5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic
Well, what a ride it has been. Seven stars, five series, countless tears and endless embarrassing snorts of laughter. Being Human, I will miss you.
Published 21 months ago by AGoodOmen

3.0 out of 5 stars BH Series 5
With all of the original cast gone, it is only to be expected that this series suffers greatly. However, it is not all bad, as Phil Davies makes a great menacing bad guy.
Published 6 months ago by Astor Edwyn Teller

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: Being Human - Series 5 [DVD] (DVD)
Series 5, where to start? It's been brilliant. The design and soundtrack are as always flawlessly selected and utilised, the premise and plot carry along nicely and never feel awkward. The guest stars are predictably wonderful - the superbly twitchy Mr Rook played by Steven Robertson makes a welcome return, and Colin Hoult earns his well deserved acting stripes as socially awkward Ian Cram, like the runner. Then, of course, there's the inimitable Phil Davis as - well - a role he was absolutely destined to play. And there are many more wonderful guests, bit parts, even creator cameos who all provide excellent support to the impossibly talented trio at the heart of the story. (There are some welcome returns too...)
Hal (Damien Molony), Alex (Kate Braken) and Tom (Michael Socha) are truly a dream team, I warmed to them almost immediately and their chemistry as a trio is second to none. It's all a matter of opinion, but I actually prefer them to the original cast - just a tad. And this series the actors really prove how talented they are. And they're very talented.
As for the series overall, the direction, writing and cinematography have all been kicked up a gear this year. And to make up for BBC3 cutting the series length by two episodes we were gifted a wealth of extra material online, most of which I expect will be on the DVD. We have also been promised an exclusive to DVD extra scene that will settle (probably, a bit) the wonderfully disconcerting ending, which I shan't spoil.
Probably due to the reduction in length, and the fact that the show was not recommissioned, the series occasionally feels a little rushed (especially the last episode, which is an odd waltz of action and anti-climax) but all the character development felt natural and the plot was always gripping, so I wouldn't even think about rating it fewer than five stars. In terms of all time, it's currently sharing second place with series one (for me, anyway).
This series feels like it has so much to prove, to show the BBC it was wrong to cancel it (it was always too good for BBC3 anyway); and you know what? It does. I feel fully justified in my five star review; rarely has a series kept me this hooked, this excited, this emotionally engaged. I encourage anyone reading this review to buy this DVD.
Five amazing years culminating in a truly spectacular, and utterly worthy final series. Bravo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Finale, 14 April 2013
Pantheon (Boston, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
For anyone unsure of buying this season: do it! It's an excellent ending to an amazing show. Being Human as such a breath of fresh air on UK TV when it first aired. In my opinion, the UK has always been a bit rubbish when it comes to decent horror television; but Being Human got everything right.
Season 5 continues this trend with a new line-up of principal actors who all manage to being true to their own individuality as well as paying homage to their predecessors. I loved the original cast; but never found myself pining for them during the six episodes of this series.
As other have said, this is the last ever series and that's very sad; but, at the same time, they did an amazing job of finishing the story in a very satisfactory manner. There was a moment during the final episode where I thought the ending was going to be a disappointment; but then they did something completely unexpected which totally elevated the series.
Highly recommended to anyone who has seen the previous four series.

Regarding the BLU-RAY - Picture is excellent; but, despite listing a DTS-HD Master track there is only a Dolby Digital 5.1; which is very good; but not what I wanted. The bonus features are good but not great. The best being a deleted scene/alternate ending - which is what I think would have been on the end had the series been commissioned for a sixth series.

Now to a couple of side notes: If you like Twilight then this is not the show for you! Twilight is great (the incredibly annoying trend of having to 'hate' twilight because it's so not cool is, itself, so not cool) but it belongs in a category of its own within the Vampire/Werewolf cannon of material. Stephenie Meyer did a very good job of creating her personal version of vampires and I applaud her for it - after all, they're not real so they don't always have to be bloodthirsty monsters dripping blood from inch-long fangs. But, if the scary type is what you like then BH IS for you.

Finally...don't despair if you crave more Being Human... I've watched the first two seasons of the US version and I really enjoyed them. The first Season takes a while to find it's feet because it retreads the UK storyline; but in Season 2 they move into new stories unique to their version of the show and it starts to get really good. The actors are great and there's 13 episodes per season. It's definitely worth checking out. Is it as good as the UK version? No. But, in the absence of a UK Being Human I will happily continue to watch the US version.

