4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but
Works well, but is more complicated even for simple tasks than the old version (3.0) I've been using for using for years and I can only get it to record from external inputs whereas I used to be able to record whatever was playing from the sound card.
Published 21 months ago by David Vickery

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed - prefer earlier versions
I have been a long term user of Magix Audio Cleaning Lab, going right back to Audio Cleaning Lab 10.

The main reason for being disappointed with this new version of Audio Cleaning Lab is because the spectral cleaning facility is far less effective than previous versions.

Published 21 months ago by Nick Charleston

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed - prefer earlier versions, 19 July 2013
This review is from: MAGIX Audio Cleaning Lab 2013 (PC) (DVD-ROM)

The addition of the Spectral Cleaning Editor in past versions was a real benefit for anyone wanting to clean up problematic recordings. For example, LPs sometimes have thumps and bumps that declicking software cannot remove entirely. The Spectral Cleaner would successfully remove all but the very largest of thumps and was thus a remarkably powerful feature, even more so considering the relatively low price of Audio Cleaning Lab.

In Audio Cleaning Lab 2013, spectral cleaning is no longer a stand alone feature in the Cleaning menu. It is now only available in a much less flexible form in the main window. With previous versions one could refine the spectral editing by choosing crossfading, damping and other noise reduction types in the Spectral Cleaning Editor. All these functions - and others - are missing in the 2013 version. As a result, the spectral cleaning does not work as well, and in fact several large clicks and thumps I tried to process were only partly removed, whereas in previous versions they were fully removed.

The new simplified spectral cleaner is certainly easier to use, and may therefore appeal to some users, but why remove the more powerful Spectral Cleaning Editor? Why not offer both facilities? In fact, Audio Cleaning Lab 17 DID have both!

Another way I feel this product has taken a step backwards concerns the denoiser. The denoiser in earlier versions was a very powerful and useful tool that did not produce unwanted artifacts so long as it was used properly. However, in the 2013 version the denoiser starts to produce a slight pumping sound even when applied at very low levels, and it also sounds as if it is overly damping the music in a way that previous versions didn't. With some forms of heavily processed electronic music this may not be noticed, but it is noticeable when applying it to early classical and jazz LP tracks.

Magix also claim that Audio Cleaning Lab 2013 is much faster at processing files than earlier versions, but that has not been my experience.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great software ruined, 28 July 2013
D. Prudence (Reading, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MAGIX Audio Cleaning Lab 2013 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I strongly agree with the other reviewers who find this version of Audio Cleaning Lab a massive disappointment. I have been using what I consider the best version [Audio Lab 15] almost daily for years, and also own Lab 16 and 17. I found this version completely unusable and returned it to Magix for a refund. Like some other reviewers I rely on using Spectral Cleaning to remove individual clicks, thumps etc from analogue recordings- in this version it has been ruined. I soon gave up with it as it seemed the whole package had been emasculated from an excellent tool to some kind of novelty product - you cannot even load CDs directly into projects but have to copy them by other means first!

I fear that with this development that we have seen the last of Audio Cleaning Lab as a useful tool, particularly as Magix seem impervious to all customer comments or suggestions.

I recommend if you have Windows 7 you track down Audio Cleaning Lab 17 rather than waste your time on this version.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but, 15 July 2013
This review is from: MAGIX Audio Cleaning Lab 2013 (PC) (DVD-ROM)

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended if the older version won't work with Windows 8., 3 Aug. 2014
This review is from: MAGIX Audio Cleaning Lab 2013 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Like others I had to invest in an up to date version as the much loved tried and tested version isn't compatible with Windows 8. While the new features are welcome and the overall format thankfully maintained I found the program more difficult to use. It took me a long time to work out how to do a seemingly simple task I could previously do in seconds with the old version. I also preferred the slider controls the old version had to the rotary now used. Still a good product in the main.

2.0 out of 5 stars Simplicity of use is paramount and although I think some of the improvements are there in the technologies the simplicity has be, 30 Oct. 2014
This review is from: MAGIX Audio Cleaning Lab 2013 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I preferred the old system overall ...the idea that a change in colour and icons some so small as to be difficult to see is only change for change sake. Simplicity of use is paramount and although I think some of the improvements are there in the technologies the simplicity has been lost and on balance I was disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars More than just Vinyl and Cassette Sound Cleaning, 24 May 2013
This review is from: MAGIX Audio Cleaning Lab 2013 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
This was purchased as an upgrade with a new PC as I have not completed my cassette and record.
This version is easier to use than my earlier one to record from both cassette and vinyl. There are new functions to clean up the sound and remove hiss, scratches etc with a lot more mastering functions.
The primary focus is on this activity but you can also do a lot more to the input. We have a problem with low level road noise when recording from a microphone and one of the functions will remove this easily. There are all sorts of functions most of which I have yet to explore.

This looks expensive but does a great job

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy, 24 Mar. 2014
Stephen Ellis (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MAGIX Audio Cleaning Lab 2013 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Had an earlier version of this program and delighted with this new version. It was £20 cheaper than buying it direct and yet it still had the so-called "freebie" of the MP3 program as well. This was a superb deal and arrived ahead of schedule. Hope I can do business again.

5.0 out of 5 stars I had an older version of this about 20 years ..., 11 Jan. 2015
This review is from: MAGIX Audio Cleaning Lab 2013 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I had an older version of this about 20 years ago and bought this because that wouldn't load onto our new computer. This is very comprehensive and will do far more than I will ever need. I'm not a sound technician - just use it to transfer music from tapes originally and now from a digital mixer to CD's mostly. It's straightforward.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very good once you get the hang of it..., 17 Mar. 2015
Dr. P. S. Mccarthy (Tipperary, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MAGIX Audio Cleaning Lab 2013 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Once you get handy with this software it is first class value and first class functionally. That said, the 'help' option is demonically useless. Trial and error got me to where I am with it which is okay but why the manufacturers don't go the 'last bit' and provide a useful and clear help support is impenetrably stupid of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is brilliant. Using it and its easy to use tape ..., 20 Jan. 2015
This is brilliant. Using it and its easy to use tape clean up tools I have now successfully remastered old tapes to pc and they sound great. Some of my old tapes - or cassettes, if you like - are over 25-30 years old! The hiss was gruesome, but this fantastic machine ate that hiss alive - hurray! A great buy.

MAGIX Audio Cleaning Lab 2013 (PC)
MAGIX Audio Cleaning Lab 2013 (PC) by Magix Entertainment Ltd (Windows 7 / 8 / Vista / XP)