4.0 out of 5 stars Overall i like this camcorder, 15 May 2013
I love New York (Not in New York) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sony PJ420 Full HD Projector Camcorder - Black (8.9MP, 30x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Overall a fine quality camcorder that has so far produced great results, no problems filming while on the move and shots have remained in focus. Good quality sound is also produced

The feature that really grabbed my attention was the built in projector, the fact that the camcorder almost becomes a self contained all in one unit and you almost wouldn't ever need to remove the memory card (I know people will) was a great idea. Upon my first recording of next to nothing happening in my garden I rushed in to project my masterpiece onto the wall. After adjusting to put the picture in focus I was pleasantly surprised by the picture quality. Subsequent recording have also looked pretty good.

There is no denying that this camcorder is jam-packed with great features and certainly produces a fine quality picture, but I'm left with one nagging issue that stops me from giving it full marks, which is the weight of the thing. It's well put together in general; however it weighs next to nothing and feels very fragile. Another camera I own has fantastic weight to it and feels like you are holding a can of coke, this feels like the contents of the can have be removed. Maybe I'm being picky, but it feels a small knock away from no more filming.

4 Stars seems about right.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bit More than Your Average Camcorder, 29 Mar 2013
Jack Percival (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Length:: 2:24 Mins

It'd probably been a little bit too long since I last looked at a camcorder when I received this one earlier in the week. While the accessories from my previous purchase (which to age it, still used DV tape) worked on this one and the namesake was still there, that was about where the similarities stopped. This was to be smaller, more powerful and packed with features my last camcorder could only have dreamt of.

What makes this camcorder stand out from the many other digital HD offerings on the market is the inclusions of the projector. Mounted on the back of the flip out display, I was expecting this to be poor quality and struggle in anything less than pitch black conditions. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised as the projector managed to beam a relatively large picture onto the wall in the early evening. Once in full dark conditions the picture quality is excellent and you're not limited to what you've recorded either. Anything that has an HDMI output can be plugged into the camera and then viewed on the projector screen. While the picture is not perfect and the unit can be more difficult to operate with the touch screen off and the projector on, overall it makes a good impression.

There are a couple of other physical features that help this camcorder to stand out. The balanced optical steadyshot means that even when you're holding on to the unit and zoomed in there is less shake due to the lens being on a ball element that moves around in the end of the camera opposite to you to keep the picture steady. With a 30x optimal zoom, this is almost a necessity when not using a tripod and a nice change from the software solutions available in a lot of similar camcorders. The front end also has a wide angle lens and several microphones which means that it records in 5.1 surround sound with the addition of wind noise reduction and closer voice technologies.

Despite this impressive feature list the camcorder is let down by getting the basics completely right on build quality and ergonomics. The whole unit while light and smaller than the one I've owned before seems a bit plastic with many hatches and covers, none of which feel as strong as they could be. While it fits nicely in the hand, your fingers aren't quite in the right places to hit all the button which means I find myself stretching to try and zoom in which upsets the shot. Similarly the screen while large feels like it hasn't moved on much from my earlier model which means that I'm still jabbing at the button I want to press. When you've got extra features in there like slow motion, golf shot mode and the GPS they are let down by the user experience this produces. A nice addition, however is the built in USB cable which means you can't forget it wherever you go.

Overall this handycam is not only convenient but packed with features. While there have been compromises in the build, they aren't mirrored in the feature set - least of all with the projector which I'm genuinely impressed with. Packed with these things, its just one notch away from a five star product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony PJ 420 full HD Projector Camcorder, 11 Dec 2013
I am very pleased with this item. It does much more than I will ever need. Is perfect size light but sturdy. Bought it to photograph family and Grandchildren in Australia and will be able to record and take still photos at will. Clear instructions for use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product.., 5 Dec 2013
Superb Delivery timing and information sharing.. Product is really good but only one issue, may be a manufacturing defect, while I am recording movies sometimes it takes still photographs continiously. otherwise quality of recording and Projector is really worth and value for money..

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 16 May 2013
Peter Coupe (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Length:: 0:29 Mins

Not the most exciting video, I grant you, but very good quality for a handheld video in my opinion. This camera handles all sorts of different lighting conditions, and copes very well with movement (no jelly wobble shutter detected so far). It is super lightweight, and seems to cope OK with being dropped (oops!).
There are plenty of shooting options available and the 'standard' auto function really does deliver the goods in almost all conditions. The projector is a nice bonus, and is great fun for showing holiday movies at the end of each day.
I love it, and I carry it around with me everywhere I go, as it gives me movies and stills to a very good quality in a small and unobtrusive package.