4.0 out of 5 stars One of the better Bond films, ending is a bit weak though
Enjoyable film as usual excellent opening action sequence. Craig is good and adds the intensity that many like to the Bond role. (he's starting to look a bit older here though)
I do think the film could have been trimmed down a bit or tightened up sequence wise. After the opening there is a bit too much non Bond stuff going on for my tastes, I've no problems with a...
Published on 14 April 2013 by Mr Baz

2.0 out of 5 stars Making Widgets
Even an old-timer like me has to admit that Daniel Craig's Bond is the best--okay, one of the two best--ever, so it's a real pity that his stint looks increasingly likely to end up a wasted opportunity. 'Skyfall' IS better than the dire 'Quantum', but not by nearly enough. The requisitely exciting pre-credit sequence is workmanlike rather than original (echoes of 'Casino...
Published 2 months ago by Mike Brecher

5.0 out of 5 stars Ian Flemings Bond???, 5 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Skyfall [DVD] (DVD)
I took my son to the premier of this film,making it 3 out of 3 for Daniel Craig,now his favorite Bond.While I grew up through the 60's and 70' and enjoyed the original 007 as played by Sean Connery,the one of and vastly underrated performance by George Lazenby,the farce of Rodger Moore playing Simon Templar playing 007 and the mature performances of Timothy Dalton before arriving at last at the super smooth, super cool Pierce Brosnan,who brought 007 into the 21st century and put the ailing franchise firmly back on the world stage and definitely deserved better treatment by the directors and producers.Mr Brosnan should have had more than a measly 4 outings and deserved them but times move on and Daniel Craig is a worthy successor to Pierce Brosnan.as the new 007 in his 3rd outing he embodies everything Ian Flemming envisaged all those years ago.Charming and smart when needed.A cold cool calculated killer when M requires it and sometimes when she doesn't the new 007 faces his latest challenge with relentless skill and dogged determination against all odds.old familiar characters missing from Mr Craig's first 2 outings return to the fold.The stunts are amazing,at times downright jaw dropping.A brilliant plot that had everyone in the cinema on the edge of their seats.
BAFTA quite rightly awarded Skyfall Best British Made Film Of The Year,a first for a Bond Movie after 50 years.this is certainly not the end for Mr Craig but more than likely an opening for several more high class movies as 007 if he's up for the demanding challenge of continuing the high standards he himself has set.
Brilliant in every way.More please and soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars JB v JB - Better than QOS, not as good as Casino Royale, 3 Mar. 2013
O E J - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Skyfall [DVD] (DVD)
Yes, this is a review of the Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy - which I purchased from Amazon. It was played on a Sony PS3.

When Bond's latest assignment in Turkey goes gravely and spectacularly wrong and agents around the world are exposed, the MI6 HQ in London is attacked forcing M to relocate the agency underground to Churchill's WW2 operating centre. These events cause her authority and position to be challenged by Gareth Mallory (Ralph Fiennes), the new Chairman of the Intelligence and Security Committee. With MI6 now compromised from both inside and out, M is left with one ally she can trust: Bond. 007 takes to the shadows - aided only by field agent, Eve (Naomie Harris) - following a trail to the mysterious Silva (Javier Bardem), whose lethal and hidden motives have yet to reveal themselves.

Well, thankfully this is a complete change of direction, style and concept after the rather disappointing Quantum of Solace. I expected a good film with Sam Mendes at the helm and I got it; I must admit that it took a while to really pick up speed and in many ways Javier Bardem is the catalyst for rescuing something that was teetering on mediocrity before he appears halfway through, with (up until then) a rather wooden script and not-always-funny one-liners. But save it he did, and now looking back on it I can see that this Bond outing has something of a style all its own and could even be regarded as yet another 'clean-slate' re-start, something that I reckon the franchise needed after the previous film. This was a must-win match, and it has done that. There's a lot of high-quality action stunts (not least the 'death of 007') and it's only when I went through all the extras afterwards that I realised how much there was and what good value you get for your money. As a Blu-ray film it's well up to standard and seems to get better and better as it reaches its conclusion. The audio soundtrack is also worthy of a mention, although once again the second half of the film seems better than the first.

