Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 24 January 2013
This is an engaging and enchanting film on so many levels. Its a road movie- 3 siblings embark on a journey over the Atlantic and across the States to meet Lars, the drummer from Metalica. Kate and Will's brother Tom 'wants to meet Lars' and all 3 of them are transformed along the way. Its a film about self esteem; a film about the love of music; a film about overcoming your fears; a film about really putting yourself in someone elses's shoes and tuning into their frequency; and of course its a film about Fragile X, Autism, and learning difficulties and how one man's anxiety can manifest itself. The beauty of this film is that Tom is bigger than Metallica in this film. I saw this at a screening with Kate Spicer and their father today and was blown away.
on 31 October 2013
Me and the wifey are massive Metallica fans, but Lars isn't our favourite of the bunch, I still shudder at the white leather coat days, when the Black album turned him into an arena 'rock star' (a horrible term, sorry for swearing!!). But after seeing this, I gotta say I love the little Danish so and so now!!

My sister in Law is autistic, so me and the misses were keen to see this for two reasons, and I'm not ashamed to say that at the end of the film the pair of us were blubbing like babies with massive smiles on our faces, a beautiful, beautiful thing indeed.

The band, the crew... What a stone cold set of gentlemen who were genuinely and wholly pleased and keen to embrace Tom's lifelong goal of 'Meet, Lars'.

Tom, long may you continue to rock out with yer thingy out, my fellow defender of the faith. You are awesome!!
on 4 December 2014
Beautiful film ,my son was diagnosed with autism a few weeks ago and I've been a massive metallica fan since puppets so I bought this more out of curiosity than anything else and it was completely not what I was expecting but it blew me away ,and I saw so much of Tom in my boy and I totally related to his sister having despaired about routines and the struggle of everyday life and fair play to Lars ,for all the criticisms and bulls*** that has followed him around over the years he treated Tom like a gent and made me proud as piss as I sat cringing waiting for Tom to explode like I've seen my son do in moments of stressful situations.lovely film.
on 4 March 2013
I watched this film at a local arts cinema, the people that made it took it on tour around the country and abroad. It's not often you find a little gem like this. I believe most people I know would get something out of it, and quite a few would really like it. Charming, funny, life affirming and finally out on disc! :)
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 6 January 2015
This is a moving documentary about the importance of family and overcoming fear. Tom Spicer's quest to meet Metallica's drummer Lars Ulrich is both heart-breaking and uplifting. Leaving the safety of his care home and journeying to a metal concert in the USA with his brother and sister Tom exposes himself to a level of vulnerability, anxiety and fear never previously experienced. Often the awkward tension makes uncomfortable viewing and an underlying sadness appears to emanate from the screen, especially when his sister Kate tries desperately to connect. However, the level of goodwill and kindness shown by Metallica's crew and Lars Ulrich in particular is wonderful, and the meeting between Tom and Lars has to be one of the most touching scenes that I have ever seen in a film.
on 24 July 2015
Mission To Lars is a documentary journaling the mission of the Spicer siblings Kate, Will and Tom helping Tom, who has Fragile X Syndrome (“autism with knobs on” in Kate’s words), realise his dream of meeting his hero Lars Ulrich, drummer with the heavy metal band Metallica. Tom hopes to meet with Lars, chat with him and hey maybe even learn some drumming!

This sounds like a relatively simple task right? Hmmm, not so, every Metallica fan and their dog wants to meet Lars it seems and Tom has panic attacks, wild mood swings and singular obsessions, so it’s going to take timing and patience to get this dream fixed up right.

As well as the Lars aspect of the documentary we get to see the Spicer siblings perform their quest in the USA with family bonding thrown into the mix. Kate and Will also want to raise awareness of Fragile X Syndrome and the profits from the film go to MENCAP (a damn worthy cause in my book.) They also during their trip interview an expert on Fragile X Syndrome, which is interesting but could probably have done with a bit more information, as not everybody has a background in psychology like myself.

Then there’s the “reality show” aspect of the documentary, where we get to see the numerous setbacks, family dilemmas and arguing among the siblings, heck it reminded me of my family!

It’s fantastic that Metallica co-operated with this and for me even more fantastic the profits go to MENCAP. I really enjoyed watching this documentary and it was great to see Kate and her brothers just like a regular family.

On a final note if you’re wondering where you’ve seen Kate before then it’s probably on Masterchef as she’s a leading food critic and journalist. I’ve been told she’s a “tough act” when it comes to dining reviews but now I’ve seen this documentary I think she’s just a big softy at heart, well with her family at least ;-)
on 3 February 2014
This is a film with so much heart,it would be very hard to find fault with it.
Tom is a guy with fragile x autism and his long time ambition is to meets Lars from metallica,so his sister and brother set out to make this possible. Now the problems begin,Tom is very unpredictable and keeps changing his mind about going on this trip,which becomes frustrating for his siblings,but their love for him is so obvious as they go about convincing Tom to go on this trip and meet his idol. Then there is the big HOW? With phone calls and meeting people,eventually chances look more positive.
The thing that stands out for me is the will they or won't they aspect. Just as everything is falling into place it gets taken and away and then given back and taken away and so forth,leaving the viewer frustrated for everyone involved. As much as Tom battles his anxieties,you do wonder if this is a mission too far.
on 19 May 2013
This a a beautiful film.I am 41 years old and have not been brought so close to tears over a movie since I saw ET when I was 9!!!. I have been a huge metallica fan for over 20 years seeing them 13 times.I was always told ' never meet your hero , you will be dissapointed'
This is the fear that i had with this movie, how will it end,???

To me, the movie was more about the love,dedication and frustration that Toms family have towards him.The patience and sacfifice that Toms sister show towards him could teach us all a thing or two about family love and tolerance.I really hope that Kate (Toms sister )reads this review because you are a very special person and sister and I loved your honesty about how you and Tom drifted apart.

Please rent/buy/watch this movie. Its not necessary u like metallica , TO ME ITS MORE ABOUT HOW TO MAKE SOMEONE ELSE HAPPY !!!!
on 15 February 2014
If you're a Metallica fan (like me) or just looking for something a little out of the ordinary, then I would recommend this. It's Metallica from a different perspective (Toms) and just tells a really interesting story. I knew something about autism before, however when it's in the context of something you can relate to (going to a Metallica concert) it brings the reality home.
on 27 February 2015
A wonderful, moving film about three siblings re-connecting via one sibling's love of the band Metallica and its drummer, Lars Ulrich.

I have felt inspired ever since seeing this film and have been recommending it to everyone. If you're reading the reviews on Amazon then you must be curious as to whether you should buy it. Well, I say buy it now! Fantastic.