4.0 out of 5 stars The Summer I Became A Nerd
I was looking for a nice, light summery book to read and this one happened to catch my eye. And I ended up loving it!
I loved that this was such a geeky book. It was making me want to go and buy tonnes of comics and spend hours playing video games. But I was too hooked into the story to do all of that.

So our main character Madelyne is popular. But she's a...
Published 14 months ago by Samantha (The Secret Life of a...

2.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but not the best of its kind
I bought The Summer I Became a Nerd as a fun and easy summer read, having liked Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell and Geek Girl by Holly Smale.
While it was pretty fun, there were some key elements that just made it really lacking for me.

Published 1 month ago by Tales and Tails

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The Summer I Became A Nerd, 23 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Summer I Became a Nerd (Kindle Edition)

So our main character Madelyne is popular. But she's a massive geek at heart. She hides all of this because she thinks her friends will outcast her for being geeky. At first, I was pretty annoyed with Madelyne for hiding this part of her and pretending to be someone else. I gradually started to understand why she did it, but I was still annoyed at her for not being true to herself. It meant she was constantly lying to her friends and watching her back so that she didn't get caught. But I actually did like her. She was such a brilliant character.

And then Logan walks into her world. Logan is everything Madelyne wishes she could be. He's a geek and he doesn't care what other people think. He's sweet, funny, charming and extremely geeky (which I loved so much!). His family owns a comic book store where he works and it's also where he and Maddie have their first encounter.

I loved Maddie and Logan together. He brought out the best in her and made her more herself. He gradually got her to come out of her shell and embrace her inner geek. I loved seeing when they were out together LARPing or hanging around at the comic book store. They were just so perfect.

So Logan's best friend (who's name has slipped my mind right now, but I'm pretty sure it begins with a D) was awesome too! He was hilarious! He had some good advice for Maddie and he helped her along the way.

This was such an adorable read. I was smiling and laughing most of the way through this book (although the laughing had to be kept to a minimum since I was up until 2am reading it). But I just couldn't get enough of this book or the characters. It was so cute!
If you're looking for a light, summer read then this is definitely a book I recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but not the best of its kind, 26 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Summer I Became a Nerd (Kindle Edition)

First, the nerdiness: I don't know that much about comics, but I felt that the whole nerdy thing was just kind of fake. (Though the LARPing was fun.) So, if you're looking for something nerdy, then look elsewhere.
Secondly, the romance. I really wanted to like Logan, but I just couldn't. Every time Maddie saw him she went on about how 'cute' and 'dorky' he was. He was not a well-rounded character; I felt like his main character trait was being a dork. Every he started to come to life for me, he said something 'totally adorkable' and the whole thing just broke apart. What I was expecting was something more along the lines of Fangirl, or Skin Deep, or Geek Girl, but this was just...no.
Thirdly, the storyline and characters. Maddie was okay as a narrator, but it seemed half the other characters (her brother, Ro, Logan's friend, Dan, Logan's mum) were there just to help Maddie along.

Altogether, it was a nice read, and I'll be looking out for Leah Rae Miller in the future, but there are some flaws that just let it down. Other books that I would suggest are any of those that I have mentioned, as well as Eleanor & Park.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute and fun, 3 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Summer I Became a Nerd (Kindle Edition)
As soon as I saw this pop up on a friends TBR on Goodreads I *had* to have it! Nerd, comics, sci-fi, conventions, adorkable hunks, like hello my dream life! My life is pretty much as listed above except for the absence of the adorkable geeky boy...sigh one day!!

Our heroine is Maddie, the quintessential popular girl in high school. Cheerleader, dating the quarterback, knows the dance moves to all the hip songs and is seen in all the right places...except she's also a huge geek about comic books, sci-fi and all the other delicious things we nerds love! An incident when she was 12 where she was made fun of her nerd loving ways has made her wary of sharing her secret love and she's built up walls separating Maddie the cheerleader and Maddie the Nerd. Hence her double life. When her favourite comic book's latest release isn't delivered to her house, she must venture into nerd heaven, the local comic store, a place she's only dreamed of visiting and face cute adorable Logan, who she's harboured a crush on for months.

The story is really a lot of fun and there's some amazing scenes including LARPing which I really want to do now and some great comic book conversations that were right up my street. Maddie is really likeable but at times it did frustrate me how unwilling she was to embrace her nerdy ways as it meant relationships with friends and family were constantly under strain with her lies about who she's with and where she is especially considering the people she's so afraid of judging her like her boyfriend and best friend never say anything bad about comics etc.

Her friendship and burgeoning relationship with Logan was without a doubt the high point of the book! He was so sweet and butterfly inducing in every scene and I wanted to squee at every moment! There's one scene where he dedicates his show to Maddie that was so sweet I was like a puddle of swoony goo! All the secondary characters were well realised and fun to get to know especially Logan's family and Maddie's dad and a special shout out to Logan's bff Dan who is simply hilarious!

The message about being true to yourself and facing your fears comes through clearly and reminds you that whether you're in high school or not, the only self that can truly make you happy is yours.

The Summer I became a Nerd is a short, sweet, fun read ideal for summer and guaranteed to put you into a good mood!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular!, 31 May 2014
This review is from: The Summer I Became a Nerd (Kindle Edition)
This book had me immersed from the get go and did not disappoint! Maddie, Logan, Terra and Dan all show you that being true to yourself is of utmost importance and key to true happiness. They also show the reader that even if you like things that aren't seen as popular (in this case comics and LARPing) those that are your true friends will stick by you.
I devoured this book and highly recommend to all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Summer I Became a Nerd (Kindle Edition)
This is an amazing book. It is really good and I am recommending this to my friends! Just read this book. It's a great wee book for teens. Well worth reading it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Summer I Became a Nerd (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book so much it was amazing I couldn't put it down
Definitely worth four star : )

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than I expected, 21 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Summer I Became a Nerd (Kindle Edition)
This book was cheap and looked a bit different so I bought it but when I decided to read it, I wasn't so sure. Thankfully it was better than I expected. There were times when I wanted to shake the protagonist and tell her to stop being stupid, but that's quite a brave thing for an author to do. It was realistic and it was well written enough that I still felt sympathy and could understand her actions. Definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The summer I became a nerd, 19 Dec 2013
guernseydave (Guernsey, Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Summer I Became a Nerd (Kindle Edition)
This book is great, I couldn't stop reading it. The only problem is that Maddie, the main character, does a lot of waiting around which creates a lot of tension and a little frustration !! But defiantly get this you won't be able to put it down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute, 1 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Summer I Became a Nerd (Kindle Edition)
It was a simple, funny, sweet and just a real quick read and I thought it was cute. I enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars the summer i became a nerd, 2 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Summer I Became a Nerd (Kindle Edition)
this is a amazing book you will not be able to put it down. i recommend it to anyone interested in chick lit or romance.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›