4.0 out of 5 stars Especially good for movies away from home
Published 22 months ago by Richard Hammond

Published 21 months ago by E. L. Wisty

4.0 out of 5 stars Especially good for movies away from home, 2 Jun. 2013
Richard Hammond (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: XMI Xmini Max Duo Portable Mini Speakers for iPhone/iPad/iPod/MP3 Player/Laptop - Gun Metal Grey (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a big fan of XMI's capsule speakers - constant improvement and innovation mean they stay well ahead of similar me-too products and counterfeit copies. It might be an obvious thing tosay but sound quality seems to be genuinely important to the company - there are plenty of other portable speakers where greater emphasis in their design appear to go into looks or packaging. XMI seem capable of producing great looking capsule speakers, packaged and presented nicely but that also sound fantastic.

I was lucky enough to get a set of these stereo mini-capsules as well as one of their bigger stand-alone brothers the X-Mini Uno. It's an interesting comparison: the Uno is a bit heavier and, of course, mono but benefits hugely from it's larger body size and heavier materials. Whereas the set of Duo capsules offer a lovely stereo soundstage and for movies a 'bigger' sound.

In the end, I've found that I'm selecting the Duo speakers for one particular use-case: watching movies on my tablet in hotel rooms. The stereo set up from this very portable pair of speakers really brings life to films watched on small screens. I generally travel with a Microsoft Surface RT, which has a cracking set of built-in stereo speakers but the XMI pair bring a significant upgrade.

The sound is wide, very precisely sound-staged (you can easily place voices or individual instruments and sounds in specific spots between the two pods) and incredibly detailed. Where the sound is less impressive is in bass and lower mid-range. I don't find the sound tinny but that welcome bass punch isn't present. Musically, I much prefer the Uno instead which while still not hammering bass delivers a more rounded and full sound.

It's nice to have the options though.

Finally: the retail package is nice and the included extras in the shape of a protective pouch and multi-purpose cable are very welcome. The speakers themselves are beautifully made in what feel like premium materials. I like the finishing touch of a little sticker in the box too. It's the sort of detail that tells you a lot about how XMI go about things.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent upgrade over the last generation, 21 Oct. 2013
TotallydubbedHD "Tech Reviewer" (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I've owned the XMI X-Mini II 2nd Generation Capsule for over 5 years now and was sent this Max Duo for review, to see how the new ceramic driver has improved and/or changed the sound.

First of all the accessories that you get with the Max duo:
-Pouch
-Cable: Inputs are a 3.5mm jack and a USB port. Outputs are two mini USB connections
-Manual

I found the accessories provided to be useful and perfect for the given price-point.

Build quality:
The capsule speaker has a great build quality, especially with the cool metal finish on the outside. I was sent the Purple one to review and I quite like how they applied the finish on the product.
The capsule has a 3.5mm jack that's located underneath with a groove within the Xmini for the wire to sit in.
On the side of the capsule, you have a on/off switch, a LED indicator (blue when on and red when charging), an audio output for daisy-chaining other Xminis to it and finally an audio input via mini USB.
I should also mention the famous pivot design that expands the speaker to increase its bass presence. This is done by rotating the speaker from its base and opening up its woofer design.

The wire is actually very useful - it comes with a cable management to hold the wires together and has a volume rocker to adjust the volume of the Xmini's.

Overall, the build quality is excellent and I couldn't really fault it.

Battery life:
I was completely shocked to get over 120 hours (yes 1-2-0), of continuous playback. It took only 2hrs to charge too!

Sound quality:
This was the biggest one for me - and it didn't fail to impress me.
The new ceramic driver really packs the same punch as the old generation, but gives a MUCH better mids and highs frequency response. The treble comparison between the old and new generation with the ceramic driver is night and day. HUGE difference in sound. An "untrained ear" could easily pick up the differences and those differences are very pleasant to the ear.
The new ceramic driver really brings music to life, whereas the older generation, despite being good for its era is outclassed in every domain by this new ceramic driver.

I can't quite emphasis it enough - big improvement and top marks to XMI.

Overall:
I really like the new speakers - granted they aren't speakers I would have at home, as at their £35 price tag you could buy a Logitech PC sound system, but for on-the-go portability, nothing really beats these little speakers, in sound, build, design, and portability.
Highly suggested for anyone looking for a portable mini speaker on the go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic as always, 21 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Several years ago I spotted a large number of positive reviews on the original X-mini speakers here on amazon. They had a staggering number of 5 star reviews and page after page of glowing comments. As a man who likes his gadgets, I immediately bought one and, despite such high expectations, was highly impressed by the overall design and sound quality. The day after, I bought another one.

Then, last year.. after several years of service, I had them stolen.

Finally I replaced them with these new X-mini Max and once again I was impressed straight out of the box. Slightly bigger, with a reliable chunkiness to them, they look and feel even better than the originals. Magnetised, so the two conveniently stick together, they fit nicely into the included carrier bag (a slight, but welcome inclusion over the old ones). The cable fits snugly and tightly into the bottom of the device and underpins their overal design quality. They just feel like a quality product.

