5.0 out of 5 stars Very robust, premium feel with unrivalled precision
£20 can be considered quite steep, but paying good money for a top phone and expecting a £3 phone case off ebay to solve all your problems doesn't make sense.

Why 5 stars:
Published 11 months ago by noorul farook

2.0 out of 5 stars not a perfect fit
Published 3 months ago by eturtle

5.0 out of 5 stars Very robust, premium feel with unrivalled precision, 8 May 2014

Why 5 stars:
Precision. This case fits like no other - you'll find no give or creaks in the build. No tolerances or cracks for dust to collect. The buttons have perfect clarity and feedback - there is no rubbery gap, it's truly made to match the price tag

Visual Appeal:
For a case that can take a good beating, it has a simple, rugged look without being too brutish.

Premium material and excellent build quality:
No sloppy mass production techniques i.e. excess material/mould residue on the inner surface means no chance of "internal scratching" as there can be with other cases. On it's own, the case is sturdy and very well finished.

Feel:
The texture on the back and the case's profile provides a great feel of premium quality, befitting the calibre of this phone. I believe it matches the aesthetic of the Z1 compact, in that it doesn't try to be the thinnest/lightest/shiniest out there; rather, it aims to look and feel good. The grip gives the phone a solid and secure feel, as well as sit comfortably in your hand however you hold it. I was afraid it would defeat the point of buying the Z1 Compact for my average sized hands, but it actually makes things easier!

Unfortunately, I drop my phone way more than I'd care to mention and after a month, I'm glad I shelled out for this case. For those interested in a screen protector, there's a fantastic oleophobic full-body screen protector by UltimateShield, (with back and side protection) for about £8. Combined with this tough case, I think it's money well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits really well, 15 Jun. 2014
This is the 3rd case I've bought for this phone, 3rd time lucky I suppose. I wanted a case that didn't require me to fully open it to charge etc, as that is the annoyance with the flip open kind. Also I like to use my phone as a camera. This case is perfect, it fits my phone really well and I have no problem with the buttons, as was previously mentioned, in fact the case makes it easier to use the buttons. It's light but tough, so not worried about dropping it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant product!!!, 11 April 2013
This review is from: Case-Mate Tough Cases for Sony Xperia Z - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Great case for phone! It is rare to find case that actually fit phones properly these days without hindering its use however this case fits brilliantly and does not impede any phone functions, or ability to open any of the frequently used ports. Couldn't have asked for a better case and well worth the money in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 out of 10, 23 Mar. 2014
This is by far the best cover for my z1 compact (i've bought 3 others before i saw this one). The cover fits perfectly- feels and looks great- i would highly recomend this case- one very happy customer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits like a glove, 2 Aug. 2014
I've used a couple of Case-Mate Tough cases for smartphones over the years and I have never had a problem (like I have with cheaper products or an Otterbox for a Galaxy S3). This fits like a glove and provides the protection that I have come to expect from the brand.

The patterned rear provides a bit of grip, the inner silicone rim that goes around the phone inside the harder shell gives me the impression that it will help ensure that my phone is provided with adequate protection. There aren't any drawbacks that I can see for me as a user but be aware that the magnetic charger point on the side is covered and I believe that you would not be able to charge this way with this case so it might not be suitable for you....

I would definitely recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and does the job!, 8 Feb. 2015
Very good fit, and feels good quality. I have dropped my phone already and I can't find any damage to the phone or the case so I am very pleased. I was worried how the cut out side would look as it looks quite odd in the photos but you don't notice it.

2.0 out of 5 stars not a perfect fit, 26 Jan. 2015
Nearly great - left the ports and recharging dock free - but sadly the top left corner wouldn't fit snugly around the edge of the phone, rather the phone stood slightly proud of the case. So that corner would pop out from the case very easily (e.g. if dropped!) and it meant the rear of the cover didn't sit tight to the phone but left a small gap where dust would accumulate. Going back unfortunately. Btw this is for the z3 compact - some reviews here are for other models.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 15 Mar. 2013
Works perfectly with my Xperia Z. Nice quality and tactile. DO note that your phone speakers will not really work after being covered up but then this phone's speaks do not do justice to the sound quality anyway so use headphones. Enjoy

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Case - not cheap but worth it., 5 Jun. 2014
The case looks great & fits the phone perfectly, no problems with fit over screen protectors or access to the charging, headphone or sports strap ports.
Its very well made, rugged, fits together very snugly & should have no problems with repeated removal & refitting for access to sim/SD Card ports.
The hard button covers for the power & volume are a fantastic feature & almost as easy to feel & use as the phones original buttons.

Things to note:
-the rubber surround above the charging port is unsupported & rubs against the phone marking the plastic between the screen & the port, this happened over a short period of time so its most likely down to the soft plastic on the phone.
-The lower edge of the charging port surround rests over the sim card cover so any light droppages with exert pressure on this port bending it out of shape slightly, always check this before submerging in water as it may affect the seal.

The case has been well thought out, it is not just a matter of poor design, any changes to the case would probably make access to the charging port annoying or make the case less aesthetically pleasing, but if they could have found a way to make the hard plastic shell surround the charging port over the soft rubber that could possibly resolve both of the notes above.

Screen protector while effective was the most difficult one i have had to install to date, although there always a pain in the neck to apply, i suppose that means I should hoover & dust more!

I've used gel covers in the past & they have been great, & usually under £5 for that & a screen protector, is this worth the difference? Yes... but only just.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Case, 4 Oct. 2014
Christian Edwards (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great case. For me it provides the grip in my hand that I want. I've seen so many people drop their phone because they are so smooth and slippery. The ony down side is that it doesn't have a hole in it for the magnetic charging dock only the plug in one, so I cut my own out with a hot knife - not at all easy but I managed it.

Case-Mate Tough Cases for Sony Xperia Z - Black