4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money!
Published 6 months ago by Mrs. S. M. Booth

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed Garmin customer.
Pre ordered mine and very pleased that it arrive on day of release. Having previously had years of great service from a basic TomTom One I was a reluctant convert to Garmin but so many bad reviews of latest tomtom products persuaded me to make the change. I really only wanted to add Europe for a long driving holiday and the old tomtom didn't have that.

I have...
Published 15 months ago by M. Curtis

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money!, 19 Mar 2014
Mrs. S. M. Booth (Faversham, Kent, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 2597LMT 5" Sat Nav with UK and Full Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates, Free Lifetime Traffic Alerts and Bluetooth (Electronics)
We bought this to replace our old Garmin as we were about to go to Poland, by road, for the first time. Amazingly you can put in your destination, which was across five countries (England, France, Belgium, Holland, germany and Poland) and it will just find the shortest route. It not only tells you, as do the others, to turn right or left but gives you the name of the street too. The only negative is that it sees delays on the route (anywhere on the 12 hour route) and asks you if you would like to take an alternative route. At first we were taking the alternative route until we realised that these delays were often 200 or 300 kilometers away and not likely to affect us but that the diversions would probably delay us more! Wish it would say how far away the delays were!

5.0 out of 5 stars Won me over, 19 Nov 2013
Not being a huge fan of Sat Navs I have to say this is fabulous. Purchased the week prior to going on holiday to the States, just in time to downloaded updated US maps, which did take a few hours but was well worth it. Sat Nav worked minutes after arriving and got us everywhere we asked it to, and even round a diverted route owing to a road closure. Images very clear and it's easy to use to find restaurants, shops and attractions. Did have a laugh at pronounciation of some of the US place names. The Garmin was a replacement for a Tom Tom which we had purchased a couple of weeks prior but which wouldn't let us load up US maps. Would highly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and lightweight device, 11 May 2013
Bought this on the day it was released in the UK. Amazon shipped the day before and it arrived on the day of release.

I've owned many Garmin devices in the past but never a dedicated car 'satnav' - previously used an old Garmin Oregon which must be about 10 years old now (also own treking/outdoor hand-held Garmin devices).

This Garmin (2597LMT) was a fantastic update: clear display, 3D maps, voice directions and easy destination entry. The traffic alerts are a bonus too.

Two days after receiving this Garmin, I tested it 'in anger' on a one week holiday to Cornwall. The ease of use and accuracy of the directions are excellent. Arriving at the holiday cottage, a quick button press located the nearest supermarket and directed us there. Whilst en route, the 'Up Ahead' feature showed fuel, toilets and refreshments on the journey and the traffic delays were updated as we went (with the option to re-route to avoid).

This 5" screen version is big (and clear) enough for use without being too big to carry around once you get out of the car - I think the 7" version would be more of a pain to carry (even with the girlfriend/wife/fiancee's handbag to store it!).

I recommend this device!

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed Garmin customer., 25 Jun 2013
M. Curtis "mmm" (UK) - See all my reviews

I have lots of reservations however about this Garmin not least of all was it failure to work properly after a couple of hours down the French motorway on day 1 of the two week drive through Europe for which I had specifically bought it (I had previously done a trip to scotland and the West country and it was fine then) ! The unit froze on us whilst driving and then having switched off would not restart it just kept cycling through a start up screen and then off again, and no amount of button pushing would stop it. Several hours of internet searching that evening and pushing bits of the screen to try to do a master reset seemed to sort it out in the end but I had by then lost all the trip data for that part of the journey, and all my favourites all put in for the trip we were on! I was not happy at all. If we had been on our own on the trip with no web access we would have had a serious issue, fortunately we had friends with us to assist and get us back on track on that day. We had paper maps etc, but not so easy locating hotels in strange town with those is it.!

A few more cons compared to my old and very basic tomtom.
You can't get all the info you need on the main screen. I want to see the current time, the distance and time to my destination all at a glance, tomtom does it, Garmin needs more presses of the screen to get all that. And I can't understand why they don't allow this, as you can customise the sidebar but you simply can't add the info to that I think you need. Very poor that. You should not need to touch the unit to get something as basic as the current time up. UPDATE, this model now has all the info on the screen you need, a software update put that right a few months ago. It makes this a far more friendly unit to use now..
Tomtom warms about toll roads etc when it plans a route, Garmin doesn't. You can add them as "avoidances" but it would be nice to get a warning beforehand.
Tomtom give you options to customise the sound of alerts, no flexibility at all with Garmin, you get what you a given.

Pros.
The ability to browse and zoom in and out of the maps is a lot better than on my old tomtom. And the overview map that shows mountains etc is a great way to get a feel for your trip and its then possibly to zoom right into the details of the route.

