Published 19 months ago by Keith_Joseph

Published 3 months ago by Mr. C. Starke

5.0 out of 5 stars Not sure the Uno justifies the premium over its cheaper sibling, the Xmini II, but a great ultra-portable speaker, 4 July 2013
Keith_Joseph (West Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When this unit arrived I was a bit surprised that it was the same size as the cheaper £15 XMi XMini II portable mini speaker, in fact you would be pushed to tell them apart. This isn't a bad thing as it makes the Uno ultraportable. They both come with similar accessories as well, a nice felt travel bag and a 60cm micro-USB2 recharge combined 3.5mm headphone cable. However this Xmini Uno is noticeably heavier at 112g compared its cheaper 83g sibling, probably due to it having a bigger battery lasting up to 20 hours not 11 hours on one charge. The Uno's extra weight also keeps it from moving about when the sounds turned up. Plus the Uno does feel noticeably more solid in construction than the cheap Xmini II. Other than the recharge/headphone cable being a bit thin and flimsy, the Xmini Uno is well built and easy to use. You charge via the USB2 cable, and feed analogue music into the speaker via the 3.5mm headphone out on the iPod/MP3 player. The Uno has LEDs for charging indication, an on/off switch and a volume control (the iPod volume control also adjusts Uno sound levels). Given the flimsy USB2 charging cable, I tend to charge the speaker via a USB 13A mains/12v car adapter, as from experience I know a 5V power feed short in the USB2 cable can fry a PC's motherboard and CPU (the USB2 cable isn't used for PC data transfer anyway). The internal Uno battery takes around 2.5 hours to recharge.

I compared this Xmini Uno with our many Xmini II's and the sound is clearly weightier with a bit more bass. In comparison the cheaper Xmini II's sound is lighter and brighter (which helps clarity), and although the II's bass is poorer and not as noticeable as the Uno's, it still manages to convey the beat. Both the Uno and the II's go fairly loud for their small 4cm size, and both go to pretty much the same volume. Sound quality doesn't markedly improve at high volume, although there's generally no major distortion at max. Neither are tonally accurate HiFi wise, but their tonal balance is pleasant enough, and you have the iPod's equalization control. I'm into pop, rock and some electric folk, i.e. vocals, and I found I was really quite happy with the sound from either the £40 Uno or the £15 IIs, which does make the II's better value for me. Overall I didn't think the difference in sound quality wowed me enough to make the Uno a preferable buy at £40 (however recently it's often discounted, and I would buy the Uno in preference if it's offered for £25). Our cheaper Xmini II's seem reliable having lasted 2 years, which bodes well for the upgraded Uno, although being so small and always on the move they do have a tendency to get lost about the house. This Uno has li-ion batteries that are sensitive to heat above 30oC and should be stored long-term switched off with some, ideally 40%, charge or the Li-ion battery may go completely flat and refuse to charge (there's info on the Xmini website about kickstarting the discharged Li-ion battery should this happen).

Still the Uno's improved sound, build quality and extra 9 hours battery life is very welcome, so 5* for features/sound/portability and 4* for value. Although bulkier and weighing 424g, if I was moving up from the Xmini's, I would save up my pennies and go for the superb £90 MINIRIG rechargeable speaker instead, which offers great mono sound, superb looks & build quality, loud volume and a 50h battery life. For highly rated stereo portable rechargeable speakers also check out the £20 Music Angel Friendz and the £100 Bluetooth enabled Cambridge Audio GO Active speakers. You can link together Unos (and Xmini IIs) via their inbuilt 3.5mm audio cable for a louder mono sound, or connect two in stereo using a Y Cable, but we prefer the simple ultra-portability of one Uno. The Uno is available in dark grey and five bright colours. It has a one year warranty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Sound, 23 April 2013
J. Stocks "hip-hop-head" (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews
So the Xmini Uno Portable arrives in the post and I'm eager to test it out. I say 'it', but I really mean 'them' as I bought 2 (I will refer to them singularly from this point onwards).

The speaker comes nicely packaged, hovering in a clear plastic box and I'm immediately impressed by the small size of the unit. But being so small, I'm also somewhat concerned about its capabilities.

As I'm unpacking the speaker, some fears are immediately put to rest. Firstly, transporting the unit around. I can see a small black carry pouch is included in the box. Having looked at it, it's more than sufficient for keeping the speaker free from damage when moving around. It's also big enough to fit the speaker's cable in. Secondly, as just mentioned, the cables. I'm relieved to see that all the cables required to use the speaker are included in the box, this includes a standard audio jack to plug into pretty much any audio equipment you can think of, and a USB jack to charge the speakers. Ah excellent, another fear put to rest; USB charging, so no batteries required.

When I take the speaker out of the box, it has a satisfying weightiness to it. I plug it into my iPod and flick the power switch to 'on'. A blue light illuminates underneath it letting me know that the power is on and that the unit is fully charged. Great, so no 16 hour initial charge up period, it's ready to go right out of the box. I turn my music on and am genuinely impressed with what I hear. The high end notes are clear and crisp, the midtones are completely audible. The bass is actually quite thumpy. Overall the sound is great. I immediately put on some of the more challenging songs in my collection, songs with enough complexity to have to be listened to through headphones or good speakers to be properly heard and appreciated. This speaker holds up just fine, and I mean it when I say it.