EDIT: Only Disc 1 has DD5.1 sound. The other two discs ARE DTS. Weird.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful end to a fantastic series., 14 Mar 2013
This review is from: Being Human - Series 5 [DVD] (DVD)
Having been with "Being Human" since the first episode aired on BBC 3 I was really looking forward to this final series. The previous 4, all of which I have on dvd, have all been excellent and I was hoping that series 5 would keep the standard up. It did - brilliantly and was, to my mind, even better than series 4. Being Human has always had that wonderful mixture of seriously scary, horrifying moments combined with laugh out loud humour and this series was no exception. A ghost, a werewolf and a vampire all fighting the Devil - come on what more could you want. I have to confess that the final moments of the final episode did bring a tear to the eye as I, for one, am going to miss this series so much and its a shame that the BBC could not find the cash to commission series 6. So in conclusion - if you like horror with a large sprinkling of humour, great and loveable characters and excellent gripping stories that keep you guessing right to the end, get this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun., 20 Dec 2013
This review is from: Being Human - Series 5 [DVD] (DVD)
This season of being human was great like all the others. A new female lead for this season and what a good job she did. If you liked the other seasons then I am sure this is a must have for your collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh WOW!!!, 31 Mar 2013
This review is from: Being Human - Series 5 [DVD] (DVD)
Oh WOW, what an ending. I have been a fan of Being Human since the first episode of Series 1 and this is my favorite series yet. The emotional rollercoaster you are taken on is quite extraordinary. Whilst I would love more of this I think the decision to end it here is absolutely spot on, a fantastic way to wrap up a fantastic program. I am sure not kicking the backside out of the idea will ensure this program will be long remembered by it's fans and will go on gaining fans as more and more people discover it.

I have not yet said it but you may have gathered by now I like this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge fan, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Being Human - Series 5 [DVD] (DVD)
Love this series and couldn't wait for the last instalment. Well written with a Classic British comedy twist. Really enjoyed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great series... mixed ending, 12 Mar 2013
This review is from: Being Human - Series 5 [DVD] (DVD)
In all honesty, I wasn't going to bother with s5. I mainly stuck with the 4th series to see how Annie's story ended, but it turned out that it was genuinely good and I really grew to like Tom and Hal (particularly Tom).
Last series ended with Annie and Eve going through their door and reuniting with Mitchell, George and Nina. In this series we have Alex (introduced last series) in a main role, filling the Type 1 requirement of Being Human's triad.
Having been a huge Annie fan since the beginning, I wasn't sure how I felt about a new ghost, but I quickly grew to like Alex a lot. She's a tough, funny and charming character who's hard not to like.
The series is mainly set in a hotel, at which Tom and Hal get new jobs, having been fired from the cafe they worked at in the previous series. In this hotel is where they meet Captain Hatch, a foul mouthed, nasty old wheel-chair bound man who is somehow connected to a series of violent suicides in the hotel. (I'll avoid spoilers). The arch for this series is very promising and combines gritty darkness and tongue in cheek homour in a way that we do expect from the show. There isn't really a cast member that doesn't do a good job.

Now for the very last episode. I couldn't help but be underwhelmed, because if I used one word to describe the finale, it would be "rushed". Series 5 basically spends most of it's time building up the biggest bad guy we've ever had in the series and by the time that's done, we only have one episode for the confrontation/battle. This, added to the fact that they also need to wrap up the story, makes for an incredibly rushed finale and it's hard not to feel a little let down considering the build up and who the bad guy is! The way it ends for Alex, Tom and Hal is perfect though and was a good way to finish off the show.

SPOILERS- Returning characters for the finale include Leo and Allison from the fourth series. If you were hoping Annie, George, Mitchell or Nina might make an appearance, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed... it would have been nice, and I refuse to believe that they couldn't have gotten at least one of them to make an appearance, but I guess considering how rushed everything already felt, it may have been for the best.

All in all, this was a suitable ending to Being Human. It's changed a hell of a lot and it's kept standing and being a quality show in spite of that, something that I will always applaud it for. We have to remember that even though this was a finale, the writers were ending the show with characters that we hadn't really known all that long. Considering this, both the writers and the cast did an excellent job. It's just a shame that the BBC only wanted 6 episodes, as opposed to 8, for such a huge story-arch.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sad Goodbye, 7 Mar 2013
This review is from: Being Human - Series 5 [DVD] (DVD)
i have been watching Being Human since the adverts for the show started on BBC Three back at series one and it has to be the only tv series i can say that has taken me on an emotional roller coaster ride. It's had me in laughter and complete crying breakdowns over death of characters that i have grown to love so much. With this being the last series it's time to say good bye to my Sunday night friends for one last time. But they will be coming off my DVD shelf every Sunday for a rematch.

If you have never seen Being Human i would fully recommend it to anyone. I have got many of my friends into it. It is nothing like Twilight but instead the vampires, werewolves and ghosts are all portrayed how everyone knows them not as shiny in the sunlight vampires. All the characters are genuine and you are guaranteed to fall in love with every single one of them....well maybe not the bad guys.

I've preordered my copy with one episode left to go of series five and i'm saying now (being the sad little Being Human geek that i am) this series finally will end in blood guts and with a big bang!

3.0 out of 5 stars BH Series 5, 7 Jun 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the show, 6 May 2014
This review is from: Being Human - Series 5 [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this religiously from series 1 - 5. Being human really deserved to sit on my shelf gathering dust.

Being Human - Series 5 [DVD]
Being Human - Series 5 [DVD] by Daniel O'Hara (DVD - 2013)