5.0 out of 5 stars Best in the series since RE4...
Published on 1 Jun. 2013 by alternadv

3.0 out of 5 stars Solo campaign lasts about 12 hours
I enjoyed playing Revelations, but it's very short - I finished the solo campaign in a little under 12 hours, on Casual (easy) difficulty. And I don't see why it should take much longer on the harder difficulties if you're good enough to play them without dying too often.
Published 2 months ago by David Cowie

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in the series since RE4..., 1 Jun. 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Resident Evil Revelations (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
As a long time fan of the Resident Evil series, I have to admit that I went into Resident Evil: Revelations a little skeptical, to say the least. Resident Evil 6 had been surrounded by so much hype, claiming that it would revolutionize the series and take it to new and exciting places. Alas, it certainly did not. What did we get? A confusing, tedious and shallow 'action' game that seemed to strip away all the things that made Resident Evil, Resident Evil.

Resident Evil: Revelations is a nice jump back to a more familiar style of gameplay that fans of the older Resident Evil are used to. Whilst it does have the more actiony style of fighting enemies seen in RE4, 5 and 6, it also focuses largely on the story and the characters, something that RE6 especially lacked (I often felt I was just endlessly killing enemy after enemy with absolutely no idea what was going on or who anyone was) and the action doesn't fell like it drags on endlessly like Resident Evil 6. Jill and her partner Parker are aboard a huge ship, the Queen Zenobia, searching for her fellow comrade Chris Redfield who has gone missing.

This really should have been Resident Evil 6. Storyline is great, the atmosphere really captures that freaky feeling apparent in the earlier games and the new Raid mode - similar to The Mercenaries seen in the previous games - is a huge improvement and I have spent countless hours enjoying it with friends online. Has all the things that make a great Resident Evil game - lots of exploration, a few puzzles here and there, creepy zombie-esque monsters (although a few of the monster designs feel a bit sloppy and uninspired) and plenty of cool weapons which you can upgrade and customize which is a nice feature. And the characters are an interesting and unique bunch, even if we do have a couple of the cringe-worthy voice acting moments, in particular, Jessica is possibly the most ridiculously camp character ever to appear in an Resident Evil game and rivals Ada Wong for the most innappropriate outfit considering she has been sent on an important mission which will involve a lot of physical contact - one legged skin tight catsuit with 5 inch stilettos anyone? All I can say is 'Me and my sweet ass are on the way!'.

I definitely recommend this game to any fan of Resident Evil, zombie-related games and yes, survival horror genre games (this is the first time since RE4 where we can actually call the game 'Survival Horror' and not just 'Action' as seen in RE5 and 6). It was incredibly exciting and at times particularly creepy and scary, something I haven't felt from a Resident Evil game in a long time! Not to mention that it is focused on two of THE best characters in the RE series, Jill Valentine and Chris Redfield.

Buy this game, you won't regret it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to survivor roots - sort of...., 24 May 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Resident Evil Revelations (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This is a port of the 3DS so several things run through my mind, I have played the 3DS & thought it was very good for a handheld game with touch elements. So the 360 version is a more polished version, contols feel a tad awkward to get used to lining the cross hairs up but overall still usable. It stars one of my favioute charactors from Res 1 & Res 3 Jill Valentine looking very nice in her outfit :) The weapons seem standard knife, pistol & shotgun etc some seem to be hidden around the "ghost ship".. which brings me to the first high point of Res Revelations. The setting almost feels like the mansion from Res 1 a major plus point, Im on chapter 4 so a little through it, Ive discovered my first boss battle which was clever in how to deal with it. The Cruise liner has all the relivant areas bridge guest corridors service rooms elevators etc, you need special keys to obtain certain areas (think shield key from Res 1 etc.) The puzzles on the 3Ds like unscrewing panels are all in a cut scene now, which i suppose loses it's fun points not being touch enabled. The enemies are not Zombies shock horror, so que the haters well tbh the Ooze the enemy of the game at first seem disapointing in comparison to the zombies of racoon city but have their own charm, they can appear out of the vents foors aswell as cupboards etc so hold some challenge, so all in all the "ship" section is good. Now the bad point remember the annoying Chris mission for Res 6 loads of ammo kill everything run kill everything run well its back in the section you play away from the boat with Chris Redfield. I am a massive survivor horror fan and really dont care for this type of play in a Res game so am pretty gutted but it is in here and holds info to story of the game. The collectables are in here with the use of a scanner which i found quite good uncovering ammo health etc that you otherwise walked past to the naked eye! You also have hand prints scattered about (like the spinning tokens in Res 5 that you shoot) you have to scan these to add to your collection the more you get the better the prize, weapons etc. There is a multiplayer called Raid - I have not tried this as yet will update when i do. The achievements are scattered between the campaign & the Raid mode making achievment hunters play both parts!

