5.0 out of 5 stars Very versatile but you need a steady hand
Published 20 months ago by Bob

3.0 out of 5 stars TaoTronics handheld scanner
When scanning documents which are narrower than the scanner, it is difficult to avoid twisting the scanner. This results in skewed images. OK for text but unsatisfactory for photographs. Otherwise a neat item, but for some tasks, e.g. calibration for white levels, the process seemed not exactly to follow the instructions, perhaps due to translation into English.
Published 20 months ago by Coppice

5.0 out of 5 stars Very versatile but you need a steady hand, 12 Aug. 2013
Bob (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: TaoTronics®Cordless Handheld Scanner (300, 600, 900 DPI, Colour & Mono, JPG / PDF Format, Micro SD Card Input, OCR Software Included) (Electronics)
I have a couple of flat bed scanners but when I was offered this free to test and review I was intrigued as I have never used a wand type scanner before and could something as small produce the sort of results I get on my other scanners. The answer is yes and no, if you want to do volume scanning of A4 sheets get something else but if you want something that is very versatile and will even scan the paintings on the wall and a page from your Kindle then this is for you.
Primarily I wanted something to scan till receipts as I keep a spreadsheet record of all my expenditure and wanted to associate a scanned image with each spreadsheet entry. For this it is brilliant even at the low resolution (300dpi) at the highest resolution (900dpi) it does a very respectable scan of a colour photograph.
I have posted 3 scans in customer images, I have deliberately included these as although they show the quality of the scans they also show how you need a steady hand, I am improving with practice. I am sure most people will do better from the start.
EDIT After lots of practice I am now getting superb results I have now posted a customer image of the same photo of a panda but scanned with a much steadier hand (It seems to have been slightly cropped in the publishing process, I do not know why). I have also posted a copy of the original photograph, although Amazon reduce the resolution, so it is difficult to compare the photo was originally 5Mb in size, the scanned version seems to have more vivid colours, I particularly noticed the brownish red patch on the panda's head.

It is extremely easy to use all you have to do is put in batteries (It uses 2 X AA disposable batteries which is actually an advantage as you can always carry spares) and a micro SD card (be careful when you put the SD card in it goes contacts upwards which seemed to me to be the wrong way) and once you have set the time and gone through the calibration process you are ready to scan.
To scan simply select the resolution either 300dpi, 600dpi or 900dpi (the default is 300dpi which is fine for till receipts but you need a higher resolution for colour photographs) and the type of image JPG or PDF. Then press the scan button the green scan light comes on and slowly move the scanner across the image to be scanned once you get as far as you want to scan press scan again and the scan light goes off and the scan count goes up one.
If you scan too fast then a red error light comes up however I found that even when this happened the scan was often still useable.
If found that with till receipts it was actually easier to hold the scanner still and pull the till receipt through as this prevented it moving. On the underside of the scanner are 4 rollers which are certainly adequate to hold the scanner against even quite thin pieces of paper.
Once you have scanned to get the scans to your PC simply connect the supplied usb lead between the scanner and the PC and the scanner looks like a memory card and you can copy the images to wherever you want. If you have set the time all of the scans are time stamped, this is useful as it is a single directory structure and you need to be able to find the scans you want I have used a 16gb card and this will hold approx. 1760 scans highest resolution and 13600 scans lowest resolution.
It comes with a handy pouch to protect the scanner a usb lead and a mini dvd which contains ABBYY Fine Reader 9.0 Sprint a reasonable OCR programme which will integrate with Internet Explorer or Word. NOTE it will not integrate with Word 2013 and you need to deselect the option if you are running this version of word.
IN SUMMARY:
An excellent scanner so long as you have a steady hand (This will be applicable to any scanner of this type) and are not expecting to get the results you do from a flat bed scanner but much more versatile. There are so many times that I have been out when I would have liked to have scanned something and this can now live in my briefcase.
UPDATE
I never read other reviews until I have completed mine I have now done so and one other reviewer was complaining that to delete images you have to format the card, although this will certainly work it is not needed. I just right click on the images I want select CUT and then PASTE them to where I want them. They delete from the scanner and the scan count decreases appropriately.
I also did not find that the object being scanned slipped the 4 rollers seemed more than adequate to hold the thing being scanned. My hand wobbled but that is a different thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars TaoTronics TT-DS001 900DPI, 9 May 2013
Just received this and am over the moon never expected it to be so good
so simple to use on testing got very good results

