on 10 June 2013
I bought this solely for Monster Hunter. I personally didn't feel like I completely needed this as I had got use to using the touch screen for the camera. However, I think when the battles became more difficult and intense, I can't quite imagine not using this. The extra circle pad was helpful for changing the camera in a smoother and slick way. This was not the only benefit of the circle pad pro xl though as the extra shoulder buttons are definitely useful. I mapped these to also help move the position of the camera gradually left and right. This is more helpful when you need your thumb for performing attacks and you can't change the camera position with the extra circle pad at the same time. So in some cases, the extra buttons may be more helpful for camera changes for that reason.

I thought the downside would be the battery life since I'd prefer being able to charge the circle pad pro rather than replace with batteries but I've been playing Monster Hunter for at least 80 hours and the battery life of the circle pad pro is still seemingly going strong. My boyfriend absolutely refuses to play Monster Hunter without the circle pad pro so initially I have to give my one to him and ended up buying another one for myself again. For him this is compulsory for the game. The only downside I can think of is that it is slightly bulky for me but apart from that I can't really fault it. Battery life is great (my boyfriend has been playing Monster Hunter at least 10 more hours than I have and the battery on his one has not ran out yet) and I'm glad there's extra buttons along with the extra circle pad.

I'd recommend this for people who want to play Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Resident Evil Revelations and Metal Gear Solid.
on 24 March 2013
I pre-ordered this so I could play Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and it makes the game MUCH more enjoyable with the extra circle pad! :)

The Circle Pad Pro XL makes the 3DS much more comfortable to hold, it almost makes it feel like i'm playing the xbox 360 but have the portability of well... the 3DS. It's a much nicer experience, especially at home! However i'd prefer if ALL games on the 3DS were made to support this optional accessory. I feel that games like Zelda Ocarina of time would benefit from this accessory despite the automated camera functionality in the game being excellent.

So really, more game support would be beneficial and extra features like added battery life would have been nice for the price of this.

But overall i'm happy with my purchase and hope future 3DS games take advantage of it.
on 20 April 2013
This Nintendo 3DS XL Circle Pad Pro provides the user with an additional analogue stick, for games where you need to move the character and camera together. When attached, the 3DS XL looks rather frankenstein-esque, however, this accessory add-on is comfortable to use and the analogue stick provides good movement and is smooth. When attached to the console, the circle pad pro still gives you access to volume controls, the ability to charge the 3DS XL and access the headphone jack.

Do note that not all games work with the Circle Pad Pro. I have been using it with 'Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D', and the game is far easier to play using the additional analogue stick, than having to use the 'Y, 'X', 'A' and 'B' buttons previously. The Circle Pad Pro uses one AAA size battery and one is supplied in the box. Highly recommended for players who want a more comfortable control method, when playing games on the 3DS XL.
on 12 November 2014
having the original circle pad pro for the original 3ds and loving it, when i upgraded to the xl, i just had to have one for it, the size and curve it adds to the console just feels so good...its unfortunate that only a limited number of games use its functions though and its a "MUST BUY" for any monster hunter...the only downside i have personally found in it, is that because i love the size and curve of it so much, i have it clipped on for every game which mean s i have to unclip the 3ds from the circle pad pro every time i wish to change the game, with fear that doing it so much, one day it'll break because of it... a simple hole cut out around where the cartridge goes in would of made this perfect in every way... a great (and cheap) product that i just can't do without.
on 25 May 2013
I bought it for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and it is definitely a must have for this game (especially for underwater hunting).
on 20 November 2013
I bought this more to help with holding the 3DS XL which is top heavy, than to use it for its designed purpose as so few games support the second analog nub. It seemed silly to spend less on a grip when this has extra functionality should a future game I like use it.,

Unfortunately, as is always the case for Nintendo products, its clearly designed for tiny hands. Its more comfortable than the 3DS XL on its own, but its still far from ideal for adult hands.