I am, however, going to qualify the above paragraph. Anybody who's owned a small speaker setup such as this will know that when I say 'the sound is great', I actually mean 'the sound is great..for a mini speaker'. This is afterall, a mini speaker, not a proper audio setup, and it can't hope to compete with proper stereo sound. Despite the inherent limitations, the sound is genuinely good quality. I turn the speaker up to full and there is some slight distortion with vocals and bass, but not too much and the music doesn't completely break apart as it can when pushing cheaper units to maximum volume. How loud does it go? It's difficult to say. Loud enough that the first time I turned it up to full volume, it felt a bit uncomfortable so I turned it back down a bit.

The only place the speaker falls a bit short in terms of sound is on the low consistent bass notes, they're there, but not quite like they should be. Having said that, I'm yet to see a portable speaker setup where the low bass doesn't suffer, and this holds up significantly better than most.

When putting the speaker away, it is pushed down and locked with a twist making it even smaller and easier to transport (a bit like a lockable kinder egg). The result is an impressive looking small ball of speaker ready for the carry pouch.

For those who are interested, I plugged both speakers into my iPod and the sound was increased exponentially, both in terms of quality and volume. The speakers are plugged into each other with an integrated audio cable which is conveniently hidden underneath the speaker when not in use. One speaker is plugged into the sound device, with subsequent speakers plugged into that speaker, creating a chain. The only gripe I have with this is that the wire that connects the two speakers is quite short (maybe 6 inches) meaning that there's a requirement to place the speakers quite close together.

All in all though, I'm impressed with this little speaker. It combines a truly portable setup with surprisingly good quality sound that packs a serious punch. I've given it 5 stars because for what it is (a small setup), it really can't be criticised.

As a sidenote, I ordered the silver/grey colour pictured above, and rather pleasingly, the speaker is slightly darker than pictured. I like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 1 Jan. 2014
Ms. E. Blankson "emma_vampire" (london) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have had this for a long while and it is, as the review says, absolutely brilliant. It is able to give a non tinny base and if you didn't really know, you would think it is two speakers and not a small non descript little machine.

The volume is louder than our ipod dock and actually we use it to get a fuller sound from the laptop when we watch movies on it.

It jumps, like almost dancing to the beat, if it is opened when you have something like a heavy hiphop track on, but to be honest I don't have much need to open it, it sounds great when it is closed as well.

The battery lasts for ages, so in the whole time I have had it I have hardly ever had to charge it and I use it alot.

Also I have, being clumsy, dropped it a few times and it still works very well, so it is durable.

It is the perfect speaker, so i would recommend this to anyone over any other speaker(s) and if going on holiday, it is the perfect companion for your phone/mp3 player, being that it works just from being connected into the head/ear phone port, is small and weighs very little.

Can't reccomend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - the portable speaker I've been looking for!, 5 Mar. 2013
S. Coates "soso sunshine" (Cambs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I can't recommend this product highly enough - I only received it today so can't comment on longevity or battery power but first impressions are great and, having searched a number of years for a properly 'decent' mini speaker and getting through many duds before giving up for a long time, I feel I've finally found one that manages to even exceed my expectations! It seems a lot has changed in the time since I last owned one.
Having not checked measurements, the device is smaller than I expected and really is highly portable - it would easily fit in most pockets when in the compressed, locked position (you just press it together and turn to conceal the concertina middle and turn again the other way to unlock). The design is very sleek and well thought-out and it comes with a handy black pouch to protect it. The colour is really nice and bright with a metallic finish and is pretty accurate to the photo (I got the green one).
Being so tiny, my expectations for depth and volume of sound weren't huge but don't be fooled by its looks: it can get loud. Unlike all the other mini speakers I've owned, there is very little - if any - deterioration of sound quality at high volumes which is a must for me as I generally play it loud. The sound is rich and the bass is great. Just to give an example of volume and power, when playing a song at full volume on my iPhone the speaker visibly shook on the deeper notes.
The sound could easily travel through a house at higher volumes and must be incredible if you own more than one or have a friend who owns one as they can be chained together by the cables. I'm sure this will give me many hours of enjoyment and see many different places as I can finally enjoy my music the way it SHOULD sound when I go away.
This comes from someone who owns a Bose music system and headphones and would rather not listen to music at all if it doesn't sound great so I think my opinion can be trusted. Overall, well worth the money and I would definitely buy one for someone else.

4.0 out of 5 stars Oooh Betty! R2D2 did a whoopsie in my beret!, 28 May 2013
Crookedmouth ":-/" (As seen on iPlayer) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First off, at about the size of a satsuma, this is little. By golly yes it's surprising in it's smallness; the product photo doesn't do it justice (I've uploaded a photo of my own with my last £1 coin for comparison) I have testicles bigger than this (photographic proof most definitely NOT provided). It's rather pretty too: in graphite black with an orange ceramic inset in the top and collapsed down into "transportation mode" it looks like a cylon's turd.

