Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.74

on 31 October 2005
For anyone who has or has dreamed of cycling in Ireland, this is the book for you. It shows that you don't have to be super fit; if two OAPs can do it so can you. The book gives a good flavour of the Irish people, its landscape and history before the Celtic Tiger was unleashed. If you've ever thought about cyling in Ireland, go now before it's too late, because very soon it will be just like everywhere else! If you can't or wont cycle, sit in your armchair and live it through the adventures of Eric and Wanda Newby who made the trip in the 1980's.
Unusually for Eric Newby there is little joy or celtic charm in this disappointing and, at times, positively turgid travelogue.
I can't help but concur with another reviewer's comment and add that Newby's occasional and unwelcome patronising comments (on the Irish and the inclement weather) might well result from a bad mood after quill dampening! Why the hapless reader should suffer from his ludicrous choice of travel time (touring Ireland by bike, in the winter, with sketchy preparation) is beyond me.
If you want a refreshing travelogue angle, and Ireland is your cup of Guinness, then try Tony Hawkes' 'Round Ireland with a Fridge' which is more original and wittier.
on 6 February 2014
This was not a Newby book I had read before - somehow I had missed it when I read his other stuff years ago. Some of the reviews written about it are I think too harsh. I found it a great read and packed with interesting bits of history plus of course the unique Newby view of life. Perhaps it was a bit contrived - rather as if he had some bills to pay and decided he needed to do something which could form the basis of a book. Going to Ireland on a push bike in the middle of winter certainly gave him things to write about but he never explained why they went in winter, leaving me to speculate he went so it would be horrible and thus present material for the book.

Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 14 February 2014
I adore Eric Newby's travel writing but this is not one of his best. It dragged a bit for me.
on 22 July 2015
I stopped reading this book, I found it very tiresome.
There was far too much content relating to history and religion for me and not enough experience of the journey.

I was very disappointed as I enjoy holidaying in Ireland and hoped this book would transport me there. As a cyclist there was also very little technical cycling reference material.
on 23 September 2014
Why the author and his wife chose to cycle around Ireland in such atrocious weather is a mystery to me. Surely spring or summer would have been a better option. His history knowledge of Ireland is impressive.
on 25 July 2014
If Newby isn't the finest travel writer of all time, I'd like to know who is. Wonderful book, full of life and humour.
on 10 January 2016
It was an appreciated present.
on 19 August 2014