Routing.
Dodgy in my opinion, but aren't all sat navs! Several times Garmin has tried to take me off motorways for no apparent reason, or cut corners in small villages to take you down bumpy narrow back roads where its way better to carry on through on the main road.
This Garmin also has no option to set a route for walking, my old tomtom did, and so do older Garmins so why not this one? Particular stupid as it will remember where you parked your car if you need to find it but it then gives you driving directions back to it !

Beware if planning to use this somewhere like the Alps as we did. It will lose reception in the numerous tunnels and narrow gorges. OK I would expect it to do that but why then does it often show you miles away on the screen ? It knows you were on the road, it should know you were in a tunnel so why can it not just assume you are traveling along at a set speed on the same road. It can be very tricky when there is a junction just outside the tunnel as all routing is lost once it loses the sat signal and you just hope it gets it back quickly the other side.
And why on earth does it not have toll booths shown on the maps ? A pretty important feature in my opinion, and would be very useful to know ones coming up so you can can get ready but nothing at all is shown.
You can configure the side bar to show what's ahead. Its useful but why not somehow indicate if the petrol station for examlpe up ahead is on your route or off it ? You think one is coming up in a mile or so but in then disappears off the screen is it turns out its a few streets away and not on your actual route, not very helpful. Again tomtom does this better with on route and off route searching.

Traffic warnings
These seem to work but as is often the case with such things they are usually a bit behind and hold ups and gone before you get there. Several dire warnings driving down through France of 90 min delays were ignored by me and traffic was heavy but moving and any delay was minimal, nothing like that predicted. No doubt not the fault of Garmin that, but just a general warning on taking advice on such route diversions.

Bluetooth.
A bit disappointed that it will sync with my old Nokia phone but not read the phonebook, so not much use for dialing out. Its strange because my old phone works fine in my Audi with its own bluetooth it reads my phone book with no problem.

Screen and instructions etc.
I like the photo real junctions, lots of them on motorways across UK and Europe, they do help. Lane guidance when you get it also helps. On occasions however especially on some roundabouts the arrow on the screen seems a bit fat and you lose clarity on the actual direction you need to go. It would be great to get an overview map of your route and progress along it with one touch, you can get it but it takes multiples screen touches to do it.
I can't comment much on the voice instructions as most of my use has been in an open top car, and it not easy to hear them with the wind noise, and anyway I tend to rely on the screen by habit

Screen attachment.
Works fine for the most part but I have noticed you can get vibration through the car that will make the unit vibrate as well for a few seconds, (and that's worse in a sports car with stiff suspension) so mount not that solid, and if you are a bit heavy handed when pressing the screen the unit can move on the ball joint.

Garmin Basecamp.
I have tried to use this to do routes on the PC but have found it very frustrating and fiddly to use and gave up. Tyre was a lot better and easy to set up waypoints to then create routes using that.

Garmin Case
Bought the genuine case as well. Nice and easy to use but does not fully enclose the unit as side are elasticated so i dropped it, and unit still got a dent on the corner, another Garmin disappointment.

So there you go. I did plan to send it back after it let me down but its been fairly good since then. But overall I am a disappointed Garmin customer and wondering if I should have just forked out for new Europe maps for my old faithful tomtom and saved a bit of cash!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm in love with my Gar!, 4 Nov 2013
P.J. Arnold (Crewe, England United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Well I was afraid it wouldn't do all the things I wanted it to, but it does and does so much more besides. Its simply great at what it is and what it should do, especially setting up a multi stop journey, so easy so quick. It even remembers your favourite searches and places and next time they're just there waiting to be selected, it searches very quickly, it changes your route very quickly if you divert or miss a turn, and on the odd occasion there was traffic trouble it came up on the display.
The 7 inch display is very clear and easy to use, and using the Garmin universal dash mount (which is great too) you can place it in just the optimum position for un-obstructive yet easy glancing viewing. Its powered by a thicj cable from the cigarette lighter socket that also doubles as the traffic warning news aerial, so thats a little messy to sort out, but soon got used to it, especially as the device works so well and you start to fall in love with it.
There is a little downside to it though, I found when in city centres and you approach very complex junctions, the car symbol can move a little too slowly and you think its pointing to one road when in fact it wants you on another, so I did miss a road or two, but that could be my error, but it soon re-calculates and gets you back on track again, in seconds. The other gripe was the traffic service, which did not warn of a major snarl up around a huge roundabout in Preston that was being 'improved', hah, the works had clearly been going on for weeks and the traffic was backed up all over the place (had two major roads and motorway junction to sort out there), and yet it was not aware and so did not avoid the area, we drove straight in to the chaos.
However, overall its a fantastic piece of kit and cannot recommend it highly enough. My only other experience of a SatNav by the way is the one built into the dash of my Honda Cr-V, which is very good, but this Garmin simply blows it away.

