Published 13 months ago by Keith_Joseph

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea
Excellent piece of kit, if only the volume was a little more. Even at max it is only suitable for a small room and it is not at all loud. I do not like loud music, but it is quieter than my sons which is the previous version.
Published 6 months ago by Liz

5.0 out of 5 stars Not sure the Uno justifies the premium over its cheaper sibling, the Xmini II, but a great ultra-portable speaker, 4 July 2013
Keith_Joseph (West Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When this unit arrived I was a bit surprised that it was the same size as the cheaper 15 XMi XMini II portable mini speaker, in fact you would be pushed to tell them apart. This isn't a bad thing as it makes the Uno ultraportable. They both come with similar accessories as well, a nice felt travel bag and a 60cm micro-USB2 recharge combined 3.5mm headphone cable. However this Xmini Uno is noticeably heavier at 112g compared its cheaper 83g sibling, probably due to it having a bigger battery lasting up to 20 hours not 11 hours on one charge. The Uno's extra weight also keeps it from moving about when the sounds turned up. Plus the Uno does feel noticeably more solid in construction than the cheap Xmini II. Other than the recharge/headphone cable being a bit thin and flimsy, the Xmini Uno is well built and easy to use. You charge via the USB2 cable, and feed analogue music into the speaker via the 3.5mm headphone out on the iPod/MP3 player. The Uno has LEDs for charging indication, an on/off switch and a volume control (the iPod volume control also adjusts Uno sound levels). Given the flimsy USB2 charging cable, I tend to charge the speaker via a USB 13A mains/12v car adapter, as from experience I know a 5V power feed short in the USB2 cable can fry a PC's motherboard and CPU (the USB2 cable isn't used for PC data transfer anyway). The internal Uno battery takes around 2.5 hours to recharge.

I compared this Xmini Uno with our many Xmini II's and the sound is clearly weightier with a bit more bass. In comparison the cheaper Xmini II's sound is lighter and brighter (which helps clarity), and although the II's bass is poorer and not as noticeable as the Uno's, it still manages to convey the beat. Both the Uno and the II's go fairly loud for their small 4cm size, and both go to pretty much the same volume. Sound quality doesn't markedly improve at high volume, although there's generally no major distortion at max. Neither are tonally accurate HiFi wise, but their tonal balance is pleasant enough, and you have the iPod's equalization control. I'm into pop, rock and some electric folk, i.e. vocals, and I found I was really quite happy with the sound from either the 40 Uno or the 15 IIs, which does make the II's better value for me. Overall I didn't think the difference in sound quality wowed me enough to make the Uno a preferable buy at 40 (it is far more tempting when on offer for under 30). Our cheaper Xmini II's seem reliable having lasted 2 years, which bodes well for the upgraded Uno, although being so small and always on the move they do have a tendency to get lost about the house.

Still the Uno's improved sound, build quality and extra 9 hours battery life is very welcome, so 5* for features/sound/portability and 4* for value. Although bulkier and weighing 424g, if I was moving up from the Xmini's, I would save up my pennies and go for the superb 90 MINIRIG rechargeable speaker instead, which offers great mono sound, superb looks & build quality, loud volume and a 50h battery life. For highly rated stereo portable rechargeable speakers also check out the 20 Music Angel Friendz and the 100 Bluetooth enabled Cambridge Audio Minx Go speakers. You can link together Unos (and Xmini IIs) via their inbuilt 3.5mm audio cable for a louder mono sound, or connect two in stereo using a Y Cable, but we prefer the simple ultra-portability of one Uno. The Uno is available in dark grey and five bright colours. It has a one year warranty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Sound, 23 April 2013
J. Stocks "hip-hop-head" (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews
So the Xmini Uno Portable arrives in the post and I'm eager to test it out. I say 'it', but I really mean 'them' as I bought 2 (I will refer to them singularly from this point onwards).

The speaker comes nicely packaged, hovering in a clear plastic box and I'm immediately impressed by the small size of the unit. But being so small, I'm also somewhat concerned about its capabilities.

As I'm unpacking the speaker, some fears are immediately put to rest. Firstly, transporting the unit around. I can see a small black carry pouch is included in the box. Having looked at it, it's more than sufficient for keeping the speaker free from damage when moving around. It's also big enough to fit the speaker's cable in. Secondly, as just mentioned, the cables. I'm relieved to see that all the cables required to use the speaker are included in the box, this includes a standard audio jack to plug into pretty much any audio equipment you can think of, and a USB jack to charge the speakers. Ah excellent, another fear put to rest; USB charging, so no batteries required.

When I take the speaker out of the box, it has a satisfying weightiness to it. I plug it into my iPod and flick the power switch to 'on'. A blue light illuminates underneath it letting me know that the power is on and that the unit is fully charged. Great, so no 16 hour initial charge up period, it's ready to go right out of the box. I turn my music on and am genuinely impressed with what I hear. The high end notes are clear and crisp, the midtones are completely audible. The bass is actually quite thumpy. Overall the sound is great. I immediately put on some of the more challenging songs in my collection, songs with enough complexity to have to be listened to through headphones or good speakers to be properly heard and appreciated. This speaker holds up just fine, and I mean it when I say it.

I am, however, going to qualify the above paragraph. Anybody who's owned a small speaker setup such as this will know that when I say 'the sound is great', I actually mean 'the sound is great..for a mini speaker'. This is afterall, a mini speaker, not a proper audio setup, and it can't hope to compete with proper stereo sound. Despite the inherent limitations, the sound is genuinely good quality. I turn the speaker up to full and there is some slight distortion with vocals and bass, but not too much and the music doesn't completely break apart as it can when pushing cheaper units to maximum volume. How loud does it go? It's difficult to say. Loud enough that the first time I turned it up to full volume, it felt a bit uncomfortable so I turned it back down a bit.

