4.0 out of 5 stars An unusual twist on a well known approach to writing
Published 20 months ago by Your Books

3.0 out of 5 stars Effective...
Published 18 months ago by HopfulDodger

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Effective..., 7 Jun 2013
This review is from: Tell, Don't Show! (Kindle Edition)
I found this book helpful but it was a little light on content. In fairness James does provide some interesting content and shares additional books for further reading, but would have liked more in depth cases on the application of his technique. What it did do was help me reflect further and adjust my style to be more productive. On the up side then it got me to work better quicker, which has to be a good thing! Thanks James.

4.0 out of 5 stars An unusual twist on a well known approach to writing, 7 April 2013
This review is from: Tell, Don't Show! (Kindle Edition)
I was intrigued by the title with its play on Show don't Tell, a well followed rule in the writing world. As a blogger I devour books that may assist me in my endeavours. I thought the book had an excellent message and practical approach to getting the best out of my writing. If I have one criticism it would be the message was pretty much laboured and once I got the gist there wasn't much else the book could offer me. I have rated this with four stars because the message in itself was brilliant. I would recommend this to any new writer or any shelved writer whom requires another tool to get motivated to write again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! Thanks James., 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: Tell, Don't Show! (Kindle Edition)
This book needs to be read by all writers, whether published or unpublished. Tell don't show really works! I have always struggled with the first draft, constantly revising and editing as I write, it takes me ages to get my story's bare bones down and finish the first draft. James' technique allows you to do just that, easily and quickly, and then after, you can put the meat on your story. Also if you want to make major changes whilst writing the first draft it takes seconds as opposed to cutting 1000's of words. Thanks James This saves months of work. I will always be writing first drafts this way.

4.0 out of 5 stars An unusual twist, 16 April 2014
This review is from: Tell, Don't Show! (Kindle Edition)
10 out of 10 for brevity - instead of rambling on at inordinate length to stretch a simple idea into a worthy "tome," Mr Lofquist has a simple idea told simply and to the point. I'm not saying it will turn the reader into a prolific author overnight - it seems to have had little effect on my laggardly progress - but it's an "upside-down" way of writing that at least promises a way out of those awkward moments when you know what should be happening next, but can't seem to find the golden prose to suit the occasion..! A useful tool in the writer's toolbox.

5.0 out of 5 stars the most effective solution yet, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Tell, Don't Show! (Kindle Edition)
This book has changed my approach completely. I was struggling with my writing and I felt as though I was being held back by invisible ties that this technique has cut away, the words are now flowing, the pressure is off and I am enjoying new, unrestricted creativity.

I particularly like the massaging non critical elements part, as even when I'm not feeling so productive, I think of that, and skip through my draft adding here and there and then before I know it, I'm back in full flow.

I have read much larger books on writing and found a few tips, but they all try and teach you how to write dramatic, captivating descriptions and dialogue etc, they try to take what is a pure, creative art form and make it technical and complicated. I personally believe that such things can not be taught, a writer either has the flare, or they do not. This book encourages the creativity in aspiring writers, does not try to instil a 'how too' guide for correct, engaging content and is all the better for it. It allows the writer to explore the imagination and find his or her own style without worrying about technicalities and that simply makes progress easy, get it all out, as much as you want, then cut it away, refine 'massage' it into being as good as it can be.

Thank you so much James!

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes things clear., 23 Jan 2014
This review is from: Tell, Don't Show! (Kindle Edition)
I have been waiting to come across a work such as this. The "Show don't Tell" problem is one that many writers struggle with. This will prove to be of immense value to myself and other writers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money., 26 Aug 2014
This review is from: Tell, Don't Show! (Kindle Edition)
Although I had a system in place for whenever the prose muse went on strike, this author's method is simpler yet more comprehensive. I've already put it into practice when composing my weekly newsletters. I'm grateful to Mr Lofquist for summing up his method with the minimum of waffle, even though it may have cost him a few full downloads, because as other reviewers have noted, the gist of this method can be obtained from the free sample provided. However, I'm congratulating myself on having the foresight to download the entire story, as I felt the examples and extrapolation that followed, together with the author's examples of 'reverse engineering' are well worth the price. Excellent value, and in my opinion, the author pays his readers a compliment (and saves us all valuable time) by simply laying out the bare bones of this useful method. Thank you Mr Lofquist!

3.0 out of 5 stars Vindication, 31 Dec 2013
Mr. G. W. Jordan "jgary763" (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tell, Don't Show! (Kindle Edition)
This book did not really tell me anything new. I've used this technique for most of my life.
What it did do was vindicate the way I have been working and thus spur me on. So it has been worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great advice for new writers., 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: Tell, Don't Show! (Kindle Edition)
Great advice for somebody working on their first novel.

Straightforward and to the point.

Great price, considering the impact it might have on your writing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing approach, 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: Tell, Don't Show! (Kindle Edition)
The key points made in this book made sense to me. I have certainly learned to be flexible in listening to and taking advice. The author takes a refreshing approach to the issue often emphasized by the majority of the need to illustrate by giving concrete examples which show characteristics of individuals or their surroundings.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›