5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent higher performance 2.5" HDD
I purchased a few of these drives, some for laptops and one for a quiet PC build - desktop. Very impressed with the performance (real world booting up and speed overall for a normal HDD) I did a few tests comparing it to the 7K1000C 3.5" boot drive I used in the desktop.

Published 18 months ago by Mr Baz

1.0 out of 5 stars So it still sucks. Had many many issues with this drive and ...
UPDATE: I think the issue is that it is not fully compatible with macs. Having formatted the raw disk as MOS-DOS and then creating partitions in Mac OS Extended (Journaled), the problem seems to have gone away. However, this means I cannot boot from this drive. So it still sucks.

Had many many issues with this drive and it's not even been two days. every time I...
Published 5 months ago by Christian G.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent higher performance 2.5" HDD, 2 Oct. 2013
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hitachi HTS721010A9E630 Travelstar 7K1000 1000 GB Internal (Personal Computers)

Bottom line is the 2.5" Hitachi was quicker all round than the 3.5" desktop Hitachi, despite both being 7200rpm and both having a large buffer (32mb) Sequential read and write speeds were very good around 130mb/s, and even smaller file sizes showed a notable gain in performance over the desktop drive (see picture uploaded for performance benchmark)

The drives are quiet, have a low vibration and good performance. It's well worth looking at a 7200rpm drive if you are not going down the SSD road yet. Whilst some of the 5400 drives are quite good, the extra edge in performance makes it a good choice for a boot drive.

My quick fire list of good and bad...

+ Very good peformance for a 7200rpm 2.5" HDD
+ Quiet with low vibration and accoustic noise (good choice for quiet pc enthusiasts for desktops too)
+ Larger 32mb buffer (most slower rpm drives are 8 or 16mb)
+ Reasonable price for 1TB of storage
+ Works with consoles PS3/PS4 etc with no issues

- None I can think of bar the obvious, an SSD is going to be quicker of course, but offer less storage space and cost more (SSD's are getting cheaper though) Hitachi do a 5400 rpm drive that is quite adequate for most needs (ie storage)

For quiet PC folks looking for dampen down the noise and vibration of 3.5", but not hurt their performance this is a great choice if you are sticking to traditional hard drives. I would suggest purchasing a pack of Scythe Twin Mounter 2.5 Rev.C, 2.5 to 3.5inch Adapters. They have rubber mounts to absorb any minor vibrations and allow 2 drives to be fitted to one normal 3.5" bay. My test pc has gone from a notable "rumble with vibration problems" to effectively near silent with very little HDD noise present. Power consumption is also reduced thanks to the smaller drives.

For laptop users you will be pleased with the performance too, it's likely quite a bit faster if you are replacing an older laptop hard drive.

Excellent hard drives well worth looking at these (WD blue's are also good, this has the edge performance wise though)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performer, 12 Dec. 2013
1. Choosing a drive:

I spent a lot of time looking for a replacement drive for my 'Early 2011' 17" MacBook Pro' as the original 500Gb 7200rpm drive had run out of space.

Most of the research I did was spent trying to decide whether to go for an SSD, a hybrid drive or this one as a primary drive (I may add a second drive in the superdrive bay at a later date, but that's a different issue).

At the time of purchase, this drive was £65 and an equivalent sized SSD £400. In the end, I was so happy with the speed of my original 7200rpm drive, even when it was full, that I decided the massive difference in price between an SSD and this bargain-priced drive was not justifiable. My decision was finalised when a friend happened to use my Mac and appeared impressed by the speed of a 2 year old machine with a full HDD, questioning the move to SSD. From full shut down, my system is fully functioning in less than 2 minutes and manages all but the most demanding tasks with relative ease. There are some users who move a lot of large files around or spend their time primarily editing video, who may benefit from SSD technology, but for me, an occasional photo editor, internet surfer and document writer etc, this drive is more than adequate. I was also put off by some users who had various difficulties updating the firmware etc. on the Crucial SSD M500 drives before they would work properly in a Mac, which sounded like a lot of hassle and headache.

