5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little hansdet!
Published 15 months ago by Uwais Hassan

3.0 out of 5 stars Proceed with caution
There were two key reasons why I purchased the Samsung Ativ 3G 700T 128GB SSD.
1. To reluctantly replace my old Sony Vaio Laptop and 2. Because I wanted it to seamlessly connect with my other Samsung mobile device.

Published 6 months ago by J. W. Cooksey

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little hansdet!, 15 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Samsung XE700T1C-A05UK 11.6-inch Tablet (Intel core i5 1.7GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 128GB Embedded Flash Drive, Windows 8 Professional) (Personal Computers)
The Samsung ATIV700T Smart PC is awesome. With the attachable keyboard it turns into a laptop and without it, is still a very fast tablet. With Windows installed, it's just like using a normal laptop or computer. It is a little on the heavy side I must admit for a tablet, but the spec is brilliant and very convenient to use. Attaching the keyboard is a little tricky at the beginning, but after sliding the tablet into the keyboard piece, a slight lift of the tablet at the ending of the keyboard piece is required to fully install the tablet into the keypad. Other than that, it's pretty much like using a super fast laptop, just with a smaller screen. Ideal to take on journeys or to Uni etc. Like I said, a little heavy but once you get used to it, its a treat.
Very fast delivery from Techno World as well, next day, I wasn't expecting that I must say! Thank You.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good all-rounder, 26 Dec. 2013
I was looking for a Windows 8 tablet which I could also use as a laptop. I was looking at Microsoft's Surface Pro 2, Dell's Venue, and HP's offerings, but Samsung's convertible laptop fitted the bill. Not only did it need to include an attachable and comfortable keyboard (or charge a reasonable price if it's an optional extra), but also a stylus. The good thing about this product, is that both are included (and there is a place to stick your stylus when you're not using it so it doesn't get lost)! I also wanted an i5 core processor (with wireless display, or WiDi), and 4 GB of RAM, and this was actually one of the cheapest to include these features. I also wanted at least a 10 inch screen, and at 11.6 inch, the screen on the Samsung laptop is not too big for me, but understandably, maybe for some.

Bear in mind, these features mean you're not going to get the slimmest or lightest tablet in the world, but if you want ultra-thin portability, that comes at a cost - be it features, or money.

The main thing lacking in this package is that there is no embedded battery in the keyboard, unlike some of HP's convertible laptops, but at 8 hours, the battery life is quite adequate. I just wouldn't go too mad with apps etc. when you're not plugged in. The weight of an embedded battery would also help the laptop not to topple over, as once the screen is connected to the keyboard dock, it becomes top-heavy.

Storage is 128 GB which, as with most manufacturers, is taken up a lot by bloatware. You could just delete it, but the remaining storage should be ample for most people. If it's not, you can always do my way of having networked storage, or have a portable hard disk with you. Saying that, 128 GB is much better than 64 GB, which is what most tablet/laptop convertibles would offer at this price for solid state drives.

Connectivity is also pretty good with this product. As a tablet, you have a micro HDMI port, a USB 3.0 port, and a microSD card slot, as well as a jack for the charger. Once it becomes a laptop, you get an extra 2 USB 2.0 ports and another jack for the charger. The extra USB ports are handy for connecting a mouse, as the touchpad is awkward to use. But don't forget the stylus, and the fact that it is a touchscreen. The only main thing that you might wish for is an ethernet port, but as a portable device, personally it's the last thing I would worry about with decent WiFi in this day in age. There is also Bluetooth and Intel Wireless Display (WiDi), so you can wirelessly connect this product with an HDMI TV with Netgear's Puch2TV or other similar product.

So to sum up:

Good:

Decent size screen (not too small, or big for me)
Good package with keyboard and stylus included
Good connectivity
Feature packed
Excellent price

Poor:

Touchpad design
Bloatware
No embedded battery in the keyboard.

