5.0 out of 5 stars Very versatile but you need a steady hand
Published 22 months ago by Bob

3.0 out of 5 stars TaoTronics handheld scanner
When scanning documents which are narrower than the scanner, it is difficult to avoid twisting the scanner. This results in skewed images. OK for text but unsatisfactory for photographs. Otherwise a neat item, but for some tasks, e.g. calibration for white levels, the process seemed not exactly to follow the instructions, perhaps due to translation into English.
Published 23 months ago by Coppice

5.0 out of 5 stars Very versatile but you need a steady hand, 12 Aug. 2013
Bob (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: TaoTronics®Cordless Handheld Scanner (300, 600, 900 DPI, Colour & Mono, JPG / PDF Format, Micro SD Card Input, OCR Software Included) (Electronics)
I have a couple of flat bed scanners but when I was offered this free to test and review I was intrigued as I have never used a wand type scanner before and could something as small produce the sort of results I get on my other scanners. The answer is yes and no, if you want to do volume scanning of A4 sheets get something else but if you want something that is very versatile and will even scan the paintings on the wall and a page from your Kindle then this is for you.
Primarily I wanted something to scan till receipts as I keep a spreadsheet record of all my expenditure and wanted to associate a scanned image with each spreadsheet entry. For this it is brilliant even at the low resolution (300dpi) at the highest resolution (900dpi) it does a very respectable scan of a colour photograph.
I have posted 3 scans in customer images, I have deliberately included these as although they show the quality of the scans they also show how you need a steady hand, I am improving with practice. I am sure most people will do better from the start.
EDIT After lots of practice I am now getting superb results I have now posted a customer image of the same photo of a panda but scanned with a much steadier hand (It seems to have been slightly cropped in the publishing process, I do not know why). I have also posted a copy of the original photograph, although Amazon reduce the resolution, so it is difficult to compare the photo was originally 5Mb in size, the scanned version seems to have more vivid colours, I particularly noticed the brownish red patch on the panda's head.

It is extremely easy to use all you have to do is put in batteries (It uses 2 X AA disposable batteries which is actually an advantage as you can always carry spares) and a micro SD card (be careful when you put the SD card in it goes contacts upwards which seemed to me to be the wrong way) and once you have set the time and gone through the calibration process you are ready to scan.
To scan simply select the resolution either 300dpi, 600dpi or 900dpi (the default is 300dpi which is fine for till receipts but you need a higher resolution for colour photographs) and the type of image JPG or PDF. Then press the scan button the green scan light comes on and slowly move the scanner across the image to be scanned once you get as far as you want to scan press scan again and the scan light goes off and the scan count goes up one.
If you scan too fast then a red error light comes up however I found that even when this happened the scan was often still useable.
If found that with till receipts it was actually easier to hold the scanner still and pull the till receipt through as this prevented it moving. On the underside of the scanner are 4 rollers which are certainly adequate to hold the scanner against even quite thin pieces of paper.
Once you have scanned to get the scans to your PC simply connect the supplied usb lead between the scanner and the PC and the scanner looks like a memory card and you can copy the images to wherever you want. If you have set the time all of the scans are time stamped, this is useful as it is a single directory structure and you need to be able to find the scans you want I have used a 16gb card and this will hold approx. 1760 scans highest resolution and 13600 scans lowest resolution.
It comes with a handy pouch to protect the scanner a usb lead and a mini dvd which contains ABBYY Fine Reader 9.0 Sprint a reasonable OCR programme which will integrate with Internet Explorer or Word. NOTE it will not integrate with Word 2013 and you need to deselect the option if you are running this version of word.
IN SUMMARY:
An excellent scanner so long as you have a steady hand (This will be applicable to any scanner of this type) and are not expecting to get the results you do from a flat bed scanner but much more versatile. There are so many times that I have been out when I would have liked to have scanned something and this can now live in my briefcase.
UPDATE
I never read other reviews until I have completed mine I have now done so and one other reviewer was complaining that to delete images you have to format the card, although this will certainly work it is not needed. I just right click on the images I want select CUT and then PASTE them to where I want them. They delete from the scanner and the scan count decreases appropriately.
I also did not find that the object being scanned slipped the 4 rollers seemed more than adequate to hold the thing being scanned. My hand wobbled but that is a different thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars TaoTronics TT-DS001 900DPI, 9 May 2013
Just received this and am over the moon never expected it to be so good
so simple to use on testing got very good results

