5.0 out of 5 stars Marines
Another book purchased for my Kindle at a bargain-price.
I'm ex-infantry myself and somewhat critical of 'first-person shooter' novels, no matter when they might be set. They never seem to get it quite right...
Published 17 months ago by Mr Rob Knight

3.0 out of 5 stars Mental chewing gum.
Holiday read, unlikely to read sequels, however for what it cost it was ok. This will never be a sci fi classic; mildly entertaining.
Published 9 months ago by ADP1965

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Marines, 14 Feb 2013
Another book purchased for my Kindle at a bargain-price.
However, I was pleasantly surprised by this book - despite being sci-fi, it has a ring of authenticity about it, which to me makes it seem more like some of the autobiographical works to come out of WW2 and Korea, or the conflicts in Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan than a work of fiction.
The battle sequences are deftly handled, the action moves along at a good pace and the author has a very good grasp of what it feel like to be under fire and taking casualties.
We were always taught that 'no plan survives first contact with the enemy' or put another way: if it can go wrong, it will - and it's something this author has taken to heart when setting out his set-piece battles. If you've read Heinlein's 'Starship Troopers', the concept of armoured-infantry is nothing new, but the author manages to make it seem a little more believable and takes it up a notch or two.
Aside from a few typos and grammar-glitches which seem to pop up in almost every Kindle book I've ever bought (no matter whether they were purchased free or full-price), I have no qualms about recommending this series to fans of the genre or even to those who just like a good action-yarn.

In fact on finishing this book, I immediately bought the remaining books in the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mental chewing gum., 19 Oct 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Good start, 21 Jun 2013
First book of the series is a promising start, though there are many similarities with Heinlein's Starship Troopers. Hope the following books move away from Heinlein's 'pattern'.

4.0 out of 5 stars New Generation "Starship Troopers", 1 Feb 2014
In a preface (to the Crimson Worlds Collection I) the author pays tribute to R.A. Heinlein's "Starship Troopers" and J Haldeman's "The Forever War" as influences. The imprint of the former is certainly evident - the first person narrative of a hero who joins an elite infantry corps that fights on distant planets in powered armour. Even the story layout is the same - kicking off with a sample battle, then backtracking to the hero's early life, enlistment and homicidally-tough training before going onto his involvement in other battles and promotion to officer rank. In "Marines", however, there are more battles, including starship engagements, described in much more tactical detail, and much less space devoted to boot camp and moral philosophy. Also whereas in Heinlein's work a united mankind fights bug-like aliens under an ideal (to the author) government endorsed by his hero, in Allan's future the enemy is human: eight tyrannical Earth superpowers contend for extra-solar colonies, and the hero despises the corrupt Western Alliance regime which he and the Marine Corps serve - this becomes important in the following books of the series. If there is a drawback it is that the first person viewpoint militates against seeing the other side of the hill, although this is somewhat offset by an appendix describing the various powers. Also Allan loses no opportunity to describe the guilt felt by the hero and fellow officers over troops killed under their command until it grates on the reader, while ignoring such issues as PTSD. Overall though a gritty, believable account of future warfare, with plenty of tactical meat for the military SF fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Military journal, 6 Nov 2013
I found it a strange challenge to keep reading a military journal, as that is what it felt like. I was going to stop reading it because I was expecting the normal kind of novel. Once I got used to the narative I found it a very interesting read with lots of interesting possibilities. I will purchase the second book

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Combat Sc-Fi, 2 Feb 2014
If you are a fan of Starship Troopers then you will enjoy this book, picked it up on a Kindle deal but have bought the others plus Gehenna dawn, can't wait for the next instalment.

5.0 out of 5 stars cracking military scifi, 14 Jan 2014
Nice simple read for when you are pretending to work with a great universe to develop more stories in bargain

2.0 out of 5 stars A series of dull encounters..., 21 May 2013
I am a fairly big fan of Mil Scifi and quite happy to give indie authors a go. I found this to be quite a frustrating book in that the author had plainly put together an interesting outline of a story but the actual execution was incredibly poor. An incredibly shallow book. Look elsewhere!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read compelling, 1 July 2014
I have to admit I have never heard of Jay Allan so on reading some of the reviews I thought what the hell read the first book see what it's like. I like to be able to read a book and if it has caught my imagination in the first few pages and pulls me into the story and I cannot put it down, its good.
I have to admit I had difficulty putting this book down and have had to really force myself to do so that I can get some sleep for work the next day.
It leaves you wanting to read the next book in the series which as soon as I finished this one I bought.
My advice try this book if you like it, the next books in the series are even harder to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Jun 2014
Really enjoyed this book. I don't read much sci-fi but this book gives me everything I enjoy...battles that are not all Gore and go on for chapters, political intrigue, interesting characters and written in a matter of fact style. The way the novel is written I felt was brilliant. It reads like a newspaper article, the language is simple and to the point and lots of information given in a clear and enjoyable way. Really pleased I purchased and the story looks to grow in book 2. Can't wait

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›