So to conclude:

As a convertible laptop, it is a great all rounder, and is very pleasant to use. However certain features have been overlooked which could have made this an excellent product. One of the best features is the price, which makes this laptop convertible a much better valued alternative to Microsoft's Surface Pro 2 and Dell's offerings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied, 26 Jan. 2014
Was delivered with next day delivery by a courier. Initial setup was a breeze. I had previously owned a netbook, then a tablet pc with an atom processor. Although I had liked the tablet pc it was a bit slow with some lag especially when multiple programmes were running and hence bought this laptop. Having used it more than a month Im glad I bought this hybrid tablet. Initially when I attached the keyboard dock it would disengage when I swivel the tablet but since using it for some time that's not a problem anymore. I wish there was a secondary battery in the keyboard, but at the moment I get about 6-6 1/2 hrs and lasts a day easily. Screen resolution is good. Able to run multiple programmes and photoediting editing softwares without any lag. Laptop switches on within seconds due to having 128gb ssd. and I have added a 64gb microsd. there is a 1 x usb 3 port in the tablet itself and 2 x usb 2 in keyboard. There is a micro hdmi port which I use to connect to external monitor. For connecting to projector I have a bought a micro hdmi to vga connector which cost about £4 to buy online. Having a digitiser pen a big bonus. Its very sensitive, has a 1024 pressure sensitivity. Drawing with it is a breeze. Some people have complained its too small, but for me it felt fine. There is a eraser function on the other end. But it is easy to get another full size Wacom digitiser pen with eraser for professional, which is not too expensive. I haven't had any problems so far. All driver are upto date with a software updater provided by Samsung. My laptop has never crashed. Having bought the laptop at a discounted price of £680, it was the best investment. 4 stars mainly because of battery otherwise definitely a five star product.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great hybrid, 5 Jan. 2014
Shaun Dowdall "Shaun Dowdall" (York, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Well my Samsung Ativ PC Pro has just arrived and I'll be writing my thoughts on the device one day at a time. So far I'm very impressed by it and I look forward to using it more and seeing how it really performs in real world usage. So what will I look at when reviewing this beast?

Samsung

Right now I use a MacBook Air which I absolutely love. Its a great piece of kit and does most things that I need but its getting old and lacks power now. I also love the form factor of something like the Ativ PC Pro and I'm intrigued to see how well it performs as a tablet and also ultrabook. Obviously I do a lot of writing and the Mac has proved to be a great companion for all of my notes and work. I'll take the Ativ PC Pro for a real spin and see how productive it really can be!

Day One

I've been using the Ativ PC Pro for just over 24 hours now and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised. I felt that I was going to be underwhelmed by this tablet due to the negativity that Windows 8 has received but I've got to admit that the OS actually performs very well. The tablet feels premium and performs well handling pretty much everything I've thrown at it. I've spent most of my time installing my applications and customising the device but so far I'm impressed.

My first impressions of the OS is that it offers the best of both worlds. On the one hand I have the traditional desktop mode which I've spent most time using with my tablet docked in the keyboard. This performs exactly how you would expect from a Windows device. I've not had a chance to spend much time with Modern UI but from my brief play it handles well and gives a touch friendly environment. The thing that I love about this device when compared to other tablets is that it offers me everything. There's no need to worry about where I will download my media content for example, I've got the choice to use iTunes or Google Music and I don't need to worry about converting files. This is a full Windows experience and I love it so far.

So the device itself, what's it like? Nice, very nice. It's obviously bigger than your traditional tablet but that suits me just fine. It feels premium and when docked in it's keyboard it feels and handles like an ultrabook. It's on the heavy side so one handed use will get uncomfortable after a while and it's also very long so using this device in portrait seems odd. It has all the ports I require and doesn't really compromise on anything.

One of the biggest advantages is also the biggest let downs. I went for the Samsung Ativ PC Pro over the Microsoft Surface Pro due to it's keyboard dock. The keyboard is great to use and the trackpad works well although it is a little on the small side. However the keyboard disconnects that are so widely reported are exceptionally annoying causing the keyboard to disconnect at even the slightest movement. The dock also feels extremely cheap and light which is odd considering how well made the tablet itself feels. It's a shame that Samsung didn't really go to the same effort in building the keyboard dock as they did the tablet. What I would have loved to see is something that employs the same materials as the tablet and perhaps uses bluetooth to connect with the tablet to avoid disconnection issues.