Although it's not exactly a criticism of the film, I was rather disappointed to see how much Daniel Craig seems to have aged since Casino Royale. He's got a bit baggy under the eyes and although he's still in excellent shape, he doesn't look quite as lethal in the hand-to-hand combat department. It could well be that Mendes wanted to make Bond look and feel more vulnerable; I would have preferred to have seen Bond (played by Daniel Craig) back in bulletproof nick as he appeared first time out seven years ago.

As a Bond film though this one hits the money and the best part of it, perhaps, is that it rarely feels recycled or old-hat. Despite the fact that this is the 23rd ('official') Bond film there is plenty to enjoy here and it's lengthy conclusion is pleasingly old-school with very little in the way of high-tech widgetry - indeed Sam Mendes said the denouement could have been filmed in 1962, complete with the iconic 60s Aston Martin. Action spans the globe as usual, starting off in Turkey, and after a spell in London we cross the planet to Shanghai and Macau before repatriating to the UK - including a memorable ending in Scotland.

The extras are lengthy and fullsome, with many of the best action sequences 'explained' with narratives by the director, leading actors and writers. There's definite value here, and of course this is one of the most obvious benefits of having the DVD/BD as opposed to seeing it at the cinema (which I did not do). Subtitle options include English, Spanish, Danish, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish and four or five others which to be honest I cannot translate. There is also the option to watch the film with a running commentary by Sam Mendes (in numerous languages), as well as by the producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson. Apart from English audio dts-HD Master Audio 5.1 there is another option for English Descriptive Audio 5.1; the film can also be listened to in French (although there are no French subtitles), as well as Spanish, Italian, and two other languages that again I cannot transalte with any certainty - the closest I can copy them here is PYCCKNN and YKPAIHCbKA. I haven't timed the length of the extras but they could well run for an hour.

In the end, although this film wouldn't be the same without Daniel Craig - he's the perfect contemporary Bond and he does a lot of the stunts himself - I think Javier Bardem as the baddie plays just as big a part in making it the success that it is and he's the ideal foil for a slightly vulnerable 007. There are plenty of 'wow' inducing stunts although the one described in the extras as the 'piece de resistance' - the underground train crash - was less than 100% convincing and I reckon quite a bit of it was edited out - I hate to think of the cost of this relative to screen time, which was barely 30 seconds.

There's no doubt in my mind though that this is a Blu-ray/DVD worth buying, it's certain to be seen more than once and it's suitable for anyone over the age of 12 I would say, in keeping with its certificate; obviously there's death on view but little or none of it is likely to disturb or shock, there is almost no nudity and what little sex I remember lasted about three seconds and was not graphic in any way. There are a few expletives, but little that is likely to offend.

Skyfall does have its weak points, as I have mentioned, but in spite of them the film still works and thanks in no small part to Bardem as the villain the finished product is quite memorable; ultimately it's not as exciting as Casino Royale but it's so different in style that comparisons are somewhat meaningless. I've only seen it the one time so far but I have a feeling that I'll like it more second and third time round.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great film but not a great Bond film, 26 Feb. 2013
Cheshire Cheese (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skyfall [DVD] (DVD)
Firstly I need to say that I'm a Bond fan through and through. If this wasn't a Bond film, it would be a top notch film. It has great action sequences, great characterisation, great dialogue and is beautifully filmed, even though the mood in general is low, with weak colour and depressively shot. As a Bond film though it is poor and I didn't like it at all.
Bond is about laid back escapism, humour and not taking itself too seriously - it's not meant to be real life. This film is not like this at all and doesn't follow the traditional Bond format; it doesn't travel round the world (the Chinese sequence and Island city seemed strangely out of place in a film mainly set in the UK and didn't really connect to the rest), it hasn't got the romantic interludes of a Bond film (the Bond girl again seemed out of place in this film with a very short sequence and then she disappears), it hasn't got the Bond signature theme running through the action sequences and the characters constantly hearing everything they all say through earpieces even half a world away seemed ridiculous. The film is far too deep and serious and frankly depressing; not just because of the ending (no spoiler in case you haven't seen it), but the way it is filmed, especially the Scottish sequences, with a lot of darkness, grey skies and low mood. Even the dialogue was depressing with no high points anywhere.
A lot of people do like this film though and if you like deep and meaningful, serious movies then you've got a hit. If you want traditional Bond though then this definitely isn't for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good. Very Good., 22 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Skyfall [DVD] (DVD)
If you find this review helpful ... please click the little "yes" box below.