4.0 out of 5 stars The TaoTronic scanner is a very good portable, easy to use device, 27 Dec. 2013
I was considering purchasing this device and sent a few detailed enquiries to TaoTronics. They responded very quickly with the required information and subsequently offered me a scanner and Micro SD memory card for free to review.
I have a fair amount of experience with both office and home scanners and a few years ago also bought a hand held scanner of a different type and make. My particular interest is in optical character recognition (OCR).
I assembled the TaoTronics scanner as directed in the instruction manual and set the time and date etc. The manual is not particularly comprehensive, but the operation of the device is simple and intuitive. The initial set up is a bit fiddly, but once done it can be left alone. Operation of the scanner is very straight forward and good results can be obtained from first usage. It is particularly good for scanning books where curvature of the pages can cause problems for flat bed scanners. By altering the orientation of the scanner - the light and sensors are on one side the wheels are on the other - the pages can be scanned close in to the spine. I have on very few occasions obtained a scan with the text as a mirror image, which can be very easily remedied with various software packages (not supplied with this scanner). From the OCR perspective the file type option of jpeg/ pdf is very useful as pdfs of texts lend themselves to being transformed to editable text more readily. I have only scanned using the highest resolution as the resultant file sizes are quite modest. A 8GB card was supplied which can hold something of the order of 3000 pages. This can be increased by the insertion of a larger card, up to a 32 GB limit.
Scanning of photographs is also easily done to either jpeg or pdf. Although it does not produce scans of the same quality as a flatbed scanner the general result is very fair. Any tendency to waver on the part of the operator can result in some slight distortion. If this is important then better results can be obtained by using a guide e.g. the back of a book. Some problems can occur when the image has no margin. In these cases when starting a scan the wheels can catch on the edge and cause the scanner to skew - however by placing a card frame around or card strips on either side this can be overcome.
Data transfer to a PC is easy and fast via the USB lead supplied and I have had some very good results with OCR. One feature which could be improved from my view point is that when the scanner is switched off and then back on the default settings return i.e. jpeg & low resolution whereas I would have switched off with pdf and high resolution.
I've not used the software on the mini disk supplied with the scanner as my latest spec laptop is not capable of reading it, having a slot rather than a dual disk tray. However my standard software packages have no problem in handling the downloaded data.
My previous hand scanner, purchased some years ago, produced very poor results. The TaoTronics scanner is in a different league entirely.
Although scanning of pages is relatively fast, any bulk scanning would probably be better done on a different type of scanner.
I can't say what durability is like as it's early days.
IN SUMMARY : the TaoTronic scanner is a very good portable, easy to use device and will certainly be very useful to me. From the OCR perspective it will fit the bill with my requirements for usage in libraries etc.
I'm a "hard marker" hence no 5 stars - there's always room for improvement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little piece of kit. Useful for scanning from thick books and bills. Very portable. Please see youtube review, 26 Sept. 2013
2013 New Model" - TaoTronics® TT-DS001 Mobile Scanner Handheld Scanner Document Scanner 900DPI Colour & Mono Handyscan For Document, Photo, Receipts, Books + JPG / PDF Format Selection

I have reviewed this handy little scanner on my YouTube channel [...] and if this link is deleted by the moderators then please search YouTube for this video review watch?v=5RM5M8sOtf0 if interested. You need to watch the quality of the scanning and the ease of using this scanner.