I've installed a couple of games onto the tablet just to test out how well it handles them. So far I've tried out Torchlight 2 and Guild Wars 2 and both games have handled well. As I mentioned I've not had a great deal of time yet to really test out the tablet but I'll get some benchmarks etc in my day 2 experience.

Day Two

Well another day down and I'm still impressed by the Ativ. One thing that has struck me is how well the battery performs. I expected a couple of hours at best but I've squeezed over to 5 hours of screen on time and a couple of these were spent playing Guild Wars 2. Considering the power needed to keep this going it doesn't overheat even when gaming and just keeps on performing.

So when it comes to gaming how well does it actually do it? It's acceptable but won't blow your socks off. If you're looking for something that's going to act as your gaming machine then look elsewhere, perhaps the Razer Edge? Yes the Ativ can game but it doesn't deliver stellar performance. My session in Guild Wars was relatively smooth but bear in mind I had to drop all settings to low and lower the resolution to 720. The other problem I faced when gaming with this tablet was the keyboard dock. For whatever reason you cannot use the trackpad simultaneously with the keyboard which makes controlling your character difficult. I just hooked up a bluetooth mouse and problem solved but still it's just another flaw with the dock.

I also decided to spend a few hours using the Ativ as a tablet because lets face it Windows 8 has been marketed at the touchscreen crowd. Desktop performed reasonably well with only a few icons being too small to hit
but at the end of the day it's what you would expect. What I really wanted to find out is how well Modern UI performed. It was all lovely, pleasant boring. It just felt like a really dumbed down windows and left me constantly longing for my keyboard and mouse. It's ok for those occasions when space is limited but in comparison to the likes of Android left me feeling underwhelmed. The other issue with using the Ativ as a tablet only is its weight! After a few minutes of using this I had to rest it somewhere because it is big. It's also long which makes using it in portrait feel a little bit odd.

So to sum up if you plan on using it as a tablet only it maybe worth looking at other options unless you need the sheer power of this machine. However if like me you want a good mix and a hybrid machine then don't let my experience of using it as a tablet put you off.

Day Three

I think I've got a good grasp of how well this tablet performs now. I went into this wondering if I would be getting rid of my MacBook and using only one device. My expectations were low, Windows 8 hasn't exactly had a great ride since it's launch. So what's the outcome?

I love it! Sure there are things that aren't up to scratch within the OS but for the most part it does what it needs to and its got a lot of polish and even better it offers a full desktop OS unlike any others offer right now. I can load up all my old applications and also play full PC games on my tablet. No other OS gives me this power right now and that's where Windows 8 beats Android and iOS hands down.

When it comes to hardware I love pretty much everything about the tablet. It gets a little hot when under heavy load but its not uncomfortable. The biggest let down is the keyboard dock which has an appalling trackpad and is missing so many features. It's just too light so tips over on non flat surfaces, could have been solved with an additional battery and the disconnection issues... the less said about that the better. If Samsung can manufacture a better dock then this device will be absolutely fantastic.

3.0 out of 5 stars Proceed with caution, 6 Aug. 2014
J. W. Cooksey "Sharkie" (Riyadh, Saudi Arabia) - See all my reviews
There were two key reasons why I purchased the Samsung Ativ 3G 700T 128GB SSD.

My initial reactions were that, the touch screen was really slick, it was detachable from the keyboard, the unit was lighter than my previous laptop, battery life was very good, startup was an amazing 5 seconds and I felt quite at home with the keyboard.

However, anyone thinking of buying the Ativ 700T for seamless connectivity with their Samsung devices proceed with caution. Anyone who does not possess at least some reasonable computer problem solving skills should consider an alternative. In hindsight and knowing that it seems to be completely devoid of any ability to support my Samsung device, I would definitely have considered an alternative.