My wife bought the DVD as soon as it came out, and we watched it the same evening as a family (with two daughters aged 14 and 15). Everybody enjoyed it ... which is quite an achievement. I won't bother going into the plot or the music because there are hundreds of other reviews that cover that, but I will mention four things that I particularly liked about Skyfall.

1. Although Skyfall is clearly an 'action' movie, it isn't just an action movie. The action supports the movie rather than defines it. There are several fantastical action sequences that require a complete suspension of belief, but, they enhance the movie. They are true Bond moments that seem to borrow from the old Sean Connery days of Bond movies.

2. In recent years it seems that movie makers have continually tried to reinvent how to shoot a movie; with strange angles, skewed horizons, rapid scene changes etc. It's annoying and a 'cheap' way of being different without actually applying any creativity. The scenes in Skyfall are beautifully framed and shot with a simplicity that is both charming and refreshing.

3. It's a family movie. By that I mean that the sex, violence and profanity are kept to a minimum. I don't object to any of those three elements in movie making - they're part of life and often enhance a scenes impact. But, it's nice to see that entertaining movies can be made without their excessive use. It is rated as a '12' and there is one instance of strong language, so it's worth noting that. But, this is really the profanity. Even the sexual innuendo that is typical of Bond movies is minimal.

4. The Aston Martin DB5 ... <sigh>

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 30 Oct. 2012
W. Rodick (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Skyfall [DVD] (DVD)
This is a movie for grown-ups. The screenplay and the direction had me mesmerised as a captive in the cinema. We were all so intimate with James Bond. The silences as dramatic as the chases over roof tops. These actors had to act.

The simile of the two rats meant we were in serious Bond territory here. From the old world of shadows without grief, to the new age of touch-screen decisions. Without grief. As an old man of fifty I understood the flaws. So does Danial Craig's James Bond. A superman without compassion. Nietzsche's shadow. It some how made the humour shine. Long gone are Ian Fleming's rich villains undeserving of life.

Skyfall is a top flight movie. Never mind comparisons with others in the franchise, I noted respectful glances at: The Usual Suspects, The Third Man, Citizen Kane, Gladiator before other Bond movies. And a whiff of Silence of the Lambs. See this movie in the cinema. I left as 007. Hands in pockets, ready for anything.

*****

19 February 2013. The dvd version of the movie has just been absorbed. Thunderous soundtrack of music, guns, bombs and crashes. Cinema sound at home blasts like no cinema I've ever visited! Subtitles I was looking forward to, especially what Bond says as he leaves a gambling house. Hope you note the Citizen Kane scene when the simile of the two rats is explained to Bond and ourselves. Very famous focus trick as one man approaches another who is close to the camera. Delicious Mendes.

Now the film is filed next to the other Danial Craig 007s. Do you mind if I fantasise about working on the screenplay for the new Bond film? People actually get paid for such a thrill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, completes my collection so far, 24 Dec. 2014
M. Fowler (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skyfall [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Great film, completes my collection so far, very techy content but still enjoyable. No so many corny but funny quips as the earlier films with Sean Connery and Roger Moore. The action is well done with brilliant sets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gritty script, fantastic actor's, GREAT story line!, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Skyfall [DVD] (DVD)
I honestly loved everything about SkyFall. it was well scripted, the storyline was great and it really managed to convey the new clashing with the old. Bond it bought into the 21st century kicking and screaming.