Overall its a great atmosperic survival horror with the cruise ship back drop, including a few scares (so far) but why in gods name did they need the gears of war run & gun bit!

8/10 for me..

4.0 out of 5 stars A Step Towards How Resident Evil Was And Should Be; Just A Shame It's A Little On The Short Side., 9 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Resident Evil Revelations (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Having heard good things about Revelations, I decided to give it a shot, of course my love for Resident Evil had taken a beating since the mess which was Resident Evil 6 and 5. However, I'm happy to say Resident Evil Revelations certainly has taken a step in the right direction compared to those two titles, though of course it still keeps with the similar combat style of Resident Evil 4, but mostly 5 & 6; it's an enjoyable and at times challenging system that works to bring entertainment, I didn't find myself getting bored at any point when battling enemies throughout the campaign. I've yet to play on the hardest difficulty, but I found Normal to be a little disappointing in terms of a challenge and that constant "on the edge" feel, where you're constantly trying to save ammo for whatever is about to come around the corner. In Normal mode there's a bevy of Ammo and Health, which as I said I found disappointing as it didn't make for much of a challenge, though I will say even on Normal at some parts I was finding myself low on Ammo having wasted it, and regretting not being more wise in conserving some for later. I'm unaware if the hardest difficulty will remove a lot of Ammo points or make the Enemies more brutal; which I think will serve as a greater challenge as some like to soak up that Ammo if not attacked correctly.

The new weapon upgrade system is quite enjoyable, and the ability to swap out weapons in the field is lovely, though this can lead to situations; especial on your first playthrough where you'll find yourself against a tough enemy, and really regret saving that more powerful weapon for later. None the less, the upgrades add an edge to your arsenal and make it all the more enjoyable taking down the infected, and certainly make you want to scout the entire area to find the custom parts; which are used to upgrade your weapons.

Though the chapters are set levels, there is a decent enough level of exploration to be had, finding the custom parts, finding collectibles and returning to areas you found previously which were locked, but now can be opened; these areas usually aren't to be returned to in terms of your objectives, so it adds a nice sort of freedom to your playthrough; not much but enough to extend gameplay and reward you for going out of your way to return to those areas.

The story is much more interesting than Resident Evil 6 and 5 in my opinion, it's not based on a stupidly weak and really outrageous plot. It's not the strongest storyline mind you, but I found it entertaining and it kept me interested, though I still felt it was in a way it was copying the RE 5 & 6 formula's at points. The voice acting for the most part is good (though some questionable), the new characters bar a few I found likable and entertaining and would definitely like to see more of them in future titles of the series and as for the enemies there's enough variety to keep the game entertaining and the sub bosses (Or what I found to be sub bosses) definitely provide a slight challenge and can be quite viscious if not dealt with properly. The weapon variety is a little lacking for my taste, but in some way the upgrades make up for that, as some change the way the weapons work; though I would have liked to have seen some weapons outside of the stereotypical handgun, shotgun etc.

My main gripe with this game is the length, I didn't find it to be all that terribly long, I felt the story was a little rushed and some chapters I sat there scratching my head wondering why it was even a chapter since it lasted twenty minutes or the shortest was fourteen! I believe. This is another gripe in itself, each chapter is broken down into two or three parts at the most and some of these parts lasted less than three minutes at the least before another cutscene ensued and the part was over, it just didn't make any sense to have it as a part at all, why not just let the whole chapter play out; it got a little irritating having the end of part results screen pop up in my opinion too often, when I just wanted to keep playing. So, in terms of length I wouldn't say I'm utterly impressed, I would have liked the story to have been longer or at least some of the chapters to have been much greater length and allow for perhaps more exploration or interesting scenario's with enemies.

