on 11 May 2013
I will start with first impressions. Out of the box unit is not too heavy and well built. Included in the box was:
Radio unit
Metal shield to mount into the vehicle
Two metal strips to remove the radio from the shield
Wires from radio to ISO connection (including steering wheel control wire)
Lavalier type microphone with approx 2m of cable
Manuals
Straight away I am left out without carry case for the fascia and remote. Case you can get even for free at most auto radio shops and most Android and iOS phones have control app so.. That one is sorted.

After installing radio into the vehicle I went through the menus with little help from the manual. Easy to set up and clear instructions. Got all my radio stations saved and went to connect Samsung Galaxy S3 via Bluetooth. Child's play. Plays songs via Bluetooth and most importantly works a charm via Handsfree. More below.

Hands free functions: brilliant. I had a radio that I paid twice the price and it did not show name nor contacts on screen when calling. This one has it all (considering you are using SGS3 or similar device):
Can dial from phonebook (yes you can actually see names and even phone numbers if needed)
Can call recent contact list
Can dial number (bit awkward; would not recommend while driving)
Can save 6 (maybe even more) contacts on radio for speed dial
Can see name who is calling
Can increase/reduce volume, echo cancellation while on call
And more

Obviously there are tons of other neat little functions. These were the ones that sold the radio to me and they do work as advertised.

Negatives:
Screen is nearly impossible to read during the day (will try to attach the photos later)
Bluetooth icon is tiny, hard to know when the phone is connected - would be nice to have some sort of B logo above volume control that lights up when BT is on (not a major disappointment)

Overall would highly recommend. No major complaints and tons of handy features for the price of handsfree kit.
review image review image review image review image
on 1 February 2014
After reading some other reviews I was really in two minds about buying this. I have an iPhone 5s and I must say investigating JVCs website made me even more sceptical - the information there is terrible - especially compared to their competitors. In the end I looked at Pioneer, Sony, JVC and Phillips. I looked at reviews and visited a couple of shops to look at the units.

I was replacing a previous JVC unit and this took me less than 10 mins to fit, including feeding the mic through behind the dash and up to the headlining. I thought it was a nice touch that the box contained two metal strips to get the old unit out with.I had to buy an adapter for the aerial which was not a problem.

Sound is far better than my old unit (through replacement 'decent' speakers in my Galaxy), more bass, and treble is more distinct. I am getting a bit hard of hearing and found it difficult sometimes to work out lyrics with the old unit (and the Ford Unit). This is much more distinct.

The unit is also logical to use and links perfectly with iPhone 4, 4SS and 5S (tested all three). The display clearly shows what is playing and links as soon as you plug the iPhone in.

I was sceptical about the bluetooth, but it seems to work fine. You can even adjust the 'echoeyness'. OK it's not as good as my bluetooth headset at speed (that is noise cancelling), but it does mean I can now legally answer calls that I previously missed whilst juggling putting the headset in my ear! Bluetooth syncs immediately phone goes in car and remembers two devices.

This device was considerably cheaper than the equivalent from other manufacturers, especially at the Amazon price.

The only negative point is that unlike others you cannot change the display colour to fit with your car. But I can live with that!

Oh and turning the 'demo' mode off (as moaned about by other) is easy and detailed on first page of instructions!
on 24 January 2014
I bought this radio as I was fed up trying various useless gadgets to connect an iPod/iPhone to my old non-Aux/USB/Bluetooth car radio. Had I known that I could have got such a brilliant radio as this JVC KD-X250BT for this price, I would have changed my old car radio ages ago. In fact I was so impressed that I bought a second JVC KD-X250BT radio for my wife's car. So now I have great sound quality, music easily played via Bluetooth from my iPhone or via a USB connection which also charges the phone.

The radio was straight forward to fit, but I had to swap the red & yellow power supplies (within the wiring harness supplied with the radio) on both a 2004 Octavia and a 2001 Peugeot 106 - just a case of following one of the wiring options in the instructions, and the give away that it needs doing is that the radio doesn't remember the radio station etc that you played last when it is switched back on. Also both cars required an aerial adapter to plug in the car's aerial lead to the radio, bought on Amazon for 79p, or Halfords for £4.99.