4.0 out of 5 stars The TaoTronic scanner is a very good portable, easy to use device, 27 Dec. 2013
I was considering purchasing this device and sent a few detailed enquiries to TaoTronics. They responded very quickly with the required information and subsequently offered me a scanner and Micro SD memory card for free to review.
I have a fair amount of experience with both office and home scanners and a few years ago also bought a hand held scanner of a different type and make. My particular interest is in optical character recognition (OCR).
I assembled the TaoTronics scanner as directed in the instruction manual and set the time and date etc. The manual is not particularly comprehensive, but the operation of the device is simple and intuitive. The initial set up is a bit fiddly, but once done it can be left alone. Operation of the scanner is very straight forward and good results can be obtained from first usage. It is particularly good for scanning books where curvature of the pages can cause problems for flat bed scanners. By altering the orientation of the scanner - the light and sensors are on one side the wheels are on the other - the pages can be scanned close in to the spine. I have on very few occasions obtained a scan with the text as a mirror image, which can be very easily remedied with various software packages (not supplied with this scanner). From the OCR perspective the file type option of jpeg/ pdf is very useful as pdfs of texts lend themselves to being transformed to editable text more readily. I have only scanned using the highest resolution as the resultant file sizes are quite modest. A 8GB card was supplied which can hold something of the order of 3000 pages. This can be increased by the insertion of a larger card, up to a 32 GB limit.
Scanning of photographs is also easily done to either jpeg or pdf. Although it does not produce scans of the same quality as a flatbed scanner the general result is very fair. Any tendency to waver on the part of the operator can result in some slight distortion. If this is important then better results can be obtained by using a guide e.g. the back of a book. Some problems can occur when the image has no margin. In these cases when starting a scan the wheels can catch on the edge and cause the scanner to skew - however by placing a card frame around or card strips on either side this can be overcome.
Data transfer to a PC is easy and fast via the USB lead supplied and I have had some very good results with OCR. One feature which could be improved from my view point is that when the scanner is switched off and then back on the default settings return i.e. jpeg & low resolution whereas I would have switched off with pdf and high resolution.
I've not used the software on the mini disk supplied with the scanner as my latest spec laptop is not capable of reading it, having a slot rather than a dual disk tray. However my standard software packages have no problem in handling the downloaded data.
My previous hand scanner, purchased some years ago, produced very poor results. The TaoTronics scanner is in a different league entirely.
Although scanning of pages is relatively fast, any bulk scanning would probably be better done on a different type of scanner.
I can't say what durability is like as it's early days.
IN SUMMARY : the TaoTronic scanner is a very good portable, easy to use device and will certainly be very useful to me. From the OCR perspective it will fit the bill with my requirements for usage in libraries etc.
I'm a "hard marker" hence no 5 stars - there's always room for improvement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little piece of kit. Useful for scanning from thick books and bills. Very portable. Please see youtube review, 26 Sept. 2013
2013 New Model" - TaoTronics® TT-DS001 Mobile Scanner Handheld Scanner Document Scanner 900DPI Colour & Mono Handyscan For Document, Photo, Receipts, Books + JPG / PDF Format Selection

I have reviewed this handy little scanner on my YouTube channel [...] and if this link is deleted by the moderators then please search YouTube for this video review watch?v=5RM5M8sOtf0 if interested. You need to watch the quality of the scanning and the ease of using this scanner.

PLUS POINTS
- Reasonable priced accessory that works well with laptops, android devices or any USB OTG phone or tablet
- Would be very useful for students to scan photos and tables from thick books for projects as its a pain using a flatbed scanner for scanning bits from thick books.
- Will be useful for people who work from location or travelling salesmen
- It scans long strip of bills, patterns on cloth, books, cards in black and white and color very nicely.
- I was surprised with the good quality of the scans even in low quality and in high quality my video reviews shows that it even picks up the thread in the patterns of the bedsheet scanned by me and very nice quality images and text even at 300% zoom
- Easy acess to all features including microsd card and battery compartment
- OCR software included but I didnt use it so cant comment on its usefulness but its there if you need it.
- Very portable, powered by AA battery, easy to use, comes with sleek pouch, good manual
- Will be nice to scan personalised cards made by my child for her grandparents and email the photo to them without needing to use the big scanners.
- People interested in geneology will find this useful for scanning little bits of info for their family tree.

NEGATIVE POINTS
- Sorry i couldnt find any negative points! Wish I had got something like this long ago. This was the first time I used a portable scanner and I have two flat bed scanner at home and would gladly use this portable scanner for scanning photos and tables for my presentations for teaching purposes. Wish i has had this earlier as life would have been easier trying to scan small bits from thick books.
- You need a steady hand but its very easy and didnt have issues with errors, even the long strip of billing was easy to scan with only minor errors but still very easy to read.
- If you need to scan entire books or manuals then you are better off using a flatbed scanner. This will be useful for smaller jobs and on the move jobs.

