The new Tassimo Joy is a very well designed and rather 'cool' machine which is incredibly easy to use and produces a range of drinks (unsurprisingly, predominantly coffees) at little more than a flick of a switch. First set up is straightforward: within 5 minutes you can have carried out the pretty-well automated initial clean and be sipping your drink of choice...
Published 19 months ago by S. J. Williams

2.0 out of 5 stars Expensive way to make drinks
Some years ago we had a Nestlé Dolce Gusto machine that was very similar in principle. Ultimately we got rid of it because the refills were dear, it was noisy and the resulting drinks we really quite average and not worth the premium cost.

In many respects the Tassimo Joy is really not substantially different. It's fundamentally a rapid water boiler that...
Published 19 months ago by Kevin Hall

4.0 out of 5 stars Well designed and convenient to use: recommended IF you can find a blend you like!, 24 Feb 2013
S. J. Williams "stevejw2" (Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Clean up is minimal: emptying any accumulated spills from the cup shelf and rinsing out the plastic water tank (which holds a generous 1.4l so you won't be constantly having to refill) is about it, and really, unless you've been pretty careless and failed to choose a sensible cup size, there SHOULD be no spills. Insertion and removal of the drink 'pod' is a doddle and takes seconds. So ideal for those who are in a rush and like their drink immediately and with no effort at all: perfect for bleary-eyed early mornings and exhausted homecomings. Compared to a number of machines of this type that I have tried, the temperature of the drinks is higher than most - unless you like to have your coffee scalding hot, you won't be rushing to the microwave to give the cup a temperature boost, as some friends of mine have to do with their Nespresso. The Tassimo process certainly produces an optimal version of the specific drink brew you have chosen.

For me, however, there are some negatives, not so much about this machine as compared to others, but to do with the nature of the beast;
1. You are tied to a delivery system which is not cheap when compared to more traditional ways of making coffee - on average about £4.00 for 16 drinks which do not have a creamer component, 8 drinks for £4.00 if you buy drinks with a creamer. Not going to break the bank, but a consideration. Of course, the T discs are available on Amazon for less, but the savings are not massive.
2. You are tied to a pretty limited choice of beverages from a narrow range of providers. The coffee I have most enjoyed recently was a gift from a Brazilian friend: there's no way this blend will ever be 'Tassimoed', and my everyday favourite, Lavazza Crema di Gusta, is not on the list and, I suspect, is unlikely ever to appear. The Tassimo blends are broadly speaking very predictable and pretty unimaginative.
3. I'm not sure that the Tassimo process is significantly better as far as taste is concerned than my hitherto method of choice of coffee making - Aeropress Coffee Maker + Extra 350 Micro Filters - Aerobie which is quick, (2-3 minutes, less if the water is ready) relatively clean and relatively inexpensive (£25.00 for the maker and filters) in initial outlay. Added to which, the cost is simply that of the basic ingredients. I am NOT a coffee connoisseur, but I think the Aeropress offers a more personally controllable brew.) However, I think a coffee produced in a Tassimo is better than the same blend produced by many methods, such as filter or cafetierre. But whilst it IS quick, and cleanup is pretty insignificant, at least in those terms it cannot quite compete with the Tassimo.

These machines do the job very well and quickly, if they make the discs in your drink of choice (see Amazon or the Tassimo site for the full range): if speed and convenience are more important to you than cost, these are brilliant buys. 5*s by those criteria.

Post script November 2013: I have to admit extended use has won me over even more to the pleasures of Tassimo-ed coffee, having found (after quite a lot of expense and trial and error) a blend that I really like - Maestro Lorenzo Espresso/Intenso - lovely!

Also, at last the TASSIMO website shows information about recycling of the t-discs: for months the company showed no interest in what is for me an important consideration. In the end I managed to source information independently. At long last the Tassimo website has provided this info on the site and I have posted off (free) my second load of pods to TERRACYCLE. That's great news - guilt-free coffee!.

But I have also been advised that my coffee of choice for the Tassimo is being withdrawn, which for me is bad news as I don't like the alternatives enough to continue with the machine! That's a real pain! (It would seem that the company is only interested in selling product that will shift by the container-load, and not with the interests of customers! A delivery system without an Italian coffee option seems to me to be crazy!)

Update September 2014: The range of espressos has shrunk to 4, 3 made by the same company Carte Noir, and one of those is decaff. Plus a Jacobs. I don't like Carte Noir and I'm not mad about the Jacobs so I have to assume Tassimo are not bothered with having my continuing custom and that of others who like some sort of genuine choice. I now I have a product that I won't be using. Cheers Tassimo, I can no longer recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the money, 31 Dec 2013
Pros
Set up and operation of the machine is a doddle and you are enjoying your first coffee in minutes of receiving it.
Machine is so easy to use, enter pod, press large button and that's it.
Easy to clean
Good range of products to enjoy.
Looks stylish
Predominately high quality results across the drinks range
Costa products are a bonus

Cons
The ease of use does restrict ability to tailor drinks size & strength
Pods can be really expensive @ £4 to £5 a pack for only 8 lattes/ cappuccino or 16 espresso / americano (however there are offers on amazon to get 5 packs for £15 currently)

