TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 December 2015
I wanted to like this book based on the title and my high regard for Dan Kennedy. I had expectations of adding it to my list of books I like my clients to read.

Too many businesses make basic marketing mistakes because "advertising media" salespeople and graphic designers like pretty marketing. To them it doesn't matter if it works - that is it makes more sales and profit - provided it looks good and is seen to help build the right image for the company. I expected this book to help break the image myth and to focus attention on the money issue. It doesn't do it enough. There are ten "No BS" rules which are useful but that is one chapter.

There is the usual stuff about market - message - media match which is the essence of effective marketing but it is not covered as well as in The Ultimate Marketing Plan also by Dan Kennedy.

That takes you to page 39. Then you run into the stuff from Dan Kennedy students and clients who have become the gurus in their own niche areas using direct marketing. In theory there is nothing wrong with the case studies but too often they are pitches for their own businesses. Some are much better than others in that they stir the emotions and you can imagine how you would respond if you were in the niche. Others are blatant promotions which don't hit home. Most of the chapters of No BS Direct Marketing end with samples of the campaigns but you need a magnifying glass to be able to read them.

I like the idea of showing how traditional businesses like dentists, chiropractors, mortgage brokers and retail can be transformed through the effective use of direct marketing but better quality control and editing was needed.

I'm grading it as a 3 star book. I am disappointed. There is some merit in reading it but I can't recommend that anyone unless you are an extreme Dan Kennedy addict who wants to read everything by this legendary marketer.
on 19 October 2014
Some good advice, but rather dated in parts. More to do with pre-internet marketing days. Some internet stuff tagged in, but
the whole book needs to be thoroughly updated.
on 14 April 2014
A great insight into a marketing geniuses mind, I thought I knew a lot about direct marketing until I read this book. This book will change the future of my business for sure
on 28 January 2014
I don't need 20 words to say that all of Dan kennedys books are amazing.

Every page packed full of top quality business transforming material
Dan has a way with words which some people may not take to but it is all solid advice based on real world experience. I have found this book to give me a new drive in my business. Worth the money many times over.
on 3 March 2014
Excellent read for anyone looking to get some good knowledge about direct marketing. Would highly recommend this book to others
on 4 September 2014
Excellent book - as you would expect from Dan Kennedy.