Very pleased to have been given the opportunity to review this excellent product. I never imagined that a portable handheld scanner could be this good at resolution and colour accuracy and text sharpness. I will be using this product for a long while for scanning stuff for my teaching presentations at work and scanning all my old photos at my mums place abroad on my next holiday so that my child can see them at her leisure.

Disclaimer: I received this product free for honest review purposes and have had it for almost two weeks now before writing my review. You can see from my youtube review (link given above) that what i have said here is an honest reflection of the quality of the scanning.

5.0 out of 5 stars TT-DS001 Handheld Scanner 900DPI Color & Mono Handyscan, 10 Jun. 2015
Length:: 4:58 Mins

TaoTronics TT-DS001 Handheld Scanner 900DPI Color & Mono Handyscan For Document, Photo, Receipts, Books + JPG / PDF Format Selection (Micro SD Card, 2ea AA batteries required but not included).

This is perfectly adequate for any small priority job. I would prefer to enter the 21st century with a USB recharging lithium device rather than being tied to AA batteries like a 1998 digital camera. For a high priority job like very old and fragile photographs you will still want a 2400 DPI or better flatbed scanner. But for those simple emergency items you might run across while in the field this is a handy lightweight hardcopy to JPG tool. It would be far better to be 100 miles from nowhere and have and not need it than to need it and not have it. The scanners jPG photo is far superior to a copy made from a coin operated copy machine that was serviced sometime this decade.

I found the initial setup of this devise a bit complicated. I had to go up to the Mall for a package of AA batteries, and an SD card. Having finally secured these three items it was then a breeze. Pop in the batteries, set the whie ballance with the narrow piece of white balance example paper supplied in the shipping box. It has the steps to get to the balance adjusting mode printed on it. I would have set the time and date at that point but I am out of paper clips. The first scan was very simple.

1. Turn it on
2. Toggle the resolution to Medium
3. Set out the item to scan.
4. tap the power/scan button, green light says go.
5. Roll across target surface.
6. tap the Power/Scan button again to toggle the green scanning light off.
7. Plug USB2-mini into scanner
8. Open folder to View files.
9. Navigate to saved JPG file. (Move, copy, delete, as needed)

OR if using SD card reader (save battery time in the field).

7b. press and hold power button until device is in power off state.
8b. pull SD card and insert into reader.
9b. insert reader in desktop USB slot to access the scanned object picture.
10b. Open folder to View files.
11b. Navigate to saved JPG file. (Move, copy, delete, as needed)

So, as you see the preperation of device for startup most difficult part was a saturday trip to the mall. God what a nightmare. Park on the end of the lot, ride a tram to the building, the first two conveniently located stores were sold out of AA and SD cards with a capacity under 16GB. Fortunately the little camera shop on the upper level Rotunda had not been gutted yet.

OCR= Optical Character Recognition software. This is used to scan a page to a text file.
The OCR included with the TaoTronics TT-DS001 is. ABBYY ver.10. If you want to be up to date I am sure you can buy ABBYY version 12 at your convenience. This software is used if you wish to scan to a text file, or PDF, Word, etc.

Up to 900 DPI Resolution. OCR Software can help to edit your scanned document easily. It is possible to take it with you due to its portable and convenient features. Package contents: TaoTronics TT-DS001 Scanner, Cloth, USB cable, CD, Manual, bag, 1 year TaoTronics warranty.

I recently found myself out in the wild needing to copy the scrawled entries on the leaves of a 200 year old family bible that will only see the light of day for a birth or a death. I seriously wish I had one of these in the travel bag. Not perfect or even excellent, it would have been far better than trying to make phone snapshots with bad lighting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nifty device, great as a hand scanner, awkward as a desktop scanner…, 5 July 2014
DARKcell - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
DISCLOSURE:
I was kindly supplied this item free of charge to test and evaluate. In exchange, I agreed to provide an honest review detailing my thoughts. This is said review.

---- MY VERDICT ----

A nifty gadget that’s fantastic as a hand scanner, but feels clumsy as a multi-page / volume desktop scanner. I guess that's not surprising as its primary function is a hand scanner, and anything else is secondary.

---- WHAT'S IN THE BOX? ----

- Instruction manual
- Cleaning cloth
- White Balance Calibration Card

---- INITIAL IMPRESSIONS ----

Initial impressions are positive: the box is neatly packed, the product is smart and appears to be of high quality.