The device came with quite a number of frustrating issues which gradually manifested themselves over a few days of use and seem to be common knowledge in the internet community and with no effort by Samsung to address. So I am going to list the real pain points:

My screen brightness went berserk after a couple of days in a low light environment even though the "Adjust my screen brightness automatically" in Windows and "Adaptive Brightness" in Control Panel were switched off. At that point I was ready to throw the thing against the wall. However a chance message displayed during boot-up in darkness made me investigate the Device BIOS where I found the BIOS Adaptive brightness set to On. Now it is off and I have had no problems since. However accessing the BIOS using the keyboard was fruitless and I only succeeded after I detached the tablet from the keyboard and pressed the windows button during start up.

Trying to get any files or images from my Samsung Note 2 onto the Ativ in any shape or form using the Samsung apps has for the most part been frustratingly unsuccessful.

FAIL - Samsung Kies by USB no longer works with my Note 2 even though they offer a version that supports Note 2. Kies by WiFi is sketchy at best, but does not provide a standard backup facility anyway.

FAIL - The NFC (Near Field Communication) between the Samsung Ativ 700T and Note 2 gave a message on the Note 2 that the receiving device (Ativ) does not support the transfer of large files. If a 155 KB word doc is a large file then the NFC on the Ativ is all but useless. I have not experienced this problem with other Samsung mobile devices.

FAIL - The NXP Proximity Device Driver could not be loaded by Windows but eventually resolved itself after a month.

FAIL – The device constantly lost Internet connectivity to my wireless network via a repeater even though every other device in the house worked flawlessly. I eventually resolved this by uninstalling and reinstalling an older Intel Network Adapter device driver.

PARTIAL FAIL - Transfer of files through Bluetooth would fail half way through the transfer process but after fiddling with settings I got it to work, but can't recall how and am too frightened to fiddle anymore in case I lose the one valuable connection I have managed to establish!

FAIL - Samsung SideSync does not work either by WiFi or USB. The Ativ detects my device but goes into a sound loop and no connection is achieved.

There is no LAN Connector on the device. This became an issue when I was trying to setup a WiFi repeater that required a direct connection to a laptop to be configured. This may be a problem if you need a direct LAN connection in a hotel room.

As a replacement laptop/tablet I am very satisfied, but interms of compatibility with other Samsung devices I am very disappointed that it dd not fulfill my expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I need, 26 Dec. 2013
I bought this for the stylus capability. it writes wonderfully. excellent for this alone. I recommend this to every one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Docking issues, 27 Jun. 2014
I bought this rather expensive tablet/notebook and wish I hadn't. Samsung have a huge design fault in the docking of the screen to the keyboard. In less than a year this has broken twice. If you look at other comments posted on the internet they all say the same thing- that the docking looses connectivity really easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars good product, 26 Jan. 2014
Everything good, five star product. I recommend it to you who are looking for a notebook with a tablet. Happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Fast quick to boot, 10 Jan. 2014
This laptop/tablet is awesome at least for me.
I simply love this product. It is light weight if we compared to a laptop.
But like an ipad but come on its a full laptop with all amazing specs so 900g is not bad.
It is very quick to boot and i love using the stylus.
Thumps up for this great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent windows hybrid, 9 Jan. 2014
Mr. M. Rogers "Mark Rogers" (Dawlish, Devon) - See all my reviews
This is my first widows 8 tablet and it works well. arrived with windows 8 and took an age to install all the updates the upgrade itself to 8.1. Quite heavy for a hybrid but quite powerful.
screen is excellent and stylus very useful because of the high resolution.
a reasonable size compromise between usability and portability.
battery life seems a little short. non removable battery a concern for the future as i usually find i require a new battery on my laptops after 18 months to 2 years.
power switch on top edge tends to mean I end up turning the pc on\off when inserting it into the keyboard dock.
good selection of ports though a couple of extra usb ports on the base would improve it as would additional battery.
A docking station would also have been a useful extra especially if added additional ports and charging.
Overall a neat powerful compact unit though I still tend to use my android tablet when travelling.