What you get in the box is one mono speaker with an integral audio jack which allows you to plug the speaker straight into any player with that connector. There is a three way charger cable, a cloth carry bag and a cute little sticker for your pencil case. The instruction sheet is also tiny. So miniscule that it's almost impossible to read, but then using the speaker is so simple that this is hardly a disadvantage.

Using it is, as I mentioned, simple. Merely switch the speaker on (a little blue LED comes on to show battery state) whack the jack into your MP3 player and play away. The speaker's integral battery should give you a good 20 hour's worth of play.

Now - I have two tin ears so I'm hardly the most reliable reviewer of audio equipment, but even I could tell that this is the mutt's nuts, the canine's cojones, Bonzo's doodahs etc etc. It sat in my hand and buzzed and jittered its happy way through Rammstein's Ich Tu Dir Weh, every note faithfully reproduced, and the bass line sending surprisingly powerful vibrations up my arm. Perhaps it lacks somewhat in the volume department... even wound up to 11 on the MP3 player and the speaker, your mum is hardly going to be pounding on the ceiling with a broom handle, yelling at you to "turn it down else I'll have to come up to you, sunshine!" Neither will it ever form an integral part of your home DJ system, but it's certainly loud enough to sit by your bedside or on your study table.

A nice way of using your MP3 player, mobile phone or laptop/tablet as a hi-fi. Definitely recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid: will not last long: avoid new reviews : check the reviews written after 12 months : there is a pattern, 28 Oct. 2014
Mr. C. Starke "starkey444" (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
Like many others, my Xmini is useless after just over a year. I don't use it often. When I needed it, the unit let me down. When charging, blue light is fully on indicating a full charge. Unplug the charger and the unit is dead - won't switch on. I've tried the 'jumpstart' method on the Xmini FAQ - no go. The speaker works when plugged into the USB port, but that defeats the object - it's meant to be portable.

I now have an expensive paperweight. Disappointed. Avoid if you want something that lasts. I purchased from Amazon direct too - apparently that means my unit was not a fake.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea, 28 Jan. 2014
Excellent piece of kit, if only the volume was a little more. Even at max it is only suitable for a small room and it is not at all loud. I do not like loud music, but it is quieter than my sons which is the previous version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 20 Feb. 2013
G. Oxley "g_monee" (South London UK) - See all my reviews
As a owner of The X-Mini 2nd gen speaker i wanted to buy a second one as my partner steals mine to use with her laptop everyday, I saw the UNO and thought id give it a try as i was very happy with their other products.

Although it looks similar to the 2nd Gen speaker, the Uno is slightly heavier due to the added weight which stops the unit from bouncing at high volumes which in turn causes less vibration

The Uno has a much more detailed sound, i notice less distortion in the bass frequencies giving a more accurate sound but i also notice the detail right up the audio spectrum to the highs which are also more detailed and less clouded.

its more than double the price of the older units but still a steal at £40.

4.0 out of 5 stars Improved sound for the X-mini, but (at the moment) you pay dearly for it, 28 May 2013
The Guardian (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am already a big fan of the X-mini capsule speakers and use them every day, so was interested to see this UNO design with "new ceramic drivers which deliver clearer and crisper sounds than ever before".

The UNO claims a "patented extendable vacuum that mimics the resonance of a sub-woofer (Bass Xpansion System) capable of producing explosive volume and bass over ten times its physical size". True to the promotional blurb there is no distortion even on high volume settings, and neither does the speaker vibrate and move around on hard polished surfaces like the earlier variant. The sound is absolutely fantastic for a small speaker like this.

These speakers may be used individually or several may be buddy-jacked together for increased volume. An audio jack connects with your iPod, tablet or laptop, and you use a USB cable to re-charge the speaker (18 hours battery life) from your computer. The speaker has an on/off switch, with a blue light to indicate `on' and a red light when they're charging.

In design the UNO is just like the earlier generation of X-minis, in fact the same casing is used so superficially, you can't tell the difference. The speaker has a volume control and you control the master volume from the source. There is no wireless option.

The speakers collapse and lock into something the size of a squashed snooker ball for transportation, for which a small draw-string cloth bag is supplied.

This is a great speaker with all the traditional advantages of the X-mini series, but with sharper sound. Whether you are willing to pay 3x the price of a normal X-mini for this improvement in sound is up to you, but no doubt the price will reduce over time as retailers chase your money. If it were half the price, it would get a 5-star rating.

2.0 out of 5 stars The speaker itself is good, it's light and has decent volume, 28 Sept. 2014
This review is from: XMI X-Mini Uno Portable Mini Speaker for iPhone/iPad/iPod/MP3 Player/Laptop - Purple (Electronics)
The speaker itself is good, it's light and has decent volume. The reason for only awarding it three stars is that after about a year, during it which it was probably used 30 times, the plastic cable that sits under the speaker and pops out to connect it to your phone started to break at either end. So where the plastic sheath on the cable joins the plug and where it joins the speaker split revealing the wiring inside, which soon broke. I'm not aware of it getting any rough handling so I won't be replacing like for like.