4.0 out of 5 stars An unusual twist on a well known approach to writing
I was intrigued by the title with its play on Show don't Tell, a well followed rule in the writing world. As a blogger I devour books that may assist me in my endeavours. I thought the book had an excellent message and practical approach to getting the best out of my writing. If I have one criticism it would be the message was pretty much laboured and once I got the gist...
Published on 7 April 2013 by Your Books

3.0 out of 5 stars Effective...
I found this book helpful but it was a little light on content. In fairness James does provide some interesting content and shares additional books for further reading, but would have liked more in depth cases on the application of his technique. What it did do was help me reflect further and adjust my style to be more productive. On the up side then it got me to work...
Published on 7 Jun. 2013 by Adrian Wildsmith

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks for the tip, sir!, 1 Feb. 2013
Lacrimosa (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tell, Don't Show! (Kindle Edition)
It's always good to get a fresh perspective on things and, if you're a writer, I think this short eBook by a fellow writer is well worth a look. Newly enthused, I'll be trying out his method soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, 18 Mar. 2014

A bit short.

I want to try it out.

I think it will benefit my writing.

This is the first draft of my review.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not waste your money, 8 Jan. 2014
Billy Bunter (Republic of Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tell, Don't Show! (Kindle Edition)
I don't believe this man is a paid writing teacher. The excerpts from his stories, aptly mis-titled 'Exhibit A' etc., show him to be a very poor writer. That said, I got a pain from laughing at the advice to write '.., verbs etc' on index cards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reactivated my motivation, 21 Oct. 2013
Wow - a great book.
Read in less than an hour yet filled with great advice
I have struggled with my writing, so often getting bogged down by detail. I feel this book has freed my mind and released my motivation again. I can't wait to get stuck back into my writing.

2.0 out of 5 stars cheap but not worth buying, 1 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Tell, Don't Show! (Kindle Edition)
I'm not quite sure why I bought this, because my initial thought was that the concept was sound, but couldn't really be expanded on. I was right and should have stuck with that first instinct. I was taught that the first draft is you telling the story and the subtleties come later. This is effectively the message here, but it's illustrated with several examples. I don't think anyone needs to know that making a list of what should be included in your scene is a first step? It might be useful to someone who has over complicated things but beyond that, no point to it really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 31 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Tell, Don't Show! (Kindle Edition)
I found this book very very helpful.

1.0 out of 5 stars waste of time, 7 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Tell, Don't Show! (Kindle Edition)
This writing technique may well be useful to Mr Lofquist and his students, but there's little to learn from this quick and shallow read. There's nothing new or revolutionary in the so-called Telling method (spoiler alert: write a list of all the events and details you want to include in your scene, then write your scene properly in the second draft) and the flaccid examples of Lofquist's prose don't exactly inspire confidence. Save your money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes you buy these things, 31 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Tell, Don't Show! (Kindle Edition)
Sometimes you buy these things and then after you have read them, think to yourself............learn anything? And the answer is yes, I did, I learnt that I had only been conned out of less than a quid, so no harm done. Price of a small bar of chocolate. I don't think this is a book for people who are serious about writing but as I am not actually a writer, what do I know?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›