2. The Drive in Use:

I have been using the drive for 2 weeks now and am very pleased with the upgrade. It is similar to the speed of my old drive, with possibly slightly faster operation due to the larger 32MB cache and 6Gb/s interface, as opposed to the 16MB cache and 3Gb/s of my older drive. It is only very slightly louder than the stock Mac drive: I never was able to hear my old drive at any time (which actually was disconcerting at times as I find it helpful to know when there is a lot of drive activity in a computer, especially when it seems to be unresponsive), but I do hear the faintest drive noise from this one as it operates. Still very, very quiet though. I haven't noticed any increased heat production or significant reduction in battery life, which were also concerns, (unfounded or not... I haven't tried one), with using a hybrid. I have a lot of faith in these Travelstar drives, as it was the only one of several drives that worked flawlessly in my PS3; I placed one in my PS3 a couple of years ago and it still is going strong. Incidentally, the stock Mac drive also is a HGST, the same brand as this one!

3. Moving your system onto the drive:

Another aspect of replacing the drive, which consumed many hours, was finding the best way to transfer my system onto the new drive. Most people seem to clone the drive, but I wanted to perform a fresh install of OSX and transfer all my documents and settings following this. I thought I would describe this below as I found it difficult to find this information on the internet.

I bought an external USB hard disk caddy, which I am now using to house my old drive and therefore act now as a backup drive.

The data transfer process with OSX Mavericks was fairly simple. You just go to Mavericks in the Mac App store and, if you already have that OS installed, you can click 'download' and it will download the Mavericks installer into your app folder. Once this is fully downloaded, you run it and can instruct it to perform a fresh install onto your new disk (formatted to 'Mac OS Extended (journalled)' in disk utility first), connected via USB in its caddy. Once this completes (took a couple of hours to download the installer and approx. 20 minutes to install it on the new drive), your Mac will restart and boot from the new drive. The new drive then acts as a fresh Mac system, while your old drive in your computer lies dormant. I then used 'migration assistant' in utilities to transfer all of my documents and settings onto the new drive. As I transferred around 400Gb, this took around 7 hours.

Following this, I had almost a full clone of my existing system, without having to mess around with any cloning software. I also think the fresh install may have increased the speed of my system a little. The only thing I did notice with this method, which may not happen in a full clone, is that some services required me to fill in my login details and password, as if I had never used them before. However, once I did this, all my previous settings and data were present in all the apps. Everything, including Aperture 3 and iTunes, with their relevant libraries, appear to be working flawlessly. Apps are updating normally from the App store and now I would not know that my system is 'fresh' if I did not know a new drive had been installed.

After the migration was complete, it was a case of opening my MacBook and swapping the drive from the caddy with the original drive and rebooting. (there are numerous, easy to follow guides on the internet and YouTube about this; note that you will need some small cross-headed screwdrivers to open your casing and a T6 Torx screwdriver to replace the drive). I found this fairly simple and took 5 minutes, with the right tools.

Hope this helps to save others time making the decision and installing the drive.

I'll post an update in a few months about the drive's performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement drive for MacBook Pro, 18 Dec. 2013
Mr. G. Moore "Gary Moore" (Blackpool, Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this drive to replace the 500GB Hitachi in my 2012 MacBook Pro.

This is faster by what appears to be a factor or 2. Probably not so in a proper bench test, but to the casual eye, Excel opens in half the time and some of my bigger spreadsheets open far quicker too.

This is a quiet drive when the laptop is on my lap - haven't put my ear next to it but why would I?

Can't say I notice any more heat from it either. In my last MBP I bought a 7200rpm drive and that too speeded up my computer, but I did notice the fans being on a lot. Not so with this one.

Haven't done a startup test but I'm never around watching it start up anyway.

For general day to day use as my main drive, I'm very happy. Was considering the Seagate XT with the SSD combo which is more expensive. Read reviews on that and got conflicting advice. Can't say which is faster, but I CAN say that I don't care if the Seagate is faster because this is as fast as I need.

Haven't done any big tests like ripping or converting a movie, but as I wouldn't sit around watching that anyway, I don't really care if this drive can be beaten cos I bet it won't be beaten by much.