Other than the Main Campaign there is Raid mode, I've only played it a few times, but it comes across as mercenaries minus the time limit; you have to take the enemies for BP (I'm assuming battle points? These allow you to buy more weapons, upgrades, etc etc, making you stronger) Your given an objective which you must reach in order to finish the level, it seems to actually finish you must defeat some sort of boss-like scenario at the end of the level, before a BSAA Medallion appears and you smash it and thus end the level; then you're awarded BP for how many enemies you killed and in what matter (Be it headshots etc etc) And also exp which levels up your character. So, it's sort of RPG-ish in a way I guess, you go on to attain more BP and level up higher to attain better weapons and upgrades etc, to get stronger and thus move onto the more challenging levels and so on and so forth. I can see this being quite fun solo or online, and probably will be time consuming, the addition of multiple characters and each having their own abilities; for example Jill having 50% faster handgun reloading and Chris 25% Faster Shots with Shotguns is really nice and makes you want to try them all out and find which one works best for you or each level etc, keeping the Raid Mode interesting and giving it some replay value. Though, I do find this is definitely a mode that would be more suited to the Handheld DS version, a sort of time killer for when you're on the road for a long period of time etc, of course the added benefit of it on the console is playing online with others, which you won't get with the DS unless you're at home I'm assuming.

Overall however, I'm giving the game a four out of five stars, it's a step in the right direction for the franchise and I much preferred this over Resident Evil 6; at least in Resident Evil Revelations I felt it was going in the right direction for a creepy setting, you do get a sort of isolated feeling; though I have to say the partner system that seems to have come over from RE 5 & 6 I wasn't too thrilled about, but at least your partners are more reliable than Sheva; though at points immersion breaking as all the enemies seem to just pile on you, since your partner is invincible and blindly just shooting them in the corner; in fact they might as well have not been there for they don't really do all that much damage and rarely take down more than a few enemies. The main campaign is good, but it's not great or something to write home about, though again it's not overly silly or outrageous, it still holds tinges of that RE 5 & 6 formula for me; despite that it's entertaining and kept me mostly invested, I found myself wanting to find out what happened next at various points in the plot.

It also has to be taken into consideration this is a DS port, so it's not suprising the length of the game, I can imagine most handheld games main stories last about this long and something like the Raid mode in this game is the real time consumer; where you find yourself leveling up and trying to get stronger to take on the harder levels, though for people who are more in lin for the story this mode will probably fall short; like it may well do for me, though I'll get some entertainment out of it and trying to beat it, I'm much more for a challenging main campaign and story over something like Raid Mode.

For a port from the a handheld its certainly good and definitely one of the more worthwhile resident evils, but I certainly don't think this is worth more than £12 which is close to what I got the game for, I certainly wouldn't see it being worth anything over that, just down to the story which for me fell short in terms of length. Would I have bought the game knowing all this, most probably yes but possibly at a cheaper price, I still feel the games length lets it down and its not a true to form return to how Resident Evil should be; honestly I would have liked to have got it when the game was £5, but since that was a christmas deal I had my doubts it wouldn't roll around again for some time, and thus I bit the bullet and bought it at the slightly higher price; so slightly disappointed but not overly for the game was still enjoyable and gave me a good taste of the resident evil 4 experience (A game I have played numerous times and enjoyed greatly) and a tinge of the older better days of Resident Evil.

In one final conclusion, an entertaining game, looking more towards moving back to the old resident evil formula; whilst still grasping a little firm onto RE 5 & 6's formula in some respect. If you're a resident evil fan this is definitely a game I feel should be played, but only for the right price in my eyes. What I will say in my last line is, finally a resident evil without ridiculous gun toting infected humans in a call of duty war zone scenario, but instead creepy, deformed infected monsters and creatures on a isolated place in the middle of nowhere and no escape from them without the aid of a bullet.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good Resi experience, 20 Aug. 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Resident Evil Revelations (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I'm just going to come right out and say it: I love Resident Evil 6. Lot's of people did not and Capcom even went on record to say that it was slightly "bloated". In other words it tried to do too much.

Revelations, on the other hand, has been better received and classed as one of the better Resident Evil titles. I originally played this on the 3DS and it was great to get a port for the 360.