PLUS POINTS
- Reasonable priced accessory that works well with laptops, android devices or any USB OTG phone or tablet
- Would be very useful for students to scan photos and tables from thick books for projects as its a pain using a flatbed scanner for scanning bits from thick books.
- Will be useful for people who work from location or travelling salesmen
- It scans long strip of bills, patterns on cloth, books, cards in black and white and color very nicely.
- I was surprised with the good quality of the scans even in low quality and in high quality my video reviews shows that it even picks up the thread in the patterns of the bedsheet scanned by me and very nice quality images and text even at 300% zoom
- Easy acess to all features including microsd card and battery compartment
- OCR software included but I didnt use it so cant comment on its usefulness but its there if you need it.
- Very portable, powered by AA battery, easy to use, comes with sleek pouch, good manual
- Will be nice to scan personalised cards made by my child for her grandparents and email the photo to them without needing to use the big scanners.
- People interested in geneology will find this useful for scanning little bits of info for their family tree.

NEGATIVE POINTS
- Sorry i couldnt find any negative points! Wish I had got something like this long ago. This was the first time I used a portable scanner and I have two flat bed scanner at home and would gladly use this portable scanner for scanning photos and tables for my presentations for teaching purposes. Wish i has had this earlier as life would have been easier trying to scan small bits from thick books.
- You need a steady hand but its very easy and didnt have issues with errors, even the long strip of billing was easy to scan with only minor errors but still very easy to read.
- If you need to scan entire books or manuals then you are better off using a flatbed scanner. This will be useful for smaller jobs and on the move jobs.

Very pleased to have been given the opportunity to review this excellent product. I never imagined that a portable handheld scanner could be this good at resolution and colour accuracy and text sharpness. I will be using this product for a long while for scanning stuff for my teaching presentations at work and scanning all my old photos at my mums place abroad on my next holiday so that my child can see them at her leisure.

Disclaimer: I received this product free for honest review purposes and have had it for almost two weeks now before writing my review. You can see from my youtube review (link given above) that what i have said here is an honest reflection of the quality of the scanning.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nifty device, great as a hand scanner, awkward as a desktop scanner…, 5 July 2014
DARKcell - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
DISCLOSURE:
I was kindly supplied this item free of charge to test and evaluate. In exchange, I agreed to provide an honest review detailing my thoughts. This is said review.

---- MY VERDICT ----

A nifty gadget that’s fantastic as a hand scanner, but feels clumsy as a multi-page / volume desktop scanner. I guess that's not surprising as its primary function is a hand scanner, and anything else is secondary.

---- WHAT'S IN THE BOX? ----

- Instruction manual
- Cleaning cloth
- White Balance Calibration Card

---- INITIAL IMPRESSIONS ----

Initial impressions are positive: the box is neatly packed, the product is smart and appears to be of high quality.

---- INITIAL USE / SETUP ----

I dived in, perhaps not having read the instructions as thoroughly as I should. I will briefly outline the issue that occurred, through my lack of patience.

There are two possible sources of power: battery, or via USB. Not having 6 AAs to hand, I opted for the latter and connected the USB to my computer. I pressed the on button, the screen lit up (exactly as the instructions said they should) and then after a few seconds, an image of a PC with a USB cable came up. It was at this point that I got stuck. Feeling slightly impatient, I wanted to feed some paper through and scan something. The paper was sucked through, an appropriate whirring sound is heard, and the screen reads “SCAN”, but nothing else happened. What I didn’t realise was that there are two modes: a) connected to PC just for power, and b) connected to PC to use Magiscan software. By default, when you turn the device on, it will go to the second mode. The solution: as soon as you have turned the device on, press the up or down arrow to change mode - it is now only connected to the PC for power, and will scan and save documents to the memory card. With this problem solved, it’s now fairly intuitive to change the settings and scan documents.