1.0 out of 5 stars Chucked it out the window (really!), 17 Feb 2014
Imagine driving along with this thing in a city you don't know and just when you get to a junction it turns off. This keeps happening, and then it doesn't turn on again and when it finally does it says 'Don't use this whilst driving!", Health and Safety over the top. Also it keeps zooming out automatically so in a city with lots of small roads you can't tell exactly which turning you should take. Also it tries to take me down one way roads which have been one way for ages. I've used it in Paris and London and it just added to the stress of driving that I eventually threw it out the window in anger and used my android phone instead.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too clever for it's own good. Thoroughly check the pre-set preferences before you leave the house (may take a week or so!), 6 Sep 2014
Following Which recommendation, I switched from my old TomTom to Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT, which has traffic alerts (very useful) a couple of days before a trip to France. The intelligent voice was the first thing to go. If you think the UK names sound strange, the French is unintelligible. Instead of "Keep right" it says "You may take any of the three available right hand lanes" - Stupid! The Garmin is not user friendly in terms of where to find settings and doesn't come with a manual so it took a good while to find where to switch this off. It comes pre-loaded with unsuitable preferences which also took a while to locate and change. The worst of these was no u-turns, which meant every time we took a wrong turn (which was quite often as it also didn't have all the roundabouts and turnings on its map) it immediately re-routed to a longer and ropier route rather than telling us to turn around. It cannot differentiate between a major road and a farm track so we had some anxious moments in our camper van where turning around would have given a much more suitable route. I much prefer TomTom which doesn't re-route until that would be a quicker option. I also can't find a setting to avoid low bridges or tolls. I'm guessing it must be there somewhere. It has 3 English voices (which are all a bit snooty) so I will looking to see if there are others available - small point but it does rub you up the wrong way when the machine is already stressing you out! I have spent a long time at home going through the settings and setting my own preferences and I guess it will now be easier on the road. For the positive, the traffic alert was very useful and more accurate than Google in predicting delays ahead. I also liked the up ahead menu for finding petrol/food/toilets etc. TomTom I could plug in and go. Garmin I have to learn how to use. Its a bit like switching from a PC to a Mac: it looks better on the screen and you know there must be a way of changing that feature somewhere, but it will take a while to find your way around this unit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I was unlucky, 18 May 2013
I bought this GPS to replace a 6 year old Garmin, having deliberated as to which model to order for some time I was very pleased to order a newly announced Garmin GPS that seemed to be rich in features offering a specification I wanted.

The unit is pleasing to look at having a slim contemporary design. The menu system seemed reasonably intuitive and configurations seemed easy enough. I had read horror stories about the length of time updating maps to the latest version can take. I connected the unit to my PC, went through a registration process and received the message that the maps are fully up to date, so no problems there.

Fitting the device into the car is easy, the mount is secure and the unit easy to afix to mount.

I thought I would trial the unit on a 15 mile journey I know well, the route includes motorway, A roads, B roads and plenty of turns. Here is where the problems started and why the device has been returned. The route was calculated quickly, however the highlighted route disappeared and reappeared at random from the screen, spoken turn instructions were rare, the unit didn't even tell me to get off the motorway. Very few of the advertised features seemed to operate, for example, PhotoReal and BirdsEye Junction View and Active Lane Guidance. Also the speed limit was not displayed for any of the roads I travelled on. As a navigation device, it's useless. Maybe mine is defective and I will try a replacement but that was very disappointing.

In it's favour, I am sure this would be a good device should the it work properly. The ability to search on places of interest such as rail stations, cash points, restaurants etc was very good, much better than my previous old GPS. There is a useful side bar that can be configured to pop up showing what lies ahead in the next few miles - petrol, food and cashpoints, this seemed a nice feature. Pity the primary function of navigation simply didn't work.

5.0 out of 5 stars First time purchase of a Sat Nav., 10 Oct 2013
I have not had a Sat Nav before so was searching for value verses quality and I feel this model achieves this, the display is good and I have found the various apps easy to use. I used it to go to a London airport, as I rarely drive in that area and it was very comforting not having to think too hard about which lane etc to be in. I found entering my trip details easy and warnings for delays and hold ups were good. I would recommend this to someone not wishing to spend too much on newer models that may have all the latest gadgets but you end up not making use of them. My delivery was prompt and well packed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Impressed !!, 3 Sep 2013
Bought it so we could use it for our holiday to Spain.
Very slow to acquire satellites and kept freezing en route.
Got us lost numerous times and maps are not up to date.
Requested a replacement but, having subsequently read the review about it freezing in France, I'd be sceptical about using it abroad.