on 22 June 2014
Powerful gaming PC - CSL Speed 4718uPro (Core i7) incl. Windows 7 (by CSL-Computer, Germany)

Spec:

Intel Core i7-4790 (4x 3600 MHz)
1 GB SATA HDD
16GB DDR3 RAM (x2 * GB modules)
MSI Mainboard
GeForce GT 630 (4096 MB video RAM)
USB 3.0
WLAN (installed on PC, but not reviewed here as not required)
WIN 7 PRO

Ordered Tueday - got an email on Thursday saying that there would be a 10-18 day wait for delivery. It was actually delivered the next day (Friday) !!!

PC reasonably well packed - a Large(ish) sturdy cardboard box contains another (slightly smaller) strudy cardboard. The PC itself is covered in a plastic bag and surrounded by two-piece moulded polystyrene packing sections.

A molded UK plug and 'kettle' type lead is provided, in addition to the standard German 'Schuko' type plug and lead (it is a German supplier, don't forget !).

A small anti-static bag contains the driver disks for the individual hardware components within the PC (Motherboard, Graphics
cards, Operating system, etc). Also within this bag is a smaller wrapped package (approx 3 inches long) containing the two
wireless card antennae (my PC came with this card installed as a standard fit) - be careful that you don't lose these or discard with the packaging !

First impressions: The whole PC is very light and you have a passing thought that something is missing ! Some previous comments about the 'fit' of the rear panel (making the USB 3 ports unuseable) was valid in my case - in the end, I loosened two screws holding the motherboard and used a small instrument screwdriver to 'adjust' the metal surround around the ports until I could get a USB device to fit (any device does the job). I then retightened (but not too tight) the two motherboard screws and all is now well. A minor irritation, but surely should be picked up as part of the suppliers Quality Control (hence I'm giving 4 out of 5 stars) ?

Where a seperate graphics card has been installed such as this review machine, the supplier has helpfully put a large sticker over the on-board graphics port blocking it off and reminding the user that connection is to be made through the card ports (of which there was x1 VGA, x1 DVI and x1 HDMI - the HDMI port being the one that I connected to my to my 50 inch Samsung plasma for testing).

As has been described earlier, the initial 'boot-up' is in German and takes several minutes whilst the drivers are loaded, etc (all notifications are mainly still in German (with the odd English message thrown in for good measure !). Don't panic !

After several minutes, the Microsoft Windows initialisation sequence starts and this is where you change the language (and
keyboard) settings to English UK (or whatever your desired language is):

WARNING:
The Microsoft dialogue boxes also warn you of this icircumstance, but 'll reiterate that you MUST take care chosing the correct language settings at this point, as these CANNOT be changed at a later time !!

Just take your time doing this and all will be well (selection of English (UK) changed the default setting from German to
English (UK) with no dramas at all) !

The next signifcant point is to 'activate' the MS Windows product (mine was WIN 7 PRO) - on this review machine, there is a sticker on the side panel of the computer containing the licence number.
NOTE: I found it very difficult to read the digits on the sticker, as they're pretty small. However, take your time, read them correctly, enter the digits and all will be well again !

After this, the computer will eventually boot to the Desktop - just expect a whole raft of updates to be required, before you use the PC !

CONCLUSION:
I have only carried out the activation and intial boot-up of my PC as I've just ordered a Solid State Drive (SSD) and mounting kit
(also contains a Cloning software suite so that you can make the SSD a 'bootable' device).
With the PC "as is", so far so good. It's reasonably well specified for my requirements (office work with the odd bit of MS
Flightsim) and I will be loading MS Office 2010 once my SSD has arrived. I was extremely pleased with the price of this PC (hence the prime reason for my purchase!).

For interest, this is the subsequent SSD and adaptor kit that I have ordered - I'll update once it's installed and configured.

(1) OCZ OCZSSDUPGDKIT1 Solid State Drive Upgrade Kit

(2) SanDisk SDSSDHP-256G-G25 256 GB Ultra Plus SATA III 19 nm 7 mm Internal 2.5-inch Solid State Device

Thank you for taking the time to read this review - Paul

EDIT:

I have installed the SSD and the mounting kit.

Initially with a clean installation of WIN 7 PRO (no Service Packs downloaded, the standard 1TB Toshiba hard-disk (it's a type DT01ACA100, SATA 3 drive, by the way)was taking about 20-25 seconds to boot to a usable Desktop.

After SSD, this is now about 8-10 seconds.