For general use, this is excellent and well worth the extra few pounds for a faster drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfect with PS4, 2 Dec. 2013
I purchased this drive to replace the standard 500GB drive in the PS4, and it is working perfectly.
Obviously I dont have anything to compare the speed to, but I wanted to report 100% success with the PS4 HD replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars PS4 hard drive replacement, 10 May 2014
I purchased this drive after running out of hard drive space on my new PS4 just after launch. This drive is the exact same make and series type that come's factory fitted in most UK ps4's. The only difference being that this one is twice the size of the original (1tb vs 500gb) and its also faster (7200rpm vs 5400rpm original). Taking out the original drive was a breeze. Unplug the ps4 and slide off the glossy top panel(no screws or awkward clips), undo the 1 securing screw on the caddy and slide it out. From there just undo the 4 screws securing the hard drive itself and swap the drives over(Then do the reverse of the removal process to refit. From here you will need a USB drive(memory stick) bigger than 1gb in size(I used a 4gb one), then go onto a PC. You will need to download the PS4 update 1.70(current at time of writing), which will be around 735mb in size. It is found on Sony's UK playstation support page. It is called PS4UPDATE.PUP. Once you have it, clear(format) the USB memory stick and create a folder on it (In capital letters) called PS4, then create a folder inside the PS4 folder called UPDATE(using capital letters). Once this is done copy PS4UPDATE.PUP into that UPDATE folder. Then you are ready to power up the PS4, insert the USB memory stick at this point. Once you power up the PS4 you need to plug the controller into the PS4 using a USB cable. The console will go into safe mode and prompt you to search on the USB memory stick for the update. From here it will now setup the hard drive by itself. I found the whole process quite easy to do and the best part of all is, IT DOES NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY* *Found this out on Sony's UK forums on the playstation site Q&A's.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance 7200rpm 2.5" drive, 21 May 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

My quick fire list of good and bad...

+ Very good peformance for a 7200rpm 2.5" HDD
+ Larger 32mb buffer (most slower rpm drives are 8 or 16mb)
+ Reasonable price for 1TB of storage
+ Works with consoles PS3/PS4 etc with no issues

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For Upgrading, 26 April 2014
Purchased this product to upgrade my PS4 HDD from 500GB. Works perfectly and does the job.

Highly recommend for PS4 upgrade.

5.0 out of 5 stars HDD review, 12 July 2014
I've had this HDD for a week now. It was to compliment my SSD which was only a 250GB. Delivery was on point but the packaging could have been better with just cardboard around the actual HDD. Regardless the HDD came in good condition and nothing was damaged or marked.

Installation was easy but for windows 8 to recognise the drive you have to meddle around the device management settings. The tweak was easy and took no longer than 5 mins.

Using this HDD primarily for Sound and Video recording and editing. It's really quiet when using which is always good. Battery usage is barely noticeable. If you are a sound engineer or anything in the creative field for editing it is a fast hdd and loads up samples and videos at a good speed.

WOULD DEFINATELY RECOMMEND

5.0 out of 5 stars Proven to be a good drive for a laptop upgrade, 7 Jan. 2014
I bought my drive to upgrade a 15" Macbook Pro (mid-2010) from it's installed 320Gb drive to 1TB in order to run my existing Snow Leopard version of OSX alongside the latest Mavericks edition, in a dual boot arrangement. The old drive was 9mm thick which is the maximum that will fit.

Having done some research I found this Hitachi drive was compatible whereas a lot of SSD and hybrids appeared less compatible. In the past I have used 750Gb Seagate Momentus drives but these are no longer available from my usual suppliers and in any case the Hitachi has the larger capacity.

I put the old drive in a USB caddy and installed the Hitachi in my laptop without difficulty. I failed to clone the old system from the old drive for a number of reasons I won't go into here so I did a clean install of Snow Leopard then partitioned the drive 500/500Gb in order to install Mavericks on the other side. All this went to plan and the drive has performed very well since. The drive is clearly faster than my original 5400rpm Hitachi but I was more surprised to find the new drive is virtually silent. The old one was quite audible but even listening up close I can barely hear this one.

I was a bit apprehensive tinkering with my Mac but now that I have completed the job I am delighted with the performance of this drive and can thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for PS4! Mixes Storage with great speed (7200RPM!!), 18 Dec. 2013
If you want a HDD that you know will last then I can recommend this, while it is a bit expensive at the moment over time it will decrease.

This provides value for money of SSD's that the PS4 will see some benifit form but aren't justified as they can only be fully utilized in a PC or laptop that is why this is good as it is 1tb and 7200rpm, i struggled to find one of these on the market and I can say it mixes storage and speed to create an all-round great purchase.

If you need any additional information comment on this review and I will get back to you as soon as possible.