I remember rushing down to my nearest Electronics Boutique for the release of Resident Evil on the PSone. It was, at the time, one of the best games I'd ever played.....for survival horror. Nowadays the term is thrown around and ultimately people have different views on what survival horror actually is.

In my book Resident Evil Revelations is an action game with horror elements. Due to the fact that ammunition (on normal difficulty) never really becomes a problem (unless you've been getting shooting lessons from Stevie Wonder) and weapons can be upgraded to deliver extreme damage it always feels like the player has the upper hand. I think Capcom has a tough job supplying it's market with what we, as fickle gamers, expect from our Zombie games.

Of course, like the times, the enemies in the Resi universe are shifting. Revelations introduces the Ooze. Gangly mutations with sharp limbs and large tongues. There are genuine moments of "I may have just filled my underwear" as the creatures slide out of vents behind you, and appear at unexpected times. They grab you, try to drink your blood and it's a case of wiggling the analogue stick to shake them off. Get surrounded and it's back to the continue screen. As in all the Resi games you'll adopt a playstyle that allows you to shoot, dodge and melee attack your enemies. It all comes together in the end.

Revelations features something of a mixed campaign. The main tell is Jill Valentine and her partner, Parker, as they explore the murky decks of a cruise vessel called the Queen Zegobia. Jills' mission is to locate the ever, beefy, Chris Redfield. Obviously things do not go as planned and the games episodic nature plants you into the boots of different characters at key points. It's an interesting way of telling the story as you get to visit snowy mountains and even a City locale. But, as Jills' quest is the main one, when you jump back to her you open up new areas of the ship and can explore them freely. It's not un-common in the Resi games to backtrack into previous areas to unlock doors that were previously off-limits.

You'll hunt high and low for weapon upgrades, extra herbs and ammunition. This is Resident Evil at it's best...allowing the player to move steadily through the world with a sense of unease and wonder, as to what's behind a now usable door.

All in all this is must-buy for fans of the main series.

Beyond the main campaign mode lies the Raid mode. Similar to Mercenaries but actually more satisfying as the clock isn't on a countdown. You can select sections from the main game, choose your character, and then go against leveled enemies. The thing is you will find yourself grinding and grinding, earning coin and weapon parts to boost your arsenal.
Think of it like a dungeon crawl. This mode can be played co-op but no split screen. Internet only.

3.0 out of 5 stars Solo campaign lasts about 12 hours, 4 May 2015
This review is from: Resident Evil Revelations (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This leaves Raid mode, which is intended for multiplayer. It can be played solo if you don't care for online gaming, but on a quick trial it just seems to consist of blasting your way through the game stages, and grinding for items and XP to level up so you can blast through the next stage.
I only paid £12 for the game so I don't feel too short-changed, but if it had been longer then I would have given it four stars instead of three.

3.0 out of 5 stars A better RE but not without flaws., 7 Jun. 2015
Positives:
More effort has been made in attempting to deliver the chills, creep, and suspense of Survival Horror, better than majority of most previous RE games of recent years, making the gamer more hesitant to go around THAT corner or open THAT door.
User friendly interface and simple controls.
The puzzles are back! Don't expect to go dashing ahead like you do in RE6 or RE:ORC. If you do, you will not last two minutes.
Conserve health and herbs, as in the first RE, as you never know when you may need what and when.
B.O.W characters have their own unique weaknesses, meaning its no longer a case of "just shoot 'em in the head!". This can provide quite a bit of tension on the first play through.
Not many awkward camera angles like in RE2/RE6, bar one or two rare moments.
Riot Mode. The Mercenaries-style combat-fest is back and takes place through unlockable arenas, obtained by completing the campaign. The timer has been removed from in-game play so its a lot less pressurising and distracting as it has been in earlier REs. Gain BP (buy points) and XP to buy weapons and mods or character level up, gained by the true-to-style RE ranking system.
Music more akin to the RE games of the past and not the films (i.e. the similarities between Apocalypse and RE:ORC soundtrack).
The ability to upgrade weapons.
Various different environments with changing weather cycles, from the dank, dark, claustrophobic corridors of the luxury cruise liner to the frigid landscapes of Europe and more.
The ability to save or take a break (or not) between the "Episodes".