It also feels a bit odd that the right shoulder button is completely replaced but the left one is just exposed, so they are a different shape and size. It would have made a lot more sense to make the pad taller and have both buttons with matching replacements. It also sucks that none of the circle pad pro buttons work on games without support for it, including the shoulder buttons. So if, like me, you are using it for comfort you have to stretch to the original R with your finger if using an incompatible game, which is 99% of the games.

Its such a shame, the L and R buttons are much nicer than the 3DS XL default ones, but wasted when hardly any games support them. The fact the right analog nub is far more loose than the one in my 3DS XL also cheapens the feel of the whole thing. Such a shame that Nintendo did not make more effort with this pad as it could have been superb.

If it had been a little taller they could have had the L and R buttons mechanically press the 3DS XL L and R buttons, so that they worked in ALL games. They could also have made it more ergonomic then too, as its restricted right now by trying not to be much taller than the 3DS XL itself. Instead, its a pretty mediocre package which is a shame, especially for the price.
on 17 October 2014
If you own Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate or Resident Evil Revelations chances are you probably already own this, if you're looking to get one of these for those games than it's a pretty good deal, but if you're wanting to get it for more games I highly suggest you do some research before purchasing.

The device feels surprisingly comfortable despite the extra bulk it adds to the system, I never felt my hands getting cramped nor did I have no troubles pressing the shoulder buttons or any buttons while playing, the circle pad feels more 'light' compared to the circle pad on the actual device.

Sadly, despite the device's comfort, the amount of games this accessory works for is very limited, the total number being eleven games, ten when you consider that one of the games only has support for the circle pad in it's Japanese version only.

The fact that the device also requires it's own AAA battery which has to be replaced is quite stupid, I'm a little confused why Nintendo didn't give the device a chargeable battery or just designed it so it ran on the battery of the 3DS.

It does what it's meant to, but I really don't see a reason for getting one, especially with the New 3DS/3DS XL models on the way. If you really need that extra camera control for Resident Evil Revelations and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate then this is a okay purchase, but if you're looking for something more out of it, I'd consider passing.
on 8 September 2014
For those who don't know me I am left handed and I have trouble with most games my worst offender is in fact Kid Icarus: Uprising (Nintendo 3DS) because I tried to play this game right handed (left hand on the circle pad and stylus on my right) and I have to admit that that was really uncomfortable that I traded in Kid Icarus one of my regrets that I have corrected.

So when I changed the controls around to being left handed (stylus on my left to aim and the ABXY buttons on my right to move Pit) which felt right for me but didn't feel right so this is where the Circle Pad Pro comes in and playing Kid Icarus has now been really comfortable.

Other titles like Kid Icarus: Uprising that are compatible with the Circle Pad Pro are... Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Nintendo 3DS),Resident Evil: Revelations (Nintendo 3DS),Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance] (Nintendo 3DS),Metal Gear Solid - Snake Eater (Nintendo 3DS) There are a few others too but I don't know them very well.
on 26 April 2013
I know the scale makes it a pretty ridiculous lump in your pocket but Monster Hunter is NOT the same game without it. In underwater sections there's literally no way to aim properly without the other sticks control of the camera.

With this product playing MH3U on the go becomes an identical experience to the home console versions.

If you're a Monster hunter player on the 3ds (and why wouldn't you be?!) this is absolutely crucial to own.

Besides with it you can easily use your 3ds as a lethal weapon due to the sheer scale of it.
on 24 February 2015
A good product for monster hunter 4, I bought a second-hand one due to stock not being available but it came pretty much like a brand new one apart from the battery wasn't supplied but that was easily solved.

The overall product is nice and tidy, easy to use and I tried it a few times with MH4 and the response from the pad is great. The only downfall is the weight, it feels too light which might sound strange. The 3DS XL is not a light product, but I put up with it fine, when I attached this to it every time I use the right-hand stick I can feel the lightness of the pad, it's hard to put into words what I mean but it doesn't feel right when using it. I think they could of put a bit more weight into the pad to add a bit more strength to it.

Apart from that it's great, it does what it says, it makes games like MH4 easier to play and I can't really fault it apart from the weight.