1,700 Reviews
 (1,214)

5.0 out of 5 stars More Durable than Apple's version
After having yet another Apple Lightning Cable fail on me due to the part just below the Lighting Connector fail I decided to try the AmazonBasics version:

Published 1 month ago by Craig James Duffy

1.0 out of 5 stars Short life
Cable sheath cracked and split after two weeks ,poor design . Same fault as other s ,this item needs a really good design review . Fed up wasting money .
Published 11 months ago by Keith Douglas

5.0 out of 5 stars More Durable than Apple's version, 27 Aug 2014
This review is from: AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable - 6 Feet (1.8 Meters) - Black (Electronics)

First off, this is officially certified for iPhone and thus does not cause your iPhone/ iPod / iPad to pop up saying "This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this [Insert Product]" as many others do. Additionally, since this cable is officially certified it meets as the electrical safety and maximum throughput requirements that the Apple cables do. However, this is not the case with many third party cables which you can buy for say a 10th of the price. Look for the "Made for iPhone" branding on the front and you know it will be reliable, safe and worthwhile buying.

In comparison to the official Apple cables the AmazonBasics version feels a lot tougher: after three months of heavy use the cable still appears brand new whereas with the Apple cables I found that the area below the Lighting Connector seemed to pick up a lot of wear and tear. This is not the case with this cable.

Bottom line is that this cable is exactly the same as the Apple Cable in functionality however it comes with a lower cost, greater length and greater durability so if you need to replace your Lighting cable this is the way to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it is supposed to, 2 April 2013
Mr. Simon M. Collins (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
Ok so its just a cable what is there to review? Well if like most of us you have been looking for a spare lightning cable for your iphone5 / ipad 3 you didnt want to spend mega bucks and probably went for one of several £4ish cables for sale on Amazon / Fleabay. I did the former and whilst it worked for about 6 weeks I soon got problems where it would just randomly stop charging from a PC USB, then would only work with the plug one way then it just died. I complained to the Amazon Marketplace retailer and they told me they stopped selling them (Says it all really) but they did give me a refund.

I kinda wished I had just plumped for a genuine Apple article from the off even though they are £15 (some deals have been had at Carphone Warehouse etc for around £12 but I couldn't find one). That said I looked on Apple.com and even the reviews of their own cables are pretty bad so that put me off.

Then I saw this Amazon basics cable for £12 and the initial reviews were all good. So I ordered one and 1 month later it is still working fine with no issues whatsoever. Always charges, works either way round and has a chunky well made feel to both the cabling and the connectors at each end. Those of you with iphone5 wrapped in a case that surrounds the lightning port may well have issues if your case encroaches past the bevelled edge (the polished line on the White iphone5) on both the front & rear of the phone as the connector is chunky. Personally I have no case and just have protective film on the back so no issue for me.

Fingers crossed this cable is still working in 6 months time. At least if its not I have Amazon's no quibble warranty. Shame they don't do a white version to match my phone but now I am just being picky.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 4 Jun 2013
This is a sturdy stylish and affordable alternative to Apple's own lightening charger. No problems with it so far so goog

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 21 Oct 2013
Mr. Adam Taylor (Tenterden, Kent) - See all my reviews
Purchased two of these lightening cables and happy to report that they support iOS 7. Successfully charging my iPad Mini and iPhone 5 as I write this review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, 15 May 2013
Well made good tight fit when inserted in to my phone. Connected to the power adapter with no problems. Good value for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Replacement, 22 Aug 2014
Used with iPhone 5s

Performance wise, this cable is just as good as the cable that is supplied by Apple. The phone begins to charge immediately after plugging the cable in, there's no delay. There is no drop in sync speed between iTunes and the iPhone either when connected to the PC. As expected, both sides of the lightning connector work with the device.

In terms of style, everything is slightly bigger. The plastic housings of the USB and lightning connectors are both slightly wider and longer than the Apple cable, and the both have single a sided branding of AmazonBasics. The wire is also thicker than the Apple wire. But, this is trivial in my opinion. It does all that is asked of it and it feels as though it will last much longer than the Apple cable. I purchased the six foot cable and already I am glad to be rid of my USB extension.

All in all, if you're after a replacement for your Apple charger that has no doubt turtlenecked and split, then look no further. I'm happy enough that I've just ordered a 30-pin connector charger to replace my tired Apple cable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes charging the I pads so much easier., 28 Jan 2014
Bought 2 of these for my sons. They can now happily play on the I pads while they charge. The leads supplied with the pads are so short. These are great and I have 2 happy boys now .

5.0 out of 5 stars as described, 14 May 2013
the lead was to replace a apple opriginal that broke and is as described - used on a daily basis with no problems.

1.0 out of 5 stars Short life, 19 Nov 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars ..."a worthy alternative"..., 27 Sep 2014
I bought this to replace my Apple cable that had broken (a common problem) and was attracted by the fact that as well as being much cheaper, it was twice the length.
This made it, for me, much more user friendly as I no longer have to sit next to the plug socket to continue using my phone as it charges.

The cable is noticeably thicker than Apple's which hopefully will make it sturdier and less prone to splitting and breaking and aside from this (and the logo on the plugs) it performs the same as my Apple one did.
There is no change to the speed in which it charges and the lightning connector fits into the phone either way (logo facing up or down).
The availability of colour choice(black or white) was also a plus for me as I purchased one of each and gave one to my son.(no more disputes over who has who's charger!)

I have only been using this cable for about 5 weeks so only time will tell whether or not it lasts as long as the Apple one but
it is advertised as 'Apple certified' and although I am unclear as to exactly what that means, I figure that if it lasts a year I will be money in pocket.
All the signs are good so far and at practically half the cost(£13 compared to £25) I think this could prove a worthy alternative to Apple's own replacement charger cable.