Negatives:
Capcom's patriarchal representation of women is still an issue (Jessica's debasing behaviour and equally debasing costumes, the disproportionate size of Jill's bum in correspondence with the rest of her emaciated body) and don't leave much room for interpretation.
Sluggish controls, lags on enemies, especially Boss B.O.Ws.
The map is terrible with confusing icons that have no legend definition (save a few ambiguous ones that rarely appear on the map itself). Could never actually understand the basic function of direction or guidance within the map so spent more time chasing around, trying to arrive at intended destination.
The game is annoying and is more suspenseful if the music is turned off, but then the problem arises that this mutes the cut scenes too. A double whammy there.
The Boss B.O.Ws can be ridiculously difficult to defeat. Prepare to die a lot on first run through (unless - possibly -on Casual/Easy).
Inability to alter difficulty setting in-game or without restarting the entire game.
The NPC partner. Don't rely on them to help take down the Boss B.O.Ws. They stand in a corner and let off wild shots at the bogey B.O.Ws (if present) and even then that is when they are up for the challenge. They basically stand there looking pretty. Even the table in the corner of the room is more dangerous than these guys/gals.
The back-to-front- jump-to-the-end-then-the-beginning story sequence. It is as confusing as it sounds and hard to follow, but its actually a good story if you can keep up. The only issue with the story is it offers nothing new (except new B.O.W variants) and is getting a bit old hat (the current terrorist group is just another Umbrella Corp with far less clout). What happened to Tricell? Also, because of this, the story is divided into "Episodes", which have both advantages and disadvantages.
The lack of being able to track rank or timing across the campaign, making it treacherously difficult to keep an eye on progress for that prodigious S rank.
The cut scene recaps at the start of every new "Episode", drawing out the story unnecessarily.

Overall, a good game but not without its flaws; the two most serious ones being user control (the sluggish rotation) and misrepresentation of the female gender. If Capcom can these two issues squared away, RE fans may finally have coming to them what they have wanted since 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars surprised, 13 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Resident Evil Revelations (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Well this game is just great, I loved the early REs and especially 2 and 4.
I played RE 6 and I just couldn't take it anymore after Leon's campaign, it made me sick waiting for a Spec Ops Team to destroy flaks while being shot at with MGs, RPGs, Sniper Rifles and tons of other explosive s*** plus endless respawning enemy hordes.

So I finally picked up RE Revelations and I wasn't really sure what to expect, but this game really convinced me right after the first level, this old RE 4 feeling was back but the setting reminded me of the first one's mansion, the enemies are strong and can take a lot of damage, I often ran out and had to go for the good old knife, sometimes I even ran cause I didn't stand a chance against them.

You can never be too sure what's lurking around the next corner and if you can beat it (at least on hard), that is exactly what I've been missing in RE, you can't fool around as much as in RE 4 since there is never enough space and you have to make your moves with much caution. The whole ship feels like a hostile place and is well designed, the sound's great too.

About the graphics, yes it is not as nice as RE 6, textures and effects aren't that great but well I didn't care because the game was a lot of fun.

Really, if you liked the old REs and especially 4 this game really is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars I thought it would suck but thankfully i was wrong!, 30 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Resident Evil Revelations (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Having gone through the roller coaster ride over the years of the resident evil games i was very sceptical about this one! When i begun the game and saw that they had made it so that you play a segment as different characters i almost turned it off but i am glad a kept on playing. They have done something right with this game and i cannot work out what it is but suffice to say it is an enjoyable storyline with some good game play. I am very much a resident evil fan and it would be difficult not to rate a game or movie just on the basis that it is resident evil however this one is worth playing and is good fun. The story is verging on the downright desperate now though having been done to death in different variations a multitude of times but somehow that makes it quite fun too?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Resident Evil at its best., 20 July 2013
This review is from: Resident Evil Revelations (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Thank goodness for Revelations. After the last few poor attempts at a Resident Evil game they have returned to the original format but actually improved it. I thought the last few games were quite poor but this is really good.

5.0 out of 5 stars 100 times better than res 6, 17 July 2013
This review is from: Resident Evil Revelations (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This game has restored my faith in resi games the last 2 lost complete direction. Although not as good as resi one to four it still has that feel I am playing resi and not some bad shooter with no puzzles no suspense and just frustration.puzzle keys symbols that resi and frights.

Resident Evil Revelations (Xbox 360)