The mounting kit contains all you need to mount the SSD into the computer chassis, although the supplied SATA cable is far too short (I have ordered another, 50 cm in length).
The mounting kit comes with cloning software so that you can clone the Operating system (WIN 7 PRO) onto the SSD. I had a slight hiccup trying to Clone my existing hard-disk onto the SSD using the USB connection (it didn't seem to want to clone). I cured this by simply connecting (temporarily) the SSD to the Motherboard using the power connector and SATA connector from the CD-Drive. I then just did a clone straight from my hard-drive to the SSD using the onbaord SATA bus, ignoring te USB connection (it took 7 minutes using this method).

I am well pleased with the performance now !

Paul
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 21 March 2015
Needed a new computer. Wanted a I7 processor, 16GB ram, graphics card to run two screens lots of memory and USB3. First tried to order a HP Envy but it just never arrive. No Stock. So ordered CSL Speed 4718uPro from amazon and it arrive 3 days later.
It has Windows 7 Prof which is excellent when up grading from XP like I am. Windows 7 also has Windows media suite which shows and records live TV with no problems from a USB free view stick (made by August). Windows starts off in German but I selected UK and English and their were no problems.
The G-force graphics card runs a 24" Asus HD monitor using HDMI and an Acer 21" monitor from VGA with out any problems.
I fitted a 256GB SSD from Crucial and cloned the had drive without any problems. The SSD fitted into the case with a Trixies SSD bracket and all the screws lined up. I connected it with a SAT 3 6GB cable to the mother board and there was a spare connector in the looming for the power.
I noticed that the ASUS mother board is missing one support pillar so I had to be carful attaching the SAT 3 cable. I had to go into the BIOS to tell it to boot from the new SSD and I had to go into the device manager in Windows 7 to tell it to recognise the SSD (a youtube video helped here)
The computer only has 2 USB 3 at the back so I bought a 4 port USB3 PCIe expansion port again from CSL which slotted into the case and mother board fine. There was also a spare power connector for this in the looming. It worked fine after I loaded the driver provided.
Everything in this computer is connected using these SAT 3 cables so nothing like DVD drives or USB cards could be transferred from my old computer. The mother board does not have any more free slots. (There were 3 that are now used by WiFI, USB3 card and Graphics card)
The case and whole computer is very light and quiet but not silent. however the DVD makes a lot of noise if it goes at full speed and actually rattles the case. It settles down to a slower speed when playing DVDs.
The computer reaches the login screen in about 8 seconds from power on and then about the same 8 seconds to log on and be ready to go. I think this is very fast.
The computer had BULL GUARD installed which I got rid off as it was very much in your face all the time. I have installed AVG Free. Windows had an issue with CS3 that stopped the internet working. A youtube video fixed this by telling me how to disable a welcome tab.
My 5.1 surround sound plugged straight into the back of the computer to the motherboard.
I have a 3 TB USB external drive connected all the time without problems.
I use a USB mouse and keyboard from Logitech with no problems.
The computer is used for photos, TV, Photoshop with a Bamboo graphics pad, Work with Office 2007 and it works like a dream.
I think it is great computer for the money. I have been using it every day for a month with no problems. It was easy to upgrade and is extremely quick. Highly recommended.
review image
on 31 January 2014
Product spec exactly as ordered and turned up on time in a very well protected box.My only complaint is that the manufacturers website is all in German and no information regarding guarantee was included with the delivery
on 9 November 2013
OK, so when you buy something what are the things you value? For me it is quality, price and service. So how does this measure up to those criteria?
1. Price - very competitive, it promises a lot for the money
2. Service - Amazon on the ball as usual, no complaints there
3. Quality - well I was a bit perturbed when I found I couldn't plug in my USB keyboard because the mother board was misaligned and the metal flashing covered the USB ports. OK, just teething troubles maybe but irritating nonetheless. Finally everything is connected so I pressed the start button and - nothing. Yes plenty of whirring noises and the main light on the case showed there was power but the monitor remained resolutely blank. Checked all the connections and tried again but still nothing. When the monitor was plugged into the on-board graphics socket then it sprang into life so clearly the problem was the NVidia graphics card and a quick inspection showed it was correctly fitted, just not working.

To me it seems that quality control is non-existent, the machine was dispatched with a dead video card and the USB ports were positioned in a way that made them unusable - so much for German efficiency.

On the plus side Amazon were exemplary (as usual), the machine was collected the next working day and my money was refunded within 24 hours - so no complaints there.

