5.0 out of 5 stars Very creepy!!!
Published 12 months ago by Sacha Webber

3.0 out of 5 stars Gambling crazy
Not a bad book, but I couldn't understand why, as there is really only one person at fault, other people were involved. However I suppose it wouldn't be a story otherwise. Also, why did the little girl want Leila when she already had two caring parents?
Published 10 months ago by Jeannie

1.0 out of 5 stars Predictable and unconvincing, 5 Dec 2013
This review is from: Cursed Casino (Kindle Edition)
I am an ardent reader of supernatural/horror novels/films and this book CURSED CASINO did nothing for me whatsoever. It was too far fetched and obvious in parts. Too predictable and unconvincing. I wasn't scared or frightened and the hairs on the back of my neck didn't stand to attention at any time. I want a gut wrenching, nerve shattering head pounding read.(But not blood, gut and gore.)

2.0 out of 5 stars An OK-ish equivalent of a TV film, 1 Oct 2013
This review is from: Cursed Casino (Kindle Edition)
I like a disaster/ghost story and this wasn't too bad, with an interesting twist or two. The ending was, however, highly unsatisfactory. The novella could have been edited a bit better, and occasionally, the style of writing was quite weird for a contemporary story. I'm going to be reading another book by this author that I bought at the same time but I don't think these books will be adorning my shelves regularly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gambling crazy, 26 Sep 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Very creepy!!!, 29 July 2013
This review is from: Cursed Casino (Kindle Edition)
This is one of those books that I saw like a movie in my head while I was reading it. I love a good ghost story and this one had the hairs on my head standing on end many many times! The authors writing was so great, I have read similar books which end up being too confusing jumping from person to person and changing times, but this was a gem. In my opinion this is a must read for any ghost story fan, and I'm looking forward to reading the next Sara Brooke book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 17 Jun 2014
Sm Campton "Penpal3004" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cursed Casino (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed it, a bit sad I've come to the end of the series of books wrote by Sara. Really good story bit sad the ending depending how you look at it. Very well written and kept me gripped.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!, 15 Feb 2013
Cathy Hudson (Waterlooville, Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cursed Casino (Kindle Edition)
This is another absolute sure-fire hit from the unrelenting imagination of Sara Brooke. I never cease to be amazed by the seemingly limitless amount of talent this lady has and this book shows just how versatile her writing style can be.

This is something completely different to anything else I have read by Sara Brooke. She still hits all the right notes in the paranormal genre but somehow, this is a lot -I don't know how else to describe it- 'weirder' than anything else she has written before, but manages to be just as compelling and entertaining.

I was wrapped up in this book within the first few pages. I hated to finish it, but loved the ending with everything wrapped up so perfectly.

I would recommend this book in a heartbeat. Sara Brooke is rapidly becoming one of my favourite writers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Subtly Terrifying Supernatural with Karmic Hubris, 23 Jan 2013
Review of Cursed Casino by Sara Brooke
5 Stars

Sara Brooke demonstrates a hallmark of an excellent writer: starting off soundly, and then improving with every single new writing, whether it's novel, short story, or novella. If I had to choose between all of Ms. Brooke's publications to date, I think I would select "Cursed Casino" and "Kransen House," though I rate all excellent and well worth rereading.

The reader's hook in "Cursed Casino" grabs the reader immediately; I don't know how anyone could put the book down after those scenes, certainly not me. I like Sara's approach to character backstory. I really liked the concept of rebuilding the exact same type of hotel and casino, with the exact same name, on the exact same location-two years after the destruction, because that is SO tempting fate and SO inevitably going to have ugly consequences. In both cases (prior to the hurricane, and in the contemporary renovated casino) it's amazing how totally nave the patrons and management are: sort of a "it can't happen here mentality" (I'm thinking of, for example, the Jonestown Flood, the Toccoa Falls Flood, and of course Katrina) simultaneously with a "it won't happen to me, if it happens at all" hubris. Gotta love it..because of course the readers knows how wrong that is.

And I like that gentle telegraphing, by which the Supernatural elements are brought in subtly at first. By Chapter 3 I had serious chills going on, ready to see what this author could bring forth. Another good element is in Ryan's recounting of the history surrounding the end of the prior casino/barge and the lobbying to build the new one. In the background, I could easily visualize the "new ownership" being some kind of holding company orchestrated by the Devil, or some demonic element, specifically to create a similar situation in which to wipe out hundreds of people at one time, as did the hurricane.

I think that the best theme for me in this story is the working out of the karma due to the hubris, the sheer overwhelming GREED that motivated the construction and operation of the first casino, and then the new construction of the replacement; that GREED that determined that hundreds of lives lost was an immaterial cost of operation. Such arrogance, to rebuild at all, plus in the same location, and then to schedule opening for the anniversary date!

I really did not expect any of the denouements of the last several chapters (though I applauded all) and not of the Epilogue-but again, the outcome was very fitting. In summary, this novel rocks!

1.0 out of 5 stars Spooky, 16 Sep 2013
This review is from: Cursed Casino (Kindle Edition)
I didn't realise what this was about before I read it. I don't like spooky books. I should as previewed it first.

Cursed Casino