5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic read from Riordan
Published on 16 Feb 2011 by 13thDuke

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Percy Jackson by far!
I got seduced into looking at this trilogy series while waiting to decide if Heroes of Olympus was going to be any good but then I saw that Rick Riordan had written The Kane Chronicles and the reviews seemed good, so I decided to order them from my local library.

Published 16 months ago by rueyclem

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic read from Riordan, 16 Feb 2011
If you loved Percy Jackson, I'm sure you will like this. Set in seemingly the same world as Percy is (there is a reference to different gods living on the other side of the river) this is the story of Sadie and Carter - brother and sister - who come to realise they are not just ordinary children, but are part of the ancient civilisation of Egypt - gods, magicians and all!

Once again, there are thrills and spills, plot twists and lots of "he's the bad guy, no wait, HE'S the bad guy!". I had just come from reading one of my favourite sci-fi novels Dune and was thinking that a "kids" book would be a bit of a come down. Whilst not having the character depth and philosophy, it is nonetheless and great read for all ages. It has a touch of the Indiana Jones about it, whilst maintaining an originality that is rather rare in books nowadays.

Don't make the mistake of thinking it's a book for kids, and don't be put off by the film of Percy Jackson. If you read this, you are in for a real treat!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Clever Mythological Fantasy! I Loved This Book!, 7 Aug 2010
Like the Percy Jackson books, this book contains funny punch lines, breath taking action and nail biting thrills. Rick Riordan has been extremly clever with everything in the first book of the Kane Chronicals. I didn't fancy the two characters swaping round to tell the story when I first heard about it but when I read it, I thought it suited this book amazingly well and the comments made in the brackets are full of humour when either Carter speaks to Sadie or Sadie speaks to Carter.
I don't want to give to much away but I can recall at the least five different twists at the end of the story. By the end of the story, the siblings have different views on eachother and their personality changes an awful lot. The fact that the whole story is recorded on a tape recoder and that somebody types it out is really quite remarkable.
I think that it was a very sensible move to change from greek to egyptian as it would be the same basic story. Percy Jackson is Greek gods, some good, some bad. If it stayed with the greek mythology, it would be Greek gods, some good, some bad. I totally disaggre with some of the comments made by other readers that it was stupid to change the origin of the story. I should mention a mistake on the last chapter of the book as when Carter ends, Sadie is written at the top (so don't get confused because carter is ending). I will be having a very important chat to the publisher about this mistake!
The simplified verdict is that it is simply fantastic and I can't recall any faults what so ever. I'm not into fantasy that much, more of horror, so coming from me you will now know that this book is a Riordan master piece!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Percy Jackson by far!, 22 Jun 2013

Thank goodness I decided to do this, as I would have been very disappointed had I bought them, I have nearly finished the first book, and I have to say, not a patch on Percy Jackson, the Egyptian theme is certainly not as strong as the Greek Gods (which is where Rick Riordan's strengths lie).

The idea of a transcript is a really confusing idea, does not work for me, and the fact that it switches between the two lead characters (who are a mixed bag themselves), the idea for the book as well, did not strike me as very well planned out either.

I have got the third book from the library and am awaiting the second book, but I don't think that these books are going to be a keeper for me, I am finding them not entertaining enough, a bit too formulaic, and quite frankly, not interesting enough compared to the original Percy Jackson series.

I can understand that Rick Riordan probably wanted to branch out into a different genre rather than the Greek Gods but he should stick to what he knows best, and can make interesting, funny and page-turning, rather than this trilogy which is confusing, not funny, and frankly odd at times throughout the book (and that is just the first one).