My advice is to choose a different brand
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 17 March 2014
On receiving this computer, Windows 7 was set up perfectly and all connections made to work. I shall shortly begin larger-scale examination but am satisfied so far. The 4 USBs on the rear panel have metal prongs that must be snapped off before memory sticks can be slotted on. After doing that and after inserting the memory sticks into the right-hand slots (as one looks at the rear panel), the left-hand slots move sideways to the right thus enabling memory sticks to slot on and remain perfectly inserted. I notice some people had difficulty with those USB slots but the problem is easily solved as I have described. The defect can be overcome with a nail file to ease out the prongs.
One thing puzzles me. As in other computer towers I have used, there are two DVD compartments. The top one works properly but the lower one appears to be empty. Its button does not open the DVD drawer and when I click on the COMPUTER icon, only the top DVD shows. There is no trace of the lower DVD. However, it is still good value for the money.
on 20 January 2014
what more can I say "A excellent machine " very fast delivery it took 2 days to come from Germany.
Got it straight out of the box, it was set up within 15 minutes then it was ready go.
It’s a very very fast machine, I opened everything up from converting videos, playing videos Downloading stuff and it was no trouble for the CPU everything was running smoothly
It’s very silent as well,
As for the misaligned hdmi Video card no problem there all good
I really recommend this machine to anybody who is thinking of buying it go for it !!!!
it’s a really good buy for the money, at pc world you would be paying around £1000 + for something similar
JUST ONE THING IM A BIT P***ED OFF ABOUT IT CAME DOWN IN PRICE BY £20 4 DAYS AFTER BUT THAT’S NOTHING TO DO WITH THE COMPUTER
just one big thankyou to CLS AND AMAZON
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 February 2015
Great computer for the price. When I ordered this computer it was advertised as having the I7 4770 3.4ghz Processor to my surprise when it arrived I got the I7 4790 3.6ghz also it came with a lot more USB 3 ports than stated so I was pleased, they seem to be changing the spec all the time but not the price so you may get more than you thought. The graphics card is only the GT version the better one is the GTX but for the price of this unit you would only expect the GT but it is plenty good enough for my needs.
I have only need to contact CSL once since getting this unit (just a technical question) but they replied very quickly and where very helpful giving me all the information I needed so no problems in that area excellent customer service.
As others have commented some of the USB slots are a bit hard to use because of the case but a small screwdriver soon moved the case out of the way and now I can use them all with ease.
The fans are nice and quiet but the DVD makes the case buzz and can be a bit noisy when running something like a movie or game but you can get programs to regulate the speed making it a lot quieter.
As stated you get a 1TB hard drive, 16GB ram and built in Wi-Fi, with my old computer the Wi-Fi was only ever on three bars signal strength max this one always gets five bars (full strength) and the computer is in the same place so its a good Wi-Fi card inside.

In summary; this is a great spec computer for the price I don't think you would find anything better in this price range. I have had this for about seven months and have not had any problems so it's a good reliable unit. Well worth the money as far as I'm concerned.
on 27 October 2013
Powerful gaming PC! CSL Speed H4718u (Core i7) incl. Windows 7 - computer system with Intel Core i7-3770 4x 3400 MHz, 1000GB SATA, 16GB DDR3 RAM, MSI Mainboard, GeForce GT 630 4096 MB, USB 3.0 - the ultimate quad core gaming PC!

There are conflicting reviews here. I may have got lucky, but I don't understand the negative reviews. Came next day with Amazon Prime, opened - yes German initially, which changes when you select English for Windows - no misalignment of components.

Absolutely brilliant. Plays Skyrim on ultra high graphics Total War Rome 2 without a problem. Surfing easy and swift.

Based on my experience, awesome pc, awesome performance. Not sure of longevity as only had it a few weeks. Would I buy again based on my experience, absolutely.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 30 January 2014
Although the start up is in German, insert the Windows Recovery Disk and you can then change the language to English. Very fast, clean design inside the case (and room for Hard Drive expansion). On the down side, it took a long time to figure out how to install windows as it said 'Recovery Disk', but that is the right disk. The fans are quite loud and PSU isn't great, but they are minorities compared to the rest of the PC. I am using it with Razer brand Mouse and Keyboard and a Asus HDMI monitor. I advise making use of the 4gb HDMI Graphics Card...

Very Pleased
on 9 March 2014
Needed a new computer because I play online games quite frequently. I could play on my old computer but the games would take a while to load in and the game play itself was quite choppy. Hence why I bought this computer. The difference is unreal, the games now are so much smoother an takes no time to load. The general day to day use if the computer is also so much better. Would really recommend this computer for anyone needing to upgrade to a better, faster pc !