5.0 out of 5 stars Heart-warming, full of fun - a must for all J. Oke fans
Published on 13 Feb 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story
I enjoy the once upon a summer book it's real escapism with some good biblical truths thrown in that takes you back in time
Published 1 month ago by rebecca rowell

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart-warming, full of fun - a must for all J. Oke fans, 13 Feb 2001
By A Customer
"Once upon a Summer" is a delightful Jeanette Oke book. In Josh she has created a loveable, true to life character. The plot gripped me from the start and made me want to read the rest of the "Season of the Heart" series. Some scenes made me chuckle and others I found really touching. The moral tone of her books are truly Christian which I appreciated. I am looking forward to reading many more of her books.

5.0 out of 5 stars once upon a summer, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: Once Upon a Summer (Seasons of the Heart Book #1) (Kindle Edition)
a nice easy novel, I felt I was part of the story, I hope to read more of her books

5.0 out of 5 stars Once Upon a summer (seasons of the Heart by janette oke, 28 Jun 2014
I love the book it is a good read I would like to recommend it to people to read it

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story, 22 Jun 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars captivating, 17 Jun 2014
Some incredibly deep and reassuring truths woven into a heart-warming and captivating story. God's acceptance of us all as his imperfect and yet beloved and precious children is beautifully related.

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 11 Jun 2014
This was delightfully refreshing. It is full of good old fashioned values and warms the heart. I could read more of this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tender and heart warming, 12 May 2014
Yes what a wonderful read . Certainly a page Turner as I didn't want to put this book down . Humble and down to earth I found the read refreshing

4.0 out of 5 stars Seasons of the Heart book 1, 12 May 2014
I was delighted to find this free for my Kindle, as I remembered enjoying it many years ago when I first read it. The story is told by the young teenage Josh who was orphaned at a young age, and lives on a farm with his grandfather, great-uncle, and Aunt Lou. Lou is only a few years older than he is, but runs the kitchen and household effectively, while Josh combines a zest for life with a great deal of hard work, both at school and on the farm where he has a lot of daily chores.

The arrival of Josh's great-grandfather shakes things up a bit, as does his grandfather's determination to find a suitable young man for Lou.

The book is a well-drawn picture of life in a bygone era in the US, with a surprising amount of human interest. I found tears welling up more than once as I read. There's some rather overt Christian content at the end which might irritate some readers, but it's not over-the-top, and in the context of the story is relevant and believable.

All in all, I enjoyed it. Suitable for teens or older children as well as adults.

4.0 out of 5 stars A light read, 18 April 2014
I'm not sure if this book is written for children or adults. The main character is a child and the story is seen through his eyes. The family is the book has Christian values. It's a nice book, easy to read, personally I prefer books with more depth and more challenges.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 5 April 2014
Beautifully written with loveable characters. Subtle and realistic examples of a young mans developing faith and how an older family member can influence it. Looking forward to read the rest of the series