Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

Joe Cocker has still got it. I was 14 years old when With A Little Help From My Friends came out and stood me on my ear, and I thought at the time that Cocker's throat would be in shreds by the end of the song, never mind 44 years later. But no - all the power and emotion is still there in the vocals on this album and he shows that he is a truly great and enduring rock and blues singer. The band is excellent - punchy and empathetic with some fine guitar work, solid bass and prominent drums - and the production is very good. The production is rich with fine backing vocals which aren't over-done and you know that you are listening to a classy product.

The one problem with the album is some of the material, in my view. Much of it is excellent - the title track is a belter, for example, but some tracks like I'll Be your Doctor don't really add up to much. Cocker and the band give it everything, of course, but in the end fine performances can't really compensate for a weak song.

This album isn't an undiluted classic but is still well worth getting for the good stuff, of which there is a lot and which I've played and enjoyed repeatedly. Recommended to anyone who likes Joe Cocker's work or just enjoys fine, bluesey rock which is well produced and very well performed.

Addendum, 22 December 2014:
Thanks for everything, Joe.
You are beyond our help now, but your friends will miss you.
Go well.
on 2 March 2013
Genuinely one of the best blues, rock, soul albums I've ever heard. Fantastic songwriting with sublime musicianship coupled with one of the most honest, heartfelt and grittiest vocal performances you are ever likely to hear adds up to a massive success for Joe Cocker.
If the press reports are accurate then this album is scheduled to be Cocker's swan song. If this is true he will have finished at the top of his game with probably his finest album ever! Truly fantastic Joe!
on 22 February 2013
Joe Cocker raw and rockin !! brilliant album. I would say its its one of the best albums I own. Love it.
on 5 November 2013
Meets every expectation, already have album, bought it for a friend they love it. Joe Cocker is fab got other recordings from way way back when you lot were still at school! 5 STARS
on 29 November 2013
Well it never ceases to amaze me but Joe Cocker keeps supplying the goods. Yet another winner with new songs and a very upbeat feel. Excellent , love it,
on 7 October 2013
Great songs from a brilliant singer. its a really easy way to get your music with out leaving the comfort of your arm chair
on 1 March 2013
fantastic album which arrived very quickly after the release date - excellent price as well - would definitely use again
on 21 February 2013
It's Joe Cocker at his usual high quality. I don't love every track as they are so predictably good, where the rest are predictably
'bob-on'. Not a bad track on here & as usual his band is tight. I don't think this album's as strong as 'Hard Knocks' although the title track 'Fire It Up' is the strongest track by far across both albums.
on 28 March 2013
We all know that Joe Cocker used to be good value for money - well he still is! He starts off with Fire It Up, which has got instant "likeability" and then you're away. The more you listen to it, the more you like the whole album. Well, OK, there's still one or two tracks that I am not really raving about yet, but I expect they will win me over in time - and no, I'm not going to tell you which ones they are. Just go buy it and make up your own list. Oh yes, and as a bonus, you get a free DVD with tracks filmed in Los Angeles. How can you go wrong?
on 19 February 2013
Have been buying Joe's albums for the past 30 years - all good. But, this is certainly one of the best to date. The album is getting a lot of airplay, especially on Radio 2 (!!!), so maybe this is the one that could break for Joe. Some good songs, powerful voice (still), but always superb musicians. I've noticed over the past few years how his albums have improved so much, thanks mainly to the musicians whom he gets to back him - a much 'fuller' sound, and probably some of the best in their field. Let's hope that this continues!