This is Bond as we've never known him, stripped of his charm, his charisma, his swagger, bravado and ego. This Bond is a man who is at rock bottom. To hell with Queen and Country he is tired, older and has simply had enough.

But an attack on MI6, on Queen and Country no less means of course our favourite agent comes back, dragging his feet because he is needed, he knows he is. He is part of the old regime now, having to find his way in the new one.

Bonds got his work cut out for him in SkyFall, he's fighting an enemy that will destroy his whole world if he isn't smart enough, quick enough, sharp enough.

He's not alone, a new MI6 brings new allies'. Old friends and new will stand with him as he try's to outsmart the bad guys and survive in a world that now consider's him nothing more than a dinosaur in the face of a brave new world.

SkyFall gives a great send off to some much loved actors and introduces some interesting new ones into the mix that is sure to shake up the films.

SkyFall is in a way a reset for the Bond franchise, a way to shake it up and propperly open the door's to more new, interesting stores for our favourite Agent.

All in all 10/10 from me :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this film and the City of London., 20 Mar. 2013
My review is on both the film Skyfall and the city of London.I had the good fortune to see this film in London England on the 50th anniversary . I have been a huge fan of the James bond film since I was a child. I waited all my life to visit this beautiful city I wasn't disappointed . I always wanted to visit the city after watching the Bond films .Casino Royale and Skyfall is by far is my favourite Daniel Craig films.This film the third in the series is Daniel's pinnacle bond film.The same for Connery's third film Goldfinger and Roger Moore's "the spy who loves me".Too bad Sam Mendes didn't sign up to do the next film .Hopefully they will find the right director to do the next one . They should ask Martin Campbell again or get J.J Abrams the director of Mission Impossible 3.

Up date : Sam Mendes is back to direct bond 24 release UK date October 23 2015.
Sony postponed filming for a year to get Sam to direct after he had made theatre commitments .A very smart move by the studio also returning Daniel Craig for the four time.Daniel signed up to do two more films before retiring from the Bond roll.
Good news for Bond fans around the world that Sony decided to wait for the best director (in my opinion) for Bond.
You can tell Sam really loves the Bond character by the way he directs.He has a great eye for detail and for keeping the action exciting
My name is "Bond,James Bond".

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent picture and sound quality. And Daniel Craig!, 27 Jan. 2015
A. S. Gilbert (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skyfall [DVD] (DVD)
I knew this film would be on TV eventually but watching it on DVD means you can pause it when you like. The picture quality is excellent as is the sound, the latter being rather poor at the cinema but perfectly OK on the DVD.

Just one thing to watch out for, the price quoted says it includes postage on orders over £10. My total Amazon order that day came to well over £10- but I was still charged postage for this item albeit not a lot. I didn't bother to chase this up but if it bothers you at least you know now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Bond film ever, 9 April 2013
Susan Rees "Sue" (Oz) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skyfall [DVD] (DVD)
At last we learn some of Bond's background.

The stark Scottish moors are a wonderful setting as we learn some of why Bond became the man he is. The early loss of his parents and the strange but close relationship between 'M' and 007 made for an interesting and complex blend of loyalty and devil-may-care attitude.

While most Bond movies begin with action sequences, and this one is seriously good too, it is unique in 'killing off' Bond. Of course, we know he can't be dead because it's the beginning of the movie (with Adele's wonderful song under very different opening credit animation). But I must say, I love the scene where the new 'Q' meets 007. Viewers who don't know the earlier Bond films will miss the many 'nods' to previous incarnations of Bond and the subtle humour. For me, Bond's line: "This is all I get--a gun and a radio?" is understated brilliance.

Fantastic performances from Judi Dench, Albert Finney, and of course, Javier Bardem. He is possibly the most interesting Bond villain and certainly the most clever--he knows Bond's moves before James himself does and his presence is like holding a dark mirror to Bond himself, two sides of the same coin.

And the Aston Martin is back in all its stylish splendour. This is a darker Bond film, deeper and more character driven and I loved it.