5.0 out of 5 stars Great value earphones with good sound and build
The RHA MA150s are the little brothers to the MA350 and MA450i earphones, for those on a budget whilst not wanting to sacrifice build quality or sound quality.

The three models all share the same specifications:
* 10mm Mylar drivers
* Frequency range of 16 to 22,000Hz
* Impedance of 16ohms
* Sensitivity of 103dB
* and a rated/max power...
Published on 4 Feb. 2013 by Gavin

1.0 out of 5 stars They broke and so did their replacements.
Published 12 months ago by Julian Hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value earphones with good sound and build, 4 Feb. 2013

The three models all share the same specifications:
* 10mm Mylar drivers
* Frequency range of 16 to 22,000Hz
* Impedance of 16ohms
* Sensitivity of 103dB
* and a rated/max power of 3/10mW.

Where the models differ is the added value, the extra features. The MA150 has 1.2m rubber cable whilst the others have braided fabric cables, are made of ABS plastic instead of machined aluminium, has fewer ear tips than the MA450i and also lacks the inline remote control of the MA450i. However, the core of the product isn't compromised - that is whether they are of good build and sound quality.

For just less than £15 these are excellent sounding - good bass response with mids & highs I wouldn't expect in "cheaper" earphones; I was impressed at just how accurate the sound reproduction is in such a small package. For me the fit was perfect plus the selection of 3 tips should ensure that for everyone; whilst passive noise isolation is never perfect, these do a very good job. It is very easy to block out the outside world and enjoy the music as it was meant to be heard without pumping the volume up. That being said, they do handle loud volume quite nicely and don't distort noticeably. As for their looks they are fairly discreet as you would expect with in-ear earphones plus they are very lightweight.

For the price and the 12 month warranty, these are great value; they really do sound fantastic and you won't be disappointed. You would be hard pressed to find as good sounding set of earphones for the price. Overall, if you don't need a remote control and you aren't fussed about a braided cable, I would recommend these highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value and in my opinion as good as the aluminium ones, 16 Aug. 2013
This review is from: RHA MA150 Noise Isolating In Ear Earphones (Electronics)
I've been a big fan of the RHA in-ear ear phones for some time - I have a problem though with leaving my headphones on the train; so when it happened again & working on the basis that this wont be the last time, I thought I'd experiment, by buying the cheaper RHA 150's; and do you know what? I can't tell the difference between them and their more expensive (aluminium) counterparts. Great sound. Nice fit. Fab aftersales service. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value for money!, 8 Feb. 2013
This review is from: RHA MA150 Noise Isolating In Ear Earphones (Electronics)
I purchased these earphones not really knowing what to expect since they were only £15 ... Wow! I have to admit I've been really impressed so far in the few days I've had them. I listen to a wide range of music, including rock, hip-hop, classical and pop and everything sounds brilliant. I would genuinely go so far as to say I would expect earphones that produced clarity and range of this quality to be much more expensive. I really want to know how good the MA-350 sound now.

Can't recommend this product enough, really excellent sound quality and a tiny price. Well done RHA!

1.0 out of 5 stars They broke and so did their replacements., 18 Feb. 2014
Julian Hughes (Hove) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RHA MA150 Noise Isolating In Ear Earphones (Electronics)
EDIT: I initially wrote a positive review and am leaving it below exactly as it was. I have changed the star rating from 4 stars to 1 star. My RHA MA150 earphones stopped working in one ear after just a few days. I contacted the manufacturer who promptly sent me a replacement set and a pre-paid mailer so I could return the defective pair at no cost. This very good service is something that other manufacturers and retailers ought to emulate. I received the new earphones on 26 February. The replacements stopped working on April 16. So two pairs have failed in less than two months, which is very poor. I'm not contacting RHA for a warranty replacement as I don't want another pair. I'm now back to using a pair of Sennheiser CX95 which I bought in 2009 and have outlasted several other similar products. They are well worn and definitely showing their age but do still function perfectly. Like several other earphones I've bought, ranging from cheap to very expensive, these RHAs are not well enough made for daily use and are not the bargain they first seem. /EDIT

original review below:

I bought these after several much more expensive pairs (Shures and Ultimate Ears) either failed or have been lost/stolen. I am really fed up with paying big money for stuff that seems destined for a short life so decided to try these cheap RHA in-ears. I chose them because they have a decent reputation and looked like I'd be able to wear them comfortably when lying down (I like to listen to audio books with my player on a sleep timer).

