5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down... a fun read
After reading Juliette Sobanet's Sleeping with Paris, I couldn't wait to start Kissed in Paris. I was in need of a France fix so started it this week. Well, I wasn't disappointed.

Published 23 months ago by Melanie King

I was really looking forward to reading this as I loved Juliette Sobanets first book `Sleeping with Paris'.... however, I have real mixed feelings about this Juliette Sobanets second book - hence the reluctant 3 stars... the first part of the book gets 2 stars and the second half gets 5!

I didn't like the first part of the book at all. It started well with the...
Published on 21 Feb 2012 by Natasha W

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down... a fun read, 26 Aug 2012
This review is from: Kissed in Paris (Kindle Edition)

Up-tight, event-planner Chloe Turner's life is turned upside down when she takes her boss's place at the last minute for a trip to a convention in Paris where after a drink with a stranger at the bar, she wakes the next morning to discover all her things have been stolen. Enter hot undercover agent, Julien Dubois, and the fun begins as he takes her from Paris, through Annency, Giverney and Lyon trying to get her things back.

Chloe is under a time constraint because she's due to marry her stable fiance, Paul, at the end of the week.

Juliette's rich descriptions of the scenery, and smells immediately put me in France. I can't wait for her next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 9 May 2012
This review is from: Kissed in Paris (Kindle Edition)
I've just finished reading this and I really enjoyed it. I was a bit worried when I first started to read it that it would be a story told in emails but that is just the opening few pages to set the scene. As soon as the story starts in France I found it gripping from the first. The plot is full of twists and turns, nothing is as it seems and the hero is a gorgeous French man. This is a great piece of enjoyable escapism.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed review - first half not great but second half brilliant!, 21 Feb 2012
This review is from: Kissed in Paris (Kindle Edition)

I didn't like the first part of the book at all. It started well with the back story and characters being introduced through a series of emails between Chloe, the main character, her boss and her sisters but then fell into a farcical storyline.

During the next 10 chapters or so we are taken on a crazy disjointed journey as Chloe flees the scene of `the crime' with a man claiming to be some sort of secret agent. This on its own seems fine and somewhat reminiscent of a Hollywood `RomCom' HOWEVER it does not come across in the right way.

I think the main problem is that all of the actions are so totally against the supposed personality of the main character. Why would a sane, workaholic, normal women who has spent her life being in control, being organised and being on top of things run away from the scene of a crime when she is obviously the innocent victim with some strange man?! It just does not make sense and I read the first half of the book with a sense of utter disbelief.

But we then move on to the second half of the book where Juliette Sobanet turns to what I believe is her strength - her ability to portray likeable characters with real believable emotions who the audience can easily become attached to and `root' for. From this point on I LOVED the book!

The story surrounding Chloe and her mother is incredibly moving and Juliette Sobanet skilfully blends what is a tragic event with the humour and `sexiness' of the rest of the story WITHOUT `cheapening' such a big event in Chloes life.

The love story between Chloe and Julian also is allowed to develop in the second half of the story in a way not felt in the first half.

I LOVED the way that there are points in which characters from the first story interact with characters from this book... very neatly done although very confused as to why Charlotte would be getting married in Annecy when she lives in Lyon which is several hours away?!

I will eagerly await Juliette Sobanets next book as I hope it focuses more on her strength in building characters which is what she is AMAZING at.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 15 Oct 2012
This review is from: Kissed in Paris (Kindle Edition)
I must admit when I fist started reading this I was ready to give up as it is quite slow to begin with, but I'm so glad I stuck with it what a wonderful story the main characters Chloe and Julian are ment to be. And with a major twist near the end that brings everything into focus for Chloe is touching and heart warming.