Then, to the sound. Louder and fuller than the originals, these pack a surprising punch for their size. It's one of those things you need to hear for yourself.. they just put a smile on your face. who would have thought such a small, sleek, cheap speaker could sound so good. Okay, no they won't replace your home cinema system or tower speakers, but as a portable convenience they excel quite considerably. The battery life is long, making these the perfect companion for camping or even just connecting to your laptop and moving around the house.

My only criticisms with this iteration are the lack of a volume switch on the device (far from essential, but a noticeable loss) and the change in charger connection from the original. Maybe there was a functional reason that they changed these two things, but they are the only thing I could possibly pick fault with. In every other way they are perfect.

A must have gadget.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the greatest quality sound but convenient for portable use, 7 Jun. 2013
E. L. Wisty "World Domination League" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have to say that the sound quality is not as high as might be expected from the blurb, at least for the kind of music I listen to, namely Renaissance polyphony & Baroque opera. There is that certain 'tinniness' there. As a general rule for portable sound I would prefer to listen to my iPod through a decent set of headphones as the sound quality is superior, but the main advantage of these for me would be in other situations where that is not convenient for example when I am in the bath. Nothing would beat my Bose docking speaker for sound quality but that is not an easily portable option.

These are wonderfully compact though so would be good for travelling. Both can be used in stereo via the supplied separate cable with two mini-USB connectors to either an iPod jack or laptop USB, or could be used singly with iPod with built in jack which stows away neatly in the bottom. The two units could be connected in series using the inbuilt jacks but there is no advantage to this given the stereo connector with this set. The USB connector is also used for charging. The two units have magnets in the bottom so they can be stuck back to back for convenient stowage. A carry bag is provided.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sound & market leading sound quality., 25 Feb. 2013
What a sound from these little speakers!! I have had small speakers before. I thought it was time I got some more, I splashed out a little bit more for the extra quality and boy I am glad I did! The sound quality is really there! Great drive from low down to the highest pitch for their size.

Don't get me wrong I have had better sound from larger compound speakers that cost twice as much and have a bigger base response but from considering the size of them they are little power houses!

I bought an extra pair (for work) and buddy jacked them up and WOW what sound!!

You won't be disappointed. Buy right, buy once.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent mini speakers - such a nifty design, 26 Jun. 2013
Purpleheart (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm building up a bit of a portfolio of portable speakers but I've got a real soft spot for the X minis which have been my travelling companions for years now as they are so compact and make watching a film on your laptop in a hotel room a far more enjoyable experience. I also like being able to listen to music without always using my earphone so they've been great for that too.

Pros

- As always great design on these with magnets to keep them together for travel and storage
- Each unit has its own stowaway cable and another cable to link them for stereo effect which is
- Super compact and portable with travel pouch provided
- Stereo effect is good for watching films on laptop
- Holds charge well

Cons

- Sound is a little tinny but an improvement over the last version I have

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best value for money portable speakers you can buy, 5 Mar. 2015
I bought these as my previous pair of these exact speakers were stolen at work...

I expected them to be no different from the previous pair. However how wrong I was! These are a significant improvement on the old pair.

These come in a sturdy case, with all the accessories neatly packed away (see attached photos). The speakers themselves are neatly packaged, and felt extremely well made, even more well made than the previous iteration.

The magnets on the underside are still present, which is a good thing. The underside contains the jack cable which connects to the other speaker (or to as many as you want to connect).

The speakers are connected to the music source via micro-USB, this cable is of a good length and reasonable quality. There is one port on each speaker. The micro-USB cable also contains a USB attachment which acts as the charging cable. The cable has a volume slide control on it, which is pretty useful. There is even an in built Velcro cable tie.

There is also an on-off switch on each speaker, which turns the LED blue.

And now on to the most important part - the sound. And oh my gosh, what a sound! The loudness of the speakers are phenomenal for the size, especially when the speakers are fully opened (unscrewed) to expose the bass. They are much louder than the previous iteration. And not only are they loud, the clarity of the sound is completely in excess of what I expected. The bass response is amazing for the size of the speakers. They are perfect for music, watching movies and all other uses in between.

There is also a carry case that comes with it which contains the speakers and the cable neatly.

All in all, the title says it all. You can't go wrong with these at all. Would highly recommend them. I got the red set for £15, which makes them even better value.

5.0 out of 5 stars EDIT: Even more happy, 20 Mar. 2015
I love these speakers, they are really loud with strong bass and crisp sound, yep.
They are magnetic so they attach to my table metal base preventing them from jumping.

It has micro USB, not the outdated mini USB.

Ive got great speakers for the money, will buy more if the price stays same or go lower.

EDIT: I bought 1 extra speaker set and Ive noticed even bigger sound improvement when having daisychained in stereo 2x2, it makes 3D effect.
It match my £250 HiFi system, im amazed.

Once i have extra money, will try 2x3

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little speakers., 25 April 2014
The sound quality is good. Very compact and perfect for whilst out. I brought mine so that I could watch movies on my iPad with my partner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied, 14 Dec. 2013
A definite worth upgrade from my previous x mini. It provides stereo sound with much clearer mids at high volumes. Incredibly loud .