on 14 March 2013
This download version of The Very Best Of Kirsty MacColls - A New England, differs to the cd version with 5 of the 21 tracks different, with two of her most famous songs,In These Shoes and There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis not included on the download version.Although the replacment 5 tracks are good you are missing out on at least two of Kirstys most famous tracks.That is why I can only give 3 stars but the cd version I would give at least 4 stars.
This is a really good collection. Kirsty MacColl was a terrific songwriter and a great performer of her own and other people's material, and much of the best of her is collected here.

I think MacColl's greatest strength was her ability to produce a hugely enjoyable song which is often both lyrically and musically extremely witty but still conveys genuine, important emotions. There's A Guy Works Down the Chip Shop is the classic example (and remains one of my favourite pop records ever) but there's plenty else - in the excellent England 2, Colombia 0, for example - and, frankly, anyone who can write a song called Don't Come The Cowboy With Me, Sonny Jim (which is brilliant) deserves everyone's attention.

Her covers, too, show a real intensity, always leavened and somehow deepened by a twinkle in Kirsty's eye. Ray Davies's Days and Billy Bragg's A New England are both masterpieces, in my view, and others are very good indeed.

The remastering on this album seems very good to me, with excellent sound but the original feel of the tracks preserved. I suspect that if you're looking at this page then you're already a Kirsty MacColl fan and don't need any encouragement from me, but for what it's worth I warmly recommend this as a fine collection of great songs by a great writer and performer.
on 20 March 2013
One of my favourite - and sadly missed - artists, and this is an excellent compilation which reminds me of just how clever her songs were/are.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 February 2014
I love Kirsty MacColl and this serves as an excellent example of her work. It's not comprehensive, there are a few tracks not included but for anyone who is not a fan or is just coming to her music, it's good enough to give a clear introduction to her work. There isn't a 'duff' track on this album and it shows what we might have expected from Kirsty if her life hadn't been so tragically cut short. Just be thankful that we have something to remember her by.
on 7 December 2013
The late, great Kirsty MacColl wrote and performed some wonderfully quirky songs. This album has most of the early stuff - apart from "There's a Guy Works Down the Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis" Which is a pity but easily solved by downloading the track.
All good stuff and sure to bring a smile to your face if you listen carefully to the lyrics.
on 12 December 2013
As I stated in my last review...excellent and a replacement for my collection - love the artist and a brilliant track...idea combination. Buy the album, it is a pleasure.
on 31 May 2013
Nice lady when she was allive good singer sad loss to the music world. Wish i could have met her in person.
on 6 January 2015
Have loved this for years
on 16 January 2015