The only place the speaker falls a bit short in terms of sound is on the low consistent bass notes, they're there, but not quite like they should be. Having said that, I'm yet to see a portable speaker setup where the low bass doesn't suffer, and this holds up significantly better than most.

When putting the speaker away, it is pushed down and locked with a twist making it even smaller and easier to transport (a bit like a lockable kinder egg). The result is an impressive looking small ball of speaker ready for the carry pouch.

For those who are interested, I plugged both speakers into my iPod and the sound was increased exponentially, both in terms of quality and volume. The speakers are plugged into each other with an integrated audio cable which is conveniently hidden underneath the speaker when not in use. One speaker is plugged into the sound device, with subsequent speakers plugged into that speaker, creating a chain. The only gripe I have with this is that the wire that connects the two speakers is quite short (maybe 6 inches) meaning that there's a requirement to place the speakers quite close together.

All in all though, I'm impressed with this little speaker. It combines a truly portable setup with surprisingly good quality sound that packs a serious punch. I've given it 5 stars because for what it is (a small setup), it really can't be criticised.

As a sidenote, I ordered the silver/grey colour pictured above, and rather pleasingly, the speaker is slightly darker than pictured. I like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - the portable speaker I've been looking for!, 5 Mar 2013
S. Coates "soso sunshine" (Cambs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I can't recommend this product highly enough - I only received it today so can't comment on longevity or battery power but first impressions are great and, having searched a number of years for a properly 'decent' mini speaker and getting through many duds before giving up for a long time, I feel I've finally found one that manages to even exceed my expectations! It seems a lot has changed in the time since I last owned one.
Having not checked measurements, the device is smaller than I expected and really is highly portable - it would easily fit in most pockets when in the compressed, locked position (you just press it together and turn to conceal the concertina middle and turn again the other way to unlock). The design is very sleek and well thought-out and it comes with a handy black pouch to protect it. The colour is really nice and bright with a metallic finish and is pretty accurate to the photo (I got the green one).
Being so tiny, my expectations for depth and volume of sound weren't huge but don't be fooled by its looks: it can get loud. Unlike all the other mini speakers I've owned, there is very little - if any - deterioration of sound quality at high volumes which is a must for me as I generally play it loud. The sound is rich and the bass is great. Just to give an example of volume and power, when playing a song at full volume on my iPhone the speaker visibly shook on the deeper notes.
The sound could easily travel through a house at higher volumes and must be incredible if you own more than one or have a friend who owns one as they can be chained together by the cables. I'm sure this will give me many hours of enjoyment and see many different places as I can finally enjoy my music the way it SHOULD sound when I go away.
This comes from someone who owns a Bose music system and headphones and would rather not listen to music at all if it doesn't sound great so I think my opinion can be trusted. Overall, well worth the money and I would definitely buy one for someone else.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea, 28 Jan 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 20 Feb 2013
G. Oxley "g_monee" (South London UK) - See all my reviews
As a owner of The X-Mini 2nd gen speaker i wanted to buy a second one as my partner steals mine to use with her laptop everyday, I saw the UNO and thought id give it a try as i was very happy with their other products.

Although it looks similar to the 2nd Gen speaker, the Uno is slightly heavier due to the added weight which stops the unit from bouncing at high volumes which in turn causes less vibration

The Uno has a much more detailed sound, i notice less distortion in the bass frequencies giving a more accurate sound but i also notice the detail right up the audio spectrum to the highs which are also more detailed and less clouded.

its more than double the price of the older units but still a steal at 40.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very compact and portable, 28 May 2013
Dr. Paul Ell (NI, UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This speaker is ideal for use when travelling. I've found once fully charged by USB the in-built rechargeable battery will last for a good 18 hours, just slightly less than the manufacturer figure. The expanded - accordion like speaker - shown in the Amazon photo's can be closed to form a complete protective plastic shell. In addition the speaker has an inbuilt audio cord for connecting to your phone or tablet via the earphone output, and a carry case. You only need to carry the light USB charing cable if you're going to use the speaker for more than 18 hours.

There are some sacrifices for such a small and light speaker. I found the maximum volume to be not quite loud enough. Plus the bass while not bad is a little disappointing. Overall though, a thoughtfully designed small speaker that fulfils a market niche.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Speaker, 8 Mar 2014
Very impressive sound for such a small speaker, I already had one, but bought one for my partner as he kept stealing it

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 11 Feb 2014
Ideal for my purpose ,small to tuck away sound better than i expected for so small a speaker ,go from room to room and take it with me no plugging in to bother with just connect to i pod and thats it,good stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 6 Feb 2014
I spent a very long time looking for a mini speaker to use with my iPod nano 7th gen. After reading all the reviews I decided on the Xmini Uno. Received it a couple of days after placing the order and used it straight away. Wow. So glad I chose this 1. It is perfect, I listen to it mostly while in the kitchen, cooking dinner. It's not the loudest of speakers but for a 'mini' speaker its fine. I have had the volume right up and the music isn't distorted. I love the fact that it comes with its own pouch. It is lightweight but heavy enough that it doesn't move about while music is playing. I'm so happy with it, I've gone and ordered another 1.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound and very portable, 4 Feb 2014
Ideal to work with ipod, iphone or connect to your tablet or laptop. I am a trainer and it enhances the speakers in the laptop and is so easy to carry around, I love it.