5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a fan of Black Noir!
Published on 7 Mar. 2013 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
not over the moon about this author.first time i have tried his books.
Published 1 month ago by georgr macfarlane

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a fan of Black Noir!, 7 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Last Orders (Gus Dury) (Kindle Edition)
I make no apologies for stating that I am a huge fan of Tony Black's work and, in particular, of the Gus Dury books. This was another great read. I can't help thinking that the Edinburgh Tourist people must be close to taking out a contract on Mr B's life given the honesty with which he portrays the city. To say that his hero has issues is an understatement. This is pwerful stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Gritty Noir, 26 Jan. 2013
K. Nixon (Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Orders (Gus Dury) (Kindle Edition)
In Last Orders Gus Drury, who's even more down and worn out than ever, makes a most welcome return. In this installment he's been engaged by Callum Urquhart, a minister, to find his 16 year old daughter. Although Gus has a bad feeling about the man he needs his money. Gus brings in two old friends to help - Fitz the Crime & nearly old flame, Amy. Gus, in his usual unusual way is soon on the girl's trail and finds out Urquhart hasn't been entirely straight with him...

For me the sign of a top-class writer is one who can tell a strong story with a minimum words and Tony Black does this yet again with Last Orders. The writing is by turn razor sharp, gritty and witty. The characters are very well drawn, the dialogue sparkles. Mr Black also creates a powerful sense of place in the Edinburgh back streets.

I particularly like Gus Drury whose past again resonates with the girl's situation. He's on death's door (again, I'm amazed & glad he's not buried yet) & he knows he could perhaps be much more than he is, but the great thing is Gus is comfortable with his lot in life. He doesn't struggle any more against fate, rather he embraces it.

Here's an example of the quality of writing:

"I'd flung my Crombie over the back of the couch the night before; as I retrieved it now I could see it was covered in all the dust and c*** that the hoover didn't reach. I needed a coat-brush. F*** it, I needed a hoover."

In previous reviews I've compared Tony's writing quality to that of Ian Rankin. I would do so again here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Short stories and Gus Dury, whats not to love?, 20 Nov. 2013
Liz Wilkins "Lizzy11268" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Thank you kindly to Mr Black and the publisher for the review copy.

An exciting anthology of crime fiction, featuring Edinburgh investigator Gus Dury.

I love Gus Dury. Some of my favourite reading experiences of the past came along with him and until I started reading this anthology I didnt realise quite how much I had missed that series..so I was one happy reader to find a whole bunch of tales in short story format - another of my favourite things.

Gus finds himself in varying situations here, all written with the usual wit and style that Mr Black brings to his crime fiction - it may be gritty "noir" in an almost perfect form but it is also compelling, authentic and addictive. Gus Dury as anti-hero is one of the best characters to be found in fiction - his absolute reluctance to get involved in anything followed by his absolute conviction in following it through once he DOES get sucked in, makes for some brilliant storytelling.

My favourite tales from this book? The first: Last Orders and also London Calling. But every one is a golden nugget of reading pleasure. I'm tempted to go back and re-read all the previous adventures. Enjoy!

Happy Reading Folks!

4.0 out of 5 stars Don;t give up the crime fiction, 8 Oct. 2013
I read an interview that quoted Tony Black as saying after the publication of his recent novel that he wished he had not written his previous novels. I have not read his new book but Last Orders prove he still has a lot to offer the crime genre and hopefully he will realise this and give us some more.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Real Character, 31 July 2013
Peter Carroll (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Orders (Gus Dury) (Kindle Edition)
I have now read two of these Gus Dury novellas and I have to say he is one of the least likely, and original, lead characters in crime fiction I've come across. Tony Black somehow manages to make this ex-journalist, turned PI and drunken loser, compelling and sympathetic.

In this tale, Dury's hired to find a Church of Scotland Minister's missing, teenage daughter; finding out some rather unpalatable truths on the way.

Black's prose is free-flowing and easy-to-read, gripping you and drawing you into the story with real skill. There's no fat on this but it's all the better for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT READ, 10 Jun. 2013
A. E. McLaughlin (Fife, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Orders (Gus Dury) (Kindle Edition)
A great read from start to finish. Love these crime books set in locations that are familiar to me. Have read all Tony Black's books and always look out for new books by this guy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great outing for Gus Dury, 12 May 2013
This review is from: Last Orders (Gus Dury) (Kindle Edition)
Another cracking read, Gus Dury still going (somehow) and investigating the seamy side of Edinburgh with the help of the usual suspects

4.0 out of 5 stars Gus is back, 15 April 2013
This review is from: Last Orders (Gus Dury) (Kindle Edition)
Another great short story featuring the grissly Gus Drury, a man you might not want to know but if the s*** ever hit the fan, a man you wished you did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gritty Gus!, 23 Feb. 2013
Paul D Brazill (Bydgoszcz, Poland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Orders (Gus Dury) (Kindle Edition)
Grumpy Gus reluctantly takes a case from an arrogant toff. The sort of person Dury loathes. As cantankerous as ever, Gus is like a rock making ripples and waves as he tracks dawn the man's errant, pregnant daughter in his interminable, inimitable manner. Another gritty corker from Tony Black.

4.0 out of 5 stars last orders, 21 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Last Orders (Gus Dury) (Kindle Edition)
I liked it as it is different from other crime thrillers,
also it was great actually knowing where the streets were.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›