The ONLY thing that I think could be better is that there is very limited iPod album/artist/playlist selection functionality from the radio using Bluetooth, however when connecting via USB full selection functionality is there - not a big deal.

Highly recommended!!!
on 4 March 2014
Great stereo. Plays music from my iphone 4 via bluetooth or direct via the usb cable. Sound quality is very good.
Hand free function is good and the mic picks up the sound well from hidden behind the wheel on the steering column for the stealth installation. Brightness of the screen and buttons can be adjusted independently.
Curve on the face plate can cause slight difficulty in reading the display in bright sunlight. A rear usb outlet would also have been handy - but at this price that is easily overlooked.
The first thing to say about this product is that it is extremely easy to fit. I've never had to fit anything like this before, but the instructions were clear and easy to follow and I had this up and running within half an hour. For anyone concerned about installing this, don't be, it's a breeze to fit.

The call quality is fantastic. During calls on my way to and from work I've been able to hear people perfectly fine and they've had no issues with my microphone. Reports from those I've spoken to have been that the call quality at their end has been great, with very little background noise picked up.

Using the device for media proved to be a mixed bag. I've tried it with multiple phones, Android, iOS and Windows Phone. Windows phone was pretty disastrous, it paired and handled calls well, but audio was awful, constantly skipping throughout songs. My Android and iOS devices fared a lot better, but still the track skipping issues cropped up now and again. If I ever touched the volume controls on my phone then the track would skip for a few minutes unless I disconnected the reconnected bluetooth. The issues experienced were consistent across two Android devices and two iOS devices.

The USB is a nice addition, offering charging capabilities. One thing to note is that when using sat nav my phones discharged faster than the device could charge them, so if this is going to be your only means of charging I would be careful.

For the price it's pretty good, and when the device is working the way it should it's fantastic. My major gripe is how inconsistent it seems to be, it's almost as though it needs to warm up, taking a few tries to get the connection via bluetooth to stick. It's done the job I need, offering great hands free experience's, it's just a shame that the media is so hit and miss.
on 30 August 2013
Can't but praise this product, great sound, easy to use, works a dream with my Nexus 4 phone and apart from worrying about installing it in my car (Corsa C with factory fitted unit) I found it a breeze..!!!!!!!!!!
on 26 May 2014
Absolutely ace device. Bluetooth hands-free and music streaming both work like a charm and all the praise is well deserved.
However~ I have encountered one problem <which incidentally my wife also has on her unit (the earlier version KD-X50BT)>
If you have more than one phone paired with the receiver it seems to fall down when trying to play audio. The display just shows STOP. The only way then I can see of clearing this is to remove one of the paired phones. This is annoying if you have to spend time messing about when you're just about to set off on a journey.
This error doesn't happen with phone calls either, only music streaming.
But apart from that niggly issue (and if you only ever pair one phone to it at a time) it's a great bit of kit for the money (70quid at time of purchase)
on 27 December 2013
After a bit of research I ended up buying this unit and I don't regret it. In fact I'm very happy with it.
Dismantling my old unit and mounting the new one was a 10 minutes job. Reading and programming the new unit around 15 minutes... and that's all folks. Nice and easy. Sound is good, hands free easy to set up and work good, bluetooth connection without any problems, works like a charm. So, if you want a new unit for your car that don't need dvd or cd and you carry your music on the phone (as I do) or on a memory stick, than this is for you.
on 21 March 2014
I have nothing but good things to say about this stereo. Sounds great, easy to use, and it's even better if you use it in conjunction with the JVC phone app. The only issue I have (and this is minor to me) is that it takes a little while for the bluetooth to connect when I start my journey. Once it is all up and running though, the app really covers all the bases - music (regardless of the source), satnav (you can even specify your preferred nav app) and of course, calls. Longer journeys are now a much more pleasant experience!
on 16 April 2014
The unit was easy to fit as a replacement - mainly to add Bluetooth functionality.
For that purpose - it is certainly competent - used with iPod and iPhone for both music and audio books with no problem.
It's a little fiddly - controls need to be understood which takes practice and reading of the manual.
Can be used for hands free calls using Bluetooth and the supplied microphone. As far as I can tell the dialing is via the phone (i.e. no voice dialing).

For the reasonable price - no complaints!