Design:

Overall it's excellent. The earphones sit within the shell of the ear so nothing protrudes. This means you can put your head down or wear them under a helmet. It also means that when outdoors you don't get the noise of wind swirling around. The silicone tips are very comfortable and fit my ears perfectly. There's no pressure and there is very good noise isolation without any feeling of discomfort or irritation, and without having anything going deep in the ear canal. This is mostly because the sculpted design allows the actual earphone to sit right at the ear canal, covering it. It's such a simple thing but most manufacturers get it so wrong it's ridiculous. The cable is symmetrical and about 130cm long (not 120cm as described). This is long enough that you can loop the cable back over the ear, which all but eliminates noise from the cable (so called microphonics), and even wear these with the cable running down your back. This is often very convenient and these earphones are equally comfortable and work equally well worn this way as when worn cable down to the front. There is a sliding toggle/keeper on the cable so you can keep it tidy when worn, and this also helps eliminate cable noise. This is another thing that is really easy to offer and do properly but is omitted by many manufacturers. The jack plug is angled at 45 degrees so it should work well with tablets and phones in thick protective cases and when used on other devices. Overall the design is well thought out and refreshingly seems to be the product of people who actually use this type of product rather than some nonsense dreamed up by marketing drones.

The earphones are supplied with three pairs of silicone tips - small,medium and large. They also work fine with foam tips such as Squish Fit memory foam earphone cushions by Earphones Plus and also the manufacturer RHA sells good quality dual density "hybrid" tips at a reasonable price.

Sound:

These isolate extremely well and you can hear your music without it being masked or muddled by extraneous noise. As is typical there is far, far too much bass but apart from that they are decent enough. The sound is *very* bassy and warm and very punchy and might be a bit too much over long periods. There is a reasonable midrange and treble so vocal, orchestral or instrumental music is still listenable, though it does tend to get swamped by the booming lower frequencies. The exaggerated bass is useful for masking urban/traffic noise so can be a benefit, and lots of people seem to like or require this type of sound, but if you're looking for anything even remotely resembling neutrality and clarity then look elsewhere.

Overall these are extremely good for the price. They will be great for noisy commutes or for use under a helmet or for those of us who like to doze off with earphones in, but are not the right thing for more general listening or quiet environments unless you favour massive booming mid bass.

edit: if your player has an equaliser or bass control you can remove a couple of dB of bass response and then these are much improved and very enjoyable even with orchestral music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Range, 11 Mar. 2013
This review is from: RHA MA150 Noise Isolating In Ear Earphones (Electronics)
Sound quality excellent, they have a better all round range than others I've purchased. They fit snuggly into my ears.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, good sound, 15 Feb. 2013
This review is from: RHA MA150 Noise Isolating In Ear Earphones (Electronics)
These sound good. For the money they are excellent.

Build quality somewhat reflects the price. No major complaints but the cable has a flimsy, tangle-prone feel. I need to test more, but rotating the jack in my phone's socket (e.g. while phone's in a pocket) sometimes sees the sound cut out...if this persists I'll follow up with RHA.

To my ears the sound feels pretty well-rounded, warm (my ears don't hear the harshness another reviewer mentions), with plenty at the low end but perhaps not the most expressive in mid-ranges. I've not yet played with any equalisers; as is, they more than hold their own against other budget/mid range earphones I've used (Shure e2c, Klipsch s4 - both several times the price of the RHAs).

Noise isolation is good, I've found the fit good (with minimum fuss), and they are comfortable.

In short they are well worth trying; RHA have done a good job and I'm not aware of anything that comes close for the price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 25 Feb. 2013
Fandango - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: RHA MA150 Noise Isolating In Ear Earphones (Electronics)
I can't say I'm an earphone nut but I am impressed with these, bought to replace the standard-issue ones that came with a Samsung Galaxy S3.
Huge improvement in the bass and treble and just sensitivity generally.

Note that the lead is quite skinny at about 1.5mm. Takes up less room but looks less robust and maybe more prone to tangle.

Also the lead from the jack is angled at 135 degrees - which I like as it puts less stress on the exit point for the way I use it.

UPDATE: Having used these for a few weeks I must report the same problem as other reviewers: the cables are very "sensitive". I don't know what it is but if you touch them within a couple of feet of the buds the sound seems to travel along. Even moving your head can cause this scraping/scratching noise - momentarily. I mostly use these on a train and even there when it's a bit bouncy I get this interference. I have not found this with other phones. Maybe the finish is hard rather than soft and this causes some kind of conductivity a bit like a tin can with a string? I have also found that when walking outside with them even a slight breeze causes whistling. I cannot therefore recommend these for any kind of active use - sitting quietly is fine.