I am going to try the other books, but I am not expecting much from them.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!!!!!!!!!!, 14 Feb 2011
I found the red pyramid a very enjoyable read. It was very good and very imaginative. I liked the way that it was being recorded on a tape recorder, and that it swapped between the 2 characters. Overall, I think it was an amazing book and I would definitley reccomend it. 5 stars!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great beginning, 9 Feb 2011
Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Carter and Sadie Kane have their world turned upside down in one night. They are siblings raised apart. Carter was raised while travelling the world with their father, an Egyptologist. Sadie was raised with their maternal grandparents in London England. On one of the two days a year they are allowed to spend together, instantly their lives are changed forever. On that fateful night the Egyptian God, Set, and his siblings are released from their long entrapment. Set traps their father and they must find a way to free him.

Exploring a slew of Egyptian myths and legends, the story is a history lesson wrapped in a thrilling adventure that spans time and continents. In a world where Egyptian magic still exists, and all the old legends have more truth than just myths, it is superbly written and intensely addictive; this story is amazing and leaves you desperate for book two.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic adventure story for avid young readers, 3 Nov 2010
CDA (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
Bought this book for my 10 year old bookworm of a son, he has devoured all the Percy Jackson stories and is a keen Rick Riordan fan so I knew he would enjoy this. I was right - he has just written a book review of it for his homework and described it as the best book he's ever read!!!

I can't give a synopsis of it as I haven't read it myself, but apparently it is to do with Egyptian gods and myths (whereas Percy Jackson was based on the Greek gods) and is very exciting - my son couldn't put it down, and said every page was thrilling!

4.0 out of 5 stars Time for a new series.., 28 Aug 2010
Michelle Moore (Dartford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Rick Riordan is best known for his Percy Jackson series, where Greek gods meet the modern world. In this new series, he's turned his attention to the Egyptian gods, and some of the mythology surrounding them.

My concern was that The Red Pyramid would offer the same formula as before, but with a different set of gods, but Rick has managed to avoid that.

For a start, there are two main characters telling the story, Sadie and Carter. They are brother and sister, but have been brought up separately. The story is told by both of them, and presented as a transcript of a discovered tape.

They are brought together when their father is captured, and the ancient gods are released. They quickly have to learn about their past, their abilities and their responsibilities, aided by some interesting characters.

Rick still presents the same blend - the main characters develop and grow, dealing with the usual modern problems, including getting to know each other. But at the same time, we are given an adventure story, and lots of Egyptian mythology.

The gods are presented differently this time - rather than watching over and not interfering, these are both good and bad, and looking to destroy!

My only real criticism is that it felt a little too long. I understand that this is to be a trilogy, but it may have better spread over more books. In some parts it's quite complex, and some parts felt as if they could have waited until a later book.

I do also think that the main characters act older than there supposed age, but this is something I also felt of the Percy Jackson series.

I would suggest that this series would probably suit a slightly older age group than Percy Jackson, mainly due to the length of the book and the complexity.

The likeable characters are there, the humour is there, the mythology is there, and so is the adventure. That overcomes the criticisms, and makes it a recommended fantasy adventure book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 11 May 2010
I cannot thank this man enough for getting my son reading. He devoured the Percy Jackson series in about two weeks (having never read a full length novel before!) he then worked his way through the 39 Clues - waiting for the postman to come with the next book! Now he is LOVING this one. I have never seen him so excited about a book - he has chosen to read instead of playing video games or using the computer. Frankly there can be no higher praise than that. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expectations?, 20 Oct 2010
A Kid's Review
I had read the Percy Jackson series also written by Rick Riordan and I was wondering if he was going to write a book as good as the Percy Jackson series. But believe me I was really surprised when I started reading the book because the book is really good. I reccommend you do too if you like a good adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Kane Chronicles: The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan, 14 May 2014
This book was very hard to put down, the books by the myth genius Rick Riordan are the greatest books i have read, the stories he writes grip me and wont let go. I admit there was less action compared to the "Heroes of Olympus" stories, but it made up for it in great story, characters and writing style. Unlike the "heroes of Olympus" and "Percy Jackson" series, The Kane Chronicles are based on Egyptian mythology, which are entirely new to me, but it made sure to allow even people oblivious to Egyptian myths to follow and enjoy the story easily! Highly recommended for you myth fans, I'm extremely excited to continue the series!