---- DEVICE IN USE ----

Right at the start you have a few options:

- Power source: can be operated with batteries (6 AAs) or powered by your computer via a USB lead
- Docking - can be used as a 'wand' or attached to a simple docking station that auto feeds a single sheet of paper (up to A4)
- Output format: JPEG or PDF
- DPI: 300, 600 or 900
- Output: colour or B&W
- Mode - can choose to scan directly to your PC or to a microSD memory card (8GB supplied)

Connected to the PC for power only, scanning is straightforward. When using the docking station you can feed individual sheets of paper (up to A4) into the device, the sheet is sucked through, saved to the memory card, and a brief preview is shown on the screen. Pretty straightforward. Remove the docking station and the device comes into a world of its own. Powered by batteries it is truly portable: you can leave your computer at home and scan while on the move. Of course, if portability isn’t important, you can still power it by USB. Scanning is simple: hit ‘scan’ and move the wand over the document you want to scan. Keep your movements slow and steady and the scan quality is good. I was surprised how easy this is – even on my first pass, I was achieving very good quality hand scans. Slow and steady is obviously crucial.

The device also comes with software to a) insert scanned images directly into a WORD document (or other document), b) OCR, and c) scan business cards. The software is functional but not snazzy. When in the communicate with PC mode, open the software, select ‘picture direct’ and scan your document. The image will be inserted into the WORD doc (or other that you have open). Handy! The OCR software is okay – it was confused by my handwriting (but so were my school teachers); it seemed to manage reasonably well with printed text. I didn't try the business card reader - suspect most people have apps on their phones if they need to scan business cards. The quality of the scan is unquestionable, and it’s remarkably easy to use as a hand scanner. You can also connect to tablets (I think this requires a separate connection kit) to read the SD card from the tablet. I’ve not tested this functionality.

---- MORE THOUGHTS ----

Think carefully about why you want this device / what you will use it for. I wanted it to scan receipts, bank statements, the odd letter, and other documents - ie partly as a hand scanner and partly in lieu of a desktop scanner. As a handscanner it’s fantastic – a nifty little gadget – but as a desktop / volume scanner, it’s mediocre. As you’d expect, it only feeds one page through at a time. Unfortunately (unless I missed something else in the instructions) each page is saved as a separate file - you can’t scan multiple pages into a single PDF document. This was an important requirement for me. After some thinking I found a workaround: use the Magiscan software to scan directly into WORD and then resave as a PDF once complete. This worked, but feels like a clumsy solution to a relatively simple problem. I tried to scan a 43 page document using the docking station and the Magiscan software, as outlined above. After 29 pages the WORD doc was 390MB large, and crashed... although, when I converted it to PDF it reduced to around 1MB. My verdict: a nifty gadget that’s fantastic as a hand scanner, but feels clumsy as a multi-page / volume desktop scanner. I guess that's not surprising as that's not what it was made to do. I found workarounds for most of my use cases, and although slightly time consuming I suspect I’ll happily use this device for a few years.

OVERVIEW
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes, if they’re after a hand-scanner and not looking to use it in lieu of desktop scanner.

PROS:
✓ Sleek and smart
✓ Light weight
✓ Portable
✓ PDF and JPEG
✓ 3 choices for DPI
✓ Can select B&W or colour
✓ Comes with OCR software

CONS:
✗ Not a replacement for a desk top scanner if you want to do multi-page / volume scanning

✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent results when scanning pages from hardback books, 30 Jun. 2014
JB (Chudleigh, Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I was sent this hand-held scanner for review purposes and after using it now for a couple of weeks I can say that it has performed very well indeed. I have mostly used it to scan images and text from old hard back books that can not easily be scanned in a conventional flat-bed scanner.

The device measures approximately 26 x 3.5 x 2.5 cm (L, W, D) and weighs in at around 220g with 3AAA batteries fitted (not supplied); incidentally it works perfectly well on rechargeable cells. It is supplied with:

a metre-long USB lead
a cleaning cloth
a textile carry / storage bag
a card for calibrating white balance (did not need to use it)
a guide
a disk with scan / OCR software.

