4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping post-apocalyptic tale
I was recommended this book by a friend, and must remember to thank him. This was a terrific read. Set in Britain after a terrifying virus has wiped out the global population, it follows a young man who has been fending for himself since the plague.

The author paints a compelling and disturbingly realistic picture of life for the lone survivor of a disaster. A...
Published 16 months ago by James Adamson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea
The story revolves around a young boy who lost his family and all that would keep you young person sane. Somehow he seems to have a very grown up attitude, well beyond his years. It is this element that just does not fit. His attitude is all wrong. The character needs to be older or some kind of genius. Still it's worth a read to make your own mind up.
Published 3 months ago by Mr. James Rutherford

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read!, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Wanderer (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this story. It tells of a young man left alone after a virus kills off most of the rest of the population.Till he finds a young mute girl then trys to protect her from the harsh world. A good read!.

4.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly good read, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Wanderer (Kindle Edition)
I have to be careful not to give anything away about the story. Suffice to say that this book is well written and I got through it quickly. Oddly, it's almost a story about nothing - but a nothing that is eminently readable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting story, well written, 22 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Wanderer (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this story on the Kindle. I am a fan of post-apocalyptic thrillers but more often than not, my downloads have been poorly written with weak characters. This story is fantastic and I recommend it 100%. Set after a disease outbreak, the story follows a young man who is alone in his world. The difference between this and the movie "I Am Legend" is that our hero here is not a resourceful, skill-equipped scientist. He's a normal character who is left to survive with nothing and no-one. I can not recommend the book enough - if you buy it, you will want more. I've contacted David (the author) and asked for a sequel - do the same! He will give in eventually!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Over sells Sunderland, 6 Aug 2013
Robohammer (Mersea Essex England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wanderer (Kindle Edition)
Just finished reading on my Kindle. Similar style to The Road which does get name checked cleverly in the story. Post apocalyptic Sunderland sounds better than the current town.I was glad to read in the sunshine as the poor boy has a miserable time but unlike The Road there is a fairly uplifting "ending". Very good page turner, ideal holiday reading and apart from the Americanism "gotten" word which is a personal no no very well written. More of the same please!The Wanderer

5.0 out of 5 stars an interesting read, 2 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Wanderer (Kindle Edition)
A bit of a slow start, and also with the genre you always think that in the position of the title character there is so much more that you can do to help yourself but that is what makes it interesting, I did enjoy the book and look forward to the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 9 July 2013
This review is from: The Wanderer (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this book. I have never specifically had an urge to read horror or post-apocalyptic novels but I certainly will again after this outing.
The first section of the book is brilliantly descriptive, and portrays a haunting quality that perfectly sets the scene, and you gain a real understanding of the boys troubles. Whilst the surrounding events can be gripping the author still manages to find very relate-able troubles for the hero.
There is a distinct change in the second segment of the book, which provides some more dramatic moments and brings new elements to the story which prove to be gripping, exciting, and provides an eventual real affinity with the lead characters.
Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent first novel, 9 May 2013
This review is from: The Wanderer (Kindle Edition)
I was recommended this book, and being intrigued by the premise, I decided to give it a go. I am so pleased I did! The book kept me hooked from the start.

The Wanderer tells the story of a survivor of a global apocalypse. David Anderson paints a realistic picture of what the world might be like. He pushes you outside of your comfort zone, and makes you think about how you would be able to cope if you were in the boy's shoes.

The story is fast-paced enough to keep you turning the pages (or pressing the button, on the kindle!), but not so fast that you can't keep up with everything that is happening. I won't go into detail on the plot, because then you will have nothing to discover! However, there were a few moments where I found myself anxious as to how the boy would get out of certain situations, again, the writing is so good that you don't see twists and turns coming.

As soon as I finished this book, I also purchased another book by David Anderson - The Window. The Window
It is a short story, which is incredibly well written, and also very realistic. Anderson seems to understand how people might react in a variety of situations - he does not write predictable or clichéd characters - he writes real people - they could even be the person sitting down from you on the bus.

I actually read this book a while ago, but was reminded of it today, so I started reading it again. I have had to force myself to put my kindle down, not only to write this review, but also to plan my lessons for tomorrow!

I am eagerly waiting for the next story from David Anderson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written - a good post-apocalyptic novel, 9 April 2013
Robosquid (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wanderer (Kindle Edition)
I do love post-apocalyptic novels and this is a good example of the genre. I understand that it is a first offering by this author and will look out for future releases by him.

I've read many other self-published (KDP) books recently but few can match this in terms of quality of writing. The story hangs together well; there is good pace and structure with plenty of flashbacks to explain how 'the boy' came to be where and who he is. Interestingly, the boy is alone for about half of the story and is unnamed, so there is obviously very little dialogue to play with. This is skillfully executed and we have a strong sense of place, decay and menace in the city.

Oh, and no spelling or grammar mistakes that I spotted - hooray!

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 10 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Wanderer (Kindle Edition)
I would really recommend buying this book. The book is very well written and the level of detail included vividly transports you to the main characters world. It is a very addictive read. A must for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great fast paced read, 18 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Wanderer (Kindle Edition)
The book really gripped me from start to end, a professional read with such attention to detail you really thought you were there. Left me wanting more.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›