Overall
It's never going to produce the same quality results you get through using a high end Gaggia for making the perfect espresso however for the price it is really good. It produces a pretty nice crema on your drinks and is so easy to use that you do find yourself making coffees constantly. You need to factor in the outlay required on pods if you are going to use the machine a lot but as somebody who previously spent £6 a day on costa coffees it is probably going to save me money in the long term as my morning costa is now enjoyed at home and my post work costa can wait the extra 20 mins till I return home.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Regrets!, 15 July 2014
This review is from: Bosch Tassimo Joy, White/Chrome (Kitchen & Home)
I recently decided to purchase this machine for myself. It is my first pod coffee machine, so I was really hesitant, but decided on the Tassimo make as you can buy the Costa pods and there is a much wider variety than most other pod machines. I read up about the machine and about Tassimo and the pods in general just to get an idea of what the machines/pods were like and I hope this review will help other people out there on their decision.
I absolutely love this machine! it is so basic and easy to operate and is really quick! The foam that is produced from the machine and the pod is even better than the froth I get from my espresso machine. I have absolutely no regrets on my purchase at all.
Regarding the T discs, I read that they are expensive. In a sense I can see where these comments come from, but if you pay £5 for 8 Cappuccino's, I don't think this is a bad price at all. you would pay roughly £2 for one at Costa. I don't use the machine all day everyday, only in the evening or on weekends is when I use it, for those special cups of coffee/tea/hot chocolate, so I don't find the discs too pricey.
As for the coffee creamer, there are also a lot of complaints about these and they taste terrible and people use their own milk, which made me hesitant. I am use to drinking coffee with fresh milk, long life milk and powder milk even, so for me, it doesn't bother me, I don't think there is anything wrong with the taste. There is a hint of a powder milk taste in the milk discs, but as I said, it's so frothy and lovely, it doesn't bother me.
The only downside to this is that the machine and the T discs are not available in South Africa and I would love to buy this for my family. But other than that, I cannot fault the machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine cup of coffee, 28 Dec 2013
Mrs. Susan McConnell "Tyrone Minx" (Gortin, Omagh, Co Tyrone) - See all my reviews
This machine is simple to use and produces a very nice cup of coffee. One button operation makes it simple enough to operate BEFORE your first morning cup.
I recommend getting a variety pack of T-Discs to start so you can try different types of tea, coffee and chocolate in order to decide on your favourites. The best prices for T-Discs seems to be the Amazon subscribe and save service.
I also recommend that you look into a location where you can recycle all those little plastic pods.

(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

4.0 out of 5 stars Produces excellent hot drinks, 5 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This elegant machine has clever gizmos inside it, and it produces all the kind of brews one would find in a good coffee shop. In case you don't know, it works with special pods of coffee, tea or chocolate, not with loose ground coffee. Bar codes on the pods tell the machine how much hot water to push through, eg small amount for an expresso, more for a mug of coffee or tea. The water "tank" is filled, and just one cup at a time heated instantaneously as its pumped through the machine, not like a filter machine, which pumps ALL the water through at once. This means you can leave it standing by, and just pop in a pod for a drink whenever you feel like it.

I would have given it 5 stars but for the fact that the pods are quite expensive - typically around £4.50 per pack of 16 (note that some packs contain only 8 cups, eg the Cadbury's chocolate, which is a bit insipid, by the way!), and if you wanted to make coffee for a dinner party, you'd be standing over the machine making maybe 6 or more cups individually, then possibly second cups!

One good thing is that when you sign up to the "mytassimo" website, you get a £20 voucher to spend, and if you spend a total of £35 minimum, (an extra £15 on top of the voucher)you get free delivery. This enables you to choose from a selection of coffees, 1 tea (Twinings English Breakfast - weak and tasteless, don't bother!), and 3 chocolates. Total of 35+ different kinds, different size cups, and different intensities. It means you can decide which ones you like best, and will stick with, without spending too much money.

All in all, if you are a coffee lover this is a good machine. If you aren't particularly fussy, then don't bother!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Easy to Use and Very Easy to Clean - Additional T-Pods Required To Get Started, 24 Feb 2013
Amazon Customer (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For those looking for a stylish and easy to use and clean multi-variant coffee shop style hot drinks maker, this Bosch unit is extremely easy to use and clean and does not take up too much room in the kitchen. There are a number of different systems on the market, but the Tassimo system appears to have the most variety of hot drinks in its portfolio. One of the major unique selling points of this system is the the 'Intelligent Barcode Reader' which means that each drinks pod has a barcode printed on it to give the machine instructions on how much water to dispense through and the temperature of the water which should give a consistent drinks experience every time a drink is made - i.e. the coffee /tea / hot chocolate should taste the same every time and the best concentration according to the drink's manufacturer's specification.

Inside the box, there is the Bosch Tassimo Machine (with a service pod neatly hidden inside the storage compartment at the back of the machine behind the water tank), instruction manuals include a quick start pictorial guide if you don't fancy reading the full manual on first use and information on the online Tassimo website where the pods for the machine can be purchased.

