5.0 out of 5 stars The Bank Re-opens for Business, 10 April 2013
Amazon Customer "Boo62" (Ilkeston Derbyshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Apollo (MP3 Download)
I have to admit that I was somewhat underwhelmed by the 2011 release of 'Songs from the silk road' but news of the first new release from Mr.Marks in 7 years was still something to look forward to.

1. 'Lamentations' Opens slowly with Delerium/ Dead can dance style vocals by Zhenia Mahdi-Nau laid over a drifting ambient background.
2. Wimbletoot' A digeridoo wobbles away over tribal drums & slowly changing percussion and once the beat kicks in I am captivated for 8 minutes.
3. 'Eternal sunshine' takes us back to the heady days of Eye-Q with a simple insistant beat, quirky sound effects and a flanged trancey theme.
4. 'For such a time' Has slightly off-key ethnic vocals against an ambient background.
5. Appolon' Hefty left & right effects, some guitar & then off we go with an impossible to resist bhangra vibe that is offset against low key synth background.
6. 'Hu!' A North African style vocal is repeated endlessly over cheesy effects and rapid percussion. Then the woodwinds kick in and the whole 'souk' effect is complete and the sense of urgency pulls you in.
7. 'All sleeping' Nearly 10 minutes of ambient sounds to drift off to.
8. 'Oreia' We return to the Arabic sounds of track 6 with repetitive strings & heavy stereo effects set against vocals that burst in before sweeping to way out behind the mix.
9. 'Acquiescence' Zhenia is back and we are sent on our way with a return to the sounds we came in to the album with.

One or two tracks may not be played as often as the rest but that's just personal taste. 'Apollo' though see's Banco de Gaia return in very strong fashion.
This leans very heavily towards ambient but fear not as the strong ethnic influences that have always played such an important part in previous releases is are still very much on display here.
It's just that rather than, as so often previously, allowing tracks to become difficult to follow or enjoy these all have a strong musical theme and show a maturity that see's a rather more mellow whole.
Not going to please everyone I suppose but I love this album and it's hard not to be impressed by a 9 track collection that manages to contain a wide variety of influences, keep all bar the intro & outro sounding different and yet still hold onto an ambient theme throughout.
It's been a long wait but more than worth it. Easily recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 29 July 2013
Mr. P. Harvey "pjharve" (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apollo (Audio CD)
I'm so inpressed with this helping from Banco de gaia after a long wait for a new release, this album has proved the wait I love the way the tracks have been set out as the album flows along I must have played it 50 times by now and like all the banco albums will never get sick of it.
I would so recommend this album to anyone who is a fan

5.0 out of 5 stars RETURN OF THE MAESTRO, 12 April 2013
This review is from: Apollo (Audio CD)
FAREWELL FERENGISTAN was always going to be a tough act to follow, being amongst Toby Marks' best ever works, but despite the 7 year gap, APOLLO more than delivers.

There's WIMBLE TOOT's tremendous sense of fun and outrageously good sax solo, ETERNAL SUNSHINE's infectious four-to-the-floor beat, APOLLON's gorgeous textures, and it's all book-ended by two stunning vocal performances by Zhenia Mahdi, whose star should definitely rise based on these tracks.

But for me it's the ambient ALL SLEEPING that takes the cake. This must rank as one of Banco's highest points. Sublimely beautiful and heartfelt.

What has always distinguished Banco's music from so many others in this genre is his compositional skill, and his attention to detail and superb production value. There's not a note, sound or mix in here that hasn't been agonised over, to our eternal benefit.

My favourite album of 2013, so far, by far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb return by the Master!, 23 April 2013
This review is from: Apollo (MP3 Download)
I fell in love with Banco de Gaia at Glastonbury 15 years ago. His 'Last Train to Lhasa'; was one of those seminal albums that just take you away to another time and place. Suddenty after 7 years since his last album this came out and he played at our local venue Zu Studios. Great gig and loved getting back in to the Master. Tracks 1, 2 and 7 jumped out on first playing but there isn't a duff track to enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Hello Apollo, 7 May 2013
This review is from: Apollo (Audio CD)
I'm a big fan already and have over six of Mr.T Marks's albums and Apollo still shows off his incredible talents. Track.8, Oreia is my favorite track closely followed by Eternal Sunshine, Hu!, and Apollon as they are the more lively dancey tracks which I love. Then there are the more chill tracks All Sleeping, For Such A Time, Aquiescence and Lamentations. Wimble Toot has a wonderfully intense saxophone included with a combination of jazz improvisation and eastern flavour. Whether you are a newcomer or a long time fan you will not be disappointed if you are looking for the best electronica there is. Brilliant rhythms, captivating keyboards and hypnotic percussion. Looking forward to Banco's next album release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 13 May 2013
Frank D. B. Hudson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apollo (Audio CD)
Toby, always produces good stuff and this is no exception. I have all his CDs. This one has been some time in the making but has been well worth waiting for.

5.0 out of 5 stars just what I was waitin for .. long times allready ..., 17 May 2013
This review is from: Apollo (Audio CD)
after .. ' Magical Sounds ' .. and .. ' Songs from the Silkroad ' ... this is my third album from Banco de Gaia ... maybe I get me some more ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Good tunes, 29 Oct. 2014
A+

4.0 out of 5 stars Banco De Gaia, 10 May 2013
Mr. M. J. Wykeham (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apollo (Audio CD)
More great music from Banco, but falls just short of 100% because I get the feeling he is reusing too many old tracks, it still gets regular plays, but which disc am I listening to?

Apollo
Apollo by Banco De Gaia (Audio CD - 2013)