UPDATE
I've had to reduce to two stars because after a few months I was losing sound intermittently - looks like a fractured cable. The unit has not been subject to any abuse - just daily use. Also the interference from the cable referred to above seemed excessive. I have replaced with Brainwavz M1 which are a bit more expensive but look like they have a tougher cable and the sound is noticeably better - in fact rather good. Still some cable interference but not as bad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect, 19 Feb. 2013
This review is from: RHA MA150 Noise Isolating In Ear Earphones (Electronics)
I read all the reviews of this model, and it's bigger brother, the MA350's, so had a fair idea what I was getting.

Sound quality is warm, but doesn't swallow the music. There is bass, there is midrange, and there is treble. It's all there, and the bass seems to be improving with use. For those who want big bass and big treble, these aren't for you. You get a nicely balanced sound with these earphones, and that's more than can be said for a lot of the competition at this price point, and higher.

The best compliment I can pay them is that I feel drawn into the music, and find myself listening for longer than usual. Oh, and I liked them so much I have ordered the MA350's as well!

The only criticisms I can make are as regards the cable. There is a lot of microphony, and you have to have the volume turned up to drown out the rustling noise. Also, the cable is very thin, and, regardless of price, something a bit more robust would be good. I have a feeling I will be making use of the one year warranty some time soon.

Actually, it's frustrating. If the manufacturer bulked up the cable, and reduced the microphony (by damping or isolation), I feel sure people would be happy to pay twice the amount for earphones with the same driver and fundamental design. Now, there's a challenge for RHA!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gloriously designed in every aspect, 5 Feb. 2013
David Allsopp "philologus" (Leighton Buzzard, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RHA MA150 Noise Isolating In Ear Earphones (Electronics)
Rarely would I spend an evening writing a review on Amazon, only when I had something worth sharing. These little earphones are the younger brother to the pack-leading MA350 (which I already have) and MA450 models from RHA. They have their work cut out to match the senior model but somehow they done it, packing such quality in build and sound into these little buds that they genuinely are the new worthy relation.

The phones arrived bang on time as promised within 2 working days of order. The packaging is unique. How many times have you cursed the waste (not to say the challenge) of plastic show cases. Not so here. An understated, eco-friendly card box simply with a set of earphones inside. Sweet!

The phones are lighter than the senior models by some way. I have them in my ears now and I am already easily forgetting they are there. Lightweight cable and gold 3.5mm jack which causes no scraping-noise interference to the earbuds. A snug, sound-tight fit in the ear. I use the medium size that came on the buds but there are larger and smaller options to suit.

All of which would need to be matched by the actual sound quality to mean anything. The biggest surprise is the quality of sound. How on earth is it achieved in such budget priced earphones? These are as far away from cheap plastic earphones as it is possible to get, in a stroke reinventing the concept of inexpensive earphones. They have a more prominent bass than their big brothers but it isn't a cloying bass but a clear punchy bass. I listened to Casting Crowns and literally felt the bass as if I was standing next to concert speakers. But across the whole spectrum the sound is even and clear. My Senn HD485 cans are ALMOST as good! In large Bruckner symphonies the whole orchestra stands out without the usual blurring of the different frequencies. Add volume and the quality is not lost. In such bargain priced units I can't quite understand how other manufacturers get away with their sonic offerings!

Well how is it achieved? I have an idea that it is designed that way. The overall impression is one of intentionally designed excellence. The angled jack plug, the cord sleeve to avoid tangles, the single piece build to ensure durability all reflect the design that has gone into the units. One small example that shows the care taken; the 'L' and 'R' are embossed on each rubber ear sleeve. The 'L' has a small raised dot underneath. So pick up the buds and a blind man (literally) can instantly get them in the correct ears. Priceless!

1.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable replacements for Creative Labs EP-630/A's ***now failed***, 19 Feb. 2013
This review is from: RHA MA150 Noise Isolating In Ear Earphones (Electronics)
*Updated review 1 year on* - I repeatedly had issues with one of the earbuds failing - this happened to each and every pair that RHA's customer service sent out. I used to wear these in the gym, but ended up using the last pair at my desk in work - same problem, after a few weeks of light use, the left earbud failed. Now I'm out of warranty so this purchase gave me just over a year of temporamental playback.

From my original enthusiasm, and even with excellent after-care support from RHA, the product for me has been sub-standard. Such a shame.

Original review:

I use my earbuds for listening to music whilst running, so comfort and noise-isolating (noisy gym) are my primary concern. I had the EP-630's for two years, and they were excellent. These MA150's are possibly even better. They are a snug fit, have excellent bass response, and once the music's underway, there is very little ambient noise audible. Audio quality is excellent overall.

Packaging is sparse, but who cares? The product is spot-on.

Update after a few months:
Not recommended - these have now failed completely as the cable is too flimsy for moderate / vigorous use.