4.0 out of 5 stars An unusual twist on a well known approach to writing
I was intrigued by the title with its play on Show don't Tell, a well followed rule in the writing world. As a blogger I devour books that may assist me in my endeavours. I thought the book had an excellent message and practical approach to getting the best out of my writing. If I have one criticism it would be the message was pretty much laboured and once I got the gist...
Published 15 months ago by Your Books

3.0 out of 5 stars Effective...
I found this book helpful but it was a little light on content. In fairness James does provide some interesting content and shares additional books for further reading, but would have liked more in depth cases on the application of his technique. What it did do was help me reflect further and adjust my style to be more productive. On the up side then it got me to work...
Published 13 months ago by HopfulDodger

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing approach, 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: Tell, Don't Show! (Kindle Edition)
The key points made in this book made sense to me. I have certainly learned to be flexible in listening to and taking advice. The author takes a refreshing approach to the issue often emphasized by the majority of the need to illustrate by giving concrete examples which show characteristics of individuals or their surroundings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting concept, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: Tell, Don't Show! (Kindle Edition)
I guess I'm exactly the kind of writer that Mr Lofquist has written this little text for - I tend to get stuck in trying to be brilliant. I have two main ways to break through my self-imposed pressure. Firstly, I tell myself I'm "just playing", which immediately shuts down the critical voice that says I'm an impostor and a fake (hey, even fakes and impostors are allowed to "just play" right?). Secondly, I get a co-writer involved who'll simply whip me through a shared draft.

These two solutions aren't always practical, though. With this (small) book, I should be able to acquire a third version of getting through a draft, which is essentially writing a "told" draft (or a list of bullet points) as the basis for the book. In short, one way to approach the dreaded "outline". I haven't tried the method yet, so I can't say whether it's a game-changer to me, but it seems practical, the text is well-written, well-edited and has a decent cover, so a nice snack to read on the commute and kickstart that process again, or re-examine how you work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful idea but..., 25 May 2014
This review is from: Tell, Don't Show! (Kindle Edition)
it didn't really need an ebook to explain it in full. A blog post would have done it really but hey, we all gotta earn a crust so no hard feelings!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting take, albeit short., 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: Tell, Don't Show! (Kindle Edition)
I did like this, but it should be said that I stumbled on the technique discussed almost by accident myself, long before I picked this up in a fit of pique... I would have probably preferred a lot more detail (and examples), but for the price I'm guessing there's little to really complain about. I ought to add as well that the small samples of his own work that the author includes are not exactly inspirational or indicative of great writing, to be honest; but it's the technique that counts, and this is a great introduction to it. Now I just need to make a point of putting it into practice more often with my own work. ;-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Short but good advice, 19 Sep 2013
Lynda Wilcox (Northamptonshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tell, Don't Show! (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed this and only wish it had been a little more in depth. Hard to let go off all that 'show don't tell' advice doled out to beginners, but I've definitely seen an improvement in my own writing (and my word count) since taking Lofquist's teaching on board. Recommened.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reactivated my motivation, 21 Oct 2013
Wow - a great book.
Read in less than an hour yet filled with great advice
I have struggled with my writing, so often getting bogged down by detail. I feel this book has freed my mind and released my motivation again. I can't wait to get stuck back into my writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise and Straight to the Point, 6 April 2013
This review is from: Tell, Don't Show! (Kindle Edition)
I chose this book because I was intrigued. I found it extremely powerful and to the point. This guy doesn't mince his words. His idea may not be anything new but he has got a book out on it which is to the point and concise. Forget all the other writing books, buy this one and write. No more spending ages getting bogged down by Groundhog Day when writing. BUY THIS BOOK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks for the tip, sir!, 1 Feb 2013
L. Goddard "Lacrimosa" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tell, Don't Show! (Kindle Edition)
It's always good to get a fresh perspective on things and, if you're a writer, I think this short eBook by a fellow writer is well worth a look. Newly enthused, I'll be trying out his method soon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not waste your money, 8 Jan 2014
Billy Bunter (Republic of Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tell, Don't Show! (Kindle Edition)
I don't believe this man is a paid writing teacher. The excerpts from his stories, aptly mis-titled 'Exhibit A' etc., show him to be a very poor writer. That said, I got a pain from laughing at the advice to write '.., verbs etc' on index cards.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes you buy these things, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Tell, Don't Show! (Kindle Edition)
Sometimes you buy these things and then after you have read them, think to yourself............learn anything? And the answer is yes, I did, I learnt that I had only been conned out of less than a quid, so no harm done. Price of a small bar of chocolate. I don't think this is a book for people who are serious about writing but as I am not actually a writer, what do I know?

Tell, Don't Show!