1m16sec with my USB2.
Not earth shattering, perhaps, but this is fine for me. I can now do backups a lot faster, and I can also play videos directly from the USB3 drive without any stuttering. So, for me it's an excellent investment and I have decided that I do not need install an additional internal drive, as I'll get all I want by connecting an external USB3 drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars easy and worthwhile, 27 July 2014
Robert Quinn "muscleuk" (Glasgow,Scotland,uk) - See all my reviews
took all of about 2 minutes to attach the supplied power cable, slide card into its mounting slot attach power cable to card,then screw panel back on pc tower and it works straight away(oops after loading the enclosed driver cd)simple, a very cheap,easy and worthwhile upgrade

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent product, 26 Sep 2013
Excellent product fully recommend it and the supplier. It came complete with drivers and all the necessary cabling unlike some products. Up and running within the half hour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 12 Aug 2013
I'd previously bought a different 2 port USB 3.0 PCI-E card for my 2010 Mac Pro and had to return it as it needed molex power and didn't come with any cables.
This one has all the cables you need. As a previous review has stated, this card is natively recognised by Max OS X 10.8.4 and if you cut a little bit of plastic off the supplied SATA power cable it plugs straight into the Bay 4 SATA power line.

Not done much testing, but it whizzed through a Time Machine backup to a USB 3.0 drive and copied a 1GB folder in under 10 seconds. Looking forward to speedy transfers of photographs once a USB 3.0 card reader arrives.

A great upgrade for the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Installed a treat, 12 Aug 2013
I bought this card as a replacement for a Xenta card which crashed my PC.
The card comes with very clear instruction manual and full size CD with drivers, plus Sata cable splitter and Molex to SATA splitter (and screws).
Very easy to install but I have installed many cards in my time.
Once the card was fitted I rebooted Windows (7) and it found the card but not the driver.
Ran the driver CD and the driver installed flawlessly.

Attached my new USB 3.0 dive and it found it straight away.
Speed has increased for data transfer so that's working fine.

Spec says it also works with Windows 8.

I am very pleased I purchased this product.