The scanner can be used without the USB lead when batteries are inserted, but you will need a micro SD card. Set up is intuitive, and although the manual is a sensible size, I preferred to download instructions from the manufacturer's website.

In use, as others have noted, have a few practise attempts first. The image can be viewed on the scanner's 1.4 TFT colour screen and provides quite sharp resolution, certainly enough to decide if the image quality is sufficient for intended purposes.

Even though I'm mostly using the scanner on my computer desk, I prefer to use it wire-free because there's less chance of the cable getting snagged. Once plugged into the PC I can download the images to my computer using the supplied software, which is quite capable, or my own. I have managed to get pretty good results with the scanner's default settings.

The build quality is excellent as are the results; there are bound to be lots of varied uses for this scanner and for scanning pages from books without damaging the spine, this has been superb (and better than taking a photograph with my phone's camera too).

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars portable and effective hand-held scanner, 12 Jun. 2014
R de Bulat (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I had a hand scanner back in the 90's as a cheap alternative to what was then the prohibitive cost of any kind of flat-bed scanner: it was 10cm wide and wasn't that good, really. Nowadays, flatbed scanners, with the exception of high end reprographic ones, are relatively cheap and, as a few people I asked about this item said, why do you need a scanner when you have a phone? How technology moves on. I was offered this scanner to review and was interested in it for a number of reasons: firstly making a copy using a phone is not necessarily best if you want or require accurate reproduction - lens distortion, less than perfectly flat copy, etc. can skew the results and cameras require a proper copy set up for similar reasons. You can't always have a flatbed scanner with you and this device has the benefit of portability with the ability of copying things perfectly flat, since the item to copy must pass under its rollers. It comes with a small cloth carry case and takes up a small space in your luggage or briefcase. so portability and accuracy in copying is going to be the main advantage of this scanner - where quality matters, in other words.

The scaner requires 3 AAA batteries to operate and a micro SD card, which are not included and comes with a carry case, USB connector, a small lens cleanining cloth, OCR software and a small manual that I merely glanced at, but there are some set up procedures, so ypu might want to have more than a glance in order to save time experimenting. It can scan in colour or black and white, at 300, 600 or 900 dpi and in jpeg or pdf format. Since most printed matter is still 300 dpi, this performs quite well, with good colour reproduction, although not perfect, but then perfection in reprographics comes at a high price. It has a guide to alert you if you are attempting to scan too quickly, but while the process is not quick, it is not painfully slow either, taking seconds, not minutes to scan an A4 page. For anyone who has a need for this sort of product, it is a good piece of kit. Out put as a jpeg, scans can be downloaded to a computer quickly and easily and, if required, be given some post-production editing and photoshop or the like. My intended use is in the production of artworks, but most people will have convention uses.

In assessing its star value, I have to reiterate that there is probably less need for such items as this: technology moves on and the ubiquity of the mobile phones with cameras and such like do appear to make this product of much less value than formerly, but what it does, it does well and I have found little to criticise. If I were to suggest one useful addition, it would be to have the ability to connect it to a phone in order to send scans via email without first downloading to a computer, but that is an addition to what it otherwise does well. As it is, it scans document well and it is highly portable, so 5 stars for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Harry Potters Wand, 19 Jun. 2014
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I received one of these direct from the company to try out. They have not asked for or suggested that I write a favourable review, they have left me to write what I want good or bad. This review is for the TT-DS003 1.4" colour screen (Amazon tend to show reviews from one product under another in the range).