5.0 out of 5 stars kissed in Paris, 15 Jun 2012
This review is from: Kissed in Paris (Kindle Edition)
Getting a free download you never know how good a book can be, and reading a new author is always a treat. I was really pleased I didnt pass on the opportunity. The book was a page turner a very good read and most of the characters where fully believable. I have purchased Sleeping with Paris and hope it is as good.
Juliette Sobanet will be on my book list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Way To Travel To Paris Without A Passport, 4 May 2012
This review is from: Kissed in Paris (Kindle Edition)
When I tell you that once I started reading "Kissed in Paris" I couldn't put it down, it's a reality not a cliché! The lead-in is creative and snappy, and the story continues to build from page to page - through to the last word on the last page. Juliette Sobanet's characters don't just exist - they live! Her descriptions of the French countryside, each back street and café take the reader on a colorful Parisian journey.

This is not just another love story - it's wrapped in unpredictable intrigue and mystery. Chloe has only her instincts to go on and who she should trust - if anyone - is one of her biggest trials as she follows the only person who "might" be able to save her across France. But has she chosen the wrong "savior" or was she "chosen" by an unknown swarthy conman before she boarded the plane in Washington DC for Paris? The only way to know is to read the book!

This is the only book in Sobanet's "Paris" series that I have read, and I wished Chloe & Julien had lived on in a sequel. There is a break down between the lead-in and the first chapter that is a bit confusing. Chloe's reason for traveling to Paris gets lost and I read back a few pages to see if I had missed something. But don't let that discourage you - buy the book - pop the cork on a bottle of wine (preferably French), get a block of your favorite cheese and a baguette of French bread if you can find one(!) or chocolate filled croissants. Then settle back in your favorite chair and put "life as you know it" on hold, as you begin to read "Kissed In Paris."

From my patio, I could smell the melted cheese and chocolate on the streets of Annecy ... I envisioned a vineyard outside of Lyon and the scent of lavender and rosemary was real ... if only for a moment ... "Kissed in Paris," by Juliette Sobanet is the best way to travel to Paris without a passport.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 3 May 2012
This review is from: Kissed in Paris (Kindle Edition)
I got this eBook when it was available as a free download on Amazon, I had already read and loved Sleeping with Paris, so I jumped at the chance to read this.

I loved the start of the book - emails being sent back and forth was a great way to introduce the storyline and characters, it also gave me a few laughs which I feel is always a good thing to start off with. As the story progressed it allowed me to put my detective hat on (I believe I'd make a good detective.... really) and I tried to figure out what had gone on during that catastrophic night and why.

I found the whole book very exciting, it felt like I was reading an action movie with a bit of romance and laughter thrown in. The breathtaking kisses, chiselled cheekbones and arched eyebrows all added to that feeling of excitement and adventure.

Chloe was a lovely character that I warmed to very quickly, I guess I felt afraid for her too because it must have been scary being in another country and having everything taken from you. I could feel her confusion and shock as everything begins to tumble down around her and she finds herself having to rethink her life and what she wants from it. As for Julien, what can I say other than a part of me fell in love with him and his cheeky, passionate ways!

There were many twists and turns in the story that kept me reading until late at night and lots of funny moments that had me laughing out loud, one part that I particularly enjoyed was the newly wed bus tour, I will say no more but look out for that if you read this eBook.

Further on something is revealed that is either a crazy coincidence, fate or something else entirely. I really loved this part of the story - I didn't see it coming and it actually gave me chills when I was reading it!

Mystery, action, romance and laughter make this a story not to be missed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Easy Read, 3 Mar 2012
This review is from: Kissed in Paris (Kindle Edition)
I tried this book as a free book to try out my Kindle.

I got into the story quite quickly and although the first half was a good read, I found the second half of the book even better as I found it difficult to put the story down. I had to finish it to find out what happened!