After unpacking the unit out of the box, very little set up required and running the initial cleaning cycle (running water through the system 4 times using the included service pod- which is a blank plastic disc with a bar code printed on it), the unit is ready for use. Just refill the generously sized 1.4L water tank and you are ready to go - as long as you have some Tassimo Pods (T-Pods) ready. Please note, this unit does not come with any Tassimo Pods, so you will need to purchase some in order to make any drinks at all as you cannot use any other system pods. There is a wide range of different drinks available, some from the major supermarkets, but others that are only available exclusively at the Tassimo online store. The contents of the coffee and chocolate pods are manufactured by various major brands, (Bosch just makes the machine to dispense the drinks).

After returning from the supermarket with a range of drinks to try out, the unit was put to the test with:

Coffee - CARTE NOIRE LATTE MACCHIATO (8 drinks to a box)
This was the first ever drink that was made with this unit. This beverage comes as a two pod drink (a large sized concentrated milk creamer pod and a coffee pod filled with ground coffee). This Bosch Tassimo machine can accommodate the larger sized pods, which apparently some other Tassimo models don't and can't make some of the speciality drinks available. The machine makes a latte coffee with a pleasantly tasting creamy froth and a decent tasting cup of coffee - comparable with a reasonably well made major chain barrista style coffee. The drink is literally made in a few seconds (no boiling a kettle required). Put the pod in, close the lid and press the big button. A flashing mug light shows that the machine is working, and then a few seconds later the first part of drink is dispensed. The mug light stops flashing and the the second pod can be put in. When the lid is lifted and the used pod is removed, there is no mess inside the compartment. The second pod is put in, and the second half of the drink is dispensed. What is lacking however, is the very distinctive strong coffee aroma you get with a barrista style coffee machine or a Nespresso when coffee is being made - this may be due to the Tassimo method of liquid velocity to brew instead of steam pressure? Or it could be due to the coffee product chosen. There was very little mess left after making the latte and no requirement to clean the unit when a different flavour drink is made next.

Hot Chocolate - CADBURY'S (8 drinks to a box)
This drink, again comes as two parts - a concentrated liquid chocolate pod and a standard sized concentrated milk pod. The chocolate pod is put in first, as per instructions on the packet and the big button is pressed. There is a hum, then a hiss as water is being forced into the pod and then a trickle of hot chocolate essence is dispensed, the mug light stops flashing, indicating that the next pod can be put in and the lid is lifted. Unfortunately it appeared that not all of the chocolate has been dispensed and some of it has leaked out, requiring some cleaning before the next pod is put in. In looking into other reviews of the chocolate pods themselves, it apparently can happen if the pod is stored too cold and running the non pierced pod under a warm tap and then drying before inserting into the Tassimo machine solved this issue on a second attempt to make hot chocolate and left no mess. Fortunately this Bosch machine has been well designed to come apart for easy cleaning. A couple of pieces easily click out for a quick wash under the tap and the non removable part can be wiped with a damp cloth to remove the chocolate residue. The machine is quickly reassembled and the drink is completed with the second pod. The resulting pod was disappointing as not all the chocolate was dispensed, making the drink slightly watery and bland. This might be due to the particular flavour of pod, but the functionality of the the Bosch machine was fine and after the second pod was removed, the inside chamber is clean.

Tea - TWININGS CHAI LATTE (8 drinks to a box)
This another two part drink, a creamer pod and a tea pod with real tea leaves inside. This drink was made with with no problems and no mess made in just over a minute. The tea dispensed is quite strong, but you can add extra water immediately at the end of the cycle by holding down the stop/start button to adjust to taste.

Once all the drinks were made, the unit was very easy to clean, though I would recommend running the service disc at the end of a drinks making cycle as the first cup of service water was slightly brown from the brewing, but clear after a second cycle. Having owned a Nespresso machine for many years that requires some fiddly cleaning, the ease of use and cleaning of the unit was very pleasing. Most removable cleanable parts pop out with ease and can be put into the dishwasher (apart from the water tank which is handwash only). The other parts are easy to wipe plastic or metal.

To conclude, if you want an all round hot drinks machine that makes reasonably pleasant tasting flavoured hot drinks, some similar to the taste of major coffee shop chains at home, this unit is very good, functional, nicely designed and extremely easy to clean, this machine is worth considering though if you really like your coffee, you are probably going to want a dedicated coffee maker anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Variety, 11 Jan 2014
Great machine with stylish looks. Easy to use and the drinks are quick to make. What makes the Tassimo the best for us is the range of available drinks far better than the competition who only do coffee. The ability to make teas made it the best choice for us. Not tried all the drinks yet but very impressed.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, quick del that we payed for. will use seller again., 7 Jan 2014
buy quite a few pods, when you buy a joy machine,,as no drinks given with the machine.when you buy it. feelet let down by that.

5.0 out of 5 stars coffee machine, 16 Dec 2013
This review is from: Bosch Tassimo Joy, White/Chrome (Kitchen & Home)
amazed at the speed this was sent its great I have had one before but this one is much quicker to use

Bosch Tassimo Joy, White/Chrome