---- INITIAL USE / SETUP ----

I dived in, perhaps not having read the instructions as thoroughly as I should. I will briefly outline the issue that occurred, through my lack of patience.

There are two possible sources of power: battery, or via USB. Not having 6 AAs to hand, I opted for the latter and connected the USB to my computer. I pressed the on button, the screen lit up (exactly as the instructions said they should) and then after a few seconds, an image of a PC with a USB cable came up. It was at this point that I got stuck. Feeling slightly impatient, I wanted to feed some paper through and scan something. The paper was sucked through, an appropriate whirring sound is heard, and the screen reads “SCAN”, but nothing else happened. What I didn’t realise was that there are two modes: a) connected to PC just for power, and b) connected to PC to use Magiscan software. By default, when you turn the device on, it will go to the second mode. The solution: as soon as you have turned the device on, press the up or down arrow to change mode - it is now only connected to the PC for power, and will scan and save documents to the memory card. With this problem solved, it’s now fairly intuitive to change the settings and scan documents.

---- DEVICE IN USE ----

Right at the start you have a few options:

- Power source: can be operated with batteries (6 AAs) or powered by your computer via a USB lead
- Docking - can be used as a 'wand' or attached to a simple docking station that auto feeds a single sheet of paper (up to A4)
- Output format: JPEG or PDF
- DPI: 300, 600 or 900
- Output: colour or B&W
- Mode - can choose to scan directly to your PC or to a microSD memory card (8GB supplied)

Connected to the PC for power only, scanning is straightforward. When using the docking station you can feed individual sheets of paper (up to A4) into the device, the sheet is sucked through, saved to the memory card, and a brief preview is shown on the screen. Pretty straightforward. Remove the docking station and the device comes into a world of its own. Powered by batteries it is truly portable: you can leave your computer at home and scan while on the move. Of course, if portability isn’t important, you can still power it by USB. Scanning is simple: hit ‘scan’ and move the wand over the document you want to scan. Keep your movements slow and steady and the scan quality is good. I was surprised how easy this is – even on my first pass, I was achieving very good quality hand scans. Slow and steady is obviously crucial.

The device also comes with software to a) insert scanned images directly into a WORD document (or other document), b) OCR, and c) scan business cards. The software is functional but not snazzy. When in the communicate with PC mode, open the software, select ‘picture direct’ and scan your document. The image will be inserted into the WORD doc (or other that you have open). Handy! The OCR software is okay – it was confused by my handwriting (but so were my school teachers); it seemed to manage reasonably well with printed text. I didn't try the business card reader - suspect most people have apps on their phones if they need to scan business cards. The quality of the scan is unquestionable, and it’s remarkably easy to use as a hand scanner. You can also connect to tablets (I think this requires a separate connection kit) to read the SD card from the tablet. I’ve not tested this functionality.

---- MORE THOUGHTS ----

Think carefully about why you want this device / what you will use it for. I wanted it to scan receipts, bank statements, the odd letter, and other documents - ie partly as a hand scanner and partly in lieu of a desktop scanner. As a handscanner it’s fantastic – a nifty little gadget – but as a desktop / volume scanner, it’s mediocre. As you’d expect, it only feeds one page through at a time. Unfortunately (unless I missed something else in the instructions) each page is saved as a separate file - you can’t scan multiple pages into a single PDF document. This was an important requirement for me. After some thinking I found a workaround: use the Magiscan software to scan directly into WORD and then resave as a PDF once complete. This worked, but feels like a clumsy solution to a relatively simple problem. I tried to scan a 43 page document using the docking station and the Magiscan software, as outlined above. After 29 pages the WORD doc was 390MB large, and crashed... although, when I converted it to PDF it reduced to around 1MB. My verdict: a nifty gadget that’s fantastic as a hand scanner, but feels clumsy as a multi-page / volume desktop scanner. I guess that's not surprising as that's not what it was made to do. I found workarounds for most of my use cases, and although slightly time consuming I suspect I’ll happily use this device for a few years.

OVERVIEW
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes, if they’re after a hand-scanner and not looking to use it in lieu of desktop scanner.

PROS:
✓ Sleek and smart
✓ Light weight
✓ Portable
✓ PDF and JPEG
✓ 3 choices for DPI
✓ Can select B&W or colour
✓ Comes with OCR software

CONS:
✗ Not a replacement for a desk top scanner if you want to do multi-page / volume scanning

✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent results when scanning pages from hardback books, 30 Jun. 2014
JB (Chudleigh, Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I was sent this hand-held scanner for review purposes and after using it now for a couple of weeks I can say that it has performed very well indeed. I have mostly used it to scan images and text from old hard back books that can not easily be scanned in a conventional flat-bed scanner.