In the box you get a USB connection lead, cleaning cloth, instruction book, software CD, white card for scanner balancing, the scanner and storage pouch. you do not get a Micro-SD card with the scanner, but you can get one free (at the time of review). You need to add the right one to your basket (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DFUP6Q0) It isn't immediately clear that you can get the card free, but the details are on the product page under the heading "Special Offers and Product Promotions"

The connection lead is a standard USB lead and is used for either powering the scanner for use or for transferring data from the Micro-SD card. The micro fibre cleaning cloth is for keeping the glass on the underside free from fingerprints and smudges etc. The CD contains image manipulation and OCR software. I cannot comment on the software as I don't have a CD rom on my notepad, but I was able to use 3rd party software to crop images and read characters etc. The instruction book is understandable, but I only took a glance at it as the whole thing was pretty straight forward to use. The white card is for scanning if you need to do any white balancing, but I have scanned hundreds of photos so far and have yet to do anything with the card.

Onto the scanner itself. The scanner is a solid, light weight, well built wand. It takes 3 x AAA batteries that slot into the side of the wand. It can be powered using the USB cable, but you run the risk of the lead pulling the wand slightly and thus distorting the scan.

When you power up the device you can bring up the menu by tapping the power button briefly. to enter the sub-menu tap the scan button, to change the setting use the up / down buttons. Very simple to use. You can change the following:
1. Colour or Black and White scan
2. Resolution of scan in dots per inch (DPI) - 300, 600, 900
3. Type of scan - jpg or pdf
4. Encrypt - image can only be viewed when looked at through scanner connected via USB cable
5. Set the time and date (will be lost when batteries removed)
6. Format the Micro-SD card - You will lose all data

On the LCD home screen you can press the down arrow to set the resolution or the up arrow to scroll through thumbnails of scanned images.

Using the scanner is straight forward, but practice makes perfect. You need a good flat surface, a steady hand and a little patience. Line up the scanner with the top of the document or picture with the scan button arrow pointing down along the document. Tap the scan button and then move the wand at a steady speed along the document. It won't matter if you momentarily stop as the scanner is intuitive enough to know this. Try to keep the speed constant, but it doesn't matter too much, just don't move too fast or you will see "error" on the screen. Try to keep the wand moving in the same direction you started. If you weren't quite lined up and find you are wandering off the page and try to straighten up, the image will be stretched/compressed. You can always straighten up an image by a few degrees, so it isn't always essential to get the perfect 90 degree scan. When you get to the end of the document or picture stop and tap the scan button (before lifting up the scanner).

If you are scanning a page in a thick book, then you could see some distortion in the image where the spine pulls the page in. You could scan from spine out and use Windows picture viewer to rotate the image, so there is nothing to say that you have to scan the document the right way around. It is all about trial and error, but it won't take long to get the hang of it.

This is all well and good but what it the finished product like? I think the images are pretty good. Text is easily readable and photo scans are as good as the original, but being digital they can be cleaned up for overall improvements to the original (some photo manipulation skills will be required)

I have uploaded a few scans from a book I had perched on my lap and a scan of a photocopied magazine page that is several years old. I am really impressed with the end results. You can scan a document up to A4 width, but the length - I got to 6 pages in a straight line and it could have gone on for more.

For a hand held, fully portable scanner, it works and it works really well. I am impressed with it and think that TaoTronics have a winner with this wand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as USB mass storage; universally compatible, 12 Nov. 2014
Sam Tuke (UK) - See all my reviews
This device is sold under many different brand names. All of them are universally compatible as they connect as a simple USB mass storage device. E.g. all scanning takes place on the device itself (no configuration is done by drivers on your computer) and then pictures are accessible as from a USB memory stick when the scanner is connected.

Works with Linux, Mac, and Windows therefore.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant surprise, 16 Sept. 2014
The product came in a very small box, the scanner works fine and it has surpassed all of my expectations fro a £40 handheld scanner. It truly does scan at high resolutions and the images can be of any length. I use it all the time at Collage and at home scanning work and books as well as receipts and bills.

The only Con with the device so far is how straight i have to keep the device as is scan, Yes I understand the device is handheld and it takes lots of effort on my side, but other than that I have nothing to fault.

The device is good on batteries and it doesn't have a drain on them when powered off. I have showed it off to all of my friends and I have staff asking me to use it too. Best thing i have got so far :D