I do like this type of book and I suppose that helps, I would recommend this book to others as a good easy read. I will be buying other books by this author as a result.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild Ride!!!, 21 Feb 2012
This review is from: Kissed in Paris (Kindle Edition)
This is the story of an impulsive girl (Chloe), who is robbed by a French conman (Claude). She decides to trust an undercover agent (Julien) who is apparently trying to save our heroine from the clutches of police in the hope to recover her passport so she can fly back to America in time for her wedding (which is in next few days!). Does this sound like a promising premise for a well-written novel? And the answer is, YES!!!

This madcap romantic comedy (I would not call it the usual chick-lit, it is much better than that!), is full of thrills and adventure and the more it progresses, the faster it gets, like a furious car race with more u-turns and twists at every step of the way. With the sensational opening chapter, which perfectly sets the tone, mood and setting of the story, the writer drives the story forward in fifth gear and takes the readers for a "wild ride".
The book gives a splendid tour of France (not just Paris!) and its beautiful countryside as a backdrop while the French agent (the hero) and the heroine run to get their life in place, but the more they try to solve things, the more they get entangled in bigger mess. While the story is written from first person perspective, it follows the hero to lead them from one situation to another.

The character of Chloe and Julien is brilliantly carved by the writer. She not only gives them signature traits (such as Chloe's love for chocolate croissants and Julien's bad habit of smoking) which make the characters memorable, but also gets into the hidden crevices of their minds, to reveal their secret desires (i.e. how Chloe finds Julien smoking hot) and conflicts to the readers. There is a certain amount of craziness to their behaviour which adds to the momentum of the story.

What I loved most about the novel is that it does NOT have typical chick lit ingredients like BFFS, whining and sulking by the heroine or the search for a perfect gentleman. On the contrary, this novel has thugs, tattooed badass men, suspicious activities by our hero (Julien) who is street-smart and not really trustworthy. To know how he leads (rather misleads!) our heroine, read the novel!

You can understand how much I enjoyed every bit of the novel, from the fact that it kept me up all night long! I was up till 6 in the morning turning the pages swiftly to finish it. This is the first novel in many years that interrupted my sleep and left me craving for more (the previous one was "Zoya" by Danielle Steel which I would recommend as well). Seriously, I did not want this excellent novel to end. It was so much fun - "pure escapism" and that is why, equally hard to bid farewell to the characters!

Final verdict: Highly recommended for the natural flow in the story, unconventional and gripping writing style of the author, flawless execution of original plot, unforgettable characters, exotic French scenery and laugh-out-loud crazy adventure. A must-read for those who enjoy a little bit of eccentricity to spice up the routine.

I will give it a 10/10!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast-Paced and Exciting!, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: Kissed in Paris (A Paris Romance) (Kindle Edition)
"Kissed in Paris", I spotted, why not? A book about Romance in Paris, I'll give it a go.

I am extremely glad I downloaded this surprise and tension filled novel! I couldn't put this book down. I was gripped from the first few pages and I wasn't disappointed at any point along the way. I'm not going to spoil the story for anyone, but I wasn't prepared for the contents of this book in any way. Everything was a wonderful surprise and there wasn't any point where the story became slow or uninteresting.

The characters are perfectly thought out. Chloe, with whom many people can relate, is a fiery young woman who is very much career orientated and always in control. That is, until she meets the fantastic Julien, whose many facets become clearer throughout the story.

The backdrop of Paris and rural France is a great setting for this novel, and you can tell the author knows it very well. Living in Paris for three years and visiting various parts of France myself, it can be exasperating when novels or films show these places in a warped and distorted light. That is definitely not the case with this book, Juliette captures the true essence of the cities we travel to within the book and she really makes us feel like we're there.

I can't express enough how great this novel is and it comes highly recommended. It's not just a novel for those who like the Romance genre or `chick-lit'. It has a wonderful story line that would satisfy anyone who likes a bit of fast-paced excitement in their reading material.

Enjoy! And I will definitely be going on to read the author's next novel `Sleeping in Paris'.

For more of my reviews, check out my website [...]

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Kissed in Paris (A Paris Romance)
3.49