The device measures approximately 26 x 3.5 x 2.5 cm (L, W, D) and weighs in at around 220g with 3AAA batteries fitted (not supplied); incidentally it works perfectly well on rechargeable cells. It is supplied with:

a metre-long USB lead
a cleaning cloth
a textile carry / storage bag
a card for calibrating white balance (did not need to use it)
a guide
a disk with scan / OCR software.

The scanner can be used without the USB lead when batteries are inserted, but you will need a micro SD card. Set up is intuitive, and although the manual is a sensible size, I preferred to download instructions from the manufacturer's website.

In use, as others have noted, have a few practise attempts first. The image can be viewed on the scanner's 1.4 TFT colour screen and provides quite sharp resolution, certainly enough to decide if the image quality is sufficient for intended purposes.

Even though I'm mostly using the scanner on my computer desk, I prefer to use it wire-free because there's less chance of the cable getting snagged. Once plugged into the PC I can download the images to my computer using the supplied software, which is quite capable, or my own. I have managed to get pretty good results with the scanner's default settings.

The build quality is excellent as are the results; there are bound to be lots of varied uses for this scanner and for scanning pages from books without damaging the spine, this has been superb (and better than taking a photograph with my phone's camera too).

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars portable and effective hand-held scanner, 12 Jun. 2014
R de Bulat (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I had a hand scanner back in the 90's as a cheap alternative to what was then the prohibitive cost of any kind of flat-bed scanner: it was 10cm wide and wasn't that good, really. Nowadays, flatbed scanners, with the exception of high end reprographic ones, are relatively cheap and, as a few people I asked about this item said, why do you need a scanner when you have a phone? How technology moves on. I was offered this scanner to review and was interested in it for a number of reasons: firstly making a copy using a phone is not necessarily best if you want or require accurate reproduction - lens distortion, less than perfectly flat copy, etc. can skew the results and cameras require a proper copy set up for similar reasons. You can't always have a flatbed scanner with you and this device has the benefit of portability with the ability of copying things perfectly flat, since the item to copy must pass under its rollers. It comes with a small cloth carry case and takes up a small space in your luggage or briefcase. so portability and accuracy in copying is going to be the main advantage of this scanner - where quality matters, in other words.

The scaner requires 3 AAA batteries to operate and a micro SD card, which are not included and comes with a carry case, USB connector, a small lens cleanining cloth, OCR software and a small manual that I merely glanced at, but there are some set up procedures, so ypu might want to have more than a glance in order to save time experimenting. It can scan in colour or black and white, at 300, 600 or 900 dpi and in jpeg or pdf format. Since most printed matter is still 300 dpi, this performs quite well, with good colour reproduction, although not perfect, but then perfection in reprographics comes at a high price. It has a guide to alert you if you are attempting to scan too quickly, but while the process is not quick, it is not painfully slow either, taking seconds, not minutes to scan an A4 page. For anyone who has a need for this sort of product, it is a good piece of kit. Out put as a jpeg, scans can be downloaded to a computer quickly and easily and, if required, be given some post-production editing and photoshop or the like. My intended use is in the production of artworks, but most people will have convention uses.

In assessing its star value, I have to reiterate that there is probably less need for such items as this: technology moves on and the ubiquity of the mobile phones with cameras and such like do appear to make this product of much less value than formerly, but what it does, it does well and I have found little to criticise. If I were to suggest one useful addition, it would be to have the ability to connect it to a phone in order to send scans via email without first downloading to a computer, but that is an addition to what it otherwise does well. As it is, it scans document well and it is highly portable, so 5 stars for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as USB mass storage; universally compatible, 12 Nov. 2014
Sam Tuke (UK) - See all my reviews
This device is sold under many different brand names. All of them are universally compatible as they connect as a simple USB mass storage device. E.g. all scanning takes place on the device itself (no configuration is done by drivers on your computer) and then pictures are accessible as from a USB memory stick when the scanner is connected.

Works with Linux, Mac, and Windows therefore.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant surprise, 16 Sept. 2014
The product came in a very small box, the scanner works fine and it has surpassed all of my expectations fro a £40 handheld scanner. It truly does scan at high resolutions and the images can be of any length. I use it all the time at Collage and at home scanning work and books as well as receipts and bills.

The only Con with the device so far is how straight i have to keep the device as is scan, Yes I understand the device is handheld and it takes lots of effort on my side, but other than that I have nothing to fault.

The device is good on batteries and it doesn't have a drain on them when powered off. I have showed it off to all of my friends and I have staff